Writers vs. Marketers – Who Should Win?

There’s a competitive online war going on in your niche and there is a good chance that you may not even be aware that it’s happening.

The savvy marketer’s may have already written you off as an inconsequential competitor…

Imagine two entrepreneurs… one is the technician and one is the marketer. Assuming a quality product or service, which one do you think will be doing better in (5) years from now? In most cases, the marketer will be doing better because he or she is focused or obsessed with identifying wants and needs of a very defined ideal-client. They make sure that their products & services are continually promoted as the solution to those needs & desires.

The technician, like the ‘writer,’ is focused or obsessed with delivering a quality product or service first and marketing second. Sometimes their attitude is: If I build a better mousetrap, the world will beat down my doors to find me.

If you want to really thrive online, you must understand the war that the marketers have waged and are planning to continue waging in your niche online. Let’s talk about how this relates to article writing and marketing:

True marketers are market demand specialists (they create a market demand for their products and services) and their weapons include an arsenal of metrics, analytics, research, surveys, skillful copywriting and plenty of campaign planning/management & execution/follow through.

When a typical marketer approaches the concept of writing articles for purposes of exposure:

• They will normally leap to quickly quantify the metrics behind how success will be defined
  • What specifically must happen in terms of quantity and quality of article production
  • Plenty of keyword research will be done to project market size and depth of possible impact
  • Followed by the deployment/syndication and follow up to ensure the articles in their inventory are an appreciating asset that reflects favorably on their enterprise and brand(s)

When a typical writer approaches the concept of writing articles for purposes of exposure:

• They will normally do some research to be comprehensive…sometimes producing too many words per article
  • And then obsess over proper use of language, spelling, grammar, and sentence structure.
  • While they often produce very high quality articles; this often comes at the price of never achieving a significant volume of articles and therefore their impact may be limited.

The best approach is at the intersection of both of these types… the writer or technician role to produce very high quality articles that reflect well on your personal or business brand and the marketer role so that you go deep enough to dominate your niche using numeric metrics rather than gut feel to advance your market position.

Your Goal: Take a fresh look at your article writing & marketing strategies through the eyes of the analytical metrics driven marketer and see your article writing inventory building as part of a campaign or a series of campaigns designed to achieve very measurable objectives (in terms of lead generation and traffic attraction) rather than a haphazard approach that we see very often.

Now, a question for the MARKETERS: If you had to give one piece of brief advice to non-marketer oriented expert writers to help them see the world through your marketing eyes when applied to article writing, what would you recommend or what tip do you think is the most important to understand?

Jah writes:

It doesn’t matter how much you desire to actually solve a persons problem. If when they visit your page you don’t either capture their name of convince them you are the only place they should buy from your chances of building a business are slim.

Comment provided May 30, 2007 at 11:09 AM

Leonard Buchholz writes:

Great topic Chris, and since I am in development of a website, great timing.
I recently attended a teleseminar in which the author exhorted the listeners to make sure that the content that you write and provide to sites like EzineArticles.com is of the same content and caliber as that for which you would charge someone for.
I certainly agree and embrace that concept. And, as I am now putting together a website so that I can market myself and information, I am excited to hear the responses from the “marketeers.”

Comment provided May 30, 2007 at 11:13 AM

Debbie LaChusa writes:

Write about what your ideal clients are concerned about. Answer THEIR questions in your articles. A great way to find out what they want to know more about is to ask them. Include a form to capture their top question about your product or service category on your website, either during the opt-in process, after they have opted in, or on an “Ask Me” web page.

Comment provided May 30, 2007 at 11:14 AM

Gregg Hall writes:

First off, my question would be, “Why are you writing articles?” If you are writing articles in the hopes of creating income then you need to be writing articles about products or services that people want to buy.

I try to write about hot and current products and services for my own business and also write articles for my business partners’ sites.

I can promise you this, article marketing works. On sites where we have slacked off on article marketing we have seen a large decline in traffic. I have been remiss due to recent bicep surgery but am coming back, so watch out Eric, Kal, and Gail!

Comment provided May 30, 2007 at 11:15 AM

Yes, I agree that it’s wise to give your best content without fear that you’re disclosing a major secret that you’d normally want a client to pay for because clients will always want more from you or a piece of you that they can never get with a short 500-1500 word article…

And that’s precisely why article writing & marketing helps to generate LEADS and pre-qualified visitors back to your website so you can sell/upsell your ideal market on the benefits you and your business can provide them.

Comment provided May 30, 2007 at 11:17 AM

Will Kenny writes:

When you suggest that writers take a look at their campaigns through marketing eyes, I can’t help but think that there is full spectrum from your technician to your marketer. In other words, one person might be, say, 60/40 technician/marketer. Another might by 85/15 (or, of course, 15/85).

The individuals who are tilted heavily toward one end of the spectrum may not even know how to start looking at things from the other (technician or marketer) perspective.

What strikes me is that the marketers will often get help. I think it is much more likely that a marketer will get help on the writing side than that a technician will get help on the marketing side.

And the available resources reflect that. Marketers looking for people to write or edit for them can easily find potential helpers, but it isn’t clear where a good writer who wants marketing help gets it.

Comment provided May 30, 2007 at 11:20 AM

Gregg Hall writes:

I concur that you should strive to answer questions and supply a “teaser” to solving a problem.

Many people try to solve a problem or completely answer a question in an article. This gives the reader no reason to visit your site. To get visitors to come to your site you must give them enough information to let them know that you are knowledgable on the subject but not so much that they do not need more information.

Here’s an example:

I have been marketing online since 1995 and stay on top of the latest marketing and promotion tools and software to promote my sites. Unless you have been living under a rock you know that video is fast becoming a necessity on websites and it is going to be the most important promotional tool for 2007.

Are you curious about the easiest and most cost effective way to put video on your website click my name!

Comment provided May 30, 2007 at 11:23 AM

Janet Beatrice writes:

Here’s a simple perspective for writers: are you meeting a need?

To me, that’s a healthy marketing perspective. Chris, you say marketers create a demand. I don’t think that’s entirely true.

I believe to a large extent, they find out what needs are out there, and then they meet them.

I believe any writer can produce truly high quality material by focusing on the needs of their audience, or by focusing on an audience that has needs they can meet.

I think Chris’s take on the marketing perspective is more cynical than it needs to be. My goal as a marketing and copywriting professional is not to “dominate” my niche (holistic practitioners), but rather to help those within my niche to thrive using honest, ethical marketing methods and excellent copy (written by me, of course). ;-)

Comment provided May 30, 2007 at 11:38 AM

Will Kenny’s statement is striking – Marketers looking for people to write or edit for them can easily find potential helpers, but it isn’t clear where a good writer who wants marketing help gets it.

