EzineArticles on your Cell Phone

Here’s a question for the super geeky nerds who use cell phones for more than just making phone calls:

If you could surf EzineArticles via your cell phone, what would you like to be able to do?

We’re going to begin investing in resources to create a custom cell phone version of EzineArticles, but need some direction from the market as to which services you’d like to see us provide in a cell phone friendly format.

ie: Should we be focused on the needs of our end-users who surf the site to find information or should we start our focus on providing members with access to membership status updates in terms of whether their submissions are approved or to view basic summary stats or what?

David Phillips writes:

Perhaps with the right platform you could start by providing members with the ability to check article status and many of the other functions we currently use from our PC or laptop.

Then if possible use the same platform to roll this out to enable publishers using their mobiles to download an article and post it on their blog or site.

Comment provided June 4, 2007 at 8:36 AM

EngineerTiat writes:

I agree with David’s comments.

Personally I would like to be able to access my member’s area and be able to post my articles from my smartphone.

I would also love to be able to search through the database, choose an article that I like and post it to my blog.

This will be a truly mobile lifestyle!

Warm regards

Comment provided June 4, 2007 at 11:02 AM

With the new technologies coming fast with Mobile Computing, you should make these things feasible, by having very simple low byte screens at the cell phone user level. They should be able to search categories and then articles by title and you should have listed the top articles and newest articles, with scaled down graphics for very fast loading. If the user can surf EzineArticles.com fast, they will.

Comment provided June 4, 2007 at 1:17 PM

Ann Bradley writes:

The iPhone is coming out June 29th. Are you talking about something next generation? Or are you suggesting a single use device?

Comment provided June 5, 2007 at 12:14 AM

Yes, I am and the technology and competition is far beyond the mere offerings of the first generation of iPone coming out. Many industries already have hand-held devices that do so much more.

Comment provided June 5, 2007 at 12:40 AM

Some thoughts:

You don’t need an iPhone to surf websites or have an extended mobile cellular experience.

Most phones today have built in browsers and allow you to either surf their pre-programmed version of the Internet or the wide open net where you can enter in a website directly.

Motorola and Nokia currently lead the highest numbers of surfers to EzineArticles in terms of mobile devices… with over 4000+ views/hits last month.

Personally, I’m using a Motorola i880 Nextel phone and I’ve been using it to get news, weather, movie listings, sports scores, instant messaging, and travel maps. It has a 2GB MicroSD card in it, so I’m able to carry most of my MP3’s with me, yet I don’t find this to be a major value because I don’t want my cell with me in the gym and because the bluetooth is not in stereo [yet] and my car doesn’t know how to play my MP3’s from the cell through the car stereo (this will be awesome when that works).

Couple of our EzineArticles techies have blackberries so they can receive server pages, secure log in to the servers remotely, and surf the public websites to see if all services are up.

Ironically, we don’t use our cell devices for email because the load is just too high at 2500+ per day.

Had an idea yesterday to restrict the use of cell phone users of the site for a few weeks so that we could present them with a poll to tell us what they were expecting or how they wanted to surf EzineArticles from their mobile device.

Comment provided June 5, 2007 at 7:02 AM

Perhaps a “www.pda.EzineArticles.com” button which is loaded first. “If you are on a mobile device click here” then the graphics are toned down and only very fast loading content scaled down is presented. Make it easy and they will come. Our company use to do this so customers could order mobile car wash services at their offices on their Blackberries and Palm Pilots back in 1999-2001 in the high-tech cities in the US.

Comment provided June 5, 2007 at 3:09 PM