The Nerd Handbook

Michael Lopp (Sr. Engineering Manager at Apple) has this great piece called “The Nerd Handbook” that is worth a read.

As I was reading his Nerd Handbook…highlighting the fact that Nerds live for working on “projects”… you could have easily substituted “article writers” for “nerds” because many of us who write articles view them as ‘creative projects’…

Lastly, Lopp has many interesting pieces in his “Writing” section. If you wanted to check out his latest book: Managing Humans: Biting and Humorous Tales of a Software Engineering Manager

O.K., Chris, so I qualify as a nerd. But I am loving every minute of writing articles, ebooks, ecourses, and yes, even sales letters. So I might be a nerd, but I am living out my passion here in Nerdville.

Comment provided November 25, 2007 at 12:15 PM

This is a great article and yes i could see a lot of myself in it as I read it

Comment provided November 25, 2007 at 12:43 PM

Susan Scharfman writes:

Sounds to me like the ‚¬“Strunk and White‚¬ of Nerdom. Great stuff, even for someone who is shy about communicating with Nerds. In the Apple Store, for example, my side of the conversation at the Genius Bar goes something like, ‚¬“Um, this part is broken; this thing doesn’t work.‚¬

Comment provided November 25, 2007 at 1:56 PM

Hi Chris!

Interesting author, but I don’t like his ironic style.

I prefer to read authors that teach us something constructive than reading what ironic authors have to say, because they simply criticize everything without giving solutions to the world.

Perhaps some people need to pay attention to his observations, but I’m happy I’m not in their place. I would not like to understand everything he shows us and feel that I’m a nerd in a desert, without any hope of salvation.

I like authors that make things easy for the readers and help them understand, learn and feel better after reading their words.

Comment provided November 25, 2007 at 2:43 PM

Wow, great topic, I just noticed I have about 15 articles on Nerds, Stereotypes and Social Aspects of that label. For instance:

I certainly enjoyed the article that you presented, very well done indeed.

Comment provided November 25, 2007 at 9:31 PM

anson writes:

Michael Lopp is a great author.. i love this article

Comment provided December 20, 2007 at 12:42 AM

Anson, I believe that your comments here are lacking content, and that you Sir are merely posting to get back links to your website. I find this disengenous and alarming. I also believe it is insincere and taking advantage of the system. I believe you should be excommunicated from all activities on and further believe that all your posts should be elimintated.

You do not capitalize your name, or “I” and your posts are jibberish and meaningless. You are gaming the system and what you are doing is wrong and lacks integrity. Please explain yourself in a paragraph, without mistages in grammar, capitalization or syntax.

If not, I would ask you as a favor to move on. I have been getting email alerts of your posts on every single topic, and always you provide NOTHING to the conversation. I am disgusted with your behavior, you have offended me and all the authors here. Defend your behavior!

Comment provided December 20, 2007 at 1:17 AM