My answer is the writers should spend time to read and understand “Article Marketing” strategy rather than depeding on others.

I am not joking, just click my name, you will see my roles as Writer/Marketer.

Comment provided May 30, 2007 at 11:39 AM

I’m enjoying Will Kenny’s thoughts on this matter and I think I may have to click his link after I finish typing this.

Will, You Said:

“Marketers looking for people to write or edit for them can easily find potential helpers, but it isn’t clear where a good writer who wants marketing help gets it.”

The key is for someone who is very detail oriented (that’s usually the writer) to develop a working relationship with someone whose strong point is devising long-term strategies, setting concrete goals and then fufilling them (that would be the marketer).

I realize you can’t force a partnership like that. But sometimes you discover such complementary partners living in online or in-person networks – or even better, you become acquainted with them while working for the same clients.

Comment provided May 30, 2007 at 11:39 AM

(By the way, I love the fact that the Marketers and Writers of this post have gone from adversaries to partners – that’s certainly a true result that happens in real life.)

Comment provided May 30, 2007 at 11:41 AM

Amanda Evans writes:

I found this post very interesting. I am a professional ghostwriter and have set up my own website to help other ghostwriters. The content part of the website was easy but the marketing part is what I am finding difficult. Like someone mentioned, it is easy to find writers to help with content, but what about finding marketers to help with the promotion?

I have been spending most of my time reading and researching the latest internet marketing tactics but with the mind of a writer I find a lot of this very confusing or in some cases my mind begins developing articles on the subject more so than utilizing the information gathered.

There could be a website idea in this post, a place where writers can find marketers to promote and vice versa, although it has probably already been though of.

Comment provided May 30, 2007 at 11:49 AM

Gregg Hall writes:

In response to the concerns about marketing help. I would like to give everyone a link to a free PDF from an interview I did a couple of months ago. No subscribing required, the url is straight to a pdf:

I hope this is helpful. I also invite anyone with questions on marketing to contact me. If I can help, I will.

Skype id = gregg.hall

If I don’t answer just leave me a message.

Comment provided May 30, 2007 at 11:51 AM

Allen Taylor writes:

As a writer-turned-Internet-marketer, I would say stop stressing. You are not writing for magazines. It does not have to be perfect. Put some emotion into your writing and strike a nerve with your readers. Think of one question that your clientele would want to know the answer to and provide the answer to that question. You have to get into the mind of the reader and right to their concerns.

Comment provided May 30, 2007 at 12:10 PM

As a marketer, I’d offer two pieces of advice to writers/professionals:

1) Never, ever, worry about giving away too much in your articles. Chances are, given the proliferation of info on the web, readers can find this info anywhere already. What they can’t find, and are often looking for, is help in implementing the advice you give. An excellent article with lots of great tips establishes you as a person they might want to hire or buy from!

2) Given that whatever you are writing about is likely to be covered hundreds of other places on the web, give your article a personal twist. Show your personality. Make a personal connection. Give your unique view on the subject. That differentiation may be just what tips the balance for you getting hired or selling your product.

Comment provided May 30, 2007 at 12:24 PM

Write one article a day. take no more time than 2 hours including editing and posting to EzineArticles.

But when I try to follow this advice I run out of ideas/angles for articles.

Comment provided May 30, 2007 at 12:28 PM

When writing your articles, have a clear picture of the person you are writing to. Go beyond educating to connect with your reader on a behavioral or an emotional level. Tap into their connections. When an article touches you deeply, you are more likely to keep it for yourself and forward it to your friends and family. And if relevant, you are more likely to reach out to the resource who helped you solve a deep dilemma.

Melanie R. Negrin
Merocun© Marketing & Public Relations

Comment provided May 30, 2007 at 12:31 PM

My piece of advice for writers: If you’re not paying the bills writing, find a marketer (not all of them are sleazy, I promise) and ask for help. Can’t afford help? Find a marketer that needs a writer and see if you can’t work something out. There is NO SHAME in paying your bills, and you haven’t “sold out” if you make good money. Oh, and did I mention not all marketers are sleazy? I did? Good. It’s true, I promise!

Comment provided May 30, 2007 at 1:06 PM

Faith writes:

Great topic! I have built a business with a great product (eyescreamshades.com) , as well as with savvy marketing. I think the most important thing when writing articles, from a marketers’ perspective… is always to have a catchy title… people are more likely to read further. In addition, the more creative and unique you can be when writing on a particular topic, the more the reader is engaged to not only read the one article, but to read subsequent articles you may write. Finally, the best articles are those written on “niche” topics, or ones where the author is an “expert” on the topic being written about.
Keep writing….. learning…. and constantly keep reinventing yourself with fresh ideas and views!

Comment provided May 30, 2007 at 1:22 PM

Bud Coggins writes:

Most people, particularly article readers, are savvy enough today to see through a disguised “sales pitch”. Basically, they are looking for experienced-based information that is going to help them discover a solution to an issue in their business or personal life. They want to know that you’ve been there, done that and know what you are talking about. Give them the “good stuff” and watch what happens!

Comment provided May 30, 2007 at 1:25 PM

Esteban writes:

I’m an artist. And worked in a marketing office for years as a designer, but also, out of necessity wrote copy as needed. The best advice to give any writer, is: Give it up. Write it and let go. Don’t make it so precious. No one will know you have something to offer if you don’t offer whatever it is. In the visual world, we have the artists who never are able to part with their paintings, or who detest the marketing ploys of their galleries. When I jumped out of the 9-5 job routine to produce and sell my own art, the pact I made with myself is that I would sell everything that I made. That I would give it up. That part of the process has been very successful! Now if I could just become the really great writer as well for all of the compelling copy I need for my enterprises…

Comment provided May 30, 2007 at 1:28 PM

Hi Chris! Very interesting question! Marketers versus writers! I think a writer can only win this battle if he/she will write his/her articles considerably well, in a way that they will be far superior from the marketers’ articles. Article writing is an art! The readers can understand which articles are written for massive exposition and they can recognize the good articles, written by expert authors or authorities in their fields. So, the writer has no hope to survive if his/her articles are mediocre! Of course the marketers’ articles are much better than the articles written by lazy writers!
If I had to give one piece of brief advice to non-marketer oriented expert writers to help them see the world through my marketing eyes when applied to article writing, I would recommend them to be very objective and focus in what they want to achieve with their work. Write about what people want to read. You can easily verify which articles have success immediately in the Internet. Test the results of your words and change your topics according to the preferences of your readers.

