Write Aspirationally

I bet no one has ever encouraged you to “write aspirationally”… until now. :)

An “aspiration” is the will to succeed or the desire to contemplate [your] dreams in a hopeful manner. It also means biologically to draw in air, to breathe or aspirate…but I really want you to key in on the “to aspire” side meaning of this word.

When you write aspirationally, it means that you are using your words to inspire others, to motivate, to encourage, to coach, and to help the reader feel better about him or herself after having read your article…knowing they can tackle a problem or dream with a higher sense of personal confidence.

While you’ll see this style of writing in our Self-Help section, especially the Inspirational articles, this inspirational tone and intent can easily apply to any article that gives the reader encouragement.

What do you think? Should our experts write more aspirationally or is “aspirationally” just a big dumb word that no one uses?

Barbara Techel writes:

I think aspiration means to write from your heart. To make the reader feel better from your life experience or what you have learned is so rewarding. I try very hard to write from my heart, or as you say, aspirations. So, far it has been extremely rewarding.
I think there is no better way to write.

Comment provided April 19, 2007 at 3:17 PM

Kathy Holmes writes:

Very interesting topic today. I know I draw a lot of blog readers because the tone of most of my blog posts is inspirational. People leave comments and/or send email thanking me for inspiring them. It’s very rewarding. But I also wouldn’t mind if I could turn that praise into bigger book sales. :)

Comment provided April 19, 2007 at 3:19 PM

I LOVE this. It is what my newsletters are about.

The thing that is so amazing about writing inspirational things is that it gives you as the author a boost as well.

I wrote to my subscibers a thank you and gave them a little gift not long ago. My readers give back to me simply by being there. I am forced to think in an inspiring way even when I don’t feel like it. Ahhh it a lot like the secret i guess.

I have written some articles to inspire, I think, I hope. I will continue because I love getting that gift back.

Today though I am posting my article about how to eat Hawaiian poi and enjoy it. Humm I wonder if I can add some inspiring words there? Maybe not. ha ha.

Comment provided April 19, 2007 at 3:57 PM

Keith Renninson writes:

Chris,

Life is just better when you think in inspirational or aspirational terms…your Law of Attraction buzz is stronger and you attract people and experiences that coincide with that type of thought.

The readers of my postings on my websites seem to find the positive tone encouraging and tell me regularly about it.

Yes, I think all authors should try to build strength into their readers aspirations because everyone has the same opportunity, if they have the necessary support to achieve their goals.

We collectively as a group of writers here at EZ have a tremendous opportunity, and almost an obligation, to promote good self-esteem and self-awareness so that our readers will aspire to greatness in there lives. That will also bring a higher quality to the articles, with more forethought to content, with the intent to help others and the energy for growth.

Thanks for this positing,

Keith……

Comment provided April 19, 2007 at 4:47 PM

Here is what I think writing “aspirationally” does – it opens minds, it opens hearts, and it opens wallets. It also helps people to know, like and trust you.

So why would you not write in this way?

Couple of extra thoughts – while the secret – the law of attraction works, it’s just “feel good stuff” unless and until you also apply the law of action.

If you break up the word “aspirationally” in a certain way you get

“Aspire – Rationally”

Something worth considering……….

Comment provided April 19, 2007 at 7:12 PM

You are all right remembering us about that. If we actualy want make some difference, we should think more about inspiring people to do things better than showing just what we know.

Comment provided April 19, 2007 at 7:15 PM

Albert writes:

Hi Chris,

You mean kind of like this…

Comment provided April 19, 2007 at 7:22 PM

I am hereby in favor of ‚¬“writing aspirationally‚¬ and agree with all the commentors and the Blog poster. So onward and upward my fellow article authors.

Comment provided April 20, 2007 at 3:31 AM

Chris,

If you look at Maslow’s hierarchy–level 5 is “Self-Actualization”. It seems to me there are actually two levels self-actualization works at in humans.

The first level is “best-skill specific”; if a person is a good writer, then when they are writing well, they can get into the zone and feel as though they were doing what they were meant to do all along. We might call this “Vocational” Self-Actualization.

But, as I’ve lived longer and started to help other people out (contrary to my own self-centered nature), I’ve come to experience a second level of Self-Actualization which comes just through helping others. This doesn’t tie in to using a specific skill-set a person may posses, such as writing; rather this is simply related to the act of giving to another person without external reward. This is a form of “non-vocational Self-Actualization.”

When we, as writers, try to combine the two, we can really experience a double-win. We are doing what we love–writing–and in the act of trying to help others, we ourselves are rewarded in the act of giving.

Of course, Maslow is given a very narrow glossing-over in most marketing books.

Comment provided April 21, 2007 at 4:21 PM

Craig,

Maslow’s hierarchy of needs should probably be updated for this century. :)… but I still see value in his theories.

In fact, one could apply a “Maslow’s” filter when reviewing articles because the best content usually comes from authors who don’t need the traffic or exposure (self-actualization needs) while some of the lowest quality content comes from authors desparate for the traffic, attention and revenue they hope to generate from their articles (basic to safety needs).

