How To Be Unique

Juanita writes:

How to be unique when almost every topic has tons of articles about it already out there?

Could you imagine if Burger King said to themselves, “Hey, we can’t compete because there is a McDonalds on every major intersection corner…so let’s give up.”

Nonsense!

Every expert has a unique viewpoint on most every topic or issue within their niche. If they didn’t, they’d hardly be an “expert”, right? Your job is to share your unique perspective on every issue and sub-issue within your field of expertise.

What to do:

• Forget for a moment that there already is a high ‘supply’ of articles already in your niche.
  • Chances are pretty high that the ‘long tail’ within your niche has been ignored or under-served.
  • I recommend writing 40% of your articles for the ‘head’ of the long tail and 60% for the ‘long tail’ itself.
  • Stop researching what everyone else is doing. Think for a moment about the problems and issues your clients, vendors, and employees or stakeholders face. Now, write to solve those issues.
  • Revere your uniqueness. No one on Earth sees or evaluates your niche like you do. Share your unique viewpoint.
  • There is so much ‘thin’ content out there that it makes it very easy to immediately rise above mediocre content.
  • Create an article content creation plan that chunks down various areas of your niche that you’ve deemed critical to cover.
  • Poll your members, clients, prospects, whatever and ask them which areas of your expertise they’d like to hear more about.
  • In the end, you’re competing against yourself. When you write compelling quality article content, your words and profile will immediately rise to the top.

How about you? What kind of advice would you give Juanita?

My eBook writing students have expressed the same concern. They feel that there are so many eBooks already available, no one will be interested in what they have to say. I will direct them to this post and add one more thing – there are people around the world who need to read what you have written because no one else will write it exactly as you will. It is your duty and obligation to let people read it the way only you can write it.

Comment provided May 2, 2008 at 8:12 AM

Dave Wellman writes:

Great post! I think you have in one short post brought the most powerful information to light that I have seen on the net for a long time.

The biggest problem that I see is the “copy cat” syndrome. Everyone producing articles that are no more than the revision of copy that they think will sell. I am currently reading a book in which the author is speaking to the subject of innovation. Now I know that innovation is sort of the new hot topic, but it is what makes the world go round!

Not everyone can create new ideas, products, or materials, however everyone who is passionate about a niche can express that passion in a unique way. That is innovation.

Everyone can’t make money teaching people how to make money, teaching people how to make money, teaching people how to make money (you get my point). The same is true with products that help you with sit ups, push ups, etc.

If you are going to write about any popular subject, you must come to that subject with your own thoughts, ideas, and innovation. It is in this innovative way that, as you said, really establishes you as a true expert.

Comment provided May 2, 2008 at 9:10 AM

Hope Wilbanks writes:

Sage advice Chris!

Comment provided May 2, 2008 at 9:10 AM

Judith writes:

It’s all about personality! Show it; use it! You can have a handful of folks write about the very same thing and they will all be different based on writing skills, perspective and… personality! So if everything is equal, it’s your personality shining through that will separate you from the rest and keep folks interested! Remember, people like doing business with people — not articles. ;-)

Comment provided May 2, 2008 at 9:57 AM

Dan Przyojski writes:

Whatever it is that your trying to sell will stand out in a crowd if you add the personal touch or real life experience you have had. If you use personal emotion in your writing of articles as well as books the reader or prospect WILL pick-up on that. That will also get the much needed creative writing work flowing with ease! Dan Przyojski

Comment provided May 2, 2008 at 10:05 AM

Thaddeus Ferguson writes:

While not a requirement you must write about something that you Love or are at least passionate about otherwise you arent going to last very long.
Like many thin gs in life when you start chasing “money” or the easy way all it takes is one or two bumps in the road and your off moving in another direction.
Or maybe I’m wrong and following the crowd is the right thing to do because the crowd is so successful right?

Comment provided May 2, 2008 at 11:21 AM

I keep a notebook with me at all times, and I mean ALL times so that I can jot down ideas of things that spark me. (in the car, in the shower, working out at the gym, etc)

These ideas come from real life circumstances, both mine and other peoples and often they do not come when you are outwardly looking for them. But once you get into the habit of becoming more conscious of the abundance of content all around you, and capturing your ideas, you will be able to expand on the ones from your notebook that move you.

Live Your Dreams,

Jill

Comment provided May 2, 2008 at 11:37 AM

Unique!

In fact one should also keep a notebook at bedside. You get terrific ideas in your dreams too. For this I’d like to add to Chris’s list ‘creativity and intuition’. If you are creative and intuitive you can have insights that always elude routine writers.

Comment provided May 2, 2008 at 1:31 PM

Edward Weiss writes:

How can you be uniques? Hmmm. Let’s see. There’s only one Juanita right? There’s your answer!

No one will right like you or say the same things as you in quite the same way.

That’s my perfect answer

Comment provided May 2, 2008 at 1:40 PM

Edward Weiss writes:

How can you be unique? Hmmm. Let’s see. There’s only one Juanita right? There’s your answer!

No one will write like you or say the same things as you in quite the same way.

That’s my perfect answer.

Comment provided May 2, 2008 at 1:41 PM

Good tips Chris!

