What Is Copywriting?

Haynes writes in and asks:

What is copywriting?

Most dictionaries say that copywriting is the written elements of an advertisement or the process of writing words to influence/sell something.

A common path for most article writers (those who write articles for a living) is to progress from “article writer” to “copywriter” because good copywriters are very well paid — and rightfully so. Even if your article writing path is not destined to be a full time copywriter, everyone who writes articles could benefit from learning basic copywriting skills.

Seems like most direct response copywriters are in two pools of talent, even though they can both crossover into each others sphere: Direct offline marketers and Internet marketers

You may have even heard of some of the names of the best copywriters on the planet (in no particular order): Michel Fortin, Carl Galetti, Jay Abraham, Gary Halbert, Bob Bly, John Carlton, Dan Kennedy, Joe Vitale, Lorrie Morgan-Ferrero, Ali Brown, Ted Nicholas, that one guy from Dak (Drew Kaplan), Clayton Makepeace, Dina Giolitto, and the list goes on. .

The thing I love most about copywriting is that it’s salesmanship in print… the art of helping get people what they want and generating demand for yourself, your business, and your products and services.

Question: Do you have a favorite copywriter whom you admire? If so, who is he or she and why do you admire their style?

Jan Verhoeff writes:

I’ve always admired several of the folks on that list. Dina is awesome, quick thinking, light, and focused. Her style is direct but it doesn’t whap you up side the head! Which I like.

She’s whapped me up side the head a few times, very strong, that woman! hehe

Seriously, I know there are some awesome copywriters out there, and they do great work, but we have some incredible copywriters right here on EzineArticles.com I’m not sure I agree that article writing isn’t copywriting. It’s kind of like a square vs. rectangle issue.

Out there: Lorrie Morgan-Ferrero and Michel Fortin are some of my faves. But I read a lot! Both offer a lot of free information on their blogs and ezines, sopp it up if you can, because they give a lot away!

Comment provided October 6, 2007 at 4:52 PM

Edward Weiss writes:

Jack Graziano of http://www.pagesmith.com wrote the copy for my webpage and I think he did a great job.

Reasonable rates too. Unlike the so called “top” copywriters who charge $5000 minimum to write an online sales letter.

Bob Bly is a one person sales conglomerate and now has at least 50 products he’s selling off his site… written of course by him. He’s someone to emulate for sure.

Comment provided October 6, 2007 at 5:19 PM

Oh, shucks… Chris, you’re something of a copywriter yourself.

Thanks, Jan. I see you as much more creative than I am!

I’m a long-time fan of Bob Bly. I appreciate his direct, no-nonsense approach. Something about his writing really clears my head. In a world where many people are screaming and wagging their finger at you, that’s so important.

Comment provided October 6, 2007 at 8:16 PM

What a timely subject!

Just imagine reading this post from Chris and…

being here in Atlanta at Big Seminar 10 and meeting and listening to John Carlton and Jay Abraham today, and getting to hear Michael Fortin tomorrow.

I’m also reading Hypnotic Writing writing by Joe Vitale.

The more I learn the more I realize that all writing is copywriting.

Comment provided October 6, 2007 at 9:02 PM

KyariKon writes:

A critical question: Is copywriting an “in-born”
or “after-born” ability?

If the latter prevails, how can one hone up on his/her copywriting ability?

From a curious Japanese
in Chiba, Japan

Comment provided October 6, 2007 at 11:31 PM

I think raw talent is ‘innate’ and we’re all naturally talented at something… –> the best copywriters on the planet right now had the raw talent naturally from birth; they discovered their gifts and then they exploited them by proving mastery with action.

That’s not to say you couldn’t become a great copywriter if you became passionate about it, even if you didn’t naturally have the innate gift.

Let me give you an example from my own life: I love the sport of racquetball. I’m not a pro, but I’ve risen to A level play and I’ve earned sponsorship level with TeamHead (the brand of my favorite racquetball gear). I’m not athletically inclined and I’m reminded of it often when I play lower skilled opponents who seem to naturally be able to execute shots on their first try that I’ve spent YEARS honing.

My point: I’ve risen to a high level of racquetball play even against my naturally non-athletic ability by sheer force of passion and years of investment in weight training, racquetball camps, having a trainer/coach, studying the mental aspects of the game, mastering the technical details of rball game strategy, etc.

So, if you want something bad enough, such as copywriting, I believe you can use your passion to attract the level of skill that would make you pass for a person who has natural born abilities even if it’s not true. Hope this makes sense.

-From a guy in Wisconsin

Comment provided October 7, 2007 at 7:53 AM

I don’t like copywriting. This is a talent I really don’t have!
I explain each aspect exactly as it is, without trying to hide the bad parts and the difficulties.

This is why when I say that something is easy I really mean it. Otherwise I show all the impossibilities and the existent possibilities as they are.

Sincerity delays to be recognized, but it lasts forever, while promises that are far from reality tend to be smashed by all the aspects despised by them.

On the other hand, people need to be convinced, because they buy everything based on emotions. You need to show them that something is really good several times. They need to be calmed by promises because they don’t like to think objectively and understand which the benefits of certain product are.

I’m trying to find a perfect combination! Copywriting while saying only the truth, exactly as it is.

Comment provided October 7, 2007 at 12:36 PM

I am glad you mentioned Dina, she is pretty spetacular with the written word.

Comment provided October 7, 2007 at 9:39 PM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

Thanks Dina!

And – for the rest of the crew… I’m taking classes online and in my UNIT 8 Assignments, we were given a reading assignment and when I clicked on the link a familiar website came up on the screen. I went back to my calls page and looked again, sure enough the class resource was an article on EzineArticles.com!!! Whoo hoo!!!

Gives new meaning to the term EXPERT!

(BTW – we’re talking Criminal Justice – University here.)

Jan Verhoeff

Comment provided October 14, 2007 at 2:39 PM

KyariKon writes:

Hi, Mr. Knight. Thanks for all of your response.

So, the ‘innate’ talent is very crucial to developing one’s smart copywriting ability, right?

I take it as such, but at the same time how can I
hone up on my “after-born” talent for good writing?

Like you do, pick up a couple of sporty things, or
maybe more fundamentally kinesiology…?

For now, let me keep up on reading good stuffs like your blog, to say right on course…

Thanks again so much,

KyariKon, a Japanese
in Chiba, Japan

Comment provided October 15, 2007 at 7:52 AM

Angela Booth said:

“Essentially I define copywriting as commercial writing that’s written to GET A RESPONSE.”

Comment provided December 20, 2007 at 9:41 AM