Two Words

One small change to our Editorial Guidelines to share… we’ve ended our acceptance of *one word* article titles. Titles must now be 2 or more words to be accepted.

Reason: In many cases we were fine with it, but lately we received a lot of one word titles that were too ambiguous or unrelated to the content of the article… example: Article titles of a word like “Move” or “More” are too difficult for a reader to figure out what the article is going to be about.

As you may know, our editors read each article to make sure the article body delivers on the promise(s) made in the article title… and it’s just too difficult to know if this is true if the single word is ambiguous.

Hi Chris,

This change help serious writers who are concerned about giving their readers a clue to the content they will deliver, how can we give this clue in one word?!

Comment provided October 3, 2007 at 12:04 PM

Edward Weiss writes:

I don’t know how a one word title could NOT be ambiguous.

I guess a lot of people submitting their articles here don’t really understand that if they want people to actually read them, they had better make the title interesting. One word just won’t cut it.

Comment provided October 3, 2007 at 12:07 PM

Hi Chris!

One word in a title has no chance to stand in Google’s first page. We need at least 2 basic keywords to be in the first page and in the first paragraph, no matter what!

With only one word in the title we are throwing the article to mediocrity and to only a few readers.

Comment provided October 3, 2007 at 12:14 PM

Comment provided October 3, 2007 at 7:37 PM

Today, I was writing an article on;

And, I thought a one word title would be viable and I am now concerned that if I try to put this into a title, I will run out of characters on submission form. So, obviously you can see what dilemma you have created in your new ruling and I am SOOO upset of course…. ;)

Comment provided October 3, 2007 at 7:48 PM

Comment provided October 3, 2007 at 7:52 PM

No, but since “National Trivia Day” coming up this month, it is the longest word in the English Language. Indeed, I was trying to figure out the most ridiculous plausible case for a one word title. So, I thought what if it were a super long word and a relatively easy and simple topic. This made me think of possibilities and that was the only one I could come up with.

I cannot think of another possible reason to complain about this rule, unless one was merely after “Key Words” and had no intention of delivering valuable information to the reader. Without narrowing the subject it does not help anyone with a one-word title.

Although, I do have a title in one of my articles; “I Am” and that is about why using that as an answer can be somewhat misleading in the English Language.

Comment provided October 3, 2007 at 8:03 PM

‚¬“Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconeosis Exams‚¬ would improve your ranking possibilities and your readers perhaps would somehow guess what your article could be about.

Comment provided October 3, 2007 at 8:07 PM

Good idea there Christina, and yet another problem is that there seems to be a disagreement on how it is spelled:

And that too is a problem. – Lance

Comment provided October 3, 2007 at 8:11 PM

Never mind!

Comment provided October 3, 2007 at 8:16 PM

Who cares?

Comment provided October 3, 2007 at 8:18 PM

Get this:

There are 2,367 articles currently in the EzineArticles database that have single word titles.

Many of them are 2-3 words connected with a hyphen and thus ‘one word’ by a technical definition… even though they are more than one word. Example is an article title of: “knock-knock-knock”

Comment provided October 3, 2007 at 8:23 PM

OK, help me out here.

I understand why you would want to have a traditional book, maybe even an ebook, with a one word title.

Catchy, memorable, etc. “Blink” for instance.

What I don’t understand is this – in a world driven by keywords and benefits (the internet) why would you want to have an article with a one word title?

No room for keywords, benefits, etc.

Comment provided October 3, 2007 at 9:49 PM

I am interested in seeing the entire list of one – two word titles and then kind of picking out a few articles. Not for any other reason than to have a good laugh at the whole thing.

Comment provided October 3, 2007 at 11:36 PM

This title has a poetic background, abstraction! provokes curiosity!

Comment provided October 4, 2007 at 7:26 AM

On Heaven’s Door…

Comment provided October 4, 2007 at 12:50 PM

GDI writes:

What is the difference ? :S

Comment provided October 8, 2007 at 1:36 PM

The difference is that when you give one word title, you don’t define anything. The reader cannot understand what exactly you are writing about.

You can define your document only if you give it at least a 2 words title.
This is also indispensable if you want to see your article in a very good position on Google.

Comment provided October 8, 2007 at 1:48 PM