How To Report A BlogSpot Content Thief

If you find your content mis-appropriated by a Google Blogger or Google BlogSpot splogger (spam blogger), the traditional way is to FLAG the blog as suspect. Look for the “Flag Blog” option in the upper left corner usually.

Unfortunately, many sploggers hide the flag option with devious code…so you can’t report it as suspect. How frustrating, eh?

Here’s the solution: Help Google’s Blogger and BlogSpot Service To Run Spam-Free

This is brilliant on so many levels. One, people here who have been swiped can use the link. Two, people who Google “report a blogspot content thief” or similar will find it. Well, that’s only two levels. But it’s still brilliant nonetheless…

Comment provided September 7, 2007 at 11:14 AM

Hope Wilbanks writes:

Thanks for the tip, Chris. This seems to be becoming a terrible plight for quite a few writers I know (including myself).

Comment provided September 7, 2007 at 12:26 PM

Clyde Boom writes:

With Google Alerts (free) at

you can automatically get notified when a keyphrase occurs in any new content anywhere on the Internet. Very Cool.

You just put in the keyphrase and your email address and you automatically get an email every day (if there is something) that includes a url and a short excerpt of the text that contains your keyphrase.

All my articles include “Linux Training” in the title and so I created and alert (really easy to do) and look at them whenever they arrive.

I wasn’t very happy when I started seeing my articles appearing in blogs without any credit being given (no name, no bio, no links – nothing – just the article text that I created!

Now I have a way to point out the rats – thanks !

Comment provided September 7, 2007 at 2:13 PM

Hi Chris,
Wonderful post! I needed this information badly.

Comment provided September 7, 2007 at 3:22 PM

Thank you as this is a REAL problem indeed.

Comment provided September 7, 2007 at 4:07 PM

Neill Neill writes:

Will this work for going after people who steal my bandwidth by using the photos I have on my web pages?
If not, is there another way?
Neill

Comment provided September 7, 2007 at 7:57 PM

Neill,

No, it won’t solve that problem but we’ve solved it for our site… which means, you can too.

In some of our tests, we were able to either deny the photo from showing or to replace it with an image of our choosing.

I recommend that you consult your webmaster or your web-host to help you with this …or go read the Webmasterworld or Digital Point forums for the solution.

Comment provided September 7, 2007 at 8:10 PM

One can perhaps avoid being copied by being always extremely original, in a characteristic way.

Comment provided September 7, 2007 at 8:14 PM

Neill Neill writes:

Thanks Christopher
I’ll follow up with my web guy.

Neill

Comment provided September 7, 2007 at 10:21 PM

Vern writes:

Hi Chris,

It was really good news and
how Casey answered my
email regarding my previous
is brilliant.

It was my personal
dilemma about the ‘content thief’
(so called blogger) that was
– putting my articles into
some meat grinder.

I have reported the rat.
It was so tempting to put his
link here for all to unite and report
the rat … but well. I let it go.

“What goes around comes around, right?”

I saw several other of our
buddy writers content on
EzineArticles got swiped
for the sole purpose of….

“generating adsense revenue”
for mortgage loan refinancing and stuff.

How disgusting right?

Perhaps I should combat
this by writing an article
about it anyway. LOL!

All kudos to you and
your teams undying support
to us writers of the world.

P.S. I also added a ‘terms of use’
in my author bio box to see
how it works out.
Perhaps if you are a writer
you’d want to consider this too!

Lots of Blessings,

Vern

Comment provided September 8, 2007 at 12:03 AM

Excellent tip, it will make blogger a cleaner, safer place!

Comment provided September 9, 2007 at 5:43 PM

Helen Palmer writes:

Thank you for this information. The more people know how to deal with these “thieves” the better!

I’ve had to deal with one today and it is quite a shock to see your work butchered.

Kind regards
Helen

Comment provided September 11, 2007 at 9:10 AM

My first article about writing serious documents has an excellent ranking and was immediately copied by a smart blogger!

This was an article I wrote only to help people because I know how to write well. It was not so different from the common ones like my articles about depression, craziness, etc. That’s why the thief could easily change some words!

Fortunately I knew what to do thanks to the precious information you give us here!
Thank you, Chris!

Comment provided September 13, 2007 at 9:08 PM

You know I am a forgive and forget type of guy, but what we really need for such scoundrels is an Online Zapping Machine? I think the online think tank and a few article authors here ought to help me design one to zap the heck out of these content theives? What say you? – Lance

Comment provided September 14, 2007 at 3:52 AM

Jessie writes:

Just read this interesting tip.

I have a case where my very own article was submitted and got published in another article directory by a someone. I am not sure if the directory cares or not as my email to them went unanswered. Any suggestions how to handle this content thief. The worse is I have also submitted the same article and currently appears in EzineArticles.com. Another party now got hold of the same article and published it in myspace.com and credited the article to that ‘thief’.

Any suggestions is most appreciated.

Comment provided October 14, 2007 at 6:35 AM

Jessie,

You have a lot to do!
Go to http://lorelle.wordpress.com/2006/10/12/applaud-those-who-warn-you-your-blogs-content-is-being-stolen/ and there you’ll see everything you have to do!

Someone did the same with an article I wrote about Writing Serious Documents and I even left in the thief’s blog two comments condemning him for stealing my article (which appears under his copy full of grammar mistakes!) and my comments are there! Nobody cares!

My article, published on EzineArticles.com should be in the first paragraph of Google’s first page, but it is not, because the thief’s horrible copy of my wonderful work is the first one! And only after the thief’s, my original article appears!! I have a reviser for my mistakes; however the thief had to change many things in order to copy my article without being considered duplicated content!

I sent 5 messages to Blogger! Nothing changed.
Visit the site I mentioned from the beginning and there you’ll find information about all the trouble you’ll have!

Good luck!