Swimming Skinny

SwimmingBeing a guy who swims for fun and competes in triathlons, the EzineArticles Swimming category has bothered me since the day we launched it.

Why? Because it contained way too many articles about swimming pools, hot tubs, pool chemicals and all of the physical equipment necessary to manage pools, RATHER THAN articles about the athletic swimming thing we humans do.

Finally, we split the category in two:

Recreation and Sports: Swimming

Articles about/concerning Swimming, Swimming Lessons, Swimming Strokes/Techniques, Coaching Swimming, Swimwear, Competitive-Swimsuits, Swimming Safety, Lifeguards, Ocean Swimming, Pool Parties, Diving, Olympic Swimming, Masters Swimming, & Benefits of Swimming for Exercise/Health.

Home Improvement: Swimming Pools Spas

Articles about/concerning Building Swimming Pools, Lap Pools, Pool Winterization, Swimming Pool Care, Spas / Hot Tubs, Pool Supplies/Chemicals, Pool Equipment, Kits/Covers, DIY, & Pool Toys/Slides.

Lastly, some swim humor for you:

So this guy promises to give a man a million dollars if he could swim across the ocean. He agreed to the challenge and swam halfway…decided that he was tired, and then swam all the way back home.

Why should you never swim on a full stomach?
Because it’s easier to swim in water!

Swim on…

Derek Dashwood writes:

Swimming on empty, tank needs more than water, but tanks for the opportunities. Good idea. Smiles, Derek

Comment provided March 12, 2008 at 12:50 PM

Chris – I vow to write an article about swimming, the recreational kind, and dedicate it to you for all you do for us.

Comment provided March 12, 2008 at 5:23 PM

Researched, written and submitted! Jeff Herring’s templates worked once again. I hope you enjoy the article, Chris, and thanks again for giving us all the opportunity to submit our articles.

Comment provided March 12, 2008 at 6:01 PM

Hi Chris!

Congratulations for being so athletic! I remember you said that you want to run a marathon too.

My best wishes to the authors that write about swimming!
I don’t like swimming, mainly because I swim like an elephant!
Perhaps reading their articles I will learn how to swim properly.

I’m not a friend of sports in general; I don’t like to run and sweat! this is why my favorite sport is ping-pong.

Comment provided March 13, 2008 at 3:04 PM

Christina,

Now how did I already know that your favorite sport is ping-pong? I must be psychic?

Comment provided March 14, 2008 at 5:20 PM

No Lance, you learned this information because you read my biography in other sites, like Myspace or Facebook!

I was a ping-pong champion on high-school and a ‚¬“ball pursuer‚¬ when I used to play volley, at that time.
After that time, I rarely played whatever.

I don’t like sports. For a while they are ok, but not for too long.

Now the unique sport I practice daily is running, because I’m always late when going anywhere!

Comment provided March 14, 2008 at 6:11 PM

Christina,

Wow, that’s how I knew you loved ping-pong, I was wondering how I knew that. I was begining to think it had something to do with our back and forth comments here?

Well, did you know my Mom, was an Olympic Swimmer Alternate for the Olympic Team, she won a spot, turns out she would have competed because another girl got ill. Meanwhile, she got pregnant with me. Whoops? Sorry Mom. Anyway, I paid it back in College as an exceptional track star, miler! Being a middle distance and long distance runner, indeed, prepares you for life, and the high-fast-paced world of Online Writing.

Sincerely, Lance

Comment provided March 14, 2008 at 6:21 PM

Americans like sports very much! Too much, as a matter of fact.
I remember that when I lived in California we used to wake up early on Sundays and go somewhere! play baseball, tennis, run! What a taste! I preferred to sleep till late, but I learned to follow their program, otherwise I would stay alone.

I even had a very athletic boyfriend that made me walk up mountains and mountains! We had picnics. This part was nice, because we could finally sit down. I always wanted to sit down and admire the flowers, the sun and the sky! but he wanted to continue going up.
Too tiring!

Comment provided March 14, 2008 at 7:52 PM

Paul Eilers writes:

Chris,

When I was growing up, I was on a summer league swim team. It was a great way to get in shape for the upcoming football season.

Even today, I try to swim laps to stay in shape. Most workouts leave me drained and tired. But after swimming laps early in the morning, I always feel refreshed and energized.

Thanks for creating the new category for Swimming as well as all that you do with EzineArticles.com.

Best regards,

Paul Eilers

Comment provided March 15, 2008 at 8:07 AM

Christina,

Sports, especially youth sports do indeed teach people to work towards a goal, it teaches work ethics, rather than expecting things. Admiring the flowers, sounds like fun, for about 10-seconds, okay I saw that, let’s go!

Sincerely,

Lance

Comment provided March 15, 2008 at 3:35 PM

Lance, you didn’t understand my spirit. The reason why I wanted to admire the flowers, the plants and whatever else we could see in the mountain was not poetic: I only wanted to sit down and rest.

Sports are really good for many reasons, but I don’t have any talent or disposition for them.

I felt quite ashamed in the beginning, among the athletic Americans.
Can you imagine a girl playing baseball without ever hitting the ball?
Or playing tennis without knowing how to hold the racquet?

Later I simply gave up and watched the others playing.

Comment provided March 15, 2008 at 5:17 PM

Christina,

Well there is no reason to feel ashamed. If you are handicapped, I am sure you excel in other things, as that is the natural order of things, if you are not so good at one thing, you are generally good at something else. Next, very few people are good at all sports the first time they try, if one gives up that easy it shows weakness, self-doubt and problems with personal charater. If you are looking for empathy, forget it! Those who give up so easy, show weakness, that is not a human trait, there is nothing noble about quitting.

Quitters never win and a winner never quits!

Comment provided March 16, 2008 at 3:36 AM

Yes, Lance! I was only ashamed in the beginning, when I was too young. Now I don’t care. Besides, I have so many talents that I don’t need to have also talent on sports. Only my ability to interpret dreams automatically is a very big talent. I can study for hours and hours and write continuously, draw, compose, so many things!

My son used to be very athletic since he was a kid. He won many medals on tennis. He has also a great talent on music. He plays the piano and electric organ and he is a great composer. However, he never was a good student at school. My adventures as his mother were many! I always had to talk with the director and the teachers!

Each one has talents and defects. The important is to try everything and find what we can do better. And, on the other hand, it is also important to do several things we know we are not good at, without caring because we are not perfect doing them.

So what? We have the right to learn and to be in the middle, without reaching the top in some fields.

Comment provided March 16, 2008 at 11:27 AM

love handles writes:

Hi was JUST researching entering Triathlons last week and could only find tips on keeping your swimming pool clean! Lol. I used to compete at national level as a teenager.

Time to check this new category.

Thanks Chris!

Comment provided March 16, 2008 at 9:22 PM

We have a section dedicated to competing in Triathlons.

Comment provided March 17, 2008 at 6:38 AM