EzineArticles Demographics and Psychographics

Dear Marketplace:

Help recommend which demographic (common characteristics of a population segmentation, such as age, sex, gender, income, education, family size, geography, marital status, social class, etc.) and psychographics (attitudes and personality characteristics, lifestyle, values and sociological characteristics) tools we should consider using to identify the profile of an average visitor to EzineArticles.com?

End goal is to better understand who our visitors are and what they have in common and why they visit. This information will help us determine which features & tools to introduce and we’ll be able to provide better anonymous data to our advertisers who help keep our service free to members.

A few 3rd parties have tried to remotely guess our profile visitor: Quantcast’s EzineArticles profile, Alexa’s EzineArticles profile, anyone else we should look at?

Jan Verhoeff writes:

WOW!

I visited the links, thinking I’d be interested in the results and found Ezine University. Great Info Chris!!!

In case anyone else has been living in lalaland with me and didn’t know about ezineuniversity.com – I’d suggest you go visit. AWESOME information.

How did I miss this?

Jan

Comment provided August 29, 2007 at 9:03 AM

Really?

That site hasn’t been updated in 5 years and I’m considering destroying it to rebuild it from scratch… ala EzineArticles was destroyed in 2004 in order to rebirth into what it is today.

Much of that old site is defunct and out dated…sorry.

Comment provided August 29, 2007 at 9:17 AM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

I noticed some out of date info, but I picked through that and found some pretty nifty information about ezine publication. Stuff I’ve known and used, but needed to update my info, get some new ideas.

Sometimes even old stuff can be freshened up and reused with a little ingenuity.

I hope you to rebirth that site, it’s a goldmine of info.

Jan

Comment provided August 29, 2007 at 10:33 AM

Interesting information. Thank you Chris!

Comment provided August 29, 2007 at 2:15 PM

I have done a massive amount of research of the types of visitors who read my articles. I have found them and categorized them as “HUMANS” and I have thus decided to make these “humans” my target market.

Comment provided August 29, 2007 at 4:28 PM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

Lance,

I’ve heard Humans mention your name, I thought perhaps they’d found your wash bays somewhere and used them for some unidentifiable purpose – but then I realized they’d been reading your work.

I suppose you could do a study to determine if it’s an intelligent life form or not?

Jan

Comment provided August 29, 2007 at 5:12 PM

Yes Lance, you shall not write your articles only for humans.
Why such prejudice?

Comment provided August 29, 2007 at 6:05 PM

I think the prejudice is because they all come to EzineArticles to learn things and because the other species do not seem to be interested much, perhaps they know more than the humans? To be politically correct, maybe I should enlarge my target market and not only include just the 6.6 Billion humans on the planet but some of the other species too?

Comment provided August 30, 2007 at 1:12 AM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

Personally, I think you’ve overloaded your niche. Perhaps you should narrow it down to humans with only one heart or only those with a right shoulder blade?

What is this politically correct stuff? I just massively destroyed my politically correct image in a writer’s group by standing up for something I believe in. (The other writer called me a name, I didn’t stoop that low – I’m proud of myself!)

You know – you could include all those humans with two left feet and you’d have enlarged your niche by at least double!

Jan

Comment provided August 30, 2007 at 4:33 AM

Robin Brown writes:

I haven’t logged in to my new Beta MSN Ad Center account, but one time while playing with ppc, I found their demographics tool verrrrry interesting.

I’m sure you have information on what keywords most people are using to end up on the site. Try looking at the MSN demographics data (if it’s still available) on those keywords. I’m not sure where they get the info, but it’s a different perspective.

You could also poll.

Comment provided August 30, 2007 at 5:26 AM

Lance, I don’t know if Jan’s advice is really good for you, but you don’t need to go too far to find inhuman creatures.
There are plenty of them in our own planet.
That’s why I told you that you shall not write only for humans. This is racism!

Inhuman creatures need your words too.

Comment provided August 30, 2007 at 12:10 PM

Let’s stop this crazy talk about writing for non-humans.

Comment provided August 30, 2007 at 12:30 PM

This was an irony.

Comment provided August 30, 2007 at 1:48 PM

Dan Snyder writes:

Chris,

You’re getting more Monthly Unique Visitors than Match.com. And I bet your advertising budget is a little smaller.

And you’re also beating
washingtonpost.com
fox.com
business.com
howstuffworks.com
lendingtree.com
movietickets.com
irs.gov
in Monthly Unique Visitors.

And more amazing is that from February to July you doubled (100% Improvement) Daily Unique Visitors!

Congratulations!

I do not think that you toot your horn enough…honestly.

Comment provided August 30, 2007 at 3:02 PM

Ann L. writes:

since you actually asked what demographics to collect on readers-
You could collect any of this but I’d rather have an option to fill out any type of survey like many sites have. If I’m in a good mood I fill in everything, if not I want to option to just leave something blank.

Comment provided August 30, 2007 at 7:10 PM