Writing For Affiliate Marketing

An affiliate marketer writes us:

When writing articles for my affiliate programs I only sell, should I use a different author’s name for each category of affiliate program or use my own name on all?

First, read this article: Authors With Multiple Brands – Secrets To Managing Multiple Topics When Writing Articles

Next, accept my praise to you for being smart enough to know that you should create your own quality original articles to promote your various affiliate campaigns. Most affiliates are lazy and submit articles they didn’t write and this is the primary reason we don’t accept articles with affiliate links in them. (See section 3 in the editorial guidelines.)

But, we do accept quality original articles that promote affiliate links provided that the URL in the resource box is a full domain name you purchased. Ideally we’d like to see you put a site up at the domain you purchased to promote your affiliate program and then link to your unique affiliate link, but currently we only require the full domain and if you want to forward traffic to that domain directly to your affiliate link — we’re currently ok with that.

Perhaps what we should do is create a separate identification so that our readers know the link is an AFF (affiliate) link so they don’t think your URL should be given the full credibility that a non-affiliate unique content site should receive. Just a thought.

Lastly, to answer your question: If all of your affiliate programs are from the same niche, I’d recommend using your own name on them. If you promote in multiple niches, then consider either a variant on your name or different pen names for each niche.

Hi Chris!

I think you are right about the public opinion and the different author name for each type of article.

I personally don’t need to have any variation of my name when I write in different categories because the are all similar and for me is better to show to the public that my knowledge is not only concentrated in one subject, but if I would promote here also my store with clothes for example, that has nothing to do with depression, craziness and dreams, of course I would need a variation of my name.

On the other hand I don’t think my readers would think that my knowledge about marketing is something that can make them doubt of my seriousness in psychology, because I’m a very serious marketer. I would simply expose very objectively all the problems we have while trying to sell our products and how we can solve them, with the same character I have when I write about psychology.

However, if I would really write about clothes and marketing besides psychology, I would simply respect your advice because the first impressions people have are very important.

Comment provided June 30, 2007 at 5:19 PM

Chris, how come you are not running a Marathon today. I am looking for your improvement on your “Personal Best” and like it when you lead by example.

Comment provided June 30, 2007 at 7:32 PM

Yes Lance, the subject is very interesting today!

I believe an author shall have his or her brand name without any doubt, according to what he or she wants to present or promote, because each person is associated with their work.

It doesn’t mean that an author cannot promote several products that are not related for his affiliates using the same name because he or she is a specialist in let’s say 5 subjects that are different but not totally disconnected.

However, the best thing is to have a name for each niche. The reader likes to see that someone is a specialist on what he or she writes, without considering that an author can have many capacities and know very well many different subjects which are not related.

Comment provided June 30, 2007 at 8:03 PM

Congruence must exist in the author’s spirit, not in the subjects he or she writes about.

If I would write articles about clothes I would not talk about fashion but about how we can have better results in our sales if the production of the clothes will follow the customers requirements, instead of trying to impose them whatever, just because this is the fashion now.

My spirit writing about clothes wouldn’t be different from my spirit writing about psychological problems. As a matter of fact, I treat my customers like I treat my patients. Many people tell me their dreams and their personal problems in the store.

When someone has a strong personality his or her actions are always congruent. Congruence means loyalty in what we present or do. So, it doesn’t matter if we write an article about a serious health problem or an article about a superficial human need of our daily life. Our spirit shall be congruent. We shall simply present the aspects of each topic with the same organization and the same responsibility. This way we can use the same name even though we write articles about completely different subjects.

Comment provided June 30, 2007 at 8:47 PM

Well you have got the spirit yes you do, you have the spirit, how about me?

You know as I read your words, contemplate congruency, it appears that I must agree.

Comment provided July 1, 2007 at 12:55 AM

Good Morning!

Don’t you have a spirit that can be recognized in your words and in the way you organize them when you write your articles?

Each writer has a personal style, but some writers don’t have a spirit. They have to be neutral, because they are ghost writers for example, or they are writers without talent, that have to write articles, newsletters and ads to promote their business. These are the marketers; writing is for them an obligation. I guess they need our lessons more than anyone.

I believe that good writers can keep their original name because they have a spirit and their author brand is represented by the special spirit they have when they write.

In any other case we better have different author names for each field, because the author name is connected with the subject of each article and the readers like to read what authorities in their field have to say. They cannot accept the idea that you can be an expert in two completely different fields.

Comment provided July 1, 2007 at 9:33 AM

So, now you have to get plenty of rest and sleep.

When you sleep, close your eyes. When you wake up, drink lots of water.

Comment provided July 1, 2007 at 10:15 AM

Wow, Chris, excellent indeed. This is great inspiration to help others get into shape. One thing writers do too much of is sitting down and writing rather than getting out and doing and thus by leading by example you are assisting all writers to strategize and plan their exercise and workouts to better themselves and be happier. This should improve their outlook, writing and self being.

Comment provided July 1, 2007 at 4:11 PM

I agree. It was a very smart decision!

It fits with author names very much.

Only a genius could make such connection!

Comment provided July 1, 2007 at 5:25 PM

Alli writes:

Well, that’s great hear… about my own domain, i didn’t know that lol. Thnx.

And yes to use a different author’s name for each category, definitely makes sense.

Btw, congrats for the half-iron man!

Sam

Comment provided July 2, 2007 at 9:57 AM

Yes, I didn’t say anything about that. Congratulations Chris! Besides being a writer you are an athlete!

I admire your courage!