Resource Box Training – What To Exclude

In my article Article Marketing 101: The Perfect Author Resource Box – I covered essentially what to *INCLUDE* in your ideal RESOURCE BOX.

For newbies: Your resource box is located directly below your article body – Your article body is the GIVE; Your resource box is your TAKE (where you can pitch yourself, your business, your website and why your reader should do business with you).

Today, you’ll discover some of the items that *should never make it into your resource box* and why:

• Your email address – Do you really want to be spammed to death?
  • Your phone number – Article syndication / marketing is timeless whereas your phone number may change from decade to decade.
  • Your life’s story – No one cares.
  • Your achievements, awards, medals, victories, successes, etc. – It may be ok to include a little about this, but focus on being BENEFIT-ORIENTED in your resource box copywriting. What’s in it for your reader to want to know more about you and your website?
  • Every website you own – Most likely will dilute your credibility.
  • Website links to sites you own that have nothing to do with the topic of your article – Instead, stay narrow in focus to help the reader know you are focused on your niche only.
  • Affiliate links – Save this for other websites that accept that sort of thing. Sorry, EzineArticles does not.
  • Links to your EzineArticles expert author URL – Don’t include this because we already append it automatically. You’d be amazed how many times our editors remove this manually.
  • Extremely personal data such as your sex, marital status, physical stats, etc. – Does it really help you advance your credibility?
  • Personal friend recommendations such as *see Chuck for this or that service or product as I endorse him* – Just bad form for this type of marketing.
  • Repetitive anchored text links of the same keywords or key phrases – This is viewed as SEO abusive or keyword abuse.
  • Extra Images – Your author photo will already be included in your resource box if you have it uploaded; otherwise, you’re welcome to upload your professional photo gallery on EzineArticles for other images you want to upload. Sorry, we don’t have plans to allow images to be included in articles this year.

The theme you should be noticing here: Purpose of the resource box is to build your credibility by staying narrow in your niche focus and being benefit oriented: ie: What’s in it for the reader if they click on your link(s) to learn more about what you can do for them?

Edward Weiss writes:

Excellent post Chris. Very useful information here. Thanks! :)

Comment provided August 14, 2007 at 1:39 PM

Chris, this was a great ariticle to educates us re: some things we may not have known and to remind us of things we may have let slipped. You are providing helpful and effective services. Thanks! –Philip Dale Smith

Comment provided August 14, 2007 at 1:47 PM

Chinmay Chakravarty writes:

Yeah, we have to be extremely resourceful to write our own resource boxes in a way that will benefit the readers.

Chris, can you please give a classic example of an ideal resource box? It can be imaginary.

Comment provided August 14, 2007 at 2:21 PM

Your work is super! Thank you Chris, for being so helpful!

Now I learned how to make my resource box. Only now that I finally learned it from my mistakes in the process of trial and error I finally read your old article about this matter! Wish I had read it from the beginning! But I was always on a hurry!

This is a moral lesson for the next generations: we shall always read indications about how to do anything, before making several mistakes because we didn’t read anything about it.

Chinmay, do you want to see my new resource box? I think it’s like Chris showed us it must be:

Prevent Depression and Craziness through the scientific method of Dream Interpretation discovered by Carl Jung and simplified by Christina Sponias, a writer who continued Jung’s research in the unknown region of the human psychic sphere. Learn more at:

Prevent Depression and Craziness and Dream Interpretation are the anchored texts.

What do you think, Chris?
Your opinion is very important!

Comment provided August 14, 2007 at 3:57 PM

My provider didn’t prepare the resource box with the anchored words yet because she delays more than too much for everything.

Besides the irrelevant detail I mentioned, she is very polite and she’s always grateful for my patience with her. Very nice person!

Comment provided August 14, 2007 at 4:13 PM

Ideal resource box should restate your author name and then jump right into what you can do for the reader followed by an http:// full URL.

In your case, I noticed you don’t have any URL’s in your resource box; so perhaps this advice doesn’t serve your specific case as it would others.

It all depends on what end outcome you want the reader to do after they read your article.

Comment provided August 14, 2007 at 4:15 PM

On Thursday August 16th, I’ll offer free resource box critiques to the first 10 authors who request it via the blog entry.

Watch for the blog entry the morning of the 16th (we’re in Central USA Standard Time).

Comment provided August 14, 2007 at 4:20 PM

Thank you Chris! I’ll be the first one in the list!

Comment provided August 14, 2007 at 5:03 PM

Edward Weiss writes:

Resource box critiques huh. I think I see a side business here.

Maybe a copywriting sub-sub genre. :)

Comment provided August 14, 2007 at 9:25 PM

Chinmay Chakravarty writes:

Dear Chris

Thanks a lot. I made little changes in my resource box staying within the limitations of working for the Government where I cannot offer commercial services. Please take a look at your leisure and offer a critique.

Dear Christina

I saw yours. You are fully specialized in this particular field. Too ruthlessly to the point.

Comment provided August 15, 2007 at 3:34 AM

Thank you Chinmay!

I have to add my Free report “Craziness and Logic” to my resource box, as Chris advices us to do.
Some details are very important! They open another door!

Comment provided August 15, 2007 at 8:33 AM

Great post. I can’t believe the amount of people who don’t know the value of a well-written resource box and those who just abuse the privilege!

On that note, I’ll stand in line for a critique tomorrow – hey, even the best have room to improve ;)

Comment provided August 15, 2007 at 12:41 PM

Ann L. writes:

Thank you for the guidelines. I wrote one earlier today and I’m glad I didn’t foul up.

Comment provided August 15, 2007 at 11:33 PM

Bill Thorn writes:

Thanks Christopher,

I am working on some articles right now and this
helps a lot.