USA Presidential Candidates Content Face-Off

Here in the USA, if you turn on any news station, they have been obsessing over the past year on which political candidate will be our next President.

We thought it would be fun to see who’s winning in terms of article content submitted to to date that mentions the candidate.

Sorted by alphabetical order:

Hillary Clinton

John McCain

Barack Obama

Notes: Our search includes articles where the title contains both first name and last name, only last name but not anyone else’s last name (‘hillary’ was used instead of ‘clinton’ for the last name in her case). Ex: Title contains Obama but not Hillary or McCain. The above stats are hardly conclusive due to the grayness of whether an article is PRO or AGAINST a particular candidate. All EzineArticles categories were evaluated to produce the above results (not just the Politics category).

Our editors (in terms of their political preferences) are reflective of what you could expect from a typical person of their age group… ie: Young college educated 20 to 30 somethings.

This morning, I asked our editors what type of political article content they’ve been rejecting lately: Mostly, content has been rejected that included name calling, news rips (ripped off some news site that was pro their candidate of choice), negative statements without any backing for the reasons why, and hater / spiteful articles that don’t add any value to the discussion.

Keep in mind, is not into citizen journalism; we aim to not take risks on content; and we are not a freedom of speech website.

Editor #35 had this advice to share:

Too many authors write about one particular candidate, and why they strongly like/dislike him or her. These articles tend to be very personal-opinion oriented. A better approach would be to look at the candidates in a national context by focusing on the campaign and the issues– not just the individual who’s running.

Factoid: All together, EzineArticles has 1,154 unique Expert Authors who have written 4,432 Political articles.

Your thoughts?

Dave Wellman writes:

That’s a lot of words when these candidates are really saying so little!

Comment provided April 21, 2008 at 10:32 AM

Richard writes:

I think that this Election is the most interesting i have seen in a long time.

Take a look at it, First we have Senator McCain who is old and you can see what Has happened to Bush in his Presidency,
Then you have the first woman running for President and i remember when i was a kid they used to say the first time they elect a female for president then the end of the wold will come.

Then you have a Black man who I think is the best choice over all of them but that is just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions?

Now they say that in the year 2012 is the end of the world, does that mean that Hillary Clinton will be elected president? Maybe.

Comment provided April 21, 2008 at 12:44 PM

Alejandro Guevara Onofre writes:

From my perspective, I don’t like this election. Why? I think that is not enough to be black (Kenyan ancestry) or woman to be president of the United States. I admire Hillary Clinton, but I will not vote for her (If I were an American citizen). Her team is not one of the best.She looks like Corazon Aquino (former president of Philippines in the 1980s). Unfortunately, she was one of the worst rulers of Asia (Aquino can not fight against terrorism).In my opinion, the USA needs an ‚¬“Iron Lady‚¬ such as Margaret Thatcher. For a reason: international terrorism (North Korea, Iraq, Afghanistan, Iran, Lybia ). I would like to see as presidential candidates: Condoleezza Rice or perhaps Madeleine Albright .Obama wants to resemble Nelson Mandela (South African leader)!

Comment provided April 21, 2008 at 4:17 PM

Phillip Gwinn writes:

It’s too bad that everyone focuses on the big three and not a bit on the others. This is an excellent forum for informing people and getting political education out to the rest of the world.

Comment provided April 21, 2008 at 8:42 PM

It is obvious to me that the editors of this site are Obama-ramas and are highly critical of any article that shows Obama in less than a favorable light. I think it is truly absurd that you are going to reply to this post in denial.

In fact, commenting against Obama, is automatically considered “without merit” by editors, because they are awestruck by his celebrity, like people were with Paris Hilton before the media did a reversal on her.

Indeed, it seems obvious to me that the editors at EzineArticles are very neo-liberal, almost to the socialist extreme. They have allowed outrageous hate speech about President Bush, and if you say one thing that questions Obama, your article is rejected. “Without Basis” oh bull, it’s just that the editors at EzineArticles, do not have the historical background or are not up on the reality as much as some of the in depth political commentary writers here. I am quite appalled, feel completely cheated at the hypocrisy here by the editors, and believe EzineArticles is in La la land when it comes to politics.

You think I am wrong, you just do a survey at EzineArticles with the editors of who they think is the best candidate, what them fall all over themselves with starstruck love of Obama. Bet me, it’s obvious by their behavior in rejecting articles. Don’t deny it either.

