Resource Box Rule Number One

Article Writing & Marketing School Is In Session:

If you are proud of the article you just wrote, then put your NAME as the first item in your Resource Box.

Failing to put your name in your Resource Box tells us and your reader that you are ashamed of your content or perhaps you didn’t really write it in the first place.

The first sentence of your Resource Box must be your name, your title (optional), followed by your benefit-driven unique selling proposition (answering the question, what’s in it for the reader to know more about you or want what you have to offer beyond the article of yours they just read?).

Darlene Siddons writes:

this is a great tip….not all article programs have a resource box, so i always have to remember to add my own at the end of the article….thanks for the reminder/info…..

Comment provided August 31, 2007 at 9:09 AM

Joe Shaw writes:

I have read every single article you’ve written at ezninearticles and even made notes in a journal that I created to improve my article writing.

2 days ago I bought your Article Production Strategies Seminar and learned even more things that I was missing.

I just wanted to say thank you for the hands on tips in this blog and in the Seminar. I was making all the classic mistakes you point out when I started.

I’m now writing a lot more articles, faster, and with better quality thanks to these tips. The number of page views on my latest articles has dramatically increased, and I know my resource boxes are much more effective because my click thru rates have gone up from a dismal 1% to 5, 10 or even 15% on some articles.

I just wanted to personally recommend that everyone who is serious about article marketing read your blog, your posts, and buy your Article Production Strategies Seminar.

Thanks for the tips, keep em comming.
Joe Shaw
The Family Business Guy

Comment provided August 31, 2007 at 10:37 AM

Susan Scharfman writes:

I cannot tell you how many times I have tried to shorten and improve my resource box. I am not good at blowing my horn and I welcome good advice. This is not only good advice, it should be obvious to all of us. Though it is our good name we are promoting, alas, we are not all good sales people. Thank you again Chris.

Comment provided August 31, 2007 at 10:54 AM

Edward Weiss writes:

Great tips as always. I think readers almost expect the author’s name to be the first thing they see when scanning a resource box.

I would also bold out the name as well. I do this and I think it really helps separate the box from the article content.

Comment provided August 31, 2007 at 12:14 PM

Alyssa Johnson writes:

Most of the time I feel like I gain a wealth of info from this blog. Today, however, I’m going to have to disagree with you.

While I think putting my name is important, I do NOT agree with putting it in the first sentence of the resource box.

The resource box is my opportunity to try to interest the reader in looking further, not the place to toot my own horn.

If I haven’t proven by my article that I know what I’m talking about, odds are they won’t even read far enough to get to the resource box.

My suggestion for the first line is one taught to me by Jeff Herring: Have your article “flow” right into the resource box. You want your readers to read it. You DON’T want them to think, “ok, end of article, time to move on”.

I typically END my resource box with something like “All of this was brought to you by Alyssa Johnson”

That’s my two cents worth! Best of luck everyone with your article marketing!

Comment provided August 31, 2007 at 2:16 PM

Suzanne Holman writes:

Hi Chris,
I have to agree with Alyssa….. After working with Jeff Herring, I’ve developed meaningful resource boxes relevant to each article, with a call to action first, followed by a short reference to me.
I feel as though they’ve already seen my name under the title and are more interested in benefits to them than “all about me” stuff!
Suzanne in Phoenix

Comment provided August 31, 2007 at 2:22 PM

There are many possible variations. I write my name in the middle of the resource box, after explaining to my readers what I can do for them. My resource box is a combination of what Chris and Jeff said.

The important in the resource box is to tell the readers what we can do for them, besides writing our name. We shall write in the third person (not in the first) and we shall be very economic, using only a few words to describe our work. This is part of Suzanne Lieurance’s guidance. (She is responsible for the Summer Challenge, according to which we have to write 30 articles until September the 30th, starting from August the 1st).

I’m glad to be part of her group.
I believe though Chris Knight is the best adviser, in general aspects.

Comment provided August 31, 2007 at 4:25 PM

joe Shaw writes:

I understand what the last few posts were about, and why you may think that way. Your thinking about the reader saying ‘what’s in it for me’. And if I understand you correctly, you’re saying that telling them our name isn’t really a bennifit. I get that. My opinion is a little different.

Yes, your resource box should be bennifits driven. But part of the bennifit for the reader is that they are getting advice from you the expert.

Telling the reader our name is not is not so we can brag, we’re telling them because our branding ADDS VALUE to our invitation for the reader. So what I’m saying is that telling them our name and our title increases the perceived benefit of our offer. And that IS about the reader. You have a website, You’re a published author, and they’re reading your article.

