If Everyone Knew What You Know

If everyone knew what you know, there would be no reason for you to write & submit articles to sites like EzineArticles.

Fortunately, not everyone knows what you know and that’s is today’s writing lesson reminder: Don’t take for granted what you know because most people who are not deeply involved as you are in your niche know what you know and therefore your knowledge shared in articles is NEW to them.

If you’ve never heard it before, it’s new to you. For many of your readers, they will never have heard what you’ve written and therefore it’s new to them even if it’s old to you.

Yes, you can also produce EVERGREEN content for your niche using basic fundamentals that seem so common to you – yet are basic concepts that may be foreign to your readership.

In a nutshell, the article writing lesson is to rewind your mind 4-10 years ago and think about the various lessons you learned along the way to master your craft — and write about that. I can guarantee that your unique insights may not seem very unique to you, but they will be to your readership.

This concept is difficult for most *mastery-level* experts because they have reached the level of unconscious competence — where they act without much conscious effort thanks to years of experience…and I’m asking you to become conscious of the principles that make you competent –because this is exactly where your next set of articles could come from. :-) Make sense?

29 Comments

Chris makes an excellent point about unconscious competence or what some call the Law of Process. When you continually write, we continually think and topics appears almost magically. A quote, a word, a billboard can generate a thought that quickly turns into a title that evolves into an article.

What I say when speaking about Internet Article Marketing as a marketing strategy is that not only do you get quality traffic to your site, you also begin to think better. The better you think, the better you write. And what could be cooler than that?

Leanne Hoagland-Smith

Comment provided July 15, 2007 at 6:19 PM

Louis Lim writes:

It is a profound reminder of what internet personal asset we have already. Therse is a great avenue for us to explore to help others put to use their personal potential. As a management consultant to some of the biggest and best enterprises for 30 years, I intend starting a new site to help others exploit their internalized talents. The site which would be up in days is called http://www.Books-Self-Help.com

Comment provided July 15, 2007 at 6:21 PM

Boris Sherman writes:

Chris, very true reminder not to assume anything about knowledge level of the readers. We all are pro’s in our own fields of competence and are total beginners in others.

Comment provided July 15, 2007 at 7:02 PM

Ron Passfield writes:

I agree entirely Chris – I think we are unconscious of how much we have learnt. Sometimes it hits home when you visit a forum and see what seems to be very basic questions being asked. I have actually submitted an article on EzineArticles.com which explains the competency cycle and the challenges we face at each stage:

The Inner Game of Tennis – the Competency Cycle

Comment provided July 15, 2007 at 7:24 PM

Unconscious competence helps explain my challenge as a new ezine article writer. I have had to realize that what is “common knowledge” for me is actually new useful information for my readers. Chris-thanks for the reminder that this is common for many of us

Comment provided July 15, 2007 at 8:31 PM

Reg Boczko writes:

We need to be real when we write…
Don’t get hung up on trying to be someone your not… Remeber when your English teacher was telling you about writing a esay… How Reg, express your inter feeling…
In a nut shell “be yourself”

Comment provided July 15, 2007 at 8:52 PM

Edward Weiss writes:

Hmmm. Lessons I learned along the way … this is a tip I can use for sure.

Thanks and if you come up with other ideas for us unconcious competent article writers, please don’t hesitate to tell us!

Comment provided July 16, 2007 at 1:08 AM

Kun Song writes:

It is true that what we may deem as useless or regurgitated knowledge could be a brand new perspective to another fellow man.

We may no longer find any new lessons in our past experiences, but other may find a gem or two in them.

Comment provided July 16, 2007 at 1:35 AM

Zack writes:

I totally agree with what Chris has written. I feel that we should write the experiences that we have into the articles. There will always be people who can benefit from the articles because they have never been through the experiences that the writer has gone through. Thanks for posting this message as it serves a big reminder to me :)

Comment provided July 16, 2007 at 4:14 AM

Richard Leeds writes:

I’ve only just started writing articles and they are certainly based on knowledge I have gained over recent years.

