Ezine Marketing vs Article Marketing via Ezine Articles

Newbies are confused and I wanted to clear the air on something:

What our members do when they submit articles to EzineArticles.com has nothing to do with “Ezine Marketing.” We are not the ‘Ezine” nor is “Ezine” just a noun that we plucked out of the air as some believe. :-) Really.

Ezine = Email Newsletter

Ezine Publisher = Someone who publishes an email newsletter

Ezine Marketing = Creating, promoting, managing, & publishing an email newsletter.

Article Marketing = Creating quality original articles 400-1500 words that you make available for syndication by others, preferably by others who have niche websites or ezines that are related to your core area of expertise, with the hopes to attract traffic back to your website and generate demand for yourself/your business.

Ezine Articles = A matching service between expert authors looking to share their expertise in exchange for traffic back to their website thanks to ezine publishers who reprint their content without any changes – sent to their email list membership and/or added to their website.

The Point: You can argue all you’d like that “Ezine Articles” or “Article Marketing” is the same as “Ezine Marketing” but having been in the email newsletter industry (former CEO/Founder of SparkLIST) for a decade+ I can tell you that article marketing and ezine marketing have nothing in common with each other.

If I have one regret, perhaps it was that we shouldn’t have named the site with a descriptor and instead should have chosen a brand never used before to create a new association for what it means. In the meantime, we’re not going to change the name and will continue to innovate/be creative to evolve and define what quality means…for all of the Ezine Articles stakeholders.

Additional Reading:

Chris, what I find is that the word ‘ezine’ is slowly seeping into internet reading culture and I am less having to clarify what ezine is, though earlier on I debated about just calling my on-line publications ‘e-newsletters’ .
I explained the word ezine this way: ‘the e is like the ‘E’ in ’email’ [ meaning electronic] and the rest as in ‘magaZINE’ … then you get “Oh, I get it!”

…and may I say I like the name ‘EzineArticles’..what I hear is “…articles from [my ezine] OR for [your ezine]

Comment provided August 10, 2007 at 9:49 AM

Ah! interesting… ya see it depends where you did yur lurnin. in Canada where I was educated, they also called it Eeeee-conomics… but instead of hard /soft, it was long [as in eeeeeeee] and short. Moral of story for me: you just can’t presume anything. And back to the point, from what I see is the big guy internet marketers call it ‘ezine’ and readers will catch up just like with other new concepts..

Comment provided August 10, 2007 at 10:14 AM

Vern writes:

How catchy Chris!

I also feel the beginnings of an
E-volution in today’s business world.

E-mail, E-commerce, E-business,

Alright before I go nuts over
what is and is not. Here’s my take about
the movement of the business world.

Even offline retailers like movie
vendors actually going online.

Like my local cinema offers
online payments without
approaching the counter and
my seats are booked right before
I finish work!

Hurrah for the advancement in technology.

It sure helps heaps!

Comment provided August 10, 2007 at 11:43 AM

Ann L. writes:

Thanks for clearing the air. I guess I’m new enough that I don’t remember a time when everyone was trying to figure out what to call an emailed newsletter. I’ve always heard it called ezine. So, as a noun, I presume it’s becoming established.

Comment provided August 10, 2007 at 12:09 PM

Chinmay Chakravarty writes:

I’m EEEEEEEEE…lated!

Comment provided August 10, 2007 at 2:28 PM

Edward Weiss writes:

I never really liked the term “ezine” anyway. Supposedly, it’s short for electronic magazine right? Yet that’s not really what the majority of ezines are.

For the most part, they’re really enewsletters. The term ezine sounds better than enewsletter but still….

Comment provided August 10, 2007 at 4:18 PM

Ruth writes:

Today I woke up to a very disturbing email. Not from a Newbie, but from a seasoned EzineArticles Author.

I was accused of stealing an article off their website and posting it on my site. It was demanded I remove it or pay $250.00.

It was an ezinearticle that I posted, with the full author byline attached!!!!

This author was listed by EzineArticles as a “trusted author”

Sheesh… what gives, can she forget she has so many articles submitted to you?

I just needed to vent.

Thanks :)

Comment provided August 12, 2007 at 7:12 AM

Mystery ended – thank you.

Early days to know where this will end. Would be good but near on impossible to get all formats of article into one uniform genre. Too many people with good ideas I’m afraid.

Comment provided August 13, 2007 at 5:08 AM

Dear E-Citizen,

I am a happy participant in the E-conomy and I caste my e-vote for EzineArticles in the e-Republic for which I am a member. The Internet is the most e-fficient way to get information out to the World and it is nothing short of e-cellent.

Comment provided August 13, 2007 at 2:32 PM

Lance, you are being too e-nigmatic.

(Enigma = Greek word that means: a mystery, something we cannot understand.)

Comment provided August 13, 2007 at 6:56 PM

Ryan Jensen writes:

I’ve been involved in the ezine business almost as long as Chris, and it’s nice to see the niche again gaining popularity. When blogging first became popular, “ezine” was almost a forgotten word, and submitters to my directory thought any web page counted as an “electronic magazine”. I eventually had to put up a strict definition on my submission page and still have to reject 60-70% of all “ezines”.

Thanks, Chris, for clarifying this for everyone.

Comment provided August 13, 2007 at 11:08 PM