Comment provided May 30, 2007 at 1:50 PM

Kathy Lehan writes:

I am both a writer and a marketer. I personally struggle with trying not to go to far with the promotion side and feel that I err too much on the side of information. It’s hard enough to sell professional services over the internet because a service is all about a personal relationship between a consultant and client. I feel the information gives the reader a better sense of my competency as a consultant (or at least I hope so).

Comment provided May 30, 2007 at 1:51 PM

I see this problem all the time, not only with people who write articles, but with authors.

Far too many write the book, without taking the time to first identify the target audience, determine how to market to them, then create more things to upsell to them.

Comment provided May 30, 2007 at 1:59 PM

Will Kenny writes:

Alex Newell wrote about running out of ideas when trying to write an article a day.

I think this gets back to the challenge of reconciling those opposite ends of the technician vs. marketer spectrum. Sometimes people who are very comfortable with marketing can’t understand why some writers (or providers of any product/service) can’t get out there and do the marketing they need to, or infuse their work with a marketing slant.

And some people who can pound out good articles on a regular basis don’t really understand how hard it is for others to do that.

In short, the “just do it” advice won’t solve problems for these people, on either side. (I’m inclined to think that “just do it” pops out of our mouths most easily when “it” is something we already do fairly readily, and it is easy to overlook how hard it is for others to do the same.)

All that said, Alex, here are a few quick tips (and there are lots more in the EzineArticles directory, of course):

1) You can work up to an article a day, you don’t have to start there (and that’s really a pretty high output level, hardly the norm).

2) It WILL help if you write every day, preferably at a set time. Spend half an hour, or even less, writing about how you can’t come up with any ideas, every day, and eventually you’ll start to come up with some ideas.

3) Have an ideas folder. Those notions that pop into your head when you’re taking a walk or watching hockey (everybody does that, right?), scribble them down and throw them in a folder. And whenever you see someone else talking about a topic that interests you AND relates to your business, write it down. Then review those before your scheduled writing time (2 above).

Comment provided May 30, 2007 at 2:01 PM

Phillip Davis writes:

Hey Chris, this is where I would have to differ on volume vs. quality. I’ve written a mere 20 or so articles to date but each one has been carefully crafted to speak knowledgably to a specific audience. As a result of this approach I have had three articles appear in Entrepreneur.com (which continue to produce about a fourth of all my leads) as well as being syndicated to AOL Small Business and MSNBC. I would take this small handful of potent articles any day over a massive amount of quickly written, minimally useful articles. Again it comes down to the motive… is it for massive links and high ranking in hopes to flip a product or make a sale? Or is it in the interest of instilling confidence and trust to earn a lifelong customer. One is short term, the other long term. I’m betting on the tortoise.

Comment provided May 30, 2007 at 2:08 PM

Hello — 1st time poster, here. — Sorry if its too long. But …

I often wonder how many people in the marketing world GET how hard it is for a technician/creator of a product, service or system to switch to a marketing mindset? ESPECIALLY when that product, system, service is an expression of who that person is as a human being, not just something they decided to do because it would make money, and they found a viable niche on WordTracker. Having spent many thousands of dollars, and been to Jay Abraham and Dan Kennedy live seminars, and a WHOLE lot of other stuff, I see a VERY large gap.

For 30 years I heard, and bought (Book, Line & Thinker), the notion that all you had to do is … yes, build a better mousetrap. Work hard, be positive, provide a great product, etc., all that The Secret and Law of Attraction stuff. Yet, everyone who knew me said it was just a matter of time. They all said it was too valuable for it not to get discovered by someone who could help bring it to The World, or at least The People.

But when you have stuff that cannot be found anywhere on the internet, when it is TOO different than what everyone else is saying/doing, marketing becomes even more important. A very well known client of mine, a master of infomercials, told me what I was doing was not amenable to mass marketing. Too complex to be understodd by most, even though it seems ao amazingly obvious once you try it.

I finally, thankfully, gave up on waiting to be discovered. I have realized that in order to get discovered, I have to jump out in front of people and wave my arms and almost yell a little bit … but with finesse, of course.

What is missing out there is a Marketing Product that focuses on helping a person who is trying to bring this kind of product to market: To REALLY define who he or she is, to REALLY see their Unique Irresistable Value Offer, to create their Great Formula, and how to cultivate that to a REAL business. As it is, if WordTracker or other SEO technique does not find your niche to be viable, you’re out of luck. The marketers say, more-or-less, find another product that has better numbers.

Even though my area is in a few VERY large niches, my approach is considered almost the opposite of what most are teaching. I once had an editor try to edit my work, and they LITERALLY reversed the meanings of much of what I wrote because they assumed I meant what was assumed by everyone else to be the truth, and that I had mis-written my intentions.

Few, if any, marketers I have found will talk about, if they even know, how to take an unknown and bring it to the known. If the demand is not ALREADY there, they advise against pursuing it. They advise against pursing something where you are going to have to educate the market very much.

That’s okay, if finding the fast way to money is your only priority.

I THINK, however, that I’m starting to get it: how to write the initial stuff for the marketing value, then the follow-up stuff for the REAL, long-term value, and how to make the transition as smooth as possible. But I also know it took THREE YEARS before I could start to write something, then re-read it, and not say DARN, I did it again … I wrote the features, not the benefits.

Technicians have a hell of a time making that distinction, I think.

So, Chris, I am glad you are beginning to bridge that gap some, but I think there is a long way to go and a BIG opportunity to fill it in a LOT more. If I figure it out before I die, I might do it myself.

Thanks for Listening or Reading
David Scott Lynn

P.S. My current websites are just for practice to learn how to build them. I am completely revising them, in case anyone visits.

Comment provided May 30, 2007 at 2:18 PM

Liz Alderson writes:

Just my thoughts – but keyword research is important – use something free or paid for and put in your ‘seed’ word – then the list that pops up will tell you what people are searching for relating to your topic.

Remember, it’s ‘information’ on the internet – products come second unless you’re a famous brand name.

Being on ‘EzineArticles’ helps your article come towards the top in Google ;-) when people search the keywords you’ve used in your title and body of the article.

Keyword research is also a way to break the ‘writer’s block’ referred to earlier.

It’s a much better idea to write about what people are looking for than to make the market have what you want to give them.

