Grammar in The New World

An Aussie writes:

I was never any good at grammar, But i live for writing
My Question is
Why don’t we join the new world and not be too strict on grammar as long the message is right.Please help

I already thought we were too lenient on the poor grammar that we accept.

The deal is that your expertise is judged on your ability to communicate. This is especially true in broad market expertise areas where it’s difficult to tell one expert from another. If you want credibility from the written word, you’ll need to master grammar, spelling, punctuation and sentence structure.

Some tips to improve your grammar:

• Have another set of eyes proofread your work before submitting it.
  • Identify your spelling/grammar or sentence structure weakness and create a simple plan to eliminate repetitive mistakes.
  • The more you write, the better your grammar gets.

In your specific case, looking only at your email to me; I’d say you should focus on learning more about Capitalization, Punctuation and spacing around punctuation.

EzineArticles Trivia: Of the 21,000+ articles in Problem Status waiting for our members to fix something before we can review them; 8.0% are for grammar. That means 1,715 articles are waiting right now for our members to improve the grammar because we’ve determine that those articles are beyond the 1-2 minutes we can allocate to potentially fix them quick.

Herman writes:

Can you provide a list of the most common grammatical errors made by article writers and how to correct them?

Comment provided January 19, 2008 at 10:18 AM

Cathy Stucker writes:

Spelling and grammar are part of the professional image you create. When I see atrocious grammar, I am less likely to believe what I read. After all, if the writer can not make the effort to write properly, why should I assume they took the time to get the facts right?

Sorry folks, u cn rite txts 2 ur bff lik this, but do not expect me to read your articles, blog postings, comments or emails when they are loaded with sloppy spelling and grammar.

Comment provided January 19, 2008 at 10:19 AM

Denise O'Berry writes:

Chris —

I like the approach your editor’s take. I’m not a grammar cop and do make my share of mistakes like everyone else, but some of the articles that are published across the web these days are close to being totally illiterate.

One of my favorite sources for grammar issues is Grammar Girl’s podcast. It’s very informative, short and an easy listen. She also has great tips posted on her website and a book on the topic too.

Grammar Girl is located at

Thanks for keeping article authors on their toes!

Comment provided January 19, 2008 at 10:25 AM

Mary C Newton writes:

Comment provided January 19, 2008 at 11:00 AM

Thaddeus Ferguson writes:

My grammar isn’t that great either and the more articles that I write amazingly the better my grammar gets although on occasion I have to go back to school and ask a couple of Professors to proof read an article that EzineArticles keeps rejecting.

Also in some of my articles the only way to effectively communicate what it is that I am trying to communicate means that I must break some of the basic grammar rules.

Overal though I would say that EzineArticles is pretty lenient when it comes to grammar issues although English is my native tongue so I might have an edge in the leniency department.

Comment provided January 19, 2008 at 11:03 AM

Hi Chris!

I’m perfectionist. Wish I knew English better and could write English texts as perfectly as in Portuguese!
(My Greek is not as perfect (this is a very difficult language) but almost perfect.)

I use an English reviser indispensably for my articles and ebooks.

If you make mistakes writing, your work is not respected as it should.

Comment provided January 19, 2008 at 11:14 AM

Steven Gibbs writes:

I totally agree. When I see poor grammar I lose interest in the point being made because I focus more on the mistakes. I have been online for awhile now and I don’t remember when “learnt” became a word. Maybe I’m just too picky!

Comment provided January 19, 2008 at 11:21 AM

Judith writes:

Since all we have are our words online; perception is the only reality! Educated people type in an educated manner. If you don’t make these efforts you will be perceived as uneducated, lazy and lack credibility.

Ask any one who writes — learning how to do so well with clarity and proper grammar are skills that we continually hone if we want to succeed. It is a never ending learning process!

Successful business men and women are those who make determined efforts in specific areas — how they are perceived by their written communications is one of those areas. Underestimate or disregard this fact at your own risk and potential.

At your service,

Comment provided January 19, 2008 at 11:44 AM

Cathy Stucker writes:

Thaddeus – I agree. There are times when breaking a grammar rule makes your writing more accessible. I try to write in a conversational tone, and that means that my grammar is not always perfect.

Steven – You may be running across something written in “English English” rather than American English. “Learnt,” “spilt” and similar words are used more commonly in the U.K. than in the U.S.

But that brings up another point: There are national and even regional differences in language, and we need to be aware of them as we communicate internationally.

Comment provided January 19, 2008 at 12:01 PM

Something else Mary,

You love to write…and that tells me it’s a passion of yours.

One of the purposes of life is to discover the gifts we each have and then find ways to share them with others. If you love writing, then dedicate yourself to mastering the craft of writing….raise your standards above the status quo.

You reminded me of a jaw dropper when I learned how many different variations of English there are:

When I wrote my first book in the 90’s, my Wiley editor told me I was a “Comma Kazi” … meaning, I used too many comma’s inappropriately.

I made a conscious note of that and worked to significantly lower my overuse of commas.

My point: We each have our grammar deficiencies… so identify what they (with help from others) are and raise your standards to overcome each deficiency. I call that “gap elimination”…and it works.

Comment provided January 19, 2008 at 12:15 PM

Noemi PJ writes:

I’ve seen two common mistakes just reading the comments here: using an apostrophe (‘) when pluralizing words:

editor’s should be “editors”
comma’s should be “comma’s”

An apostrophe (‘) is used to show ownership, as in

Mary’s dog Beethoven.

