The Model

I was sketching this yesterday during a meeting with an outsider trying to explain how the basic model works and thought I’d put my sketch into an image:
EzineArticles model

Essentially the Expert Authors are at the top of the model because the Platform means nothing (our role) if the quality of the content isn’t there. Users are in red because they fuel the opportunity by providing the expert authors with qualified traffic, exposure and interest while also fueling the ‘supply’ side of the ad inventory for the Advertisers while also making the service we provide to the Expert Authors for free. The Publishers are in Yellow because so few of them deserve our respect, yet the quality minority of the true Ezine Publishers do provide significant syndication value to our members.

This is a good model, Chris!

I’m glad because we expert authors are at the top! This is a nice recognition.

Comment provided December 20, 2007 at 11:11 AM

Yes, good model Chris – one picture does paint a thousand words!

Will the eagerly awaited new structure of authors place the “Super Platinum” authors above the experts? No, I haven’t forgotten :-)

PS: The two finalists from EzineArticles in this year’s Top Sales Article Of The Year contest are doing well but could always do with a litttle extra assistance from the EzineArticles supporters – the poll is here:

Comment provided December 20, 2007 at 11:51 AM

Chinmay Chakravarty writes:

Yes, illustrative and effective model. Chris, would you kindly explain why ‘so few of publishers deserve our respect’ and ‘true ezine publishers’? I had seen some of my aricles in distorted form in some of the publishing sites.

Comment provided December 20, 2007 at 12:47 PM

You already answered your own question.

Publishers who are unethical do not deserve any respect.

Comment provided December 20, 2007 at 12:54 PM

Fortunately most publishers are respectable and they spread our articles everywhere!

Every day I receive a message from Google alert showing me that at least one of my articles (usually 3) was picked up by a publisher and I see my articles in very nice sites, exactly as I wrote them.

I’m happy for that because they do all the work for me, otherwise I would have to submit my articles to too many places.

Comment provided December 20, 2007 at 3:53 PM

I enjoyed the cool chart and the abstract thinking and discussion that went into it. Excellent, but with regards to the overall business model and EzineArticles Team, well I have just two things to say, one Put your Logo in the Center, because we authors have found a winner. And too;

And a Happy New Year to all the rest of YOU!

Because 2008 is going to be Great! I just feel it!

Comment provided December 20, 2007 at 6:00 PM

Whoops! The Logo is in the Background, I guess with the bright colors, and in real life, sometimes, EzineArticles is behind the scenes making the authors look great, providing quality content for the Ezine Publishers and superb information to the reader that we all sometimes forget all the great work they do behind the scenes.

With that said I have some other ideas that popped up, while I was studying your schematic.

1.) Put this with a link or on the Author’s Sign Up Page. Explaining it to them.

2.) Make this downloadable and printable, for people writing research papers on the Internet. I see more and more being written on Google Scholar pages on this sort of thing.

3.) Post an article to the AP and ARA Content PR on how information-entrepreneurial companies are helping the world realize the dream of Universal Knowledge and information, this will attract new authors and Ezine Publishers.

4.) The other websites you have for Ezine Publisher sign-ups and for the Ezine Publishers, they too need to see this chart with explanation.

And one more comment. You can turn that wheel anyway you want so the people it affects are on top. So, If the User is “on top” or “Reader” then you can use it to attract more readers. If the Ezine Publisher is on top, they too feel great as you care about them also. If the Advertiser is on top during sales process, they are more apt to advertise with you or partner with you in some new way – as the online advertising game is evolving.

Just thinking outloud, because I am just so Proud, something to contemplate for 2008.

Comment provided December 20, 2007 at 6:19 PM

Thaddeus Ferguson writes:

Chris knowing your stance on always trying to stay and keep everything positive I can only imagine your true distaste for many of the publishers that use or rather steal from your site

Comment provided December 20, 2007 at 10:08 PM

Great idea about rotating the chart to suit who we’re pitching or selling the model idea to!

Merry Christmas right back at you.

Comment provided December 21, 2007 at 7:34 AM

Ramon Greenwood writes:

I’m confused. I have thought “users” and “publishers” are one in the same. As I understand it, “publishers” are those who produce E-zines. Correct? Who are “users”?

I have thought the main opportunities for my articles to be picked up were with “publishers”. Now I read your comment that “so few of them deserve our respect.”

Please help me here.

I hope there is some virtue in admitting my ignorance.

Comment provided December 21, 2007 at 9:31 AM

Users are Readers or those who surf the website for the sole purpose to read the content, comment on the content, rate it, etc.

Users do not post articles nor do they syndicate content.

Publishers who follow the posted TOS deserve your, our and everyone’s respect.

The greater majority of ezine and web publishers do follow the rules and give proper credit to our members. It’s the small minority that give us 99% of our headache. I’m guilty of painting too broad of a stroke casting what must sound like “all publishers are evil” thoughts… My original statement towards publishers is not fair because if the majority didn’t follow the TOS, this model would be in the deadpool.

2008 is the year we hold Publishers accountable and give Authors the right to notify us that they don’t wish to give syndication rights to publishers. We haven’t rolled that out yet because the reality is that it takes a lot of education to help newbie authors figure out that some will abuse it even if they say NO syndication and we don’t want more liability for giving them a choice to not allow syndication.

Comment provided December 21, 2007 at 9:40 AM

Ramon Greenwood writes:

Many thanks for your prompt and helpful reply. I continued to be amazed and thankfully for the service you provide.

I wish you and everyone at Happy Holidays. I look to sharing a prosperous 2008 with you.

Comment provided December 21, 2007 at 10:09 AM

Yes, perhaps we should put the users at the top, because they are basic. Perhaps users and authors should be exactly in the same level, since both are basic.

Publishers and advertisers are not as indispensable as readers and writers, even though they have their importance.

Comment provided December 21, 2007 at 10:55 AM

Hi Chris,

I have created a Blog – “Business & Finance International Forum” where I am going to post articles which are interested to me on the subjects -business, finance, management and related from other Expert Authors of EzineArticles.

By using Digg and Technorati, I hope I can genearte some traffic to those articles.

Now I am a reader and a publisher.

Just click my name, you will get into what I have created this morning.

Merry Christmas to you all

Comment provided December 22, 2007 at 6:20 AM

Derek Dashwood writes:

Yes, Chris, Abby and you wonderful numbers, I am finding you very helpful:” your slaps on the wrist are right to the oint, mostly rushing our article, or not doing the edit, because we all all pumped with the next shot over their bow. But. Get the powder in, http packed, but check twice, fire once, or the darn thing blows back at you with such a kick back it could take your breath away.
So, pick ourselves, brush the cannon powder off, and get back to that story of my ancestor who tugged at Nelson’s shirt, seeing a widening in the French fleet as the tide changed at Trafalgar, and said Sir…
So we can all tug at each other shirt sleeves, on the same side -this is my story by the way guys- self serving but it wasn’t me, my ancestor. I am going to sell …hm… shirts without bullet holes.

Comment provided January 17, 2008 at 5:09 PM