Bye for now

Comment provided May 30, 2007 at 3:57 PM

Peter Phillips writes:

It may be a war, but the marketers are winning it.

With article marketing becoming mainstream, there are more and more articles being published, and most of them are marketing.

Most readers (apart from webmasters) come to the articles through the search engines, which will direct them to a marketing article, rather than one purely for information, which they can get on Wikipedia

Peter Phillips

Comment provided May 30, 2007 at 4:47 PM

David Banig writes:

Interesting article!
My approach is to write a number of articles that shows that I am an expert in the field of flexible packaging (plastic film and bags).
Then continue my writings on developments, ideas, consultant tips etc.
Then start to tie together advertising with marketing.
Like to hear more comments on how to become more successful at what I am trying to do.

Bye for now

Comment provided May 30, 2007 at 5:36 PM

Ty Ferrell writes:

Interesting article and comments here. I personally do not think there is much of a median. For the technical guys/gals, time IS the proving ground. You do your time and the trenches and build up. For the “marketeers”, it’s now, it’s impulsive, and it’s many of times warped half truths and so on. Mixing the two is like oil to water.

Comment provided May 30, 2007 at 6:04 PM

Andrew writes:

Great advice from everyone,

I too have been told that keyword research is the way to go. but not to go for the most popular but go for the one that are part of your sub keywords or long tail keywords.

Thanks for a interesting read.

Comment provided May 30, 2007 at 6:08 PM

Hello everyone,

So, how does identify the target audience and determine how to market to them?

An expert without expertise in marketing,

Comment provided May 30, 2007 at 6:14 PM

Lisa Angelettie writes:

This was a great post. Especially because it’s so true how you can see a great deal of difference between the marketers and the “authors” in a niche.

But it is important to realize that the two must intertwine to really succeed on the web. In order to be found organically (which is the best way) you need to consider some search engine optimization tactics (keywords etc.) BUT then in order to stand out and be considered an authority in your niche – you have to provide informative and somewhat intelligent content:) You have to at least appear as if you are passionate about your niche. Or most people will see right through you.

As a former New York Times writer and current web marketer — I understand that you could have one without the other — but when they are both together you have a wonderful marriage!

Much Success!

P.S. Here’s A Tip: I highly recommend researching HOW your prospects are searching for your topic on the web and write a majority of not all of your articles based on that, or basically you are just writing for yourself:)

Comment provided May 30, 2007 at 6:58 PM

It’s all about Active marketing. That’s doing as much face-2-face contacts as you can. Get out and meet potential customers, offer to speak locally and at regional conferences, get on the phone and offer your articles to appropriate publications. Read their publications and call (don’t email) editors to see if the information you’ve written fits their special needs. Volunteer to be on committees in professional organizations that your clients belong to. Activity is motivational.

Comment provided May 30, 2007 at 7:42 PM

I very much like this thought and examination between to distinct types of article authors that participate here. In considering only these two types of article authors, I have a thought.

All this is true of course, however if an Article Marketer is only concerned with one thing – traffic. Then often they will resort to key words which are in and around mass media appeal, thus they end up blending to what is, rather than what could be. This means current public perception of each domain and subject is being re-enforced to the point of nausea.

Not good or bad, and I certainly make no judgment, as I see many article authors who write some of both types of articles often enough, if a writer also understands article marketing, they stand to impact a lot more people getting them to their works in the first place. Perhaps more online video education is needed for the authors here?

A hybrid article author might be best for all concerned?

Comment provided May 30, 2007 at 9:08 PM

Edward Weiss writes:

My advice to the non-marketer oriented writers is simple: Write aritcles with the right keywords in the title.

See, I told you it was simple. :)

Comment provided May 30, 2007 at 9:51 PM

I agree with Edward, then copy and past the title into the key-word area and take out the non-essential words and separate them with a comma, consider a few more meaningful words to go along with those, done deal. Much better than wasting the opportunity to get more traffic.

Comment provided May 30, 2007 at 10:19 PM

Hannah writes:

Having started my own Article Directory, I see many sub standard articles submitted. Once there was an article from someone that was obviously not English, and had so many grammar and spelling mistakes that I just couldn’t approve that article. Normal spelling and grammatical errors we all make I overlook.

However, if we want our articles to be published by E-Zines, I do think the quality needs to be good. By all means, obsess about the keywords and getting people to click through to your site. However, I for one will not click on anyone’s link if the article doesn’t even have the basics like spelling, grammar and formatting correct. Because my business is just too important to me, I prefer my articles to be of a high quality. I feel that with a high quality article, I will attract a high quality client.

Thanks for an interesting article.

Comment provided May 31, 2007 at 1:01 AM

Manish Kochar writes:

This is definitely a very important subject.
I would like to share some of my thoughts, too.

I believe that, the heart of the matter in any case is the “content”. I think, I would be simply restating Christopher’s point, when I say that the difference in the two formats of writing is primarily the approach.
The duality will always exist specially for trade and business related subjects, and may even be true for subjects that are commercialised in the modern world.
A technically oriented writer (T) would strive to discuss on the needs, whereas a marketer (M) tries to focus on the wants. Simply put ‘T’ tries to critically appreciate a particular “genre”, and may be tune more people to a genre; whereas ‘M’ seeks to strengthen and protect a “brand”. In both cases, let’s not forget the activity of writing would be successful only if it benefits the reader. While the ‘T’ tries to sell an idea or a concept, ‘M’ has to focus on products, services and solutions built on the same ideas and concepts.
Remember, the horde of articles that were published, deriding the quality of sound vis-a-vis gramaphone records when Music CDs became first available in the market?

In modern times pace of innovation far excceds the learning abilities of buyers. The value of knowledge about a technology has a shorter life-span!

It quite leads to the natural argument that “a section of readers therefore would not be interested in the tech-talk.”

I am not suggesting that the tech-talk has no value. On the contrary it is extremely important, as it is the only way people could begin to appreciate the difference beteween “innovation” and “improvisation”.

In my early years of selling technology products, I used to be quite surprised, that the buyer considers, the vendor to be source of knowledge, rather than simply business proposals. I could sell, simply because people, realised, that I have enough knowledge about the related subject, and so I would be a better vendor! And today I am no more surprised that buyers basically get educated by vendors, and not from “academic institutions”.

A reader generally is considered to be a seeker of “means” to satisfy “need for consumption”.

The articles from ‘T’ help a reader to self-analyse needs and decide if it’s time to change the “genre”, whereas the content from “M” helps the reader decide if a particular “brand” is the best investment.

