Every Expert Needs A Platform

You’re an expert in your craft and niche, but how big is your platform?

If you’ve ever tried to sell a manuscript to any major book publisher, you know one of the first few questions they are going to ask: Will it sell and do you have a platform (or installed base of people who know, like and trust you)?

For 2008, one of our primary themes at EzineArticles.com is that we want to help you build your platform on ours; meaning, we’re going to work hard to make sure there isn’t another website platform out there that can give you the exposure, traffic, and leverage that our platform can deliver with you and your quality original articles in it.

• If you’re just starting out, you can think of EzineArticles as a grass roots approach to building your platform of followers.
  • If you’re already established, EzineArticles can help you grow your marketshare.
  • If you’re established and changing directions in your expertise life, EzineArticles can help you relaunch your new niche success on the fast track.

Now, this all sounds dandy, but in order to help you build a “credible” platform of relevant and highly qualified visitor to your articles… we both have a lot of work to do together.

Some of the decisions we’re going to make in 2008 to increase the credibility of the EzineArticles platform is going to buck heads with how some of our members want to use the platform. With growth comes some uneasiness when trying to grow with decisions for the greater good of all stakeholders.

You can expect that the quality bar will be raised each month in terms of the minimum quality level we’ll accept from our members and our members can expect our competence and consistency to increase this year.

Internally this month, we’re focused on speed of a quality article review, quality of consistency, and trying to reduce the number of emails it takes to solve a members problem or query. In addition, our network admin and developer team has expanded to enhance site security, enhance uptime and help roll out new planned services.

In closing, we are innovating and building a stronger, more vibrant back-end to the EzineArticles platform and I invite you to submit more of your quality original articles this week so we can help you build your platform!

Albert Hallado writes:

OK! I’m ready Chris lets do this…

Albert Hallado

Comment provided January 15, 2008 at 3:30 PM

Arthur Levine writes:

You certainly practice what you say. I just had the fastest approval turnaround in almost a year at well under 8 hours.

Comment provided January 15, 2008 at 6:11 PM

Peter Knight writes:

Thank you. I’m just starting out in this. I’m game.
(Are we related? We must have some wandering knight in common, somewhere in our distant ancestry :) )

Comment provided January 15, 2008 at 6:39 PM

Hi Chris!

I’m not happy like Arthur! I’m disappointed with you.

You say you are going to help us, but you are too theoric.
You had said a long time ago (when I almost had 100 articles at EA) that the authors with more than 100 articles, original content, etc. would be named Diamonds and have some advantage! Now I have almost 250 articles here, but you still didn’t do anything!

Two weeks ago I became the top author on Depression. Did I receive anything special? Did anyone notice that?
Are you going to do something to promote my work when I will be the top author in 2 categories? In 3?
What if I’ll be the top author in 5 or more categories? Is this going to be noticed?
Will I have any benefit? Or will I have to wait a whole day to see my article live again if I’ll dare to change it’s category, because one of your editors has to check my decision and verify if I choose the correct one?…

I told you in another thread that you have to change the place where the reader can leave a comment: it has to be Under the article and without the 2 lists of most read and most published articles in the middle of the way, before they can rate the article, like now.
Which your reaction was? You tried to justify your disorganized template.

I feel I’m wasting my time with the discussions in this blog. We are only exchanging ideas, but nothing changes.

Recently many people rated my articles. I’m sure they would like very much to say something, but they couldn’t find where to leave their comment! because it is at the top of the page, Over the article. Only a “genius” would think that the best place for a reader to leave his or her comment After reading the article should be at the Top, near the Title!!!

In the beginning I didn’t submit my articles anywhere else. Now I saw that I have to submit them to more than many sites, because here at EzineArticles they don’t have the exposure that they have in other sites that Promote the authors!

Comment provided January 15, 2008 at 6:45 PM

Derek Dashwood writes:

Chris, I am new, and am learning to read and read again the http rules, which to me is the challenge that I will master. Any further details you give back seem to explain. We all wince when we see the honest too self serving and know we have to pull our product out a few times. But the lady who went on so much with so much negativism and criticism that you guys don’t get it, was not the new author that you honestly seek. You want uplifting articles that give people hope: more stories about how to pull yourself up from gloom to see the sunny side of the street is just over there. Maybe she should try some uplifting titles than depression. Lincoln suffered depression all his life, but with a hostile wife, a dying son, and a bit of a bother with those southern soldiers, he did not write 125 articles about his depression. The Gettysburg Address was written on the train on the way to honor the greatest dead ever on American soil and he wrote to honor dedicate and consecrate: not tell them how depressed he felt about all this.

Comment provided January 15, 2008 at 7:22 PM

First, the Diamond thing is not released for anyone. We have not released it yet because we’re not convinced it will have a positive impact.