My advice to article writers? Unless you write a raving review of Obama’s “Awesomeness” then don’t waste your time putting his name in any article you put here. I’ve had at least 5-articles in the last month rejected because the editor is in love with Obama, and this BS about “without merit” is laughable, that’s just a bad excuse for the censorship that the editors exercise. It’s just amazing. It’s truly inhussein!

Comment provided April 21, 2008 at 9:26 PM

I’m not denying anything.

It’s frustrating indeed… Maslows hierarchy of needs is in play here.

Me? I’m a Centrist with an obvious bend towards the candidate that promotes the advancement of business and realizes that entrepreneurs create jobs, not politicians.

Comment provided April 22, 2008 at 9:45 AM

Richard writes:

Its time to get serious and stop playing games. Peoples lives are at stake here and when we do all this bickering back and forth, it is not helping anybody and the Country suffers.
We have to stop voting on personality and start voting on what the person stands for. Being black, being a woman or being old I dont think is the real issue. Lets start taking a stand on the real issues of the state of the country.

Comment provided April 22, 2008 at 10:01 AM

And the real issues in your opinion include?

Comment provided April 22, 2008 at 10:11 AM

Thaddeus Ferguson writes:

Richard isnt the fact that the ones that are left are a black man a woman and a old white guy the real issue in this country right now.
Race, Sex and Politics.
No matter who wins this time in 2012 the US will have hopefully moved on from the race and sex aspects of politics because it will be old news hopefully

Comment provided April 22, 2008 at 10:15 AM

Richard writes:

It seems to me that this is what happens after the fact. We vote for the wrong reasons then we sweep the problem under the rug and its back to politics as usual and the problems of the country remain on the table with everyone scratching their heads trying to figure out what to do about the ecconomy etc. You know all the issues we face. The list is long.

Comment provided April 22, 2008 at 10:44 AM

Personally I do not care about geneder, or color, I’d vote for the Purple People Eater Giant Monster if he was the best candidate for the job. And based on who is running, he is probably more qualified and a better candidate anyway.

Comment provided April 22, 2008 at 2:24 PM

I know this thread could easily turn flame war, so I offer you this:

I’ll let controversial comments pass here that normally would be rejected provided that you uncloak and provide your real name and link to your website.

I intend to delete comments left on this thread if there is no accountability as to who really said the comments. ie: No anonymous posts.

The usual human courtesy rules apply… ie: I expect respectful debate, no personal attacks, no name calling, none-of-that-high-school stuff, etc.

Comment provided April 23, 2008 at 7:51 AM

Dave Wellman writes:

I believe in free enterprise. I am not going to vote for any candidate who thinks that the government can do a better job delivering goods/services to the people than the private sector (ever been to the driver’s license division).

I also want to make a good living from my business ventures and don’t think that I should then be responsible to those who think not working is better than working. If I am going to be involved in charity work (and I am) I want to know when, where, and how my donations are being used. And if I don’t like it I want the opportunity to spend my money somewhere else. You can’t do that if you just package your money into a check and send it off to the IRS.

Otherwise I just want to be left alone to do my thing and live life the best way I know how. I want good roads, a strong military, and the freedom to choose success or failure.

What I am tired of in politics is that we have most often been forced to choose the lesser of the evils rather than a candidate who is really the best person for our country at this moment in time!

So …

Comment provided April 23, 2008 at 8:32 AM

Richard writes:

It can’t be put any better then that and i can’t imagine anyone arguing that point.
We all want to live the American Dream, it’s just that some changes have to be made within the Government structure in order for that to happen on any wide scale.

Comment provided April 23, 2008 at 10:27 AM

Dear Sirs,

You know running for office is not easy, I’ve been involved in local politics quite heavily run for office, had successful campaign and some not so successful. It’s amazing the garbage that flies at you, the half-truths, falsehoods, it really is not a pleasurable experience at all, of course, winning is the best revenge.

Most good people will not run for office because it’s just nuts and the slam your personal character. It takes an ego-centric arrogant sociopath or someone who cares so much about the city, county, state, jurisdiction, agency, crime states or nation, that they are willing to sacrifice their good name to do it.

With politics I have a love hate relationship and having had experience on all sides of these issues; voting, running campaigns, being in politics (local level); I have written some 1500 articles here. Most are based on observations, real experience and passion for the greater good.