If I may add just one more thing, 10% of the readers of my articles click on my bio. That tells me that a lot of people really want to know more about me. Who am I to argue with that.

You all are great. Thanks for the intelligent discussion.

Joe Shaw
The Family Business Guy

Comment provided August 31, 2007 at 5:12 PM

One interesting thing that makes this point so timely to me is that I am noticing so many people not capitalizing “i” in their emails, as if they are afraid to look conceited. When I ask them about this they say that they do not have an ego problem and yet, in my professional opinion there is nothing wrong with ego as long as it is earned.

There is nothing wrong with standing up for your words or writing. I met a fellow EzineArticle online author today and they admitted that they were proud of their articles. And they are quite good and they should be proud and stand by their advice. I think that one should proudly display their name and show a sense of confidence. – Lance

Comment provided August 31, 2007 at 6:58 PM

Vern writes:

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the tip. If anyone can help me in this manner it would be great as well.

lately, there has been some form of plagiarism on some of my articles. Probably you’d say that “hey, vern… bad publicity is publicity nonetheless!”. But the problem is there are people out there copying my articles and putting my sig box and then… changing certain texts (that makes my english look awful).

Moreover, the signature box just does not contain my URL. Just my name thats it. So clearly the “publisher” wants to only generate revenue on his AdSense CTRs.

Do you suggest that I add this in my signature box?

“I grant permission to you (as a publisher) to use my article for syndication or distribution as long as none of the text or content and signature links is not changed in anyway.”

Thanks for some advice,

Comment provided September 1, 2007 at 1:26 AM

joe Shaw writes:

Vern – I’ve been seeing the same thing.

I’ve seen my articles posted on websites after the webmaster ran my article through some kind of word meatgrinder that made my article really poor.

I’ve also seen them not post my resource box, which makes me angry.

There’s probably a plagarism forum here somewhere or a blog thread that has this already. Could someone point it out if so?

At this point, my only hope is that google figures out how to identify people doing that and then ban them for their black hat tricks.

Joe Shaw
The Family Business Guy

Comment provided September 1, 2007 at 8:45 AM

You can add any type of reprint rights statement in your resource box as long as it doesn’t conflict with our posted author TOS.

We have yet to see any content thief rise to traffic power…so while they are annoying, Google and other forces are ensuring that they never rise to significance.

Comment provided September 1, 2007 at 12:11 PM

Ann L. writes:

You have the habit of stating the obvious and generating a lot of discussion, nonetheless.

Vern-Copyright is granted with or without a statement forbidding change. The article directory itself says don’t change anything. If someone is hell-bent on changing your article, they will.

As far as Google, hopefully the real author won’t end up punished for duplication or other such stuff, after all, it’s only a robot.

Comment provided September 1, 2007 at 1:38 PM

Vern writes:

Hi Chris and My Article Writer Buddies,

Thanks so much for your encouragement and your advice. It really brings light to my understanding. I have recently added an additional reprint rights statement to all my latest resource boxes.

There isn’t much I will do to my other previously released articles so it will have to stand the test of time.

As a conclusion, the only resentment I have is that it makes my command of english look bad but thats about it.

Probably these “adsense spammers” do not have good copy paste technical know-how as well – so obviously they got a blackhat SEO e-book and just went out and do it.

I forgave them (in my heart) , we have to move on. Thanks again for the sharing guys.

Your Article Buddy,

Comment provided September 3, 2007 at 1:33 AM

Chris Ralph writes:

I’ll have to side with those who disagree. I write an article as an information sales pitch. Its obvious what should follow the pitch:

a. If you want more info on topic X – see my website at (URL)

b. Hi, I’m Chris Ralph, and I have experience (A), education (B), I represent (C) and I am a good guy, etc.

No question that the pitch needs to be followed by the call to action – choice a. The reader cares some about who I am but is far more interested in the topic than who I am. I may be proud of my articles, but I am more interested in making the sale.

Comment provided September 3, 2007 at 2:42 AM

Lynne Lee writes:

Simply flowing into the resource box with a call to action and then telling the reader my name and a little about me has been working fine. Some articles have a 27% click through rate.
I think you have to give people a reason to carry on reading and click through before telling them about you.

Lynne Lee

Comment provided September 3, 2007 at 10:41 AM

tolga savas writes:

dear Chris thank you for enlightening me, I am only 4 months old as far as internet web design is concerned, I recently learned the benefits of article writing, although at the moment it takes me a long time to write one, I am seeing the benefits already, it is driving me forward with passion. I would like to take this opportunity to thank for your email and teaching me the tricks of the trade, I really appreciated, kind regards and best wishes Tolga Savas

Comment provided May 20, 2008 at 6:33 PM