Top 25 Searched Words and Phrases

The three ways that you can search EzineArticles.com: 1) The Google search box on top of every page; 2) the left navigation search box (known as our internal search); and 3) the advanced search in the left navigation.

Just for fun, today I ran a report to show the top 25 phrases and the top 25 searched for words from our internal search engine:

Largely, I think this data is useless. What would be more useful is seeing search terms and phrases done within each category… Example: If someone landed or is viewing one of our Quit Smoking articles, whatever they search for is most likely related to the category of article they just viewed. We’ll work on it. :-)

Ann L. writes:

I agree that knowing what the specific search within the categories would be very helpful. I look forward to you find or creating software to do this.
Thanks for you ingenuity ahead of time.

Comment provided September 1, 2007 at 1:51 PM

Susan Deppner writes:

Actually, I find the information rather interesting and potentially useful as a social barometer of sorts. You think?

Comment provided September 1, 2007 at 2:07 PM

Hi Chris,
As usual you come with interesting and useful info.
This is very helpful in recognizing what the authers(
mostly) think about, because normal folks would search the categories. Right?

Comment provided September 1, 2007 at 2:30 PM

If I could just write an article about a game that would help you quit smoking, and also lead to weight loss, which would give you more money to work from home, study martial arts and pay off your mortgage to improve your credit, I’d have lots of page views.

Comment provided September 1, 2007 at 2:45 PM

Callooh writes:

Though as an experiment, I created some content on quiting smoking. Let’s see how many viewers find it….

Comment provided September 1, 2007 at 3:51 PM

This is a combination of material ambitions and solutions for common daily problems.

Nothing abstract in these lists!

Comment provided September 1, 2007 at 4:36 PM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

Connie,

You might sum up those topics in an article about popular words, and make the article about keyword marketing?

I’ve played with phrases and words and come up with some interesting combinations. Remember when you use words they don’t have to be in the same sentences because the crawler doesn’t necessaryly come to a period and quit. Smoking gun reports extreme weight. Loss of the smoking gun costs money to those who work at home without martial. Arts is a typical topic to study.

(Okay – that was bad – but you get what I mean.)

Jan

Comment provided September 1, 2007 at 4:40 PM

Chris,

I definitely like your line of curiosity. And, agree that more research on the specifics within a search would be more useful.

Thanks for sharing your search maze with us.

Virginia

Comment provided September 1, 2007 at 8:14 PM

Interesting list, only a few really surprised me, but it makes sense as something that is in the news will generate search queries and you just never know when some event will take place changing the most searched words. I agree with the author above in dissecting this information for use as a social barometer, that makes a lot of sense indeed.

Comment provided September 2, 2007 at 1:19 AM

Audrey writes:

Here’s what I found interesting. I’ve written a dozen work at home articles. I visited my stats page after reading this blog post. I have almost zero click throughs from my articles on working at home. So…folks might be looking for the phrase “working at home” but what are they really looking for?

Comment provided September 2, 2007 at 9:06 AM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

The words that are searched aren’t what the people are clicking through. The resource box is what makes people click on the website. The information just simply brings them to the resource box.

Through all the articles I’ve written, I can look back over them and tell you why the reader clicked through. If my information is weak with a strong resource box, they never got to the resource box. If the information is strong and the resource box is weak, they didn’t click on my links. The information has to be solid and the resource box has to be good or they don’t click through.

Bottom line – QUALITY counts.

If you’re writing for Quantity with no reguard to Quality, you’re wasting your time. You’ve got to give the reader what they want and do it consistently. It really comes down to knowing your niche and writing for THOSE readers.

Jan

Comment provided September 2, 2007 at 5:24 PM

Audrey writes:

Jan,

While I appreciate your input, I don’t believe for a second the lack of click throughs on the few work at home articles I’ve written was due to low quality. I’ve had some of those articles picked up way too many times by publishers to belive they lack quality.

I simply stated what I found to be a very interesting fact.

Comment provided September 3, 2007 at 3:56 PM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

Audrey,

My comments were simply comments on my own personal findings and not in any way an indication of what YOUR articles are doing. I’m sorry if you thought I was talking about your work, that was certainly NOT the case.

I’ve written work at home articles that get clicks and some that don’t. My findings are the more content and the better the resource box, the more clicks I get. While keyword density brings them higher on google, the fact is, keyword density has little to do with the click throughs I get.

Jan

Comment provided September 3, 2007 at 4:28 PM

Jim Westin writes:

I found the list of most searched for phrases very interesting. I might have to think about writing few articles on some those topics. Thanks, Jim Westin

Comment provided September 3, 2007 at 10:40 PM

Mihai Petrescu writes:

folks might be looking for the phrase ‚¬“working at home‚¬ but what are they really looking for?

Comment provided September 21, 2007 at 7:28 AM

minimartjobs writes:

Hi

Good article. The phrases have helped me define my keywords better.

Thanks