Articles Bring Sales Leads

EzineArticles Expert Author & Life Coach/Christian/ & Motivational Speaker Henrietta Elegunde of London asked me:

If your articles are not bringing you sales leads, what can you do to improve this?

It’s a question asked often enough that I asked Henrietta for permission to post her question along with my response here in the blog.

Here’s what I recommend that Henrietta changes on her 22 articles and any future article submissions:

• Immediately cut your article word count in half. Two 550 word articles will usually deliver more traffic than one single 1100 word article.
  • People are begging to buy from you; but you’ve made it difficult for them to purchase: If you want to make sales, you MUST have a website URL in EVERY SINGLE one of your resource boxes.
  • Consider changing your Resource Box from “Here’s who I am” to more of a “Here’s what I can do specifically for you the reader”.
  • Increase your article inventory count. You’re at 22 articles. Sorry, that’s a small splash in the bucket in today’s Internet. Bring your article count up into the hundreds over the next year.
  • Expand your Article Title’s by another 30-45% longer. They are a bit short. Longer titles gives you more opportunities to hook interested readers.

Henrietta: Overall, I really like the fact that you’ve uploaded your author photo, your articles are very visually easy on my eyes and inviting to read, and you continually submit new articles over time (consistency is a key to success). I’m scared for you because you included your email address in your articles. That’s not a good idea anyway you slice it because your articles will be around the Internet long after you’ve closed your email account due to massive incoming spam.

All: If you’ve had success converting your article traffic leads into sales leads, which single strategy provided you the most ROI?

Steve writes:

I am sure she will be happy when she has written 222 articles.

If she writes an article each and every day she is sure to soon have those sales flowing.

Comment provided February 19, 2008 at 2:55 PM

Dave Saunders writes:

I also think of the Dan Kennedy marketing triangle:

Right Market
Right Message
Right Media

A “here’s what I do for you” resource box is so critical, and it works even better when it matches the content of the article.

Comment provided February 19, 2008 at 3:07 PM

Mike Edwards writes:

These are great comments that hit me between the eyes as well. I too am trying to get a coaching business off the ground and these points will help me great traffic and sales as well!!

Comment provided February 19, 2008 at 3:38 PM

Hi Chris!

I believe the leads depend on many things, not only on the articles. Everything depends basically on what you are selling and to whom.

If you are trying to sell your products to the wrong customers, you’ll feel frustrated.
If you sell what everyone wants to buy and your products are well known, you have too much competition from other sites and big companies.
On the other hand, if you sell something quite different and original, people may be afraid to trust your product or they may ignore its functionalism.

Answering to your question Chris, I never know what exactly makes someone decide to buy my ebooks.
My articles? The ebooks’ content? Networking?
Everything together?…

Comment provided February 19, 2008 at 3:46 PM

seesan writes:

Can the quality of the content in the article be a factor in the quantiy of leads you get out that article?

In my openion Yes.
A reader must receive useful information or idea.
Don’t you think?

Comment provided February 19, 2008 at 3:55 PM

Judith writes:

You can write 1000s of articles but if your links go to a home brewed, poorly planned or ineffective Web site it is all for naught.

Your articles are a credibility tease that cause potential customers to want to know more and click on your resource box links because you’ve already begun the expert trust building process.

What happens when article readers land on a Web site that disappoints or doesn’t live up to the expectations that many feel an expert should provide? Lost opportunity…

Comment provided February 19, 2008 at 3:55 PM

Chris: are you reading my mind? My blog? Perhaps both? I’ve been coaching my copywriting clients on this very topic. I can’t even add to this. You’re saying what I’m saying.

I like Judith’s expression. “Home brewed website.” Good stuff.

Peace out.

Comment provided February 19, 2008 at 4:01 PM

seesan writes:

You can write numerous articles but if your link is not correct, you get Zero leads.

Comment provided February 19, 2008 at 4:03 PM

Allen Graves writes:

I personally believe (to quote a very famous South Carolinian – LOL) that the article itself should not be thought of as a way or means of getting a sales lead. It should be a way or means to get someone to your website.