We aim to be operationally efficient first and intimate with our members, second. It’s impossible to do both very well and we’ve chosen to be very operationally efficient. That has trade off’s including not being able to recognize every major achievement our members have with us or providing a highly personalized experience.

I can tell you that we have a project that was outlined earlier this morning that will get us closer to your complaint of a lack of recognition…but that is only a week in production with no ETA for when it’ll be released.

The comment location won’t be changed for now. Sorry that you don’t agree with the decision.

We’re not right for everyone nor do we seek to be the perfect platform for every need. If you are finding success with competitor sites, then go with what works for you.

Comment provided January 15, 2008 at 7:27 PM

Jeanette writes:

Wow, Christina, I was the number one author on EzineArticles long ago when we were all new. Then, Lance showed us how it could be done and Jeff showed us another organized way. I’ve been number one most of the time for real estate investing articles and never expected special treatment. The benefit I get is over a million views, tons of traffic, TV shows, radio shows, magazine (Cosmo in December, Home Solutions, etc.), encyclopedia articles for which I’ve been paid, and a feature article on my ideas in the Wall Street Journal this Friday. Plus, two of my books have been best sellers on Amazon in their category–without doing the million email bonus blast. I got to go on a Greek Isle cruise with mega authors, go to Mark Victor Hansen’s birthday party last Saturday night, and meet celebrities like Willie Nelson and the Nobel Peace Prize winner Yunus. Now, I’m working with a new partner and having a blast writing books in three days. All of this has happened from posting my articles on EzineArticles.

When I lost my daughter and then my husband, the authors here supported me. This is the finest community on the Internet and I LOVE EzineArticles.

Joy to you,

Jeanette Fisher

Comment provided January 15, 2008 at 7:30 PM

Technically, you don’t need to know any HTML code to write & submit articles.

If you include a full http:// URL, we’ll auto link it for you.

If you want to make an anchored text link (making a word link to your website), this article can help you master the essential HTML for article writers.

Comment provided January 15, 2008 at 7:32 PM

You are an excellent example of the benefit of writing lots of great quality articles here on EzineArticles.

Thanks for sharing and I’m glad you are here.

Comment provided January 15, 2008 at 7:47 PM

Ok, I’m not attacking. I’m pointing out the mistakes because I belong to EzineArticles too.
I’m going to be the top author number 4, after Lance, Jeff and Jeanette.

I saw many things in other sites that work much better than at EzineArticles.
If I’m complaining is because I want to help you improve it.

If I want special attention is because I believe that the best authors deserve promotion, because I saw it happening in other places and because it is very nice! This would be a real platform for us, new authors!

Comment provided January 15, 2008 at 8:14 PM

Luis Gaviria writes:

Even though I am a published author in medicine, I am a newbie here. Let me tell you something: I am thrilled with the possibilities we all have with EzineArticles. This is more than anyone could ever expect in the so called “real” brick and mortar world.

Kudos for a great platform and for such a powerful concept!

Best regards,

Luis Gaviria

Comment provided January 15, 2008 at 8:25 PM

Thomas Bladecki writes:

As a new author, I have recently attained the all mighty “Platinum” status, at this time I have 50 articles published and more in the queue.

I have to say that while I do use other directories to promote my writing I get the most traffic, by far using EzineArticles. I am very happy with the traffic to my sites.

Like I have stated, I am new to using articles for traffic, and I have found out quickly that is WORKS!

Keep up the good work and I appreciate the efforts of you and your team in assisting me with my personal goals and achievements.

Thomas Bladecki

Comment provided January 15, 2008 at 11:01 PM

Derek Dashwood writes:

Thank you Chris, If we all work together with you and become successful like Jeanette Fisher sounds.
And, Christina, with your attitude, methinks you require an updated lesson in chivalry: nice beats nasty. This is always how Mammy Yokum defeated evil eye kneival: out stare his whammy with her pure heart. Take that, Depression . Go whammy yo mammy, but not my mammy, nor me. Our Yokum is pure, your’s is all grumpy.

Comment provided January 15, 2008 at 11:10 PM

Nicole Wipp writes:

OK, am I missing something here? The term “top authors” refers to the amount of articles written, not as any reference to quality of articles—correct?

(I am NOT commenting here about the quality of EZA’s “top authors,” just questioning the difference, because either way, I do believe there is one.)

…For me, the benefit of EzineArticles has been to gain access to an audience that I would not have reached otherwise-and that is well worth it. So, if Chris and EzineArticles can help me build my platform to new heights then …. I am all for it!