What prompted me to write were the questions that I get asked when people contact me about a particular service I’m offering. It prompted me to start documenting this information.

I’ve yet to discover if anyone finds any gems in them! Only time will tell.

Comment provided July 16, 2007 at 6:29 AM

Susan Thompson writes:

Thanks for the reminder…I needed that. Sometimes, we don’t realize how much simple tips or truths can help others.

Comment provided July 16, 2007 at 11:01 AM

Chinmay Chakravarty writes:

It’s a brilliant insight, Chris. But I have a question. Isn’t it better to be only ‘unconsciously competent’, because ‘conscious competence’ may lead to hyperego and snobbish ‘levels’?

Comment provided July 16, 2007 at 11:52 AM

In answer to Chinmay, each quadant in the Law of Process is connected by Bridges. Conscious competence is gained through the Bridge of Learning and Unconscious Competence is gained through the Bridge of Spaced Repetition. What happens is that Unconscious Competence may lead to complacency and an unconsious super ego. When this happens you cross the Bridge of Complency which is one way and end up again being Unconscious Incompetent. You think must cross the Bridge of Discovery to become Consciously Incompetent. Hope that this helps.

Comment provided July 16, 2007 at 11:59 AM

Chinmay Chakravarty writes:

In I-don’t-know-conscious-or-unconscious responsse to Leanne. Please come again sans the bridges. How can one become complacent and super egoist while being unconsciously competent.

Am I conscious or incompetent or unconscious or competent?

Comment provided July 16, 2007 at 12:11 PM

In response to Chinmay, best example I give of Unconscious Competence is not listening during a safety training class. The “I know it all” takes over or what you may call the super ego.

Unfortunately, in this state a person failed to here that an unused track will be active due to repairs on another track. The unconsciously competent person is killed or seriously injured. In some cases it makes sense to be only consciously competent so that you are always on your toes so to speak.

The issue here is defining Super Ego which is defined differently.

Comment provided July 16, 2007 at 12:19 PM

Chinmay Chakravarty writes:

Sorry Leanne. It’s still not digestible. ‘I-know-it-all’ persons have to be fully conscious of his/her ego. If an unconsciously competent person is vulnerable then s/he cannot be competent–conscious or unconscious.

Comment provided July 16, 2007 at 12:28 PM

Hi Chris!

I’m glad I have Internet here in Syros, a very beautiful Greek island, but the connection here is too slow! Anyhow, I can keep a contact.

I know the content I have to present is very unique, but the world has to discover it yet! There is too much competition in the fields I’m an expert. But I’m in a very good position on Google and my articles at the Ezine are read, I’m sure is just a matter of time. I have to write many articles and show a lot.

At least I’m in the first pages of Google without paying 8 Euros per click, as I would have to, if I was not writing articles but had only ads. That’s why I super love article writing! This possibility is a real gift for me! I had no chance to compete with so many other experts and big companies if I was not writing articles for this Ezine and if their content was not so good. Of course it’s good, it’s being very well tested. I had only success with my patients, even with a schizophrenic and a psychotic. Their partial cure was more than a miracle! I only have to prove what was already verified in practice and works very well in any case. Seems to be very easy, but the competition in the Internet is tremendous! There are many others that cannot accomplish even half of what I can, but they are in the top for years now while I’m new in the Internet!

By the way I even started writing that super article with 5000 words since we can do it now. It’s going to be a free report very useful for everyone. I’m happy I can do a lot writing here! At least I have this advantage!

Comment provided July 16, 2007 at 12:30 PM

Zack writes:

Hi Christina,

It is nice to see that you are sharing informations with everybody and the mini success that you have achieve. When we share, we get back more in return.

I believe that with your continuous writing, you will be able to achieve the things that you want to achieve. Hurray to article marketing :)

Comment provided July 16, 2007 at 12:48 PM

Chinmay Chakravarty writes:

Can I have ‘enlightened competence’ please?