It is there that you should turn a visitor into a lead, or a buyer. How you write and manage your articles does have a great deal of importance as far as getting the visitor to your site and Chris gave some great advice for that above.

The articles that you write should work more toward gathering the attention of someone and making them want to check out your website…rather than trying to make them a potential sales lead and then hoping they click on your link.

This is just my opinion, of course!

Comment provided February 19, 2008 at 4:10 PM

Edward Weiss writes:

The right strategy for article marketing success is … be the expert in your field.

Write authoritatively on your topic. Come from a place of genuine helpfullness and you can’t lose!

Comment provided February 19, 2008 at 6:02 PM

Greg writes:

Didn’t Hemingway say in his final moments.. ‘it’s all true’?

My high dollar web coach said use articles to do two things basically. Establish yourself as an authority on your topic.. which brings a positive reputation – a marketing must. Second, write the article like you’re talking with a friend sitting across the table – not instructing someone on how to do heart surgery. Kee p a glass half-full attitude throughout and avoid negatives. Constructive and positive always.

One last piece of advice: avoid submitting services. They don’t work and are in it to spread their service’s link in your resource box only.

Bullets are good if genuinely instructive – but never more than 10 as a rule.

Comment provided February 19, 2008 at 10:26 PM

Yinka writes:

Thanks Chris. It’s so good and helpful that you posted these useful comments, especially the bit about word count. cheers

Comment provided February 20, 2008 at 1:09 AM

Denise Jelinek writes:

Hi Chris –

Awesome suggestions and ones that I can incorporate today.

I love practical advice!

Thank you.

Comment provided February 20, 2008 at 1:04 PM

Vern writes:

Hi Guys,

I’m going to make a small contribution here and it should relate to both Henrietta and Chris’s comments.

I only recently started article writing more aggressively in the past 9 months or so. This is due to the fact that I had been disillusioned that working on a business online is fairly easy and instant.

Its not.

After about 200 plus articles and counting (All of my articles are original works and I spend 20 minutes on each), I’m finally seeing a steady flow of sales in my business.

Its nothing to shout about but here are a few tips that have solidly proven to work for me during the past months.

Tip #1: I make sure that my article title and body always relate to what the reader whats to learn and benefit from.

Because if the reader likes my article, he or she will click on my URL and will be a potential client to my business.

Tip #2: My articles consists of about 400 words on average, sometimes the will be either 309 words or 559 words.

It doesn’t really matter… but I always make it a point to format my article so that any reader will be able to “scan very quickly” the entire article easily and still benefit from it.

Tip #3: Focusing on my writing and personality style always helps me write faster and better. I’m no professional author in anyway but I’m learning to be more and more like one when time goes by.

The key point is to always bring out your own personality like you are really talking to the person’s face. Treat your readers like humans who are eager to learn and have fun.

You’ll soon see a flood of prospects coming to your website soon enough. Oh yes, one more golden KEY point:

“What is the breakthrough point for an average writer like me?”

Answer: I believe it was 200 articles just like any other writer. Of course, some other authors have had great success from writing a lot less. But this really depends on your target market and the experience and exposure you get from every article that publishers have picked up.

Hope this helps. Sorry if its too long but I’ve tried to condense everything into one short post for ease of reading.

Best Regards,

Comment provided February 25, 2008 at 1:43 AM

Harold writes:

as the word ”art”icle says, it calls for artistic The quality and atttribute of the promise should be brought out clearly and consinstanly in the article, the linked website and the product,service package.

Good luck in your upcoming 222 articles.Dont give up unless you realy realy have to.

Harold, Manzini, Swaziland

Comment provided February 27, 2008 at 7:13 AM

Emily writes:

We have been testing with a variety of article formats over the last 6 months, and we find that articles titled like ‘5 best ways to ___’ or ‘ 8 questions to ask before ___’ , etc perform well.

A conventional paragraph-style article can be quickly converted into something like ‘3 things about ___’. It just needs a bit of restructuring, but if you are the author, you know the topic already.

You can also try it because it has worked for us in different topics.

Comment provided February 28, 2008 at 12:02 PM