1.79 Million Clicks To Member Websites

Need some motivation today to help you prioritize your article writing and submission time investment?

Last month, EzineArticles delivered 1,791,867 clicks to member websites alone. This is a new record since we began URL Click Tracking in June.

We won’t be releasing which articles received the most CTR (Click Through Rate) to prevent gaming of the system, but I can share that the top article received 12,147 clicks in September and there were at least 100 articles with over 1,100+ clicks per article.

Daniel Hall writes:

Christopher ‚¬€ This is wonderful. Is it possible that you can analyze the articles that have over 1000 clicks for commonalities? I bet we could all learn a bunch. Thanks.

Daniel Hall

Comment provided October 8, 2007 at 10:29 AM

gdi writes:

waw, this is great :)

i will start post some of my articles over here

Comment provided October 8, 2007 at 10:54 AM

We’ve already done that research and plan on making it available to our Article Production Strategies clients first…and then release the info to everyone else in 2008.

No ETA yet as to when we’ll publish our findings.

Comment provided October 8, 2007 at 10:57 AM

n1ce writes:

This may seem like a stupid question, but what clicks are being counted? Clicks thru the URL in the resource boxes of articles? If so, how, and does the tracking introduce a Hop that kills the pagerank passing?

Comment provided October 8, 2007 at 12:04 PM

armando writes:

most of visitors are from search engines or from e-mail subscriptions ?

Comment provided October 8, 2007 at 1:34 PM

N1CE person,

The tracking does not impact pagerank passing, but if you only care about pagerank passing from us, you’ve come to us for the wrong reason. :)

We built the URL Click tracking into our CMS and it does not insert in the HREF code stream, yet tracks all clicks. Sorry, we’re not going to reveal the code we use to do this magic.

The neat thing is that the same technology that we use to track clicks is also being used to help build more analytics data for us to better understand the behavior of our users.

Comment provided October 8, 2007 at 1:39 PM

Armando,100% of the 1.79 million clicks were from EzineArticles visitors, but if you’re asking where OUR visitors came from, the usual sources: Repeat visitors, email alerts (million+ go out per month), RSS feeds, search engines, Web 2.0 sites, existing members who link back to their profile, etc.

Comment provided October 8, 2007 at 1:43 PM

Edward Weiss writes:

Let me guess. The top cllickthrough article has something to do with hair, sex or both.

I’ll bet my EzineArticles mug on it. :)

Comment provided October 8, 2007 at 1:46 PM

Believe it or not, it does not have to do with either hair or sex.

It’s a gaming article.

Comment provided October 8, 2007 at 1:48 PM

Hi Chris!

I’m really glad seeing the amount of clicks one article can generate!

Comment provided October 8, 2007 at 2:41 PM

D writes:

Nice work, that’s a staggering amount, Might have to think about posting some of my articles here!

Comment provided October 8, 2007 at 9:33 PM

JH Fields writes:

Great news and thanks for reminding all of us the importance of articles especially at this time of year.

Comment provided October 9, 2007 at 2:09 AM

Belinda writes:

Hey there,

Many thanks for the newsletter update.

I do realise you need to keep the individual articles quiet but I’d like to find out a couple of things, like what sort of percentage of click throughs to views 10%, 30%, 70%, got these sort of results? I’d also like to learn what is the average click through rate for articles – what’s good, what’s average and what’s low. For example there are 1000 views and 300 click throughs giving a 30% click through rate.

Are these new articles or have they been up for a while? What sort of time have they been published for?

This is so I can start to figure out what are good click through rates to aim for over what sort of time frame.

I’m figuring these articles are featured in the list of most published and most visited articles at the bottom of the pages for categories given the numbers. Is this about right?

I do understand that you’re working on more features for next year but I’m hoping you might have some data (that’s becoming information) about percentages of click throughs averages for articles so I can get a decent idea what to work towards.

Many thanks and kind regards,

Comment provided October 10, 2007 at 4:55 AM

I can tell you that AGE of the article has very little to do with the CTR that articles get. When I look at the top 100 articles that received the most URL CTR, I see a wide mix of recent and old articles…evenly distributed.

Most articles get between .5% and 9% CTR.

Also, we’re tracking each URL’s CTR, but we’re only providing aggregate CTR per article in the stats each member is provided. That may change in the future. Right now, we’re still data collecting to identify patterns.

Comment provided October 10, 2007 at 7:22 AM

Ashok Kumar writes:

Great achievement…………………….

Comment provided October 11, 2007 at 11:20 AM

Belinda writes:

Thanks for that!

I feel heaps better with my CTR.

I want to get to about an average of 30% CTR so that’s probably fairly ambitious but that’s fine.

Smiles and thanks,

Comment provided October 11, 2007 at 6:47 PM

AWESOME achievement! Thanks for always tracking your metrics and bigggg CONGRATZZZZ!

Comment provided October 15, 2007 at 1:46 PM

anson writes:

woh, this is great, i hope ezinearticle can bring me such high click to my website too

Comment provided December 19, 2007 at 1:05 PM