Comment provided January 15, 2008 at 11:16 PM

Majelis writes:

Wow, I don’t want to be part of this pros and cons. I admire Christina Sponias for the number of articles she has published so far. And I love Christopher M. Knight for providing EzineArticles for my articles. I love the way Jeanette Fisher describes the benefits of being an expert author at EzineArticles. Jeanette, I have been dreaming that one day I will write a book or many books that will be on New York Times Best Seller List or Amazon.Com International Best Seller List. I find many models and great figures at EzineArticles and they all inspire me a lot. Indirectly they all tell me what it takes to be a successful author. I think I will never leave EzineArticles unless Brother Christopher M. Knight terminate my account. Best Regards

Comment provided January 16, 2008 at 1:18 AM

Thanks for your notes,
I thing you are great in extracting people`s talents.Giving them the self esteem to think,write and comment.

Comment provided January 16, 2008 at 3:40 AM

Bill Ellis writes:

Chris, I use you network to store article on science and society that i have witten in the past as well as the present.
Most of the readers of my ezine come to the list at my urging. Rather than reply to similar posts I just use posts from the past.

I am NOT interested in making money. This seems to be you hang up. I am interested in new ideas and action that will transform society.

More readers might help. But I don;t fin a lot of social conscoousness on your wevsite. So I look elswhere for readers interested in a better world.

Bill Ellis

Comment provided January 16, 2008 at 7:02 AM

Chinmay Chakravarty writes:

Thanks Chris. This is great. I’m with you irrespective of whether I deserve it or not. At the moment I’m flying high with my newly earned ‘Platinum status’!

Many article directories take EzineArticles articles and publish them as ‘posted by admin’ or simply ‘posted’. Isn’t it inbuilt promotion?

Comment provided January 16, 2008 at 7:52 AM

The Top Authors thing doesn’t mean they are the “BEST” authors; it just means they are the top in terms of VOLUME for that category.

How the heck do you write books in (3) days? Wow, that’s pretty efficient.

Comment provided January 16, 2008 at 8:58 AM

Jeanette writes:

Hey Bill,

The Wall Street Journal feature story coming out this Friday grew from articles posted on EzineArticles and on my site http://www.environmentpsychology.com (only promoted by articles here): Ways to Save Gas, Just Stay Home Campaign, and Vacationing at Home. Search for Environmental Psychology and you will see the power of just a few articles to push a website to the top and keep it high even after you move onto other topics. My point, social consciousness is more than alive and well on EzineArticles.

As for writing books fast, my friend Mark Little tried my system. He improved it and then my daughter, who taught English freshmen to write, shared some of her tips. We put these systems together and created The Book Race. We have editors, artists, and systems to get it done instead of teaching you how to do it. Come play and write with us.

Jeanette Fisher

Comment provided January 16, 2008 at 9:29 AM

Writing books fast? This is very interesting.

I’m used to write books during a very long time.
My ebook ‚¬“Craziness Prevention‚¬ was written in a period of 19 years and my book ‚¬“The philanthropic Beggar‚¬ was written in 6 and a half years!
This kind of work is more than rare today! I don’t think I will ever meet a writer that will write books so, so well prepared like me.

However, I like very much the idea of writing a book in only three days!
I wrote a 45 pages ebook in one week! This was very easy. I think that everything depends on what you are writing and why.
I could write that kind of ebook in one day if I didn’t have to do anything else besides writing.

I think you are a very interesting person, Jeanette! I’m going to read what you are suggesting us.
I’m interested on environmental psychology.

Comment provided January 16, 2008 at 12:23 PM

mike cardus writes:

EzineArticles has already helped increas my web traffic. It also has been beneficial for me to show profensional credibility.
I will continue to post articles

Comment provided January 16, 2008 at 4:09 PM

Edward Weiss writes:

Hello all,

Christina, it’s not up to EzineArticles to shout your name to the world. That’s your responsibility.

So you’re a top author. That’s good. You should be promoting that fact yourself. The thing is, people who reach the EzineArticles site only want relevant information. They could care less if you’re the top author in your category.

I was the top author in my category (music) too for quite a while until someone came along and knocked me into second place.

Comment provided January 16, 2008 at 4:32 PM

Hi Edward!

I know that EzineArticles is not my manager, but since the topic of this thread is: ‚¬“EzineArticles as a platform for authors‚¬ I wanted to express my opinion because I saw that in other sites the authors have exposure, rights, etc. that we don’t have here. I’m not happy with the platform EzineArticles offers. It could give more and win a lot with that.

We submit here our very best original articles and bring traffic to this site. This site could promote us more, like other sites do. This is what I’m saying.
Is there any difference for me if I’ll submit 100 articles to EzineArticles or to other article directories with the same ranking? Why should I submit my original articles here? Only because this site has high traffic? Other sites have a lot of traffic too and offer more.

