For the past 2 full weeks, we’ve been preparing the ground work to release almost 100 new niche categories that have been requested by our members, studied by our team, and researched to death for viability.
Today, I wanted to pause to contemplate for a moment a bit of self-destructionism:
In a world where everyone is flooded with information, does it still make sense for EzineArticles to have individual categories?
The Pro’s to 500+ Niche Categories:
- Members hold back quality article submissions due to their perception that we don’t have the right category for their article…thus, more categories = more article submissions.
- We send nearly 2 million monthly permission-based opt-in emails to 82k members of the niche categories.
- Tens of thousands of daily visitors find us via category RSS feeds.
The Pro’s to Infinite Niche Categories:
- “Infinite Niche Categories” really means no categories at all any more and EzineArticles becomes a tagonomy of user-decided unlimited niche categories.
- The look of the site shifts from being perceived as a directory to being perceived as a more comprehensive knowledge depository.
- Email alerts move to become incredibly more complex, but simultaneously, the information delivered is more precisely tuned to the requesters interests. Same for RSS based on tags, not categories.
Ok, your turn to voice your opinion:
Does EzineArticles continue adding categories per the plan already in progress or do we abandon all ye plans and go for the infinite niches model?