Summary From Authority Authoring Thread

Due to the high popularity with the (Just an Author or The Authority?) thread, I figured if you’re short on time, you might benefit from a summary of the tips shared:

• Write about what you know and be aware of the pervading societal viewpoints around your topic (Dina Giolitto)
  • Coming from a place of authority is coming from a place of authentic conviction. (Dr. Yukio Strachan Phillips)
  • If someone “re-hashes” general subject matter, it is not informative or useful to the readers. (Paul Jerard)
  • Deep convictions do not an authority make. There are those who have deep convictions based on faulty logic, leading us to expert idiots. (Ann)
  • Anytime I click on an article’s author to see if he/she has more articles I might like I know I am reading an authority’s article. (Rick C. Kern)
  • To write from a place of authority, in addition to knowing the subject matter, a writer ought to be able to seduce the reader, with facts, language and style. The degree to which he or she is successful at inter-weaving those three elements, will directly impact their credibility as an authority. (Hermas Haynes)
  • “Authoritarian” is also etymologically linked or a derivative of the word “Author.” (Chris Knight)
  • (Active = authorative. Passive = unsure.) (Cheryl Wright)
  • …You give the reader confidence that you are the expert and authority by presenting the facts intelligently with wit, humor and accuracy. (Robert Ritter)
  • …there are 2 kinds of authority – “perceived” authority and “real” authority. Both are important for me to deem someone as a true authority. (Denise Corcoran)
  • Personally I prefer people with really good questions. The kind that make you say “Whoa, I never thought about that.” A good question can really provide the opportunity for someone to change. (Kip Winsett
  • It’s not up to me to call myself an authority or to use words to sell myself as some authority. This would inflate my ego because personally I long to be recognized. I must curb this tendency and simply do the hard work of study and research in my field and see if I come up with something of help to others. (Strephon Kaplan-Williams)
  • What is an authority? Not someone with information only. Someone who can also define the problem for you… (Strephon Kaplan-Williams)
  • No matter how “expert” someone is, if their work is littered with spelling and/or grammatical errors, they lose credibility, and the site which promotes their work loses credibility too. (Christine Sutherland)
  • The future of EzineArticles is at stake because we must figure out a way to help our readers identify the truly expert content vs. the thinly written non-truly-expert content. (Chris Knight)
  • Everyone wants to be thin, but is it unhealthy for your online article marketing endeavors to be too thin? (Lance Winslow)
  • The website URL link in the authors resource box is also a very important determinant of the authors authority. The active link in the authors resource box either sells the reader further on the confidence they should have in the author or the lack thereof… (Chris Knight)
  • With more visibility to higher stat articles driven by the reader, you will give authors incentives to produce quality articles. (Denise Corcoran)

Shan Ferguson writes:

As for myself I do not try to proclaim myself an expert,or some all knowing authority about anything.I make it a point to try and learn something new every day and if you try hard enough you can,to my point of view anyone who claims to know everything about any given subject has much to learn.

Comment provided May 23, 2007 at 11:16 AM

Chris, you rock for doing this. :)

I was getting really lost in the original discussion, not to say that it didn’t provide value for those who were entrenched in the debate.

This is perfect – I mentioned on my blog last month that I “think in bullets” and this goes right along with my style.

I’m also glad that you’ve finally helped me notice Kip Winsett’s remarks.

I do agree, I’m always impressed when an author helps me to “see things in a new light” by posing thought-provoking questions.

I think that your summary of key points reflects what some like to call “easily digestible bits of information,” which is a key component in effective website copywriting.

So: thanks.

Comment provided May 23, 2007 at 11:38 AM

Thanks Dina.

Yeah, I got lost also in the depth of the discussion… so this summary bullet points was something I had to do for myself… to keep track of the highlights.

It’s a catch 22 for sure because sometimes it takes some rambling to flush out the key critical issue or tip at hand.

Comment provided May 23, 2007 at 12:01 PM

Rick C. Kern writes:

Since my comment is included that must make me an expert?

Great Thread and thanks.

There was definitely some rambling in this post.

Comment provided May 23, 2007 at 3:13 PM

Executive Summaries are a great business tool. I see the problems with the long-winded responses, yet, I see that many writers, “write to think” and actually there is a psychological reason for this. Moving your fingers actually helps the brain think, same reason kids tap their pencils on the desk in school and it has something to do with why learning to play a musical instrument is not as hard as it looks.

Comment provided May 23, 2007 at 3:42 PM

Jan writes:

Clarification and bullet points are quite welcome. I appreciate this list of helps.

I’ve always believed that expert status is not so much a what you know but do you know how to find the solution. With the internet, research is just a click or two away, if you have a clue what the question is.

That maybe why many of my articles start with questions.

Comment provided May 23, 2007 at 6:09 PM

Jan, this is an excellent point. I have thousands of articles now which start with questions, because I KNOW that many people type questions into the search bars to find answers. And I know that when someone asks me a questiona and I have the answer that there are millions more with the same question. Thus it makes sense if you are called upon as an expert to answer a question that you take that question and your answer and make it into an article to help people. The Internet is perfectly set up for that too.

Comment provided May 23, 2007 at 6:18 PM

David Phillips writes:

Are you an opinion leader or a human wikipedia? And what are people looking for, hard facts or some views to justify their decisions or outlook on life?

Comment provided May 24, 2007 at 9:12 AM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

Thanks Lance, I know my answers to the questions are often different than someone else’s may be, but the question can bring up a variety of responses.

David, I’m an opinion leader, who often has logical, sound, and solid answers. Or I find someone who does.

Comment provided May 24, 2007 at 11:05 AM

David Phillips writes:

Your dasein certainty of the world leaves no room for the aesthetic, which many readers may want to enjoy. Perhaps we need focus more on what readers feel as well as think.

Comment provided May 24, 2007 at 11:31 AM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

I suppose if we consider emotional being, it could be considered intimate relationship? Or maybe we could ask for approval, before we give opinion?

Being politically correct isn’t my style. I suppose I could worry it a bit more, but ultimately, my style would still be pretty much, take it or leave it.

If I start reading something I don’t like, unless I choose to be inspired by it, I often just abandon it, because I choose not to go that direction.

The state of existence, either adamant or passive is still my choice. I feel compeled to make a choice, which is my opportunity.

And you?

Comment provided May 24, 2007 at 12:06 PM

DrywombRomy writes:

I need some help. I want to implement one project but I have a problem: please give me some useful links to the websites where I can make my own website for free. I really appreciate any help.

Comment provided October 11, 2011 at 11:18 PM