I want to see EzineArticles being perfect though, because this is my favorite article directory. Otherwise, I wouldn’t care.

Comment provided January 16, 2008 at 5:15 PM

Majelis writes:

Hello brothers and sisters. Why don’t we stop arguing about this issue and move on to a more productive thread so we can make this world a more peaceful place to live. Christina just voices what she thinks she deserves. And I am sure she does it out of love and care about EzineArticles. She wants EzineArticles to be better than she thinks it is now.

Comment provided January 17, 2008 at 12:44 AM

Albert Hallado writes:

Good point Majelis! let’s move on and AMEN to that.

Comment provided January 17, 2008 at 12:47 AM

Thank you for your kind comment, Majelis!

I really love EzineArticles and I’m grateful because Chris showed me how much I could do through article writing. This is why I care so much for everything related to EzineArticles.

Comment provided January 17, 2008 at 5:27 AM

Not wanting to throw fuel on this fire, but we work too hard behind the scenes to promote our members to not step up and ask these questions:

Show me one competitor site that delivers more than a million emails EACH month to promote its members?

Show me a competitor site that has more than 80,000+ RSS feeds to promote its members content?

Show me a competitor site that accepts your articles with an alexa rank lower than ours?

Show me a competitor site that has our traffic levels?

Show me a competitor site that sends more than a million clicks to its member websites each month?

I’d like to know so that we can improve. :)

Comment provided January 17, 2008 at 8:59 AM

Jeanette writes:

I had no idea about the million emails, 80,000 feeds, and the million clicks. I have always been impressed with your traffic levels and alexa rank, but it’s good to know the rest of the story.

A MILLION emails? Isn’t that a record? Who else sends that many?

Comment provided January 17, 2008 at 9:16 AM

Thaddeus Ferguson writes:

Hey Chris,

I was talking to a friend of mine about this the other day he is a photographer (ironic since I haven’t uploaded a picture yet) and I was telling him how EzineArticles would be a great place for him to find some more clients and generate traffic to his site.
He told me he had heard of you guys but thought that going with a website that is geared more towards photography would be better for him since be associated with the photography website would give him more “relevance” than EzineArticles.
I then told him that EzineArticles is like Walmart (in the domination since) when it comes to article marketing and whatever “Photography” website that allows him to submit articles is going to be more like whatever the biggest Photography Brick and Mortar shop there is (which I have no idea who that is).

In other words while going to different article sites might get you a more specific “clientle” EA’s reach is so huge that not only will people looking for what you have to say will find you those that don’t will too.

In a brick and mortar type of place I might see how that would be a problem yet the truth is online unless you start generating the type of traffic that the great Lance Winslow’s articles create have to many “warm” visitors online is not a problem that a beginner should be worried about.

Comment provided January 17, 2008 at 9:53 AM

Good positive turnaround now. If the top author on Depression gets depressing thoughts what lesser mortals like us would do?

Comment provided January 17, 2008 at 10:43 AM

Congratulations, Chris! EzineArticles is really the best!
This is why it is at the top.

However, there always many points that need improvement everywhere.
I was expecting more concerning the relationship we have with our readers. Their comments are very important!
I believe that you have to promote more the authors that write more and the authors that provide you a richer content.

I love EzineArticles for many reasons, especially for its organization! I can see all my articles and how many people visited my site from them, etc.
This is the most organized and beautiful article directory! I like it very much! And I’m going to be a top writer in many categories.

I only want to help you, feel that everything here is perfect and that you are really helping the authors as much as we deserve.

Comment provided January 17, 2008 at 10:59 AM

Last month we sent 1.4 million permission-based emails to 76,968 unique list members on 435 different niche email lists (one for each EzineArticles category).

RSS feeds, we have one for every member and one for every category; plus one searchable RSS feed for approved RSS Publishers only with established platforms.

Dude, get your author photo uploaded. :)

Comment provided January 17, 2008 at 1:21 PM

Bill Ellis writes:

My article are being edited to put them in book style oder and to eliminate ovrlaps and gaps in the thinking. A section on the history and present strength of the counter culture movements will be added.

Comment provided January 20, 2008 at 12:01 PM

Joey Michael writes:

Great post Chris! It’s true that every expert, even a beginner also needs a platform to show their writing skills in front of all and EzineArticles seriously makes it possible for us. I used to write for several sites, blogs and individuals, but still I am quite excited to write for Ezine. Their editorial guidelines improve the quality of content and provide a best suited result in response to a request.

Apart from the writing, who needs to improve their skills always depends upon the references of the Ezine.

Thumbs up to you and your expert team!!!!

Comment provided July 14, 2014 at 11:49 PM