EzineArticles Members Who Pass On

Statistically speaking, enough of our members have now actually died that we receive a letter every once in a while from an executor of an estate asking what their loved one has in terms of an account and articles with us.

How we’re handling it: EzineArticles has a new membership level called “Posthumous” for when this happens. Technically we should have called the status “Deceased” but a few years ago an author had works queued to be approved, she was an American soldier killed in battle, and her works were published after her death… thus the proper use of the word “posthumous” or after death.

Scary thing is that I’m pretty certain a good handful of our members have died and we just haven’t been notified yet.

The lesson: If you care about your content after you’re no longer a carbon based life form, be sure to include in your Will what your wishes are in terms of what to do with the content you’ve spent a lifetime creating.

Dave Jackson writes:

Whoa, never thought of that, Chris… Good advice!

Kind regards,

Comment provided July 15, 2008 at 10:39 AM

Jim Kesel writes:

Actually this is a great way to gather some degree of immortality. In addition a loved one could find some solace in reading the works of the departed.

I would bet that most family members have no idea that their loved ones works are published on EzineArticles. The will idea is interesting.

Comment provided July 15, 2008 at 11:28 AM

Can we not do something now while we are alive to make sure our content stays available for people to read?
You should create a tick box somewhere that allows it to be shown for posterity. I know the links to websites may become dysfunctional etc. What do you suggest for this?

Comment provided July 15, 2008 at 12:33 PM

Thomas Cummins writes:

touche: point to you!

Comment provided July 15, 2008 at 12:50 PM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

Being of somewhat sound mind and (according to my 13 year old son) prehistoric body, I assign my articles both those written in the past and those to be written in the future to continued publication on EzineArticles, not to be confused with Ezine and Articles which is to say that my articles can be reproduced (not that they can reproduce) in the legitimate format, referencing said sites, which shall forever remain on the Internet due to the continued payment forever to be taken from my trust account established for the express purpose of eating up my estate to prevent my children from donating it to unworthy and unreasonable causes which I may not have deemed unreasonable had I been alive to select the causes…. GASP

Legalese is SO much fun to write. (I need to breath more often…)

What an awesome topic.

About a year ago, a business partner passed away and he had left NO WILL. It was a really a mess. We’re still sorting it out.

When in doubt about what might happen to your children or your belongings, WRITE IT DOWN.

Comment provided July 15, 2008 at 2:10 PM

Coming from a family of writers, I am sure none of them had thought of willing their publishings…as we still find some here and there…I will pass along this message!

It is a great way to preserve family history for generations to come!!

Wonderful, Thank You!

Jennifer Pasteur

Comment provided July 15, 2008 at 4:13 PM

meshil writes:

Christopher M. is written a very nice article on Ezine. It’s an good idea to remember the passed away people and pray to rest they soul in peace.

Addiction Recovery Kentucky

Comment provided July 15, 2008 at 11:28 PM

I think the authors should be given a choice to die at a later date if they so choose. I think it is unfortunate that good people die before their time, and I just think we need to change that.

Comment provided July 18, 2008 at 12:13 AM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

Lance, I’m in full agreement with you. I’ve got so much to write and so many things I want to do and accomplish, I don’t have time to die.

It’s one of those incredibly unfortunate events that happens to us all eventually. I understand nobody has gotten out of this life alive, but I think we should change that!

Comment provided July 18, 2008 at 6:46 AM

Let’s change that right now shall we!…..”authors are hereby ordered NOT to die before their time therefor they shall live as long as they deem fit, they shall continue to spread joy, creativeness, knowledge, humor, and share their art with the world for as long as THEY shall live! Sounds good to me!

Jenn Pasteur

Comment provided July 18, 2008 at 9:01 AM

Chris, my non-carbon, etheric body thanks you in advance. My Soul Self, Angelic Team, Friends of the Light and i are all cosmically joyous that our work, channelled through this vehicle, will live on to bless, inspire and uplift.

Jan, Lance and Jenn, thanks! My neighbors are no doubt hoping that i will pass on soon. They’re hoping that will guarantee them not being subjected to the raucous, krazy laughter they got a very healthy dose of just now.

Of course, that’s terribly foolish. They’ve clearly forgotten that ghosts laugh even more raucously…

Comment provided July 21, 2008 at 2:43 PM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

Angela, Angela, Angela!!!

Must we explain again to you, do not annoy the neighbors! It’s not healthy. They become annoyed with you and begin to poke your voodoo doll with pins. You begin to have pains in places that prevent you from writing. Then you can’t get on your computer. They hack their way in and add troublesome posts to your EzineArticles articles. The grimlins get out and then you’ve got real problems.

You’ll be finding tombstones on your lawn like I did last Friday – Chris THAT was NOT funny! The police department said it was probably teenagers stealing tombstones, but the last name on the Tombstone was Knight. Now, somebody tell me this is co-incidence?

I’m not buying the theory.

Comment provided July 21, 2008 at 3:19 PM

Maybe it was “The Dark Knight” who did this?

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

It’s a good movie BTW.

Comment provided July 21, 2008 at 3:38 PM

“They become annoyed with you and begin to poke your voodoo doll with pins. You begin to have pains in places that prevent you from writing.”

It’s TRUE!!! Happened last week! (shocked, wide open eyes) hmmm… have to go confiscate that voodoo doll then rustle up some ‘ole time chanting or ET toning to keep the boogie-boos and gremlins away…

And Chris, please don’t fling any tombstones this way….

Comment provided July 21, 2008 at 4:05 PM