Comment provided April 21, 2007 at 4:53 PM

Chris,

Good point. And I find I often need to apply that filter to myself when writing my own articles.

When I’m in “hurry up and crank out an article”-mode I definitely turn out lower-quality work. And yes, that lower-quality is a result of basic-safety needs.

Comment provided April 21, 2007 at 5:18 PM

Oh my gosh, are we back to talking about quality vrs quantify again?

Maybe the key is to make sure one feels uplifted by ones own words before posting them.

A thought:

Some people are just gifted and can write words of wisdom and insight that just roll off their tongues or onto their keyboards. I can see where articles might be written with the best of intentions, because it is human nature to reach out. Some will say nothing at all to some people and not be well recieved. We are all at different levels and stages in life. I could be one of those fledgelings and not even know it.

I think that is why each writer should ask themself if they are indeed uplifted by what they write. If they are, then no matter their level, there will be someone to receive their message who is at that same level.

I saw a cooking show this morning teaching people how to make a graham cracker crust… basic to some but not to all.

?? Maybe??

Comment provided April 21, 2007 at 5:47 PM

A good replacement for Graham Cracker Dust is Dried Goji berries crushed to a powder.

In fact it makes a great dip when mixed with Virgin Olive Oil, garlic spices and Bell’s Pizza Punch.

You can use it for dip for vegitables like carrots, bell peppers, artichoke heart, cauliflower, celery, broccoli.

One recommendation is to mix some Ginseng dust by breaking apart a capsule. The special sause I call it works well on BLT with avacado or mixed with salsa and/or guacamole for a great dip too.

You can eat this while writing articles and you will have brain food and energy to write “lots of articles” and still maintain quality and become a self-actualized writer like….

Comment provided April 21, 2007 at 6:25 PM

Now this is what I LOVE about EZ Blog

Lance!

Lance you crazy guy!

HUGE SMILE

I think after reading the poor quality of my last statement with the typos, etc, I do indeed need some brain food. My pitiful excuse being that a voice yelled out,

“Can I have a sandwich?”

I clicked my mouse before determining my comments worth and yelled back,

“OK”

Lance what the heck is a Goji berry? Cook that you are, I noticed you are in the top 10 for recipes after I entered my how to enjoy poi article. Brain food here I come.

Comment provided April 21, 2007 at 6:51 PM

Do you come from a Land Down Under, where high quality soars and quantity without plunder…

I will offer you a bite of sandwich; Vegemite.

Well, I made some spelling errors in my post to see if anyone would notice. My thoughts are quality is important. But most important are the wisdom within and the pearls of wisdom that abound.

Everyone should strive for quality and quantity and a killer sandwich or great dip for chips or the unlimited vegetables we are allowed to eat without gaining weight.

Comment provided April 21, 2007 at 7:00 PM

High Quality High Volume Article Writers & Marketers…………

“Can’tcha hear, can’tcha hear them thunder!?”

Comment provided April 21, 2007 at 7:20 PM

Indeed and I have One Thing to SAY for those who write articles and do not post them at EzineArticles.com which is the best group of authors ever assembled in the History of mankind – and that is;

“You better run, you better take cover – Oh yah, oh yaaaa!”

Comment provided April 21, 2007 at 7:25 PM

Too funny Lance. I noticed your typo but was not in the position to point it out considering. I read that sentence 3-4 times trying to see how and if it could possibly make any sense. I wouldn’t say anyway because you do write with quality.. normally!

Jeff… is there a tune to that?

There we go, we must have a Ezine Article song.

We can all record our version and send them to a studio who will then combine our voices and put them on a cd.

We will all be rich!

“We are the world, we are the writers … la la la”

Comment provided April 21, 2007 at 7:28 PM

Kathy – Both the lyrics Lance used and that I use come from a Men at Work song called “The Land Down Under” – gotta love the 80’s!

Comment provided April 21, 2007 at 7:44 PM

Dear “Writers @ Work,”

I would like to discuss quantity and quality and listening to music while you write. Sometimes music helps in creative thinking for some people. You should listen to songs you like. Such as the 80’s on 8 on XM Radio. But for editing; if you are going to listen to music, listen to Classical at a low volume. This prevents typos and mistakes.

Often a writer editing their own work will read through mistakes if there are any distractions in the back ground, as their minds start thinking about what they are reading rather than the exactness.

I think this will help you with quality and the music may help you with quantity, motivation and happiness while you write? It does not work for everyone all the time, but for some it helps them slip into and stay in the zone, no matter where they are. Ask one of the top authors; Mr. Michael Russell from Australia.

Depending on the type of writing you are doing and your mode, time of day (based on circadiam rthym http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circadian_rhythm ) and the subject you are writing about, you might find all sorts of little productivity tricks that will not hurt your quality. Find the right combination for you and go with it. See you at the Top of the Charts with your next song from “Writers @ Work”

Comment provided April 21, 2007 at 8:45 PM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

I was reading through this and noticed Lance made many spelling errors in his work. Ummm, but then I figured he was going for quantity anyway — so what would it matter?

