Principles of X – Article Template

Searching for new article format ideas? Look no further than what I call the “Principles of X” article template.

Here’s how it works:

• An article title that lets them know they will be learning principles of something.
  • Introductory paragraph that explains why your principles are important to the reader along with any social proof claims that can support your statements.
  • A sub-head that describes your top principles along with why each principle is important.
  • A closing paragraph that wraps up with either how to get started at applying the principles outlined or a helpful tip to help the reader overcome any objections they might have to understanding or applying one of your principles to their life or business.
  • Insert your benefits driven Resource Box

Examples of various ways I’ve seen the “Principles of X” template implemented:

There may be no ‘right’ way to do this template as you can see that some give a number to their principles, some call them “The Principles” (as if there were no other principles on the matter), some call the “Basic” or “Universal” principles, but they all usually give a numbered list with sub-heads that make it easy for the eye to see and read the principles outlined.

How can you apply this to your area of expertise?

Thom King writes:

Great article that came at a good time. Thanks!

Comment provided April 30, 2007 at 8:12 PM

Ash Nallawalla writes:

Thank you for posting this. While the tips are not new to me and many others, it will inspire me to write up a fresh article today, if not sooner. :)

Comment provided April 30, 2007 at 8:28 PM

Si Bunting writes:

Good post, well explained. I’ll bear this in mind for future articles.

Comment provided April 30, 2007 at 10:05 PM

Irvin writes:

This article is worth its weight in gold. Thanks for the post. I look forward to your next post! :-)

Comment provided April 30, 2007 at 11:34 PM

Hi Chris

Thanks for this article idea and template.

In my experience, using ideas and templates like this is one of the best ways to write more great articles in less time.

We would all do well to keep this in mind when we are writing our articles.

Comment provided May 1, 2007 at 6:57 AM

Jan writes:

I just used this template and posted three articles. Yeah! I’m loving it.

Okay – now on to the real work – I have to post my ezine.

Comment provided May 1, 2007 at 10:17 AM

jerry holmes writes:

Never heard this before but articles are new to me so may give it a try.

Comment provided May 1, 2007 at 12:10 PM

Chris – I agree when you use the word ‘principles’ it can make it sound as if these are the ONLY principles.

To avoid sounding too exclusive a friend of mine uses the word ‘Touch Points’. It leaves the topic open for more to be said.

For example, ‘6 touch points for leaders’ is more realistic than ‘The 6 principles of leadership’. Though, depending on your target audience you may want a stronger verbage.

Comment provided May 3, 2007 at 8:11 PM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

There are many words you can use other than Principles to get your point across…

5 Flavors of Sucess
5 Secret Tips
3 Administrative Secrets
7 Magical Thoughts
9 Impromptu Ideas
10 Ploys of Irregularity
2 Mystical Qualities

When writing, you use your senses, why not initiate some originality in this process as well?

5 aromas of Success?

Wouldn’t that constitute the Sweet Smell of Success? Remember I live in feedlot country – we KNOW the delicate aroma of a successful summer!

ummmm smells like money…

Comment provided May 4, 2007 at 9:10 AM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

Or the 5 misspellings of Success even?

Comment provided May 4, 2007 at 9:12 AM

Coach Bud writes:

Chris: Great advice. It reminds me of the old basic “principle” of delivering a speech: Tell ’em what you are going to tell ’em; tell ’em and then tell ’em what you told ’em. I think your advice will work well for blogs as well, since brevity is key to blog posts. Keep the good stuff coming.

Comment provided May 16, 2007 at 10:51 AM

I’ve published a lot of articles with you and most of the time haven’t used the “Principles of X.” But looking at this list gives me new inspiration for writing, especially since I’ve had writer’s block for awhile now. Thanks!

Comment provided January 5, 2008 at 7:59 AM

Jessica writes:

a very informative article. Many thanks for sharing Christopher

Comment provided December 1, 2008 at 5:07 PM

Dave writes:

Thanks a lot! It will be easy to write usefull articles.

Comment provided May 11, 2009 at 12:42 PM

Endy Daniyanto writes:

It just so happens that my next post is “The Principles of Principles!”

Let’s see how this is going to work out …

Comment provided September 6, 2009 at 11:15 PM

GRILLirious writes:

Great article. It’s always nice to have fresh ideas to work from. Thanks for posting.

Comment provided March 8, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Maria writes:

Again, having a picture is worth a thousand words!
This is great! Thank you!

Comment provided November 4, 2010 at 8:53 AM

Alain writes:

I am learning a lot from these tutorials. I have made it a point to read one per day. English is my second language, and although the same principles apply in Spanish, to read it in English, somehow it gives me more confidence in my writing.

I hope to find one article that will explain when and how to use heading 1, heading 2, heading 3 and so on.

Comment provided November 19, 2012 at 6:04 AM

Myhox writes:

After reading this principles of X article template, i’m extremely excited to write some high quality contents and draw the attention to my audiences. I got right opportunity to learned some creative and excellent ideas to write nice article. Thanks alot.

Comment provided September 24, 2013 at 5:33 AM