Writing Articles and Advertising

Rosser Reeves, author of *Reality in Advertising* said:

Advertising is, actually, a simple phenomenon in terms of economics. It is merely a substitute for a personal sales force – an extension, if you will, of the merchant who cries aloud his (or her) wares.

Your articles (I call them part of your “Article Inventory”) are really your sales agents, selling for you 365 days a year, year after year. The more quality original articles you put up, the more article agents you have bringing back and attracting pre-qualified visitors back to your website or exposure to your business.

There are clearly two types of article marketers:

Type 1) Writes and submits articles every month. Just like advertising — a business is not a one-shot activity; writing & submitting new articles is an ongoing activity designed to build momentum and exposure in the market for your personal brand and your business.

Type 2) Writes and submits articles once in a great while with no consistency. This is like the entrepreneur who advertises his or her business once and then gives up, only to find their business has either dried up or never reached maximum impact… only to then be forced to advertise his or her business for sale.

What we want for you:

Be the smart entrepreneur who advertises his or her business every single month with new quality original articles. Each month of article writing will build on the prior investments in article writing and submitting. Ask any expert author who has been with us for more than a few years and you’ll begin to understand the value of how your articles build in strength for you over time.

Alyssa Johnson writes:

Thanks for the encouragement Chris,

I know I’ve found that the more I put up, the busier my site has become. I think I have 26 articles up now and they do build upon each other.

Proof of that was the day I jumped from my articles being published 42 times to 70 times! What a jump!

Comment provided March 29, 2007 at 2:50 PM

He’s right.

Comment provided March 29, 2007 at 5:17 PM

If you want to be number one in your category then you need to write articles. It is truly amazing the huge amount of exposure they will get. Newspapers are up for one day, these articles are syndicated and up for a lifetime.

Comment provided March 29, 2007 at 5:21 PM

Edward Weiss writes:

I’ll never forget the time I heard sales pieces i.e., brochures, letters, etc., referred to as “ambassadors.”

And when I thought about it, it made sense. Articles are like virtual ambassadors carrying the authors words through cyberland. :)

Comment provided March 29, 2007 at 5:40 PM

Jim Cone writes:

Absolutely, writing and submitting articles on a routine basis definitely helps to bring folks to your website.

Comment provided March 29, 2007 at 7:12 PM

Alejandro writes:

You’re right Chris; to receive a feedback from someone you don’t know, from any other country, talking about the piece you have written and expressing grattitude about it, is more than a massage to one’s ego; it’s a signal that you’re on the right track, building something good who really helps others to move forward. Thanks!

Comment provided March 29, 2007 at 8:26 PM

Ron Passfield writes:

I agree entirely that regular article writing helps to build your business. My blog now has a Google ranking of 4 and I firmly believe that my articles have contributed substantially to this ranking via links to high ranking authority sites like EzineArticles.com

It is also very true that the more you write, the easier it gets as you develop your own approach and “formula”.

Comment provided March 29, 2007 at 8:38 PM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

Published articles create a stir around a website that is better than a press release. Press Releases are only good for ‘the moment’, but an article can be used for a long time.

I noticed recently that a “free site” I created when I first stareted learning about adsense, is making some serious google bucks, so I looked at the site referrals to find out why. A group of articles I wrote promoting Tax Planning has recently been posted on a blog by a tax accountant. Those articles, written more than a year ago, are now paying for my time.

Oh, and you might want to keep those old sites active as info sites with some updated information and contact info. I also got two new clients this Spring from that site. (If I ever figure out how to redirect a FREE account, I might try that.)

Comment provided March 29, 2007 at 8:44 PM

Thanks Christopher, I think the biggest problem with article marketers is they do not realize the importance of consistancy. I didn’t see any real results until I had several articles submitted weekly.

Comment provided March 29, 2007 at 11:38 PM

Lynne Lee writes:

I’m fairly new at writing articles and just starting to gain momentum.
I’m now posting every week, my articles are being picked up and I’m getting a steady stream of visitors to my web site.
The more you do it the easier it gets.
I’m fully convinced and encouraging others to do it too.
I’m not sure I agree that once a month is often enough. My goal is no less than once a week. Last week I managed two!
Thanks for your encouraging emails.

Comment provided March 30, 2007 at 1:08 AM

Amen, Amen, and Amen

Comment provided March 30, 2007 at 5:00 AM

Herman writes:

Chris…thanks for the gentle push to submit articles..

Here’s what’s been holding me back:

1. Article writing and submission to article banks over the years has generated enough ongoing work for my web design business that I stopped submitting, although I still write articles for my newsletter and blog.

