For almost 2 years now, we’ve given our users the ability to REPORT AUTHORS who they believe are violating our terms of service in some way. To date, out of over 80,000+ authors, 150 have been reported for various reasons.
What happens when an author is reported to us, you ask?
- We investigate the legitimacy of their complaint and the legitimacy of the person doing the complaint.
- We investigate the member being reported by reviewing their account history, articles and interactions with us.
- If we determine it’s just a competitor trying to bring harm, we’ll ignore the complaint.
- If we determine there is good reason to believe the reporter, we’ll suspend the account from future submissions or suspend the account pending further investigation (locks the account down) for further review.
- Sometimes there are accusations where we’ll email the author to clarify the origin of their content submitted.
- A handful of the complaints told us that one of our members ripped them off and won’t give them their money back for something they purchased from them.
- Other times, we’re working to determine if we’re a good match between the member and EzineArticles.com.
I hope you can understand that there is another layer of efforts we do with this “Report Author” tool that I can’t be transparent about in order to protect our members and ourselves from those who would wish to discredit their competition…and for other reasons.
What I can tell you is that we take every complaint seriously and do our best to investigate thoroughly before making any action decisions based on the reports. Internally, we have an unpublished escalation procedure when a termination decision has been made so that more than one person of seniority on our team is involved to prevent bad decisions.