Consider Pronouns Carefully

I didn’t think this anomaly could happen twice in one day, but it just did:

A user reports an article in our dating category as being suspect because the male author makes a statement such as “my husband and I did this or that, etc.”.

Two hours later, I’m reading one of the marriage articles randomly and I found a female author making a statement about “my wife always does this or that, etc.”.

This isn’t an example of an expert author choosing their pronouns wrongly; but rather careless article submission by a most likely non-original article writer. ie: trust & confidence destroyer. Both of these accounts were suspended.

The article writing lesson: If you’re hiring a ghost writer or if your spouse/significant other is writing articles for you, be certain to be gender-congruent with your pronouns. You’d be surprised how efficient the marketplace is at quickly identifying this blunder.

Audrey writes:

I smiled reading this blog entry. My daughter is an excellent proofer, and has caught this type of error when I’ve sent her what I thought was a great blog entry. She’ll come back and say “mom didn’t you think it was wierd the blog belongs to Julie and she’s talking about her wife?”

Audrey :)

Comment provided August 8, 2007 at 9:28 AM

Albert Hallado writes:

My husband, Opps… Oh! I mean my wife Darcie she’s a great proofer also. most of the time she’ll proof read my article and correct them because English is my second language. Sometimes I just don’t get it people want to establish credibility yet don’t want to do the right thing and take short cut instead.

Comment provided August 8, 2007 at 10:34 AM

David writes:

That is hilarious!

I try not to do it, but it’s tough to keep an eye out for those kinds of details among other things you’re doing.

I’ve joined the 30 day challenge, and have joined two groups to get the most out of it all. So I’m juggling between both of them, one as a male, and the other as a female.

I believe there is a different type of communication between the two, and I don’t know how this really is on target of this thread, but it can get daunting. Actually, what I have done is, I said that both me and my spouse are working on this together, and it could be either one of us communicating.

So, getting that part out of the way from the get-go was good. But need to be sure to communicate the way that I should.

Very funny indeed.

Comment provided August 8, 2007 at 11:36 AM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

I’ve found pronouns are a great place to put in keywords, for emphasis.

“It” can be replaced by your keyword quite often, or to clarify specific topics, you simply add in your keyword phrase. Your sentence structure changes and becomes a stronger sentence.

For Instance: Keyword phrases replace pronouns quite often and clarify specific topics.

Comment provided August 8, 2007 at 12:44 PM

Ramon Greenwood writes:

Another subject…re URL Click Tracking stats:

Can you give us some benchmarks. How many clicks are excellant, okay, lousy?

Many thanks for your splendid service.

Comment provided August 8, 2007 at 5:28 PM

Michael Russell writes:

What about same sex couples?

Marriage between same sex couples is legal in many countries of the world – so who is to say a man cannot have a husband or a woman have a wife?

Comment provided August 8, 2007 at 6:29 PM

Chinmay Chakravarty writes:

Maybe such experts authors are crying out against the gender bias! Subtle point, you see! Needs to be understood!

Comment provided August 9, 2007 at 2:12 AM

I was wondering how long it would take for a same-sex couples statement.

You’d have a point if the intent of the writers in question were making a Freudian slip or if they intended to cite a same-sex situation on purpose; but my gut feel for these 2 situations is member laziness/mistake.

Let’s not make this into something it’s not. :)

Will share details on URL click throughs in September.

Comment provided August 9, 2007 at 8:15 AM

Hendry Lee writes:

Interesting story, and the fact you suspended both the accounts were appreciated.

I think this and other small things contribute a lot to great user experience and quality in

Comment provided August 9, 2007 at 9:35 AM

Ann L. writes:

I think the popularity of blogs and using conversational tone when writing same has lowered the bar of tolerance for grammatical errors by the general public, “like, ya’know?”

The comment about replacing the pronoun “it” with keyword phrases is on target. I search for “it” in my posts for just that reason. Thanks Jan.

Comment provided August 10, 2007 at 12:31 PM