2. Taking the time to rewrite, proof read, edit and format articles for publication, then submitting them to various article directories.

3. Having enough unique content on my own site so it is not duplicated all over the Net.

With that being said “I’m determined to submit some new articles for April 07.

What’s your opinion on content composer?

Is it another software driven content creator whose content won’t be accepted by article banks?

I’m a firm believer in producing original content however with this software professing to produce 20 articles in the time it takes to write one article it is tempting to give it a try.

Seems like an easy way to dominate a niche.

Your thoughts…

Comment provided March 30, 2007 at 6:46 AM

We don’t endorse any content creation tool other than using your own brain to produce content.

Any tool that automates the creation of content, even with any possible good intentions behind it, is ripe for abuse by those who don’t have integrity.

See this blog entry for more:

Comment provided March 30, 2007 at 7:50 AM

Steve writes:

Writing articles is beneficial, I do worry at times when reading this blog that this is the only form of web promotion that people here seem to do.

Article marketing is one of many areas webmasters need to focus on, others include:

Adding original content to your site on a monthly basis

Obtaining one-way links from sites with trustrank and high page rank

Creating a newsletter

Ron talked about getting his site to a pr4, I could add him a link on to three of my own sites to get him to a pr4 without the need of articles. Pr4 is not that hard to obtain.

This blog needs more people to debate each subject rather than to just agree with everything that Chris says. Otherwise it becomes somewhat boring and a bit like a cult.

Do not get me wrong I have written nearly 500 articles on EzineArticles but there are other aspects that people need to also write and think about.

The amount of articles that some authors seem to be writing make me believe that they are article marketing addicts!

Comment provided March 30, 2007 at 7:55 AM

Lynn Cressy writes:

Thanks for the encouragement. I have written a few articles and can see positive results.

Comment provided March 30, 2007 at 8:02 AM

Herman writes:

Chris..thanks for laying that baby to rest.

Article writing software is going to clog up the search engine arteries.

Comment provided March 30, 2007 at 8:24 AM

I agree, and that’s why I invited 22k people to this particular blog entry as well as the last 6 weeks of blog entries to add their comments or thoughts.

Buutttttttttt Steve, you say “article marketing addicts” as if that’s a bad thing. :——-)

Comment provided March 30, 2007 at 8:34 AM

God, you hit the nail on the head. I feel more compelled to talk about marketing on a site like this one, because that’s what article syndication is for, at least to me and the people who hire me to write articles on their behalf.

On that note, any thoughts on “article versioning” vs. just submitting the same article to say, ten websites, including your own?

I tend to save the best articles for my own (and my clients’) newsletters and article archives on their own sites, and then kind of bust up the topics into smaller, less powerful articles which I then have published on this site and other article distribution sites like it.

Other theories? Procedures?

Comment provided March 30, 2007 at 8:45 AM

Hi, my name is Jeff, and I’m an article marketing addict.

Comment provided March 30, 2007 at 8:58 AM

I was going to recommend a 12 step program for you, but feared it would lead you to write a series of articles, thus further encouraging your addiction.

Comment provided March 30, 2007 at 9:01 AM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

I use a form of article versioning. I write an article for EzineArticles.com in a mini-format – then max it out and make it an ebook/newsletter/content.

I’ve been playing with a different kind of “white paper” less technical, more conversationally written with less jargon. I realized a while back that I get tired of readying dry copy, when something with a bit of humor or color will get the job done too.

I’m looking at a success model I want to offer for a few bucks and see where it goes.

I do notice that advertizing in various ezines helps. Just an additional venture marketing idea?

Comment provided March 30, 2007 at 9:11 AM

If it’s a whitepaper but it isn’t technical, wouldn’t that be a special report in pdf format?

Comment provided March 30, 2007 at 11:38 AM

Hi Chris,

I’m happy I wrote three articles this week only because you invited me to comment your article! I didn’t realize before how much I could do through the Ezine. Of course, I agree with the maximum of articles possible, so that the readers may follow us, expect our next article with interest and trust us when we give them advices. The result of this relationship with them will be the best one for our business, without any doubt!

Comment provided March 30, 2007 at 11:39 AM

Steve Hill writes:

Hi Dina,

I do not propose to be an expert, my advice is likely to be opposed by Chris (who is no doubt an expert), however in my opinion your best articles should be only included on your own website/s.

EzineArticles is a top site however there are other aspects people should focus on.

I personally write 5 articles per week and employ other web promotion techniques such as one way backward links.

Comment provided March 30, 2007 at 2:14 PM

5 articles a week… phew, you must be a very regimented and goal-driven individual!

