Inactive Member Audit

You may know that EzineArticles is the platform for over 85,967 expert authors… On top of that, we have tens of thousands of members who have signed up over the years and done nothing.

Last week, we identified a little over 18,000+ inactive members (2004-2007 sign ups) and sent them a segmented personalized mailing inviting them to participate, less lose their account so that the author names they had reserved can be used for members who want to be ‘active’.

The good news: I’m watching a daily email report that shows hundreds of old members logging into the site, updating their bio and author photo and sending in their first set or series of articles.

The bad news: We accidentally included a few hundred members that were active. Oops. Our apologies for this mistake. Normally we do a sampling size and audit our own segmented mailings prior to release. We had a sample size of 40 and thought we were good to go. Turns out our export logic wasn’t correct by a few percentages. Rest assured, none of our active members have anything to worry about in terms of their account status.

RonPrice writes:

thanking you

Comment provided February 24, 2008 at 2:33 PM

Thanks for the reminder, Chris. I’ve been busy working at life, stuff happens, as well we all know, and getting griefcase.net off the ground. I’ll be tucking into writing new articles, submitting again, and updating my resource box and bio.

Best writing wishes,

Linda Della Donna
griefcase.net

Comment provided February 24, 2008 at 2:45 PM

Whatever rules you have about staying “active,” I don’t think I noticed them anywhere.

I recently submitted 8 of my articles, and I am going to write at least 2 more to make up for 10 initial ones.

I find this to be lots of fun and a source of satisfaction to find my articles “out there,” although some of them have been garbled and “contaminated” and I am in the process of figuring out what causes that.

So, what are your requirements to remain “active?”

Britt

Comment provided February 24, 2008 at 2:53 PM

Robert Brealey writes:

Hello Chris,

Thank you for your email.

I’ve been so busy lately that I’d forgotten all about it. Writing is not one of my best qualities but I know it’s got to be done so I forced myself to start typing an article in MS Word.

To increase traffic to my site at AnyoneCanProfit.com EzineArticles is one way to do it.

Robert

Comment provided February 24, 2008 at 3:42 PM

Britt,

ONE (1) single article published on the site prevents your account from being terminated for inactivity.

Our system design doesn’t allow for multiple common names… ie: There can only be one “Britt Mittemeijer” in our site… and thus, the 18k dormant or inactive members have locked up 18k author names that prevents others with those same name from using them.

Comment provided February 24, 2008 at 4:23 PM

Thomas J. Cummins writes:

Good job again Chris and it is a magical idea to have a displacement program in place for sleeping writers. Contacting them was a very friendly gesture and shows once again your commitment to your successful lists of writers.

Good job and God bless.

T.J.

Comment provided February 24, 2008 at 5:18 PM

George writes:

I’ve been so busy lately that I’d forgotten all about it. Writing is not one of my best qualities but I know it’s got to be done, I just dont know where to begin.
Is there a first start section?

Comment provided February 25, 2008 at 3:18 AM

George,

Start here:

Comment provided February 25, 2008 at 6:11 AM

Hi Chris!

I’m a very active member! But I remember your first message inviting me to leave a comment at your blog. You really made me awake up and see what was in front of my eyes! I love article writing!

I hope that many of the inactive members like me in the beginning will follow my example and become very active like me now (after my first article I never wrote a second one until Chris invited me to participate of the discussions at his blog).

Article writing is the best way to have traffic and to promote your business, besides being a way to help people with free information without any expense. The Internet has a social aspect as well. Millions are being helped by free information, provided by remarkable articles!

You can do a lot on the Internet with your articles! You are a content producer, you are respected, you show how much you know, and you already have customers that know what you are doing, while with an ad you cannot really show your work to anyone.

People are tired of ads!
Through article writing however, you give free helpful information that people want to read and this way you have the chance to promote your business, having their attention.

Comment provided February 25, 2008 at 6:48 AM

Casey writes:

Hold on! I don’t want to be deleted, either… You do provide a great service. It’s a hoot to see that others actually publish our articles in our areas of interest and it does help on the search engines as well… I’m back on it and appreciate the wake up call…

Thanks!

Comment provided February 25, 2008 at 9:12 AM

Margaret writes:

Thanks for the reminder…swamped with school, work, etc…but your kind little jolt is getting me to go to the training link…now.

Comment provided February 25, 2008 at 11:17 PM

Chris, a peripheral to the search engines. I’ve been quite disturbed by some of the Google Alerts I’ve been getting that link back to my EzineArticles. Some of the sites seem to be gibberish and others are vulgar. How do we keep this garbage away? I welcome the real sites that are reprinting articles, etc., but don’t want to be associated with the “horse manure” that’s out there. Thanks for your insight.

Comment provided February 26, 2008 at 12:05 AM

Thanks for the wake up call. I started my business last year, but ran into a few snags along the way. I wasn’t publishing articles because I wasn’t up and running! But now I am nearly there, so article writing and submissions will be on my regular TO DO list! I submitted the first one today!

Comment provided February 26, 2008 at 12:20 PM

Charmaine writes:

Hey, I read the articles :(….just that I download them and then kinda read them at my own pace offline…..But I am GLAD you reminded me. Keep up the great work. I have learned so much. I am now trying to get my daughter to start getting these and my granddaughter as I feel they need it as they sell/purhcase home and do other stuff.

Saludos, Charmiane

Comment provided March 1, 2008 at 2:12 PM

I love EzineArticles and find all of your support articles and training to be valuable. Thank you for requiring all of us to stay on top of our writing habit.

Comment provided March 5, 2008 at 11:56 AM

Oh, dear me! I hope you haven’t thrown me out yet for inactivity. Although I have been inactive with EzineArticles, I have been very active promoting and have every intention of writing articles again. Don’t throw me into “outer darkness,” please!

Britt Mittemeijer (I don’t think many others have this name, but nevertheless. …. )

Comment provided October 25, 2010 at 4:09 PM