Indeed, I do believe that everyone wants the same thing, and too often we get caught up in the how to get there part. There are those who use politics for advantages in business or satisfying their ego, that is truly unfortunate but an innate need it appears (respect from fellow man – Maslow [as Chris points out]).

Articles written in the “Pure Opinion” or “Politics” section are just that; opinions and politics and all must be taken with a grain of salt. Putting one’s name on opinion rather than hiding in the bushes is to me shows integrity, and we ought to agree to disagree as often as possible, but if your passion takes you to a place that you wish to make a note of it, sure, write an article and have your soap box and say; that’s America, first amendment and it’s all good. Just do it with integrity and honest is my best advice.

Right now, I am finishing up an article;

“Who Are the Romper Room Obama Ramas – this a New Type of Voter?

I believe that we must look past the political rhetoric and consider the future of this great nation with a 16 Trillion Dollar economy, 5 times the next nearest nation’s economy and 303 Billion People, the third most populated in the World. I believe the United States is the greatest nation ever created in the history of the World and we ought to put someone into run it, which is the best possible person. I fear that person may not be running, and well, this concerns me. You ought to be concerned too.

Comment provided April 23, 2008 at 3:54 PM

Dave Wellman writes:

I am afraid that I have to diagree with your comment that “everybody wants the same thing.” I believe that there are clear differences between the two major parties and that if you look at their party platforms you will see that clearly.

My view of America is considerably different than that of the producers of Farenheit 911. They see a world that I do not understand and when they and folks like them hijack a political party, it disturbs me greatly.

It is not possible for a capitalist to simply agree to disagree with someone who at best is a redistrabutionist and at worst is a Marxist/Stalinist. Now I don’t know where on the spectrum these folks are, however I struggle with government’s role in making sure I have what I need even if I don’t want it or really need it.

By just agreeing to disagree we allow whoever wins an election to go about doing their thing no matter what long term danger that action holds. No matter who wins this election the members of the loyal opposition should speak loudly and keep the leaders feet to the fire. It should be done with respect and with good manners (not very popular these days, I know), but it should be done.

I see a very different America depending on who wins this election and I for one cannot just agree to disagree and hope everything works out ok.

Comment provided April 23, 2008 at 4:13 PM

I think everyone (citizens, not talking about politicians or political party heads) wants liberty, freedom and for their children to live in a country that is better than they lived in. I believe everyone wants to live in peace and wants to live well.

I do not believe that any of these candidates or any of the others that were put up during this entire Presidential “Survivor Reality Type TV Game” are the best we have here in the states, although I do recall a couple that perhaps may have been better suited, but none that were what we need.

Fahrenheit 911 should concern folks, it was not factually based. As far as Capitalism is concerned it has proven itself, beyond a reasonable doubt to be the best possible structure to date, in the evolution of human civilizations.

When I speak of agreeing to disagree, I speak of civility towards your fellow man, online or in mixed company, without a fist fight or personal attack of another’s character, and I am not speaking to allowing a nation to crumble if it is running the wrong way, enough civilization in history have turned out that way, it’s not our turn to fall and it’s not okay. I believe we concur on several issues.

Comment provided April 23, 2008 at 4:24 PM

Dave Wellman writes:

I agree with your last post. The comments you made about regular people is I believe true as well. I think that civility and kindness are needed even among those who disagree. Keep writing because every voice needs to be heard as long as it speaks rather than screems.

Comment provided April 23, 2008 at 4:48 PM

Phillip Gwinn writes:

Personally I cannot abide the current Democrats. One because he has no experience as a genuine leader that makes life and death decisions. Also, I feel his time in the Senate and State Legislature demonstrate that he won’t take a position unless it is to his benefit. He can be summed up in one word: Present. The other Democrat is a liar plain and simple. And part of earning my vote is a requirement to have character.

On the Republican side, the anointed one may already be the nominee. But he has yet to earn my vote. While I have enormous respect for his travails in the service, I am not impressed by his political track record.

The only one who actually can discuss economics, and is committed to the constitution, is also dismissed as a wacko.

We may yet get the .gov that we deserve.

Comment provided April 23, 2008 at 8:39 PM

Having written so many political articles here, it seems like job security, people read them, they email me a lot and as long as humans run around commoting (causing commotion) there will be political happens to consider.

Comment provided April 25, 2008 at 7:05 AM