This is subjective, but when I say “best articles” I mean the kind of article that people go, “WOW. Why didn’t I think of that,” or “That’s so true… I’m going to do what this person says,” or “I learned something new from this,” or “Ooh! This gives me more ideas…” (or all of the above).

I’m thinking of a very meaty article, the kind that after you read it you feel like you have a belly full of Sunday dinner.

So after you share that with your audience, you take that article and subdivide it into smaller articles which then become your article artillery and you submit them to the best sites, such as this one.

Quality for some people, I realize, is not the same for others. But when I say “save the best for yourself” I do NOT imply “…and send the crapola over to Chris’s site!” I just mean that the ones you share with your readers should be the most comprehensive and the rest are kind of neat little nibblers that prepare people who find you on the web for the main course.

Sometimes I speak in food analogies

Comment provided March 30, 2007 at 3:23 PM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

ARGH – Dina, you keep changing my definitions!

I suppose we could just call Whitepapers with a bit of humor or Special Reports in PDF format “Sunday After Dinner Analogies” (I won’t tell you what my son just shortened that title to, after reading over my shoulder!!! But I will admit he likes baked beans for Sunday dinner.)

I think he may have taken the food analogies a bit too far.

This blog post and an ezine I got last night from Sean Mize inspired an ebook today, amid the last of Tax Season (Sheesh, do these people really think I have time to do TAX PREP with all these inspirations popping into my mind?), so I’m going back to my word processor to write.

(Before I get into trouble.)

Comment provided March 30, 2007 at 3:48 PM

Hi Chris!

I read what Dina just said! I feel I can easily write a very good article with useful information everyday and I like very much to do that! I’m used to write long and complicated scientific books. So, to write a short article is very easy for me! But I have a problem, because I’m Brazilian and I live now in Greece (my parents are Greek), and my English is not so good. I’m an expert writer in Portuguese (I can even revise documents) and a very good writer in Greek (this is a very difficult language!!), but I need a good reviser for my English documents. I found a very good one, but he is too expensive. I saw that you in the Ezine revise articles. Can I send you my articles for revision? How much would I have to pay the reviser per page?

Comment provided March 30, 2007 at 4:09 PM

This conversation is getting too heavy, I need to take a nap, my cat is “kicking it” because Tony the Tiger has to rest sometime or all time, whichever is easiest?

He loves to shread white papers, so I try not to print them out any longer. It must be his Day of Rest, not a mouse to be found.

Comment provided March 30, 2007 at 7:46 PM

Rob Stone writes:

Not everyone can write. And not everyone can think up new articles every month. Thus, my hat is off to those who can write several articles a week! Bless you. I wish I was as proficient. Indeed, one can hire someone – but that’s not always in the budget. Nevertheless, it’s good advice, regardless.

Comment provided March 31, 2007 at 3:43 PM

I think just about everyone could write an article a day if they really tried. I won’t say I do everyday but I have week a few weeks writing an article day.

It just takes concentration and a will to do it. If you are writing about something that you have knowledge of (which you should be) then it should only take about 10-15 minutes to kick a good one out.

Comment provided April 1, 2007 at 1:55 AM

Absolutely an excellent point. YES, of course you are totally correct. Everyone can write one article per day without sacrificing their current life style if they would only make it one of thier priorities and really tried. In fact the more you do it the better you will get at it and eventually you will be able to do it in 10-15 minutes.

Simply think about some unique situation in your day; a coincidence or ironic situation and how that relates with your expertise. Everyone and anyone can do this. Joshua, you are leading by example, keep up the great work, I stand by you and second your comments here today.

Comment provided April 1, 2007 at 2:12 AM

Olivia Quah writes:

Thanks Christopher for reminding me to submit article. I will start my first article in this month.

Comment provided April 2, 2007 at 7:20 AM

Hi Chris,

I’m really happy I started to write articles! I only hope I’ll have enough time for them! I have the chance to help people for free with the knowledge I’m giving them and with my advices. And I’m enjoying writing light articles, without heavy explanations, references and proofs! They remind me of my literature works. Article writing is an art!

Comment provided April 2, 2007 at 11:32 AM

Carol writes:

Just as art can inspire response, passion or comment, so can writing. The more you write the more canvases you have displayed for comment. So keep that gallery filled with new and creative works of thoughts and ideas!

Comment provided April 4, 2007 at 10:13 PM

I fully agree with you Chris as article marketing helped me in getting my first website onto #1 at google within 3 month for a highly competitive keyword.

Now as I am going to start a now german website with a partner I will focus on article marketing. Good luck for us that there are already some established german article directories out ther.

But everytime I want to promote and get visitors to a english written site I will stick to your website as it is for me THE authority site for article markeing.

Keep on your good job!