Ya Got 5 Hours

Your Membership interface has received a round of security enhancements that are designed to do two things:

1. Expire your session in 5 hours so that your session doesn’t remain active in perpetuity.
  2. Discourage members from linking to their membership interface URLs on other public websites.

The downside to the new security protocols is that you can no longer share a URL from within your membership interface session with someone else, but the upside is that you won’t mistakenly give control to anyone else over your account.

Lastly, keep in mind that from the time you log in, you have 5 hours to do whatever it is that you want to do and the 5 hours is from your last action (meaning the last time you executed something within your interface… Typing text in a submission form is not an action, but submitting it or saving it as a draft or clicking to view your reports is an action). Any questions?

Eric writes:

This is a great enhancement. Thanks.

Comment provided May 15, 2007 at 9:35 AM

Pamela Beers writes:

Once again, ya done good. Sounds like a good idea to me. Thanks.

Comment provided May 15, 2007 at 9:37 AM

Great protection for those of us who are a bit absent-minded at times! Thanks for always watching out for this community.

Comment provided May 15, 2007 at 9:45 AM

Sharon writes:

Great idea, though I had noticed :)

Comment provided May 15, 2007 at 10:04 AM

Ahhhhh…so that is why my session is not active when I wake up in the middle of the night or first thing in the morning to write!

Comment provided May 15, 2007 at 2:22 PM

Programmer #1 writes:

Tip: To further protect your account, always hit ‘LOG OUT’ , in the upper right corner of your screen, when you are done. This will immediately end your session.

Comment provided May 15, 2007 at 9:50 PM

Good stuff and it all makes sense to me. In fact, I have had my membership section open for 5-hours before, I am sure, while I was doing other things.

Comment provided May 15, 2007 at 10:02 PM

Dan Goodwin writes:

Ah, this caught me out a couple of days ago.

I often will write an article in the early morning, then maybe get to the point of starting to submit it, then run out of time.

When I’ve returned that afternoon or evening to finish submitting, I’ve found I get logged out, losing all the html tags, keywords etc I’d added to the submit form for my article.

Does using the save as draft facility overcome this? Otherwise I’ll just wait until I know I’ve got time to do the whole submission in one go.

Comment provided May 16, 2007 at 11:47 AM

The best thing to do if you know you’re going to be gone for a while and you’re in the middle of a submission is to SAVE IT AS A DRAFT and then return to it later.

Comment provided May 16, 2007 at 11:59 AM