I therefore suppose, that no “war”, truly exists between these two different writers, because they basically supplement each other. The “contents” from both are extremely important, specially from the overall economic perspectives. More importantly both should show enough sincerity in their articles and objectives.

Comment provided May 31, 2007 at 2:46 AM

Keep it simple, make it key word rich specific to your niche market, track your results and surrender your ego by focusing on the reader’s needs not your own.

Comment provided May 31, 2007 at 6:58 AM

You asked how to identify your target audience and market to them?

Here’s a tip to get you started on that path:

Brainstorm for an hour and come up with a very detailed description of your ideal client. Think about both the demographics and the psychographics of your ideal customer to build a profile. Lastly, include who they are not as well as who they are so that you’ve narrowly defined who you want to sell to.

Comment provided May 31, 2007 at 8:18 AM

Shan Ferguson writes:

Being both a marketer anda writer,I find that it is easier for me to write about my particular field and about those Strategies that I myself use.Although I am currently in the process of setting up a New Site from which I will be offering Ghost writing services that will be awhile as I am still investigating the principles of Ghost writing as it is. I said in a recent article that you must advertise your product as much or more than your site and that is the truth,if you have 2000 visitors to your site in a day and none of them find what they want than it was a waste of their time as well as yours.

Comment provided May 31, 2007 at 9:29 AM

If the writers and article marketers would study how the other half lives, I bet they both might mean a lot. In fact, article markets could hone their writing skills and become more effective in reaching-out to the reader. Writers might get a lot more bang for their buck if they would realize some of the techniques of the article marketers.

I find writers sometimes get a little haughty, persnickety and feel they are a cut above. I find article marketers often go in for the kill too fast and miss the relationship building with the cliente. There is often also a touch of un-earned ego sometimes. Now I am not picking on anyone, just observing.

I think both type of people, that is to say if we decide to categorize them into only two-divisions have much to gain from EzineArticles and from cooperation here. Know your strengths, work to better any weaknesses which may or may not be present and move forward. Just a thought no need to reply to my personal comments.

Comment provided June 1, 2007 at 2:25 AM

Christopher writes:

Thanks for the Great Topic, Chris!

Here is ONE of the MAJOR differences between Marketer and the ‘common’ Writer:

Notice the Signature of the Article.

The Marketer USUALLY posts the ‘solution’ to the Article with a link to a website to sell them the ‘product.’

The ‘common’ Writer attempts to gain credibility about one’s self, such as:
“*I* have these GREAT Credentials, me me me, blah blah blah”

Why the Marketer Wins from THIS scenario alone:
The world, in general, thinks,
“Who Cares about such and such, HOW are HIS/HER credentials going to SOLVE MY PAIN/PROBLEM?”

The Marketer Provides the answer by placing a link to the ‘solution’ in place of the ‘credentials’ in the signature line.

Psychological warfare is the name of the game.

Without it, then it wouldn’t matter whether the marketer or the ‘common’ writer is the author of the article(s).

Just my .02 USDs.

Comment provided June 1, 2007 at 10:33 PM

I couldn’t agree more!

I love seeing benefit-driven Resource Box copy.

ps: Related:

Author Bio vs. Resource Box:

Resource Box Mistakes To Avoid:

Comment provided June 1, 2007 at 10:53 PM

Kevin Stirtz writes:

My advice to all of us who market with articles:

Forget about what you want.

Say something your audience is interested in. Put yourself in their shoes. Try to determine what you can write about that would get their attention.

As marketing writers we need to focus 110% on how we can help our readers. Of course we do this in the context of our business or profession. But make sure everything you write is intended to help them.

Great discussion Chris. Very helpful to this reader!

Comment provided June 2, 2007 at 11:47 AM

I was wondering the other day why the Competion hates EzineArticles so much and then I realized why. Because the customer and authors love it so much. All this great information in one place, this is the true home of Online Article Authorship, anything else is well, second rate.

This is why I believe whether you are a writer authoring articles or an online article marketer you are already a winner, every time you post another article here. Of course obviously, I speak from experience as a happy online article poster.

Comment provided June 2, 2007 at 6:41 PM

Here is a simple one from a point of view of marketers: Try to immagine in maximum detial the portrait of your audience.
Who are they?
Who are those whom you ideally would like to reach with your artilce?
And then once you have this poirtrait in mind – write for these people, as if you are having a conversation with them. Show them you understand them.

Comment provided June 3, 2007 at 2:37 AM

This is a really good and important discussion – Hope I can offer a worthy contribution.

Christopher in post #45 and Chris Knight in post #46 nail it – in general writers will write an “all about me” resource box while marketet will create an “all about you” benefits driven resource box.

So the first question that came to mind while reading this thread is

“Can’t you be both a writer and a marketer?”

Since I think the answer is yes, here’s my question I’d like to toss out to the group –

Which is more powerful – a writer that knows how to market or a marketer that knows how to write?

Comment provided June 3, 2007 at 12:21 PM

I think Jeff Herring makes a brilliant point when he poses the question of whether someone can be both a writer AND a marketer. We are all in the marketing business, no matter what type of business we are in.

Comment provided June 3, 2007 at 2:30 PM

Kelly Johnson writes:

Great topic to present for discussion; it is wonderful to have the chance to hear many points of view and approaches to this question.

I believe we can achieve both good writing and good marketing in our articles, and it is important to have the two go hand-in-hand. How you express and present yourself in your writing allows people to get to know you, but even the best written article will not get much exposure if some marketing is not put into effect.

We all have our strengths and areas of specialization. If writing is a skill in which you excel, perhaps consider collaborating with someone who specializes in marketing articles. The same is true for marketers; find a skilled writer to review your work.

Since starting my business almost three years ago, one of the aspects I discovered is that small business owners are supportive of each other. Some people may try to do everything on their own regarding their business, but even if we tried to learn 50 new things each day, we still wouldn’t necessarily have a strength in all the skills needed to build a business. By practicing from the theory of abundance and supporting each other, this presents a win-win situation for the parties involved: it allows the writer or marketer to receive assistance in the area that is not a strength for them and have a “stronger” final product, and it allows the person assisting the writer or marketer the opportunity for referrals. After all, one of the goals for many people in writing articles is to demonstrate their knowledge and expertise and how their product/service may be a benefit to others. This would just be another avenue in demonstrating that knowledge and obtaining exposure for your business.

Comment provided June 3, 2007 at 4:03 PM

Right on Kelly, Absolutely.

