Click Tracking For Your Articles

A sneak peek behind the scenes in the EzineArticles developer lab: We’ve been beta-testing a new click analytics custom tool that tracks how many times every URL in your article body and resource box gets clicked.

After we’re certain this feature is ready to roll out, the data will be added to your article reports. ETA is most likely this month as the feature is working excellent in early tests.

The objective: Be able to help our members with performance metrics that show how well their articles are generating traffic referrals from EzineArticles without interfering with the URLs themselves to track the clicks.

Once authors have this information, many will begin thinking about ways to transform their articles to perform better in terms of converting more of the traffic to their articles from us back to their website…and thus we hope the innovative nature of this enhancement will create more member loyalty resulting in more quality original article submissions. Example: If you knew numerically how much value EzineArticles was providing your website directly, this information will help you to justify more article writing time vs. competing priorities for your time. :)

Yes Yes Yes, we know you want to know who is picking up your articles. No, this feature is not going to tell you this. This analytics feature is more about showing you how well your articles are converting our traffic back to your website…so it’s more like end-user analysis vs. Ezine Publisher syndication analysis. Make sense?

Any feedback for how you might want to utilize this click analytics information?

How can/should we differentiate between your self-serving active links vs. your non-self-serving active links in the reports?

Do you want to see the total clicks to all URLs in the ARTICLE BODY *AND* RESOURCE BOX or is there value in seeing this broke out into two separate stats?

Excellent initiative – I do however use Google Analytics, as I am sure many of your authors do, which allows me to assess what impact submissions to Ezine is having compared with submissions to other sites: I can tell you that Ezine has held up consistently well for me.

Any work that you do that allows us to dig even deeper, will of course be beneficial and very much appreciated.

PS: Any news on the introduction of the new author “classifications”?

Comment provided June 8, 2007 at 12:17 PM

This is a wonderful idea and will be a great benefit to authors, allowing us to analyze any articles that get good click through.

The more you can tell us about which links are clicked, the better. If it is not feasible to list each link, then breaking out links in the body from links in the resource box would be helpful. What would be really great is if you could list the link text, the URL of the link and the number of clicks.

But just by knowing which link in a particular article had good click through, we can study our article to learn what motivating factors contributed — and therefore, improve subsequent articles.

This will be a real benefit. You never stop thinking of ways to improve — thank you.

Comment provided June 8, 2007 at 12:54 PM

Quality assurance in the article review process has been consuming our labor and the new author classification system is off the scale labor intensive due to many factors.

Until our newly hired editors and the additional ones we’ll be hiring are trained better and we’re QCing the article process closer to the level that I expect us to be… the author classification project is on hold.

I see the new classification system as greatly assisting with the reduction of thin content authors or at least the flagging of such… but before that happens, we must improve our article review teams consistency.

Comment provided June 8, 2007 at 1:08 PM

Yes, I accept that of course, but you have aroused us with the foreplay, please don’t keep us waiting too long, we might fall asleep, or worse develop a headache!!

Comment provided June 8, 2007 at 1:22 PM

Shan Ferguson writes:

I have’nt really done ay sort of tracking as such on the click thru rate however I do know that my web site traffic increases exponetially every month, in fact I have had nearly two thirds of the amount of traffic in june as I had for the whole month of may.

Comment provided June 8, 2007 at 2:03 PM

This seems like an unprofitable business mistake on the part of EzineArticles.

Comment provided June 8, 2007 at 3:41 PM

I really look forward to the addition of this innovation Chris. I think the best bet would be to break this into two separate stats for the article body and resource box.

As for being able to tell where your articles are being used, writers can copy their title, paste it into Google or Yahoo, put it in quatation marks and hit search.

I work hard with my members and mentees to create a powerful resource box and this new feature will be of great value in that regard.

Thanks Chris

Comment provided June 8, 2007 at 6:39 PM

Nice improvement! I adore your Ezine and your blog, Chris! I intend to write many articles, not only about depression. My articles will be exclusive, only for this Ezine, since other sites can copy them from here and they are also in my site. I want to write articles for many categories, like Spirituality, Mental Health, Happiness! I only need time. But you can count on my loyalty!

Comment provided June 8, 2007 at 8:55 PM