I tell my students and members this:

“There are more people out there waiting to hear your message, who can only hear it uniquely from you, than you can ever get to in your lifetime.”

And if you will allow me Chris, everyone can get that quote on a mini-poster at

Comment provided May 2, 2008 at 8:00 PM

Tel Asiado writes:

Thanks for writing it loud and clear Juanita.

Absolutely! There’s only one unique you or I or anyone out there.

Your post took me good as I relate it to my writing interests, especially featuring world movers and shapers whose bios are written thousandfolds through the years. But, there are folks out there waiting for our own hook, slant, or, ooomph.

G’day!

Comment provided May 2, 2008 at 8:31 PM

Melanie Kissell writes:

Awesome post, Juanita!

In order to position yourself as a recognized, sought after expert, it is imperative to make your goal uniqueness. Set yourself apart from the standard, cookie-cutter approach to sharing information with others.

Put a little “twist” and your own personal “flair” into your writing. After all, there’s only one YOU in this world.

Write On!

Comment provided May 3, 2008 at 12:08 AM

Alejandro Guevara Onofre writes:

I think if you love your job you are unique.
In my case, I love my work. I am a very strong person and a dreamer man ! I like challenges. My advice : read a lot !from ecology to entertainment (If you can in Spanish, Portuguese, French)! and have dreams in your life!Eleanor Roosevelt said: ‚¬“The future is for those people who believe in the beauty o f their dreams” .

Many Thanks
Alejandro

Comment provided May 3, 2008 at 3:24 PM

Juanita, you can be unique if you try to find what you can do better than your competitors. Read their articles and look for their mistakes. Write your articles avoiding the mistakes of the others and be always honest with your audience.

Be extremely helpful in the service you provide, give nice bonus with your products and good discounts to the customers that buy from you.

If you sell what everyone else sells or if you provide common services, you have to give to your customers many incentives to make them buy from you, or make them choose you for the work they need.

The more you give, more are your chances to receive something in return and achieve your goals.

Comment provided May 3, 2008 at 5:19 PM

Joi writes:

Great advice – I love the Burger King analogy. Brilliant!

I also like Booker T. Washington’s quote, “Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way.” Everyone is different, so each person has something special about them, a unique way of looking at life. The trick is to throw caution to the wind and have the guts to be yourself.

If you’re thinking, “Even if my way of doing things is different from everyone else?” – My response would be, ESPECIALLY if your way of doing things is different from everyone else!

And now I have to make a quick burger run. Thanks for the advice and thanks for the craving.

Comment provided May 3, 2008 at 11:34 PM

Alejandro Guevara Onofre writes:

Joi. I like your example
Booker T. Washington…Great man!
Alejandro

Comment provided May 4, 2008 at 9:17 PM

k lehan writes:

Juanita:

If you don’t think you have anything unique to say, remember this: your audience does not know your subject like you do.

Things you may consider mundane or stuff “everyone knows” simply isn’t true.

The most responded to article I’ve written was on “basics” not something obscure.

Just look at your area of expertise in YOUR unique way and explain it YOUR way and it will be unique.

Comment provided May 5, 2008 at 5:00 PM

Greg writes:

Two points to make here.

What I’ve found is sure, you want good original content, but more important isn’t WHAT you’re writing – it’s HOW you’re writing it. Expressing in writing your coherent articulate thoughts is what interests people most of all. Do your research and put the key issues into your own words. Haven’t you ever read something that captured your attention by virtue of the style of the writer – more so than the actual material. Saying the obvious is ok as long as you say it exceptionally well and captivatingly (hey I think I just invented another word again..).

If Jaunita or whomever is pessimistic due to the sheer magnitute of existing content – well that’s a reason to charge ahead – not bale out. Lots of people have lots to say about your topic – check em out. Select the best points, collect them, and paraphrase and organize them for your reader. You’re doing your readers a service by aggregating quality of content on your topic and by sharing it articulately.

Comment provided May 6, 2008 at 10:24 PM

Annie B Lawrence writes:

Love the post Chris and all the comments as well. All great advice that we all need to hear over and over as writers. I just hit a milestone here at EzineArticles and got 14 articles published and got expert status. I am excited and look forward to continuing my submissions. During the time I was writing my book Love’s Secret Live Your Lifef In Love. The critic in me kept telling me that I didn’t have anything to say that people wanted to hear. I kept picking it back up and finished it last year. I have recieved three awards for the book in Self Help. The lesson I have learned in writing is just keep doing it. The more I write the better the connection to the creative flow and the less I hear the critic.

Comment provided May 6, 2008 at 10:57 PM

Alejandro Guevara Onofre writes:

Annie B. Lawrence…Congratulations!
Alejandro

Comment provided May 6, 2008 at 11:02 PM

Cher writes:

Excellent Post! A must read by every author.

Comment provided May 8, 2008 at 12:18 PM

Shirley Bass writes:

Hello to everyone,

There is a lot of good advice on this blog about personal writing skills and making your personality stand out for the readers.

These were words I needed to hear. I was beginning to feel less talented as I read other articles with brilliant thoughts articulated so well.

I shall preserver. I feel the more I write about my niche the eaiser it will be for me to come up with new ways to describe it.

Thanks to everyone,