3 Things- Affiliate Links, DeBrule Do, Cote d’Ivoire

Thanks to GoogleAlerts we’re able to attempt to keep up on the chatter in the marketplace about various things… and I came across a blog entry today by Matthew James of the UK: Are You a Workhorse or a Bum? Part 2 — Essentially, he said, “This is because EzineArticles particularly doesn’t like straight affiliate links.”

No, that’s not true. We reject articles with affiliate links for two primary reasons:

1. Because our users/readership base is better served by real experts rather than people pitching the experts.
  2. Over 90% of affiliates submit non-exclusive rights content and we don’t accept non-exclusive rights content… meaning, every article submitted should only be able to be found elsewhere under the same name as the one submitted with the article.

Other things I found this weekend:

I love seeing this: http://www.radsgroup.com/about_us.html

To build further credibility for their expertise, RADSGroup experts Roy DeBrule and Althea DeBrule linked to their EzineArticles from their companies about us page. Nice.

Looks like a member from the West African country of Cote d’Ivoire found a way to spam (the typical Nigerian spam) ~50 of our members via the EzineArticles Inbox system over the weekend.

Thanks to her, we created a game plan this morning to address how we’re going to not allow members who don’t have articles submitted or accepted to use the EzineArticles Inbox system; create a new limit for newbie members with no history from sending bulk emails via our system; and improved linkage between the “THIS IS SPAM” reporting button and our member support team response.

Check out this blog entry: What a Relief! Reinstated with Ezine Articles

Key phrase from this persons blog entry: “…you should not submit PLR articles to EzineArticles!”

Right. :-) It is a small planet indeed.

And one last one that the GoogleAlerts dug up from a year ago that I never saw before: EzineArticles and I
(UPDATED NOTE: This link doesn’t appear to work every time. Try this one instead.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for keeping in mind the readership of the EzineArticles.

One of my articles is picked up by North Dakota State University Library;

Thanks for you and your team.

Rajkumar

Comment provided September 17, 2007 at 10:20 AM

Jennifer Thieme writes:

Yea, I was one of the people who got spammed. Thanks for taking care of the issue. I had a feeling you would. :-)

Comment provided September 17, 2007 at 12:43 PM

All my articles are linked to the Ezine and my site is made of articles.
This gives me a good ranking on Google and Yahoo, besides the good content.
I have a platinum member banner there and an expert author banner.

Many people ask me about my articles, how long it takes for me to write them, if I believe article writing is good, etc.

I always encourage everyone to write as much as they can and submit their articles to EzineArticles.com!

Comment provided September 17, 2007 at 1:39 PM

Edward Weiss writes:

What I’ve never understood about spamming is why they don’t get caught.

Even with independent servers, doesn’t email leave some kind of trace?

I guess it’s harder to stop then I thought.

Comment provided September 18, 2007 at 1:10 AM

Dina writes:

My French may be rusty but Cote d’Ivoire means Ivory Coast. Non?

Comment provided September 18, 2007 at 11:37 AM

Hi Dina,

For your information:

Rajkumar

Comment provided September 18, 2007 at 11:42 AM

Vern writes:

Whoa!

Spamming EzineArticles
members, what an absolute
shame.

Anyway, it’s great to know
you’re putting in new developments
to “weed off” these pesky
stuffs, Chris ;)

By the way, if you are a
writer (a regular one at that!),
please help us fight blog
spammers by reporting in
anyone caught publishing
EzineArticles content without
following the proper “Publisher Guidelines”.

There was a URL that you can report
about Blogger somewhere – you can
check for the history.

Cheers,
Vern

Comment provided September 20, 2007 at 1:49 AM

Emma Martin writes:

The only problem I have with reporting blogspot users who steal my EzineArticles content without attribution is that Google automatically sends all notices to the Chilling Effects website for publication.

Ironically — or maybe not — this has a chilling effect on my desire to follow-up. This really bugs me. I should be able to conduct communication between Google and myself over content that I OWN without having a third party involved involuntarily.

Comment provided September 21, 2007 at 4:21 AM

Just for clarity, I believe they only do that if you submit a DMCA take down notice.

Comment provided September 21, 2007 at 7:32 AM

Emma writes:

Thanks for responding, Christopher. My understanding is that they will only act upon receipt of a DMCA takedown notice. is that wrong or will they remove unattributed EzineArticles without one?

Comment provided September 21, 2007 at 12:08 PM

Emma,

I don’t know what they will or won’t do, but I do know they do act on DMCA notices.

I’m currently testing some splogger reports I did several weeks ago and plan on releasing my study in late October.

Comment provided September 21, 2007 at 12:38 PM

Robin Piggott writes:

Some interesting thoughts and comments on Spammers and Content Stealers from Emma Martin and Vern. I guess there will always be people who will want to take the short cut by ripping off content from Writers on the Web.

It must be much easier to get away with this now that it is so simple to set up a blog or web site with other people’s content. I am coming across more and more sites that republish my content which have been gleaned from EzineArticles.com but that do not provide any recognition either for the Author or the site they have stolen from.
On a positive note just last week I came across a site via my web site stats that is comprised almost entirely of my articles and Does include the link to my site but not to EzineArticles. It’s just possible that this site’s content was copied from my own web site so that’s another issue.
Perhaps this is worth investigating in detail and hey that’s a whole new topic for a bunch of articles wouldn’t you say?

Comment provided September 23, 2007 at 4:06 PM

Robert Worstell writes:

The thing to keep straight about affiliate links is timing their presentation.

No, they don’t belong in your articles. These articles are to create your own credibility on that subject. That credibility is what brings you click-throughs to your links.

Once they click, you can invite them to your list and _then_ offer them your affliliate links all you want.

Your article, in this case, should give them an introduction to you and your list – where you can increase their trust in your new relationship.

While some work at Bum Marketing without a list – and this can be done through articles alone – you’ll get more income (while mileage may vary) by getting them onto your list first. This then allows you to offer them all the affiliate links you want – while an article only (theoretically) offers one or a few.

Comment provided October 7, 2007 at 7:27 PM

Emma,

I just completed my study:

Comment provided December 18, 2007 at 1:39 PM