Emotional Attachment to Your Articles

5 Reasons Why Detachment Frees Your Mind… or How to emotionally detach from your article inventory:

Your articles are tools for you. The moment you become emotionally free from them, you’ll have a new perspective that allows you to see them as business tools rather than adjectives that describe your soul.

Most authors have an easy ability to connect with their content… but I’ve noticed that the 80% of authors who produce less than 10 articles are often the authors with an increased emotional attachment to their articles to the point that it becomes a block or obstacle that prevents them from entering the minority of expert authors who produce more than 10 articles.

Why emotional-detachment from your articles benefits you:

1) Detachment from your articles is not the same as indifference from them. You can still care about the quality of the content even if you’re not emotionally attached to it.

2) You are more than your articles. Your value and worth is unrelated to what you’ve written in your articles.

3) Sometimes when you become too emotionally involved with your article content, you lose objectivity.

4) You’re not phased negatively when you receive negative comments or rejection from your content. Rejection or negativity sent your way will now be viewed as either suggestions to help you improve your content or opinions that have nothing to do with you (example: A commentor on your article is having a bad day and takes some anger out on you as if you had anything to do with their experience.)

5) Deep down inside, you already know that it’s not good to emotionally attach to your articles. You can still use your emotions and passion to write excellent article content and then set them free to work for you.

Emotional involvement with your article content is quite natural.

Life would be pretty boring if we didn’t emotionally attach to things from time to time. What is important is to step back and notice your own attachment to your articles… so that you can ask yourself some of these questions:

* What would happen if I became emotionally detached from my articles?

* Would I write more articles and worry less?

* Would I have less anger, disappointment or rage and could I use this newly found time to be more productive and happy?

* If I was able to detach myself from how difficult it is to produce 10x the number of articles I’ve already produced, would I be able to produce more quality original articles?

Being detached from your articles and the whole article writing & marketing process allows you to say, “I’ll be fine whether I achieve my article writing, marketing and traffic attraction goals or not”… and you will find yourself faced with multiplicities of new found possibilities (how’s that for a tongue twister!) that didn’t seem to exist before.

Lastly, there is nothing wrong with using your emotions and passion for your niche topic within your article content! By releasing your attachment to your articles, you’ll increase your objectivity and productivity at the same time.

About The Author:

Christopher M. Knight invites you to submit your best quality original articles for massive exposure to the high-traffic http://EzineArticles.com/ expert author community. When you submit your articles to
EzineArticles.com, your articles will be picked up by ezine publishers who will reprint your articles with your content and links intact giving you traffic surges to help you increase your sales. To submit your articles, setup a membership account today: http://EzineArticles.com/submit/

(c) Copyright – Christopher M. Knight. All Rights Reserved Worldwide.

Edward Weiss writes:

Another benefit of not becoming emotionally involved with your articles is that it’s actually easier to write!

You can write faster, edit less, and have a much stronger article if you just write first without self-editing.

Plus, your natural voice comes through stronger. Something most author’s want anyway.

Comment provided August 27, 2007 at 4:31 PM

Hi Chris and Edward!

This attachment could perhaps be defined as the desire an author has to produce masterpieces.
It’s positive until certain point but he/she has to understand that his articles have a commercial functionalism and production counts more than perfection in this case, even though the articles’ quality shall always be respected.

Comment provided August 27, 2007 at 6:08 PM

Dan Snyder writes:

Chris,

I like your article and your attempt to help writers and marketers improve their abilities. You really hit the target on this one.

However, one question comes to mind as I read in between the lines of your article / blog post.

What are the ways that you encourage the 20 percent who write 80 percent of the articles? How do you encourage or promote prolific writing or regular periodic submissions?

I don’t mean to sound so harshly direct. I really don’t know how you are encouraging the other 20 percent and thought that more room for improvement could come from them.

Yes, you should encourage new writers to improve their abilities, but also fanning the flames of your hottest coals (the top 20 percent) may get you more fire.

Dan

Comment provided August 27, 2007 at 8:57 PM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

Great article Chris,

Did you post that on an article marketing site? :p

I love the emotional abandonment idea, just write it, let it go, post it and see where it takes you!

My work has been rejected and rewritten so many times, I’ve learned that it isn’t about me, it’s about an accomplishment that can always be improved upon.

Jan

Comment provided August 27, 2007 at 11:24 PM

Jan,

Yes, this was an article that I removed from syndication and moved to the blog.

I’m lining up the articles that I have in syndication are going to be a point A to Z guide to writing & marketing with articles….with this blog being a different kind of way to offer my thoughts to the market and learn from the feedback, etc.

Comment provided August 28, 2007 at 12:07 AM

Personally, on the detachment issue, often I detatch, but not always, as on many of my articles I am so attached, that I literally dare anyone to debate any item I have written in any article and challenge them to bring their data, back up their arguments and show me if they think they disagree. Indeed, I write for a purpose, or I wouldn’t write at all, why waste time.

Never the less, detatchment can be nice because it means you do not have to worry if someone spouts off an opinion in ignorance, you just let it go. So, in that regard I see two sides to this one.

Comment provided August 28, 2007 at 1:51 AM

I can’t help responding to Dan’s questions, which were:

Dan, have you read past this blog post? Maybe you will notice that a good portion of this blog does exactly that.

Read the formulas for productivity… there are tons of them in here. TONS, Dan.