Comment provided June 3, 2007 at 4:35 PM

Ann Bradley writes:

Marketers are not waging a war – they are too busy monetizing their products, “passions”, or easily marketable ideas. They are goal oriented and do everything in terms of that goal including keeping up to date with SEO techniques, the competition, and the technology. If they get off course, they correct it and move on.

Words are the link between their product and the pocketbook of the consumer.

The very best goal oriented writers are political, military and religious. No one seduces with words better than those invoking the “divine”, or trying to get you to sign up for a war, or the next election. They do not begin sentences with “I believe that…” They command and demand your attention and do not dilute it with powerless phrases.

There is nothing wrong with academic writers. Nor with marketers. Comparing them is apples and oranges.

Comment provided June 3, 2007 at 6:31 PM

Angela Scott writes:

Remember people are attracted to the negative so use that option to answer in a positive manner and then present the answer in a question format. Otherwise, if people aren’t asking questions why would they want answers? Unless you market your information, how will people know your information exists?

Comment provided June 3, 2007 at 11:05 PM

Laurie Lacey writes:

Well, what a great series of posts! If you put them together as an ebook, you’d have a winner! :)

As a writer, I tend to be passionate about certain subjects. That’s a problem, because I tend to write about those passions, whether or not they are in hot selling markets.

A good example is an ebook I recently published. I just had to have it on the market, regardless of whether there was a market for it. Now, before you scold me severely for neglecting market research, let me say that the ebook was originally a hard copy publication. So, it had sold well locally, before going out-of-print.

Also, since I had already written the book, I figured it was an easy way to begin an ebook publication career. I still feel that way. I’m pleased that it’s out there with its own website. However, I now appreciate how difficult it can be to market something, without doing preliminary marketing research.

I’ve learned a valuable lesson. While I plan to continue writing in areas that I’m passionate about or that interest me greatly, I plan to do extra things such as keyword research. I also plan to post a survey form on my websites, asking for visitor feedback on topics of interest.

All the best!

Comment provided June 3, 2007 at 11:15 PM

Comment provided June 4, 2007 at 9:26 PM

That’s kind of trite Christina. Who are you to judge the gifts another human (be it writer or marketer) may posses? Just because they chose to go into a lucrative field does not mean they cannot also be a gifted writer.

Comment provided June 4, 2007 at 9:32 PM

Christina, it takes a lot to be a good writer and whereas I tend to agree with you, still I suppose it is difficult for me to say “never” as nothing is impossible? Who knows maybe someone here may turn out to be the next Isaac Asimov? We just cannot know that. Judging by my own writing, some 4.3 million words now, I can say I am definitely still work in progress.

Jennifer, I hear what you are saying and yes, I believe anything is possible, perhaps we should look for some examples to prove you right, that would be a treat and sense of inspiration for others in fact? It would be nice to see.

Comment provided June 4, 2007 at 10:07 PM

You are right Jennifer, because if someone has talent, he may discover he is a great writer someday, even though he is a marketer. It happens with people from any field. What I was saying was that only if you have talent you are a real writer, while you can learn how to be a marketer, even if you don’t have that talent. I can tell you that because I have a store for 15 years now, but I’m a writer. I only have to follow a few techniques and respect my customers. Almost anyone can learn how to become a marketer! That’s why there are so many marketers in this world!

Comment provided June 4, 2007 at 10:11 PM

Gregg Hall writes:

I was beginning to wonder when we would see the sheap shots begin to come out. The last couple of posts look more like a debate between Democrats and Republican.

As an artist, singer, writer, bodybuilder, marketer and much more I can say with total honesty that it is TOTALLY possible for a person to be extremely talented in more than one area.

To make a blanket statement like “A writer can become a real marketer, but a marketer can only imitate a real writer” is a very naive and ignorant statement. Who is the judge of the quality of a person’t work or ability? I say it is subjective, and for the purposes of earning a living on the internet, being an Isaac Asimov is neither necessary nor required.

Why don’t we return to where this thread started and do away with the attacks and sterotypical statements?

Comment provided June 4, 2007 at 10:22 PM

Hi Gregg

Agree with your points in your post, and want to point out that paragraphs 2 & 3 are the beginning of a great article.

Comment provided June 4, 2007 at 10:41 PM

Gregg, I enjoyed your comment about being good at many things, yes, me too actually, not the same things you are good at, yet “many” different areas that are non-related. So, of course someone can be good at many things, I can attest to that.

I have met a few writers now that I think about it who are excellent marketers, I can name 3, maybe 4. So your point is well taken. I am not sure I would call Christina’s comments a “cheap shot” as what she is saying is not 100% always true, it probably is generally true and thus as far as stereotypes it is better than most stereotypes? Maybe? What are your thoughts?

Oh and Jeff makes a good point, you have all the makings of a great article there?

Comment provided June 4, 2007 at 11:11 PM

Ann Bradley writes:

“The society which scorns excellence in plumbing because plumbing is a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy. Neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water.” John W. Gardner

In positive psychology we recognize core strengths in people and build on them rather than correct weaknesses. It is a faster path to success and happiness. It is called broaden and build – learn your strengths and use them as building blocks and broaden your abilities.

Comment provided June 5, 2007 at 12:03 AM

Allen Taylor writes:

I always love a good controversy. I guess that’s the journalist in me. lol

Christina sure knows how to spark a debate. Thanks Christina!

Samuel Taylor Coleridge delineated the difference between prose and poetry by pointing out that prose consists of words in the best order and that poetry is the best words in the best order. This has always been an inspiration to me, partly because I am a poet, but even in my prose I always seek to use the very best word for the context. I do this because I am first and foremost a writer. An excellent one, if I say so myself. But I’ll have to disagree with Christina’s premise that “almost anyone can learn” to be a marketer.

If by marketing you mean simply putting your product or service in the marketplace and saying, “Here it is,” then it is perhaps a true statement. But to say that anyone can become an effective marketer ignores a few facts, namely, that the majority of businesses go out of business within the first year and most of the survivors are gone before the fifth year. While there are many reasons contributing to this phenomenon, it would be negligent to omit the truth that most small business owners don’t have a clue as to how to go about marketing themselves. That doesn’t mean they are stupid.

This truth applies across the board – even to writers. Most writers aren’t very good at marketing themselves. I know. I work with them. They are my employees. But I’ve also seen some of the writing of many marketers. Quite frankly, I’ve seen few marketers who can write as well as I can. However, I have known some dynamite writers who are awesome marketers (Robert Bly) and have discovered some fabulous marketers who were excellent writers (Seth Godin). So no general truth is true in all circumstances.

