Author Professional Photo Tip

This time of year seems to be a great time to get your author photos updated, perhaps have new ones taken that reflect the better looking current day version of yourself. :-)

Here are two tips that you probably were never advised before to do when having your author photos taken:

1. If you are appealing to a Western / English audience, consider facing slightly to the RIGHT so that the eye scans from left to right of your nose to the back of your head. Never face to the LEFT. Want proof I’m right about this tip? Which side of the interview desk does Jay Leno, David Letterman and Conan O’Brien sit on? It’s ALWAYS on the right side so that the viewer has a left to right visual experience that makes the interviewer look better.
  2. Don’t look directly at the camera lens. Instead, focus your eyes past the lens and imagine yourself looking square on with the media within the camera that is recording your image. For most SLR cameras, that’s about 1/2″ to 1″ inch directly above the camera lens. If you want to stop someone’s breath when they look at your photo and invoke an emotional response –> look directly at them by looking past the camera lens and directly into the media within the camera recording your image. Sounds geeky I know…just try it.

Wow! I never thought about the way you’re facing in the photo as having those kinds of effects. That is so interesting and Im going to give it a try for sure. Thanks for the helpful tips!

Comment provided October 11, 2007 at 12:46 PM

Nicley done, Chris!

Just last week I had the opportunity to have some new photos taken for the websites and other things at Big Seminar by Mary at SeminarPhotography.com and we did these exact tips and more…

Thanks for the confirmation, and for the wide variety of tips your offer on this blog.

Jeff

Comment provided October 11, 2007 at 1:09 PM

Joe Shaw writes:

Chris,

I was just wondering how many inches of chest hair I should show to improve my click thru rate? I’ve heard there’s a point of diminishing returns where my CTR will drop.

Seriously, thanks. I never noticed that about what direction people face on camera. It’s amazing how much I learn just in these blogs.

Thanks,
Joe

Comment provided October 11, 2007 at 1:12 PM

I’ve heard that chest hair on men improves CTR but having a hairy back can dramatically reduce CTR and increase complaints. ;—-)

Comment provided October 11, 2007 at 1:21 PM

Hi Chris!

Thank you for reminding me of that! I just updated my photo!

I guess the new one is somehow according to your directions! only by chance, because I didn’t know what you told us today.

Comment provided October 11, 2007 at 3:57 PM

Make sure they get your good side!

Comment provided October 11, 2007 at 6:38 PM

Without smiling too much, but not so seriously looking at the camera!
With a natural and at the same time professional smile that will reflect your wisdom and your sense of responsibility.

Comment provided October 11, 2007 at 6:51 PM

It is also a great idea to schedule taking your new photos after a spa day or leisure vacation so you look more refreshed. :)

I took my most recent publicity photo just moments after a national tv interview so my energy was high, and my hair and makeup was professionally done.

Thank you for the tips!

Live Your Dreams,

Jill

Comment provided October 11, 2007 at 8:45 PM

Jill,

Rarely do I think a professional photo should show your back to the camera, but this photo of yours captures the emotional essence of your message:

And if you don’t use it for your articles, I’d recommend the continued use for your MySpace/Facebook, etc. profiles. It’s an unforgettable image.

Comment provided October 12, 2007 at 7:56 AM

I agree that this photo says it all! It is worth a 1,000 words indeed.

Comment provided October 22, 2007 at 1:00 AM

Kenneth Hoffman writes:

Chris,
You seemed to have followed the above advice well. You look friendly, professional, interested and casual. I just would crop the picture so that your eyes are more centered (instead of centering the head). Also the clean shaven look may not be ‘in’ but it looks better in the picture.
Ken

Comment provided December 20, 2007 at 9:41 AM

Yes Ken, I agree the clean shaven look is better for the photo… I’ll be getting new professional photos taken in Jan 08.

Comment provided December 20, 2007 at 9:50 AM

Nadine writes:

Thank you so much! Your information will save my “look” for sure. You are very helpful indeed!

Comment provided October 19, 2008 at 4:55 PM