Comment provided July 16, 2007 at 12:51 PM

It is always best to work towards unconscious competence.

Hyperego or Super Ego is a choice some people make…perhaps unconsciously.

We all start out with unconscious incompetence (we don’t know what we don’t know that we should know); progressing to conscious incompetence (we know that we don’t know what we should know) to conscious competence (we know what we know and we’re still thinking about knowing it (ego can be obnoxious here)), and finally… we arrive at unconscious competence (we act without thinking because we know what to do).

Athletes develop “muscle memory” as a way of exhibiting unconscious competence.

Those who are mental athletes simply act on what they know to be true without contemplating the act.

Acid test: If you feel the need to prove to someone that you are an expert; you are not one.

If you know you are the expert, everyone will know it and those who don’t know it, won’t bother you because you don’t seek their approval.

Full circle: This topic is about becoming conscious of your competence so you can help others who are just beginning to become conscious of their incompetence around your area of expertise.

Comment provided July 16, 2007 at 12:58 PM

The funny and almost ironic part of this discussion:

“Judgment” is part of the EGO; yet it really sounds judgmental when I tell you that your readership is incompetent… when that’s a pretty harsh word for it…

A more positive word is “on the path to discovery” … because we want readers who are on the path to discovering the strategies and expertise that we have to share with them.

Comment provided July 16, 2007 at 1:12 PM

Thank you Zack! I have a lot to share. I feel I have the obligation to give a lot of free information because many people need it. I’m selling only specific information about craziness prevention and dream interpretation, all the rest is totally free.
I’m happy I can give free information through the Internet without any cost. This is more than wonderful!

About the ego, I can say that it’s the human being’s worse enemy. One shall always be humble and realist.

An expert can be considered the best one only through constant research, new discoveries and a lot of work.
Unconscious competence shall be conscious competence without proudness, but with a deep sense of responsibility.

Comment provided July 16, 2007 at 5:59 PM

Yes but it takes like 12,000 articles to tell the world what you know?

Comment provided July 17, 2007 at 12:59 AM

Chinmay Chakravarty writes:

The search for knowledge is eternal. As per the belief of rebirth cycle one keeps on learning in respective births and keeps on bettering it till s/he attains universal bliss. If I manage to write a few thousand articles in this incarnation putting together the next ones I maybe completing millions. Then we’ll have to call it ‘superconscious competence’. And, it’ll still be not enough!

Any takers?

Comment provided July 17, 2007 at 5:40 AM

Reg Boczko writes:

Your right Lance it take 12,000 or more…
But if your passionate enough for the world
to know what you know then go for it…

Comment provided July 17, 2007 at 8:09 AM

Hi Chinmay!

We don’t need a superconscience in order to understand our competence. Conscience only is more than enough if it is realistic, without silly proudness.

Comment provided July 17, 2007 at 12:38 PM

Chinmay Chakravarty writes:

Right, Christina. But again the same problem! Is this conscious, unconscious or subconscious ‘conscience’? Anyway, this discussion is getting immensely ‘unconsciously competent’. We must all thank Chris.

Comment provided July 17, 2007 at 1:50 PM

Dear Chinmay, you cannot have an unconscious or subconscious conscience, otherwise it’s not a conscience. The conscience knows its content.

Chris said that some authors don’t understand their competence consciously, but they should. It means that from the unconscious side this knowledge shall pass to the conscious side. In another words, what is unconscious shall become conscious.

Your idea about human conscience is not correct. Please, read my articles in Mental Health to learn more about this matter if you want to be enlightened. (Neurosis definition and cure, Craziness prevention, Craziness definition and cure.)

Comment provided July 17, 2007 at 3:39 PM

Christina,

Actually, I never said that they don’t “understand their competence consciously” but rather my reminder was to encourage all experts to become conscious of your competence so you can share it with others…rather than taking it for granted.

This thread really has run its course…I’m going to close it so that we can move on to new topics. :-)

Comment provided July 17, 2007 at 5:58 PM