Author Bio vs Resource Box

For someone new to writing and/or syndicating their articles, it may seem like the “Author Bio” and “Resource Box” below the article body are one in the same, but they serve two very different functions. Let’s take a quick look into each of these promotional tools to better understand what to do with them:

Author Bio (Biography):

• Purpose is to give a big picture view of why you, the author, are an expert in your field and who you serve by stating your Unique Selling Proposition (USP).
  • You can have a call-to-action in the author bio, but normally there isn’t one. It’s more of a summary of your expertise.
  • Placement is usually on the author profile page that lists all of your articles (or in EzineArticles case, in the expert author bio and extended author bio page).
  • May include your primary business website address, your blog address, and sometimes your personal website address.
  • Can be lengthier than your resource box, but should not spill over into every expertise you have under the sun.
  • Should include a professional author photo.
  • Often used when you get interviewed by others.

Resource Box:

• Purpose is to give readers of a specific article, resources, where they can learn more about how to get more of what they were just reading.
  • Includes a specific call to action that is highly relevant to the same content as the article.
  • Placement is directly below the article body.
  • Should include at least (1) http://Your-Company-Name.com/ website address so your readers can find you.
  • In EzineArticles.com, if your author bio has a photo uploaded, it will automatically be used in your resource box in a thumbnail size.
  • Important that you don’t include conflicting information in the resource box, such as other expertises you have that are not relevant to the topic of your article or other websites that you own that are also not related to the topic of your article.

Here are some selected quick additional articles to help you with this:

Do you have a favorite RESOURCE BOX or AUTHOR BIO tip to share? Add your comment below:
UPDATED MARCH 6th 2007: Bonnie Jo Davis blogged about it.

Hey, Chris… maybe it’s time for me to edit that one article on “Author Bio’s” to reflect the proper terminology? :)

(I’ll wait for a bit before I do that though).

Thanks for the free advertising. I mean, in addition to web articles, which are already free advertising.

Dina

Comment provided March 5, 2007 at 1:06 PM

By the way, I can’t stand that article of mine. Not that *someone* can’t get *something* out of it. I just hate the tone. I sound kind of cracked out. Sorry people!

Comment provided March 5, 2007 at 1:08 PM

Ryan writes:

I’ve always just left my author bio section blank but I think its about time that I go write one now… thanks for the tip Chris.

Comment provided March 5, 2007 at 1:59 PM

Dina,

Author Bio, Resource Box, SIG line…. the article marketing industry is just a baby yet so it’ll take years for everything to gel.

You weren’t ‘cracked out’ and I liked your article. :)

Comment provided March 5, 2007 at 2:04 PM

LanceWinslow writes:

This is a great topic. I think that people need to consider the reader and not themselves. For instance, do not tell everyone how great you are, tell them what you can do for them. So, in an authors bio, mention how you help people with your expertise. In the Resource box, you need to tell people why they need this and how it will help them. Those are my thoughts.

Comment provided March 5, 2007 at 2:04 PM

Edward Weiss writes:

My author resource box tip: Make sure your name is bolded and is the first thing readers see.

This serves 2 purposes… It lets readers know they’ve reached your resource box (sometimes I can’t tell where an article ends and where the author’s resource box beings) and highlights your name. :)

Comment provided March 5, 2007 at 2:25 PM

Jeff Herring writes:

Hi Chris

I think you made two important distinctions here, one in the orginal post and the other in your response to Dina:

1. The difference between the author bio and the resource box is a difference that makes all the difference, and

2. That the article marketing industry is in it’s infancy – exciting to be on the cutting edge of defining an industry isn’t it?

Me thinks there is an article in here somewhere…………

Comment provided March 5, 2007 at 3:46 PM

Thanks, Coach Chris. :) I guess I was being a bit dramatic.

What’s happening here, in reading all of the articles about author bio creation, is…

My brain is telling me to write a SECOND article about author resource box creation and attempt to polish the tone – so as to make it BETTER than the first.

Comment provided March 5, 2007 at 4:19 PM

Bonnie Jo Davis writes:

Chris,

You gave me lots of food for thought. I blogged about this post and I submitted to Digg. If anyone wants to help me “Digg It” you can find the story at

Your biggest fan,

Bonnie

Comment provided March 5, 2007 at 4:46 PM

Carla writes:

That’s great advice, Edward. Where were you some 70 articles ago? :) I should have thought of that myself.

~Carla

Comment provided March 5, 2007 at 5:09 PM