Then I came across the lyrics and figured he and Jeff were eating green weed brownies anyways, so it doesn’t really matter.

I’ve heard that it doesn’t pay to edit your own work, so I always have my alterego edit my work… She can’t spell either ;)

Jan

Comment provided April 24, 2007 at 3:52 PM

OMG this is hysterical!

I love it… Jan, too funny!

Lance?

Jeff?

Haz we been eating gween bwonies?

(Jan, you missed #15 our cutie Lance was testing us.)

Comment provided April 24, 2007 at 4:05 PM

You know all you folks are made me FEEL REALLY BAD about my 4,200,000 (4.2M) article views and 135,000 Ezine Publisher Capture states. In fact, I felt really bad for 10-seconds, but now that is over thankfully. Oh anyone who wishes to read my latest 5 eBooks I wrote this month, email me, I have some interesting topics to make you think. Hopefully for more than 10-seconds.

Comment provided April 24, 2007 at 4:47 PM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

Lance, send those ebooks over, I’ll read yours between type breaks from typing my own….

If anyone else wants to know how to write an ebook – I give some great directions on my new site. Just click on my name above and it will take you to the site.

Kathy, those gween bwonies are dewishous! My daughter makes them with oregano for her school buddies… I’m still laughing – it was a taste test day and someone had told her about green brownies, but she didn’t know what they were talking about – so she made brownies with oregano. (I got called to the principles office at the private school – terribly embarrassing! Now you know why I home school.)

Lance – that was a short ten seconds! Cowboy up and get on with the writing!

Jan

Comment provided April 24, 2007 at 4:57 PM

Oh this entire thread is really affecting me today in that I just spent 5 more seconds feeling bad that I lied about something in a previous post. You see, I stated that my stats were 4,200,000 for article views and 135,000 for Ezine Publisher pick-ups. I totally lied, OMG, I must not have looked at it in a couple of days the real figures are;

4,224,350 Article Views

144,300 Ezine Publisher Pick-ups

My mistake, boy that was a very hard 5-seconds FEELING REALLY BAD about my quantity. You folks are really hurting my feelings something silly today. Real depressing indeed. But there is always tomorrow with 4,230,000 article views or this weekend with 4,250,000 article views, etc….

Hmm? Maybe happiness is really in the Numbers? Oh well you do the math, I have to go see if I can feel sorry for myself perhaps fit it in sometime this week and go for a record let’s say 20 seconds?

Comment provided April 24, 2007 at 7:23 PM

Hey Lance – Would you like to talk about it, for oh, 30 seconds?

Jeff
“former therapist still recovering”

Comment provided April 24, 2007 at 8:50 PM

Yes I know, I know.

So how was my childhood? And how does that make me feel?

I guess I feel great and “my number” is One!

Comment provided April 24, 2007 at 10:52 PM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

“I wrote it one word at a time,
and it didn’t cost me a dime,
just look for me when I come down the road…”

(Yeah I stole it from Johnny Cash!)

Jan

Comment provided April 25, 2007 at 3:09 AM

Johnny Cash is great my dad always listened to his songs and I think I know most all of them still. I often catch myself singing them.

Keep up the great work Jan!

Comment provided April 25, 2007 at 3:47 AM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

Are we early risers or what, Lance. I think my favorite JC song is still “Ring of Fire”. My kids can sing it word for word, they’ve heard me sing it so much.

Once many years ago, I got the pleasure of being disciplined by Johnny. *giggle* We’d ditched the body guards, and we managed to end up back at their house. I’ll never forget that “Ring of fire”. I never dared to ditch the body guards again. We were good girls after that.

Oh the fun of being a teenager in Nashville… LOL

Jan

Comment provided April 25, 2007 at 4:10 AM

Sounds like “You fell into a burning ring of fire!”

Oh, BTW – I put up a few of the eBooks I have done so far, will put some more up each Friday in the Online Think Tank Reading Room, click my name above for the direct link.

Nashville is a really cool place, the Suburbs have grown very high-end all the way around, but the traffic now is quite fierce compared to the Front Range Plains of Colorado, speaking of which I guess this last storm just missed you this time, by about 70 miles? Is that right or did you get snow anyway. Sure beat that 10 foot snow you got there?

Comment provided April 25, 2007 at 5:09 AM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

We didn’t get snow this time, just wind and rain. My front yard looks like I’ve been cutting down trees, but other than that, we needed the moisture.

The little town of Wild Horse, just north of here got the tornado this time. There’s a population of only 20 or so people there, and nobody was injured.

The town is most well known as the home site for Loretta Lynn’s Fan Club in the 60’s and 70’s. The post office last I knew still had Loretta’s picture and autograph on the wall.

I just realized, that history is significantly important to the area and I was there when it was made — NOW I feel old….

Jan

Comment provided April 25, 2007 at 10:02 AM

Craig writes:

As a fellow writer, I think it is a part of the creation process to write aspirationally. Writers hope to inspire others, though that should not be the only reason to write.

Comment provided March 25, 2012 at 1:02 AM