An apostrophe (‘) is also used to combine a word and is, as in

Mary’s looking for her dog Beethoven.
[Mary is looking for her dog Beethoven.]

I hope this helps. Happy writing!

Carl Pruitt writes:

Why would a person go to a job interview wearing a crumpled dirty suit? Failing to pay attention to grammar and spelling in a submitted article is effectively the same thing.

Even worse. That article is going to be out in the world representing you forever.

Carl Pruitt

Comment provided January 19, 2008 at 12:26 PM

Most common errors we see?

– Lack of space after punctuation. Always (1) single space after any kind of punctuation.

– Spelling errors with easy-to-prevent mistakes like: two, to, and too. know vs. no. loose vs lose, choose vs chose, effect vs. affect, their vs they’re vs there, and you vs you’re vs your.

– Improper grasp of basic paragraph formation rules. First sentence of pragraph is the central theme of the entire paragraph and the following 3-7 sentences supports the first sentence.

Yes, we still get 1 big blog of an article in a 1000 word single-paragraph mess. Drives us nuts because the author (typically an engineer) is a true expert in his or her craft…but can’t communicate their expertise in print very well.

Hope these off-the-cuff comments help.

Comment provided January 19, 2008 at 12:30 PM

Edward Weiss writes:

Oh those Aussies. Just thrown another shrimp on the barbie and dive right in.

On a more serious note, when it comes to article writing, it’s as Chris said … it’s about communicating.

Poor grammar aside, just get your message across the best you can and if it’s that bad, just have someone else edit it.

Comment provided January 19, 2008 at 5:14 PM

Ramon Greenwood writes:

I’m no expert; most of us are not. But I do know that proper punctuation, grammar and spelling are essential to effective written communications.

I agree with Chris. Aussie needs to follow the rules of a pro or expect to be seen in a negative light.

Comment provided January 20, 2008 at 11:18 AM

Cathy Perkins writes:

I, too, am picky about grammar, spelling, and punctuation. When I am stuck I check the Grammar Girl first. Thanks for mentioning her, Denise. Here is her link – one more time:

We can all learn something from her!

Comment provided January 21, 2008 at 1:08 PM

I totally agree and have found my own grammar improving quite a bit. Lance

Comment provided January 22, 2008 at 6:22 PM

Jerry F. Smith writes:

Your comments are great. Even as an old math teacher and football coach I always conscious of my great grammar deficiencies.

Thanks for all you do to lead us in the right direction. Keep up the good work.

Comment provided January 23, 2008 at 4:52 PM

Grammar, style — all of the elements of good writing — are so much more than a set of arbitrary rules. Poor grammar can completely change the meaning of a sentence. When we write something, we may know exactly what we mean to get across, but the reader may read something quite different from what we intend.

Language, grammar and expression can be used to enlighten and uplift. Or confuse and mislead. The easiest to read paragraphs are sometimes the ones labored over the most.

If, as writers, we intend for our readers to understand and appreciate our work, grammar has to be a consideration.

Comment provided January 24, 2008 at 2:32 PM

Yes, editing takes time, and too often even the most careful editors miss something. However, in a world of words without faces, people are often judged by the quality of their edits. I have passed by many a site claiming expertise because they can’t even spell the word.

People should take pride in what they put their names on, even if it’s just a pseudonym.
I am an editor by trade and an English teacher by vocation. If you would like to learn more about editing, I recommend three books: The Elements of Style, by Strunk and White; Powerful Proofreading, Crisp publishing; and Clear Writing, also Crisp Publishing. You may never use the word ‚¬“utilize‚¬ again.

Comment provided January 28, 2008 at 2:32 PM

Lynn, Great Resources there, thanks, I agree completely. Lance

Comment provided January 28, 2008 at 4:24 PM

In response to Steven Gibbs’ question about when did “learnt” become a word. No, you’re not being picky, you just don’t know that learnt is the British equivalent of the Americans’ learned. The British say “whilst” and Americans say “while” and so forth.

Another huge mistake people make is not knowing the difference between plural and possessive.
That is one that really bugs me and I see it all the time, in this forum and elsewhere.

Comment provided February 26, 2008 at 5:45 PM

asset tracking writes:

Thanks for the helpful tips.

Comment provided October 21, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Yashesh Joshi writes:

Hey good fellas!

I don’t have anyone to proof-read my article! Is it possible for any of you to just have a look at following piece and let me know what’s wrong! Thanks a bunch :)

“Somehow the title K-Pak is not very attractive, unless you have already seen the movie because that is when you get a grasp over the things!”

Some link to reliable online grammar check will be great too!

Comment provided April 20, 2011 at 1:21 AM

Anant Awasthi writes:

Hi I am facing the rejection of my articles at EzineArticles with grammar and spelling errors issues.

I like to raise an issue that why the in-house editors at EzineArticles do not highlight the problematic areas while rejecting the articles.

When i write an article for EzineArticles, i try my best to keep the article free from spelling and grammar errors. Upon rejection of an article, the edition is like a shot in dark, because you do not know what is right and wrong.

Considerably, each writer can not afford editor, so please start highlighting the problematic text on further rejections.

Comment provided December 20, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Hi Anant,

We will use the highlight tool when there is one specific area that needs correcting in your article. When there are issues throughout, we will not use the tool but rather let you know that there are grammatical errors that need further review. In order to assist you further, a member of our Support Team will be in contact with you shortly. Feel free to reach them anytime you have a question via the ‘Contact Us’ button within your My.EzineArticles account.