Blog Innovation

Sometimes it’s the subtle improvements that we make that seems not worth mentioning, but when you add up all of the tiny innovations, you’re left with a big result in terms of a positive user experience.

Yesterday, our developer team implemented a way for you to see whenever myself or someone on the EzineArticles team comments in the blog as it’ll be highlighted in a light color. The purpose of this is to make it very clear when someone is speaking on behalf of EzineArticles vs. someone who is not an EzineArticles representative making a comment.

I saw the feature showing up in other blogs and thought it was brilliant because it made it very easy for me to spot the opinion within the conversation that I wanted to track. Hope you enjoy this small subtle improvement and if you run a blog yourself…you may want to implement this feature.

Example: This entry is highlighted and any entry by anyone on our team will be highlighted within the discussion.

Comment provided November 20, 2007 at 9:17 AM

Hi Christopher thank you for all the creativity you put into your site.

I thought I would add this so I can see what the contrast looked like.

George

Comment provided November 20, 2007 at 10:37 AM

Hi Chris!

I like it very much!
I’m happy with your innovations, the new environment at EzineArticles, everything!

Congratulations for being so dedicated to your work!
The improvements reflect a healthy business and are always appreciated by everyone.

I hope you’ll be always so creative and EzineArticles, always in the top!

Comment provided November 20, 2007 at 10:43 AM

Zack Lim writes:

Hi Chris,

This small improvement will definitely be good for scanning through the Comments that people have posted onto the blog.

We will know when is the post that you or your team comment on certain issue.

Thanks for the small improvement that you have done to improve customer experience :)

Zack

Comment provided November 20, 2007 at 10:57 AM

Lin writes:

Chris – great deature – is this done with a plug in and if so can you share how it is done?

Comment provided November 20, 2007 at 2:03 PM

Lin,

It wasn’t a plug in.

It was a PHP/CSS hack that our dev guys did.

Comment provided November 20, 2007 at 3:35 PM

This is great. Tell your dev guys to post the code. I want this :)

Comment provided November 20, 2007 at 7:25 PM

rabasure writes:

Highlighting the comment made by a member will help to identify and their frequency in participation in your ws.ok

Comment provided November 20, 2007 at 8:44 PM

Jeanette Fisher writes:

Neat code. Why not sell it?

Comment provided November 20, 2007 at 11:25 PM

Matt Ellsworth writes:

Nice idea – very cool “hack”

Comment provided November 20, 2007 at 11:32 PM

rabasure writes:

The promotion of a blog afterall needs viewership for which one should visit the WS first of all and then make his comment.The highlighting the comment of a member or non-member will not only to identify and diffrentiate them and to asses their frequency in visiting the ws and their involvement in participation.

Comment provided November 21, 2007 at 1:55 AM

I am Giving Thanks to EzineArticles’ Blog, this Thanksgiving! And again every day for week after everytime I eat a Turkey Sandwich for lunch!

Comment provided November 21, 2007 at 2:13 AM

Excellent hack! Kewl work, dev guys.

Comment provided November 21, 2007 at 7:43 AM

Here’s the hack. Just change the name of the poster from my name to yours…and of course, you can name your CSS file anything you like.

NO SUPPORT COMES WITH THIS HACK.
NO SUPPORT COMES WITH THIS HACK.
NO SUPPORT COMES WITH THIS HACK.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment provided November 21, 2007 at 8:34 AM

You sound very sure about not offering support with this hack…

Too funny. Thanks, Chris, that’s great!

Comment provided November 21, 2007 at 8:43 AM

Chris,

I’m not great with code, so excuse me if my question sounds stupid. When we replace the name of the poster, will that just highlight the one poster? How do you do multiple posters?

Comment provided November 21, 2007 at 9:34 AM

Jeanette Fisher writes:

Thank you! I appreciate you!

Comment provided November 21, 2007 at 9:38 AM

Sorry Chris, disregard my question. I took the “no support” disclaimer to mean after we tried to do it. Thanks anyway for sharing, it’s an excellent idea.

Comment provided November 21, 2007 at 9:48 AM

I like this little feature… I noticed it in today’s blog, and then came here to read this after the fact…LOL

Comment provided November 21, 2007 at 5:33 PM

Amy Pedersen writes:

I am going to implement the same thing in my blogs tomorrow. I like the idea that the owner of the blog or the administrator would stand out. The main author is exactly what most users are scrolling through the blog looking for, and it has simply made the search that much easier.
First posting on here and am happy to finally have soemthing to say and a compliment at that. Great job with all the hard work you do there at EzineArticles.
Have a good one.

Comment provided November 23, 2007 at 11:45 PM

Darlene Tooley writes:

Hello Chris,
This is my first time here, I was going to sumit an article but after reading the rules I know now that I must write it my self. I was reading over some of the comments to get a feel of the site and I like what you are doing. So when I do get my article listed here it will be worth it.

Comment provided November 25, 2007 at 8:18 PM