I have had to learn in the past year-and-a-half that I cannot afford to spend time choosing the best words for every sentence. As a marketer, that isn’t a concern because I really just want people to hire me for my skills. Of course, I think I do need to have more polish on my articles than some marketers; after all, do you really care if your masseuse can spell? Nevertheless, good marketing requires skills beyond what words have to offer. You have to understand a little something about what makes people tick, what motivates them, and this is where a lot of writers fall short because knowing where to stick the comma doesn’t teach you that.

I’d have to say that marketing and writing really have nothing to do with each other except in a few cases where you have to use writing to get your marketing message across to your target audience (article marketing, blogging, brochures, etc.). Otherwise, they are two completely different worlds. And anyone who has ever tried to brand a product or service in the marketplace understands that, or should.

Comment provided June 5, 2007 at 6:03 AM

Allen, my good man – one of the markers I search for in good prose is does it evoke in me unexpected emotion, and the following “right words in the right order” caused me to burst out laughing unexpectedly

“and this is where a lot of writers fall short because knowing where to stick the comma doesn’t teach you that.”

which is why Dave Barry is one helluva great writer!

Thanks Allen

Comment provided June 5, 2007 at 6:21 AM

Allen Taylor writes:

Thanks for the compliment! And I wasn’t even trying to be funny, which is probably why Dave Barry is so good at what he does.

Yes, I like Dave too! He is a great writer and a great humorist, which is a special talent in itself. A humorist has to know what makes people laugh before he can succeed and that’s where Dave has a leg up.

The marker you spoke of is what Aristotle called catharsis. All great writing must spark emotion. It must. Whether it be a laugh, a tear, jerking out the checkbook, or compelling you to run naked through the woods (OMG, did I type that out loud?). And Dave Barry certainly does that (not the running naked through the woods part, how would I know?). As did Oscar Wilde, who said he worked all morning to take out a comma then worked all afternoon to put it back in. My wife says I’ve learned a lot from Oscar (I should keep my fingers off the keyboard).

Comment provided June 5, 2007 at 7:13 AM

Christina S,

A marketer is almost never concerned with becoming a “real writer”, but rather they dream in copy, keywords, emotional triggers, and invest their time in mastering words that influence…

One could also argue that a good writer already is a good marketer because he or she knows how to research what the reader wants and presents the information as ‘answers’ to the readers problems or wants/desires.

A poor writer is oblivious to what the reader wants from him or her in terms of content.

Marketing is about demand generation. The best writers of Earth are masters at creating demand for their works because they’ve satisfied and seduced their readers.

I’ll admit that I spun the tone of this blog entry to speak directly to writers who were not marketers at heart so that they could become motivated to understand what the marketers know that they don’t know or know, but don’t act on yet.

Hey, no one caught that I was side-referencing Michael Gerbers book, the E-Myth! …when I referenced the “technician.”

Ann B,

Nice quote by Gardner!

And so true that we should not go through life primarily focusing on correcting weaknesses as we can often find others to fill those roles so that we can hyper-develop our own unique strengths.

Allen likes to run naked through the woods? …begs the question if you run naked through the woods and no one sees you, did you really just do that?

..not that there is anything wrong with that. :-)

Comment provided June 5, 2007 at 7:30 AM

Hi Gregg! Sorry for delaying to answer you, but our time zones differ a lot! I’m in Greece.
I didn’t want to attack anyone! I was just trying to give a conclusion.
I guess you misunderstood the word ‚¬“imitate‚¬.
I’m a writer, but I imitate the good marketers in my store. I imitated the best scientists in my scientific work. To imitate is necessary if you don’t have a special talent doing something. Of course people can have many different talents, but we were talking here about marketers that are only marketers and writers that are only writers, and then about the perfect combination.
Who writes better? A writer. So, everybody else imitates the writers when they write. If they have talent, then they are writers too.
Marketers that are only marketers imitate the writers when they write articles, even though they develop their own style. Writers can easily learn how to be good marketers. This opinion is based on my experience with many marketers while I’m a marketer too, but mainly a writer. I believe it’s easier to be a marketer if you don’t have any skill or if you are inclined to prefer to do other things, than to be a writer if you don’t have any talent. However, you can learn the techniques and imitate the writers, being almost as good as they are or perhaps even better in other important points of article writing. A marketer will never be an artist, while an artist can easily become a real marketer, since it’s easier to sell a product that to produce one. Usually however, a talented writer doesn’t want to learn how to be a good marketer. It’s hard to find the perfect combination!

Dear Chris, your definition is perfect! I’m learning a lot with you and your blog! It’s always helpful to read what each one here has to say!

Comment provided June 5, 2007 at 10:16 AM

Gregg Hall writes:

What I was trying to get across is the practice of making a one sentence comment that can be considered offensive and inflamatory to others.

I try to post information that is helpful and relevant while not stating opinions that may be insensitive to others.

There is an old southern saying here in the U.S that goes like this, “There is more than one way to skin a cat”.

I think that old, albeit a little bizarre saying definitely holds true with article marketing!

Jeff, thanks for the kind comments. I have attempted to contact you before for possible JV partnerships.

Comment provided June 5, 2007 at 10:57 AM

I’ve read all the comments. I don’t see any difference between a writer who markets, or a marketer who writes.

As a published author of over 350,000 books sold I am a writer because people buy my books. Yes, I have spent thirty-five years building my craft, writing every day almost, but unless my books sell I am no writer. Writing words that do not sell well does not mean you are a writer.

My definition of a writer is a person who has developed their writing craft so strongly that large numbers of people buy their books.

I differ with a lot of people who call themselves writers, and have even published, but whose books don’t sell.

Seven out of ten new books published fail to make money for author or publisher. That’s not successful writing or publishing.

The New York Times reports recently that people in the publishing industry do not know what a best seller is until it sells well and makes money.

I don’t know if writer-marketers make money by selling a product. They claim they do usually.

I write for money. I write a product that sells. I write good product that people want in large enough numbers to pay me for my time.

I am a writer, not a marketer. I don’t market my work as the primary thing. I write good product.

This is what I call the reality factor. A writer is not a writer who does not make product that sells well. Money is the reality test.

If you produce money with your product then you must have superior skills as a writer. Only the best in writing craft generate money with their books.

What do article writers generate? I don’t know.

