Images

Orlando Asks:

I’m just wondering why we can not add images on our articles. Now days, bandwidth volume or downloading speed is not a big deal anymore.

Great question here’s why we don’t allow images in articles:

• It has nothing to do with cost or download speeds.
  • It has to do with a test we did a year ago where we tested image ads. The campaigns did well for us, but significantly cut down on the CTR (Click Through Rate) on the links in the Resource Boxes…essentially halving the traffic we were sending to our members.
  • That means yes, we are forgoing image ad revenue in exchange for our members receiving the current high volume of visitors leaving EzineArticles.

Everytime I look back at which decisions helped ensure our growth rate, it was our decisions on what we didn’t do that kept the model in tact. Simplicity, speed, usability, & functionality/utility rules.

Judy H. Wright writes:

Thanks Chris:

Greetings from beautiful Montana. I am drinking tea from the mug you sent me.

I have been wodnering about this too. It really just shows that when one person has a question there are hundreds out there wondering the same thing.

You will be pleased to know I am back in the saddle again and submitting articles like crazy.

Good luck and keep doing what you are doing.

Judy H. Wright aka Auntie Artichoke, family relationship coach and author

Comment provided July 2, 2008 at 9:16 AM

I think you might consider that there could be a difference between image ads that offer a distraction from articles and an image used in an article to help authors illustrate a concept. I’m not sure I see how the latter would decrease click through in the resource box. Has that been tested separately from the image ad testing?

It’s likely that most articles do not need images, but there are times when one good illustration can improve understanding tremendously.

Of course, if there are associated illustrations for an article, that could be a good way to refer people to a Web site for more.

Comment provided July 2, 2008 at 9:18 AM

Hanifa K. Cook writes:

Hi Chris and all,

I have built up readership through ezine even without images. I suppose having images is good but it defeats the purpose of us being called ‘Expert Authors’, as advertised. You have just given me an idea actually. I would use the resource box to direct readers to my website and there they will find the illustrations and images if they need to understand more. No images permitted, no problem for me. Saves me time and money in graphics layout. What I need is advice on how to improve our writing skills in order that ezine readers will want to click on to our websites. Cheers.

Comment provided July 2, 2008 at 10:39 AM

Kris Franson writes:

You are right Orlando. Bandwidth is growing fastly day by day so every website must allow upload of pictures and videos. After all we can/t share our emotions well without these.

Kris Franson
addictionrecovery.net/colorado

Comment provided July 2, 2008 at 1:19 PM

Actually, being on a few other sites that allow images, I don’t think they are a good idea. So many use copyrighted images without permission, not understanding what is and is not ‘legal’ to use. Then there’s the issue of a publisher picking up the article in plain text and the article being dependent upon the pic so the author looks silly when it’s posted around without it.

I don’t think pics are necessary for traffic, since the majority of traffic should be coming from search engine results where images aren’t even seen until the surfer gets to the page anyway – or else from targeted traffic (like the ezines folks sub to).

I know I hear a lot of talk about the value of images and I do put them on my blogs to complement things, but I’ve found no increase in traffic between the two (images and non-images) on my blogs. Shrug.

Plus, ah, I’m a writer, not a photographer. To be blunt, I just don’t like messing with pics…LOL

Comment provided July 2, 2008 at 1:44 PM

Hendry Lee writes:

The test may show different result with content supported images. However, it makes the content hard to copy though.

Many publishers copy the text without clicking on the Ezine Publisher icon.

EZA will be a place where they hotlink too, or broken images if EzineArticles allows images from other hosts.

I agree. Simplicity, speed, usability, & functionality/utility rules.

Comment provided July 2, 2008 at 2:19 PM

Not having images makes sense. People that have re-used an article have not (that I’ve seen) added images.

Comment provided July 4, 2008 at 1:52 AM

Angela Booth writes:

Thanks for NOT adding images. It keeps the attention on our articles. :-)

I can’t see how images would include clickthroughs in any way at all.

Cheers

Angela

Comment provided July 5, 2008 at 8:27 PM

Stan Pontiere writes:

As I run articles about photography, it is extremely hard to demonstrate a technique without a visual. You know the age-old saying that one image is worth a thousand words.

Comment provided July 8, 2008 at 1:37 PM

@Stan Pontiere

I write articles on programming and can’t use HTML code samples because you can’t post code in an article. The solution is to use one of your links in the sig line as a link to your images.

Comment provided July 8, 2008 at 2:50 PM

Richard,

You can include CODE in an article by using the < XMP > tags.

Comment provided July 8, 2008 at 10:38 PM

Marks writes:

I was thinking the exact same thing. Glad you guys cleared that up.

Comment provided July 11, 2008 at 2:56 AM