Marriage and Wedding Experts

EzineArticles Expert Author Shel Taylor told us that from her experience in the marriage field, that our categorization of “Marriage-Wedding” as one single category was wrong. This wasn’t the first time we’ve heard that so we decided to investigate further and here’s what we found:

Of all of the articles in the Marriage-Wedding category, 73% had the words “Marriage or Marry” or “Wedding” in the title… but that didn’t tell us the whole picture, so we drilled further into the 73% and found:

• 85.1% were articles with “Wedding” in the title but not “Marriage or Marry”
  • 14.4% were articles with “Marriage or Marry” and not “Wedding”
  • .5% were articles with both Wedding and Marriage/Marry in the title

This research showed us that not only was Shel right, but that we should immediately separate the two categories into two new separate and almost unrelated sub-categories.

Today friends, family and fellow expert authors, as we’re gathered together…wait, ;-) We’re proud to announce two new Relationship subcategories: Wedding and Marriage

Jennifer Thieme writes:

Good call. A wedding is very different from a marriage! The first is a ceremony with a celebration following; the second is a lifelong committment.

Comment provided May 29, 2007 at 11:01 AM

Great suggestion Shel and great response Chris and team!

Jeff

Comment provided May 29, 2007 at 11:16 AM

Shan Ferguson writes:

Being as Karie and I were Married at a church here in town with our Kids her Dad the Pastor and his Wife being the only ones present I would agree with Jennifer,a few weeks later at the same church was a “wedding”with about 150 people present and the biggest party I have ever seen in town yet complete with sheriff’s visit during the process so to me a “marriage” is less hassle and far more meaningful.

Comment provided May 29, 2007 at 11:20 AM

Chinmay Chakravarty writes:

To Jennifer Thieme

Would you please differentiate futher?

After marriage what would be the anniversaries
called? Wedding anniversary or marriage anniversary?

How is wedlock is different from marriage vow or commitment?

What about the dictionaries that give ‘wedding’ as a synonym for marriage and vice versa?

How would the new categories help EzineArticles?

Comment provided May 29, 2007 at 11:51 AM

Edward Weiss writes:

It must be hard when to stop with dividing categories. I mean, you could actually divide the “Wedding” category even further – i.e. “Pre-Wedding Planning” “Post-Wedding To Do’s” and so on.

Comment provided May 29, 2007 at 2:53 PM

Jennifer Thieme writes:

Hello Chinmay,

The anniversary is the “wedding anniversary.” It’s an anniversary celebrating the day when the vows were taken.

“Wedlock” is marriage.

My experience is that a “wedding” is very different from a “marriage,” regardless of what the dictionaries say. I would never say, “After 19 years, my wedding is going better than ever!” That doesn’t make sense. But this does make sense: “After 19 years, my marriage is going better than ever.” See the difference?

I’m not sure specifically how it helps EzineArticles, but I think clarifying a catagory can’t be a bad thing.

Comment provided May 30, 2007 at 11:17 AM

Chinmay Chakravarty writes:

Hello Jennifer

Yes, I agree on this particular instance. But at the same time I prefer to say ‘my marriage anniversary’. I also prefer to say ‘my marriage took place…’ or ‘I got married…’.

The point is of usage. For me the division of the categories is thus superficial. Only one category, either ‘wedding’ or ‘marriage’ would cover everything.

Comment provided May 30, 2007 at 1:41 PM

Vrian Brogan writes:

Hello everyone,

” Wedding” is used as a noun and a verb.
” Marriage” is only used as a noun.

Well it is in the dictionary I have.

So with a category like say “sport” we also have a sub category “golf, tennis etc”, so having both “marriage and wedding under “Relationships” would not be out of place.

This could help EzineArticles distribute more articles through more targeted groups bringing more on topic visitors to our sites.

All in all a good call Chis and team.

Comment provided May 30, 2007 at 2:30 PM

Since 77% of the marriages end in divorce, I guess it is about time that one of the categories got split up?

Comment provided May 30, 2007 at 9:11 PM

blake writes:

Most publishers of wedding articles have absolutely no interest in the how-to-save/improve/bulletproof your marriage articles, and vice versa, I’m sure. A great choice.

Comment provided May 30, 2007 at 11:08 PM

Chinmay Chakravarty writes:

Fantastic byte, Sir!

But do you mean to split the weddings or the marriages?

Anyway, it’s all very complicated!

Comment provided May 31, 2007 at 12:54 AM

Well here are my thoughts now that you have prompted a larger response. A wedding category is about an event, it is about planning, attire, family get together, good times, etc.

A marriage is about a commitment, emotion and far-reaching love in many cultures. So, since the two categories were never really compatible and the marriage was never fully consumated it is just as well that it is annulled now.

Comment provided May 31, 2007 at 3:32 AM

Shan Ferguson writes:

Actually when I read the posts I started to wonder is there really such a thing as an authority on Marriage?

Comment provided May 31, 2007 at 8:26 AM

Jhong Ren writes:

Yes, it is a good choice as now my articles are more streamlined into the appropriate category. :)

Comment provided May 31, 2007 at 9:21 PM

Lisa writes:

It’s very appropriate to separate these into 2 categories as marriage is usually connoted with married life (relationships) while weddings are more of an event (society). I’m very happy with this move my ezine as I sometimes had difficulty deciding which category I should submit my wedding articles to.

Comment provided June 1, 2007 at 8:02 PM