Member Support Phase II

Two weeks ago, we announced a new email ticket tracking system designed to provide more accurate support to our members while preventing losing any support requests through the cracks. 1,046 email tickets were opened up in the last two weeks, but less than half of the load is going through the ticket tracking system (see blog post in the near future about phase III).

Today we’re locked up in a policy decision that must be made and we’d like your opinion to help us decide which way we’ll go.

The Issue: To contact us for support, members currently log in to their EzineArticles INBOX system and send us a note. When we reply, the member receives an email notice that they have an email reply from member support and to log in to read the reply. The dilemma: Why make the member log in to see the reply when we could put it in the email being sent to the member?… if only the decision were this simple.

So, please vote for option A or option B below and give us your opinion for why you voted that way:

Option A) Leave everything as it is, it’s not broke and no one is complaining about the way it is. Don’t fix what’s not broke. As a benefit to the member, because they logged in to read the reply, they are already logged in and can immediately act on the reply, whether it be fixing or updating an article, or whatever the issue is/was. If they did get the email response in the email reply rather than having to log in to view the response, they would have to log in anyway to take action, so we’ve just saved them a perceived step.

Option B) For member replies sent by our member support team, the response will be in the email sent to the member AND to their EzineArticles INBOX (you would not believe how many people bounce emails these days). The upside to this option is that the member does not have to log in to view the reply and can then decide if they want to log in to take action or come back to it at another time. The downside to option B is that we’ll be showing that we have the ability to put the message response in the email alerts and members may become confused or mad that they can’t get all of the email messages in the email alerts rather than having to log in to view them all the time.

Background reasoning for sending an email alert to check your EzineArticles INBOX rather than putting the reply or message in the email: A member can’t do more with us if they are not logged into the system and while we solved the immediacy of the message by putting it in the email instead of an alert to check their EzineArticles INBOX, we didn’t provide a mechanism for them to easily get into action without having to log in anyway. In addition, members can shut off email alerts, which means they might not even get our email reply if they shut off their alerts, leaving them even more frustrated because we didn’t encourage them to log in to review the reply.

Your thoughts?

My personal view is that the current system works perfectly well, in fact, I find it extremely efficient.

My vote therefore is Option A.

Jonathan

Comment provided April 23, 2007 at 11:05 AM

Kim Paluch writes:

While the current system works well, I like the concept of improving before it becomes too much of a problem. There must have been some situations that caused this to come up, so there is a need. And as a member it would help me to know that my problem was addressed when it was. That way there is no lag time and everyone’s happier.

Comment provided April 23, 2007 at 11:46 AM

Pamela Beers writes:

Option A works for me. It’s efficient for me & saves time. I always check my email a couple of times a day or more. I don’t always get into my inbox at EzineArticles.com on a daily basis.

By the way, your response time to requests is excellent. Thanks again, for all your hard work and support.

Comment provided April 23, 2007 at 11:51 AM

Lynn writes:

I have had no issues with the current system.

An active member will get the message, whatever system you choose to use. A bounced email is not a very active member or perhaps not a very smart member for submitting a bad email on the original request. Trying to hold yourself accountable to this member type seems to go far beyond what a free service would supply.

Keep up the great work!

Comment provided April 23, 2007 at 12:00 PM

Ruth writes:

My vote,

Leave it as it is: A

Comment provided April 23, 2007 at 12:11 PM

I suggest you opt for ‘C’

Put it in their Ezinearticle INBOX and duplicate with a email to their registered email account.

This way you can check their email account is still active and take action if it is not and use the internal system to encourage more people to use this.

I suggest you change the login procedure, so you can have a tick box to keep you permanently logged in. Then the question of login never arises.

George E Lockett

Comment provided April 23, 2007 at 12:19 PM

Kim,

Actually, there was no situation that came up to prompt this perceived need, but rather it came up when I began thinking about how I’d want to be treated if I were a member.

George,

Thanks for the suggestion… I talked with our developers and they think it’s possible. Watch for this feature in about 2-3 weeks as we’re still working on February/March projects not completed yet.

All,

Thanks for the comments. We’ll go with Option A and also implement an auto-logged in feature in a few weeks to make it even easier to stay logged in.

Comment provided April 23, 2007 at 12:42 PM

As someone that lives on the computer and visits EzineArticles several times a day to keep up with my articles, how I get a message is not an issue for me.

The most serious writers and marketers will find a way to keep informed.

You do not want to cater to high maintenance newbies because they need to do the work to learn the process.

At the same time, you need a way to communicate, educate and bring in the newbies and those that need to be brought up to speed with how to communicate with EzineArticles.

That is why I think staying with option “A” and implementing an auto-logged in feature is the best path to take – kudos to George for his suggestion and Chris for being willing to listen to ideas and the team for knowing how to implement them.

Comment provided April 23, 2007 at 2:09 PM

Susan Scharfman writes:

Option A works fine for me.

Comment provided April 23, 2007 at 3:43 PM

Edward Weiss writes:

Ditto to what Jeff said (and so well I might add.)

Comment provided April 23, 2007 at 8:41 PM