Comment provided June 5, 2007 at 11:06 AM

Dear Gregg,

Perhaps I didn’t choose the right words to express my ideas. Forgive me if I hurt you, I had no intention to hurt anyone.
The subject here is ‚¬“writers versus marketers: who should win?‚¬ My opinion is that the writers have more possibilities to win because they are also artists and they can write superior articles, while they can also easily learn how to be very good marketers.
A marketer can learn how to be a writer and write good articles, but not as special as the articles that expert writers can write. He can do his job very well however, and even have better results selling his products through article writing than the very good writer that doesn’t know how to market his books.
What I was saying is that the writers shall win the battle because they have talent. Talent counts a lot sometimes: it’s an advantage an expert writer has if we compare him with a marketer. You cannot acquire literature talent studying.

Comment provided June 5, 2007 at 11:43 AM

Gregg Hall writes:

Christina, I am only going to post one this once more. I never said you hurt me.

My point was ALL about making a one sentence inflammatory, blnket statmement, ” A writer can become a real marketer, but a marketer can only imitate a real writer.”

I also agree with Strephon above. I have been writing for over 30 years in a wide variety of subjects and the topics I write about have always been in great demand. I am sure that there are writers out there as equally talented as many Pulitzer prize winners and more that have never seen their works published due to their lack of marketing skills.

It doesn’t matter if you are the best or most talented at anything if no one knows about it.

Comment provided June 5, 2007 at 12:40 PM

Afte reading all the well thought out posts, 3 thoughts immediately surface. First, what is the purpose? Many in business fail because they do not know how to market their products or services. This becomes even a greater challenge when the Internet is thrown into the marketplace. I began writing articles as a marketing strategy specifically designed for the Internet.

Second, is one better than the other? Absolutely, not because both can build upon each other. What I have learned is that the more I write, the better I think and the better I think the more I write. This all adds value to my clients and consequently more money in the bank. Additional value is that my creatively is constantly being challenged and fueled because I am now focused on the potential customer and not me.

A wise man once told me that if you spend one hour per day for the next 365 days you can become an expert on almost anything – brain surgery not included. So even those not gifted with either writing or marketing skills can become experts in those respective fields.

Third, there are many good writers (as well as other artists) out there who have never been read (watched, heard, etc.) because they failed the old AIDA marketing test.

First, attract attention. That is why books covers are so critical.

Second, create interest. If you don’t have my interest by the title, the inside of the book jacket or at least in the first page, forget it.

Third, develop desire. Desire (emotion) is the foundation and directly links to each of the other 3 elements. Nobody wants to be sold, but everbody loves to buy.

Fourth, an Action, call to must be included. This may be a special offer such as Dan Kennedy’s or Gitmer’s at the end of their books; a continuing storyline such as the Harry Potter’s series; an email address or look for next book to be available…

What this discussion has revealed to me is that as a professional service provider, I must be able to demonstrate competency in a highly competitive niche market. To do that, I must be that red jacket in the crowd of gray suits.

Comment provided June 5, 2007 at 2:16 PM

You are right Leanne! Thank you for your helpful and objective presentation! You really examine everything and your criteria are very sensible. We don’t have to have a winner in this battle. A writer and a marketer can both be the best ones on article writing, according to what they conquer with their work. I guess I was wrong on thinking that the articles written by real writers have better results than the articles written by marketers.

Comment provided June 5, 2007 at 3:15 PM

Would y’all say that sometimes the line between article writer and article marketer is significantly blurred to the point of an irrelevant definition or separation of the two?

Comment provided June 5, 2007 at 3:26 PM

Hi Lance

One comment and one question, both in reference to your post above –

Comment – Yes I would agree with your statement, because I believe that those that are the best at this game are both article writers and article marketers.

Question – Do you know what the plural of ya’ll is?

Comment provided June 5, 2007 at 3:36 PM

They are completely different, but both are very good on what they do. We can distinguish them but cannot say which one of them is the best one. This is our general conclusion in the end.

Comment provided June 5, 2007 at 3:43 PM

Gregg Hall writes:

I think that blurring the line is the hoped for result.
As a marketer you want your writing to stimulate a desire to visit your website and take a specific action whether it be buying a product or subscribing to a list. We also want the article to be written well enough that that intent does not come across as a sales letter.

To answer for Lance, ya’ll would be you all for what I understand. Funny growing up here in Florida even my English teachers use that!!!

Comment provided June 5, 2007 at 3:47 PM

I reckon all’ya’all are right all write.

Comment provided June 5, 2007 at 3:54 PM

Gregg –

As a fellow veteran of North Florida (26 years in Tallassee, 1980 – 2006) now living in Atlanta, you and I both know that North Florida is a completely different state than the rest of Florida, Tallahassee area sometimes referred to as SOGANOFA (South Georgia – North Florida) or your area sometimes referred to as a suburb of LA (Lower Alabama)

Lance – yep, the plural of ya’ll is “all ya’ll” and even more so here in Atlanta.

And that is all I have to say about that…

Comment provided June 5, 2007 at 4:08 PM

Gregg Hall writes:

I was raised right here in the Florida Panhandle and after spending a little time in other areas in southern Florida, I would be nowhere else.

You spoke true, our area is much different, it hasn’t yet been over taken by people from other states!

If you haven’t visited Navarre Beach, you are missing one of the best kept secrets in the country!

Comment provided June 5, 2007 at 4:12 PM

Gregg –

Of the 26 years I spent in Tallahassee, at least 2 years worth of time was spent soaking up the beauty of everything from St. George Island to Navarre Beach – ssshhhhhhh – keep the place a secret!

Comment provided June 5, 2007 at 4:22 PM

I have always considered the Tallahassee market much different than all other parts of Florida. I know when we set up franchises all over Florida, I always enjoyed Tallahassee and the surrounding areas. Having set up franchises all over GA, FL and a couple in AL, I very much agree with all you are saying.

Comment provided June 6, 2007 at 7:51 PM

Susan Scharfman writes:

Jeff Herring, you asked the question I have pondered many times. “!A writer that knows how to market or a marketer that knows how to write?” Chris’ topic has generated great responses.

I don’t know ‘diddly squat’ about marketing and it shows. My career did not lend itself to that need. But I AM a happy writer. As a keen observer though, I think you’d have to agree, our society lives and breathes on MARKETING. It is all about MARKETING, from toothpaste to electing a president. So it would seem that if a writer wants to be commercially successful he/she must know how to market. When I was actively marketing my book I sold a lot. It’s that simple. An excellent marketer can be an okay writer and be very successful. But an okay writer? Ahem! Thanks for all the good input. Susan

Comment provided June 12, 2007 at 3:25 PM