Comment provided August 28, 2007 at 1:25 PM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

Dina,

I think you just implied that about twenty percent of the people who write articles read here and write 80% of the articles… Interesting implication!

I know that 20/80 thingie (yeah, I’m a copywriter) works. But I just hadn’t thought about it meaning readers/writers too.

Whooohoo! Way to go writers! Post more on the blog and write more!

(I get excited over other simple stuff too!)

Jan

Comment provided August 28, 2007 at 2:56 PM

Yeeha! What a fun discussion, unfortunately I am now getting really emotionally attached to this blog post – Yippie Skippie and all that. Fun stuff. Detatchment is so difficult when you are having fun.

Comment provided August 28, 2007 at 3:00 PM

Dina writes:

Jan,

No, I didn’t. The 80/20 assertion was part of Dan’s question, not my answer. I can’t respond to that was any certainty because this is not my site and I don’t have stats in front of me.

I’m just saying, this blog is filled with inspirational goodies for prolific writers.

It’s like going to McDonald’s and saying “So do you have cheeseburgers?”

Comment provided August 28, 2007 at 3:03 PM

Dina writes:

PS – Oops, I meant to type, “with” any certainty.

Comment provided August 28, 2007 at 3:03 PM

Nancy Chadwick writes:

Lance,

Concerning your occasional need to challenge someone who may disagree with something you’ve written…

It may be easier for me than others to detach from what I write. I teach/train in addition to writing, brokering, etc., and tend to look at my opinions, whether spoken or written, as catalysts to get people thinking about a particular subject. I welcome that even if they don’t agree with me because it’s exciting to see the synergy take hold and build. For me, exploration is the thing, or as Thoreau put it:

“The frontiers are not east or west, north or south, but wherever a man fronts a fact.”

Nancy Chadwick

Comment provided August 28, 2007 at 4:44 PM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

Gotcha, Dina.

You’re definitely right, that this blog is full of goodies. I love reading here just before I write my articles for the day/week, depending on schedule.

It’s awesome getting inspiration from a blog where so many other writers are also reading and writing.

Jan

Comment provided August 28, 2007 at 4:50 PM

Great point Nancy. Indeed, I actually enjoy discussing things with folks who have alternate opinions, than those who have the same opinion. Well, as long as they can think and come up with something new, rather than the same old talking points, I have heard before. Some can, those are the gems. Dialogue is good.

Detachment in this case is too.

Comment provided August 28, 2007 at 5:00 PM

This is a great blog post, and one I can relate to. Working with multiple writers (and being one myself), I see emotions as a huge barrier to effective writing.

Many of my teammates start off fine, then as they write, become emotionally involved. They want a perfect product. They want to achieve the client’s goals – and surpass them. Then they create bars of standards for themselves, which are always a little out of reach, and they struggle to reach their own personal goals. They send in the material and worry about not only my opinion, but the client’s opinion, and everyone else’s opinion who might read the content.

Now, worrying about the client is good. We aim to please, after all. But creating these personal requirements for absolute perfection and instant wow aren’t realistic and they hamper writers in their very success.

And the writers who get emotionally attached? They’re the ones that spend hours trying to get 500 words just right.

Write freely and without self-consciousness. Do the best job you can. If you need to, when you’re done writing, set it aside and come back to it the next day. Read and edit then and only then. You’ll have fresh eyes and a fresh mind that will catch more errors or problem areas.

And when you’re done? Be done with it. Write once, edit twice, and let it go. It’s an article, not a reflection of you. Don’t worry about what others think, especially if you’ve done the best you can.

Comment provided August 28, 2007 at 5:24 PM

Nancy Chadwick writes:

James,

I really agree with the advice you give in your last paragraph. There are times when it flows (and times when it doesn’t). When it’s flowing, let it flow and don’t stop to edit. When it’s not flowing, don’t micro-edit what you’ve written. Start fresh another day. I find that I wind up discarding words that I’ve produced tortuously (i.e., through repeated editing).

One of the best pieces of advice I ever got came from an attorney back in the days when I was drafting legal briefs (and agonizing over every word). Joe used to say: “just do the best you can with what you have at the time and then let it go.”

Nancy

Comment provided August 28, 2007 at 5:43 PM

If someone cares too much about other people’s opinion when they read his/her article then his intention is not to make a perfect job but to be admired; in another words, to feed his ego.

Comment provided August 28, 2007 at 6:06 PM

Or because he or she lacks self-esteem and is looking for acceptance. It isn’t all about ego or being admired. Sometimes it’s just about being a person who doesn’t believe in themselves.

Comment provided August 28, 2007 at 6:29 PM

This is quite problematic when these people face contradictions!

I believe one shall care about other people’s opinion until certain point; otherwise his/her work won’t follow his own plan.

Comment provided August 28, 2007 at 6:47 PM

Gah. I meant to say “a person who doesn’t believe in himself.” Or “herself”. Or both. Tired typist :)

Comment provided August 28, 2007 at 6:50 PM

Dr.Sturley writes:

Many articles are just rehashing older articles and re-wording the context with the same meaning.
I think the web should contain more individual attitudes and opinions and predictions.
People should write what they predict to happen. I am writing an article saying that Hillary Clinton will be the next US president. If I am wrong it is time dated for my shame! More people should take risks and predict and opine on the web. Or maybe googlebot doesn’t like controversy affecting it’s profits….A meteor couldn’t slow down it’s profits.
Dr Ann Sturley