Lately, we’ve had a small handful of authors who want us to accept their pen names that have either their brand or their expertise worked into their first or last name. It used to be very easy for us to ban this behavior as it’s too ‘hokey’ for us (credibility destroyer), but the line is blurred and we could use your help/opinions.
Examples of hokey author names: (names changed to protect the guilty)
- George Prudehome – writes about home improvement
- John Rspad – writes about spa’s
- Alyssa Amore – writes about relationships & love
- Dan Tan – writes about tanning beds and getting a good tan
- Jack Free – writes about getting free things online
- Kyle Kisscafe – writes to promote his coffee shop
Our question to you: The intent of the above names are clearly designed with an intent to extend the brand or expertise and anyone reading it quickly knows the person is a joke or not credible, but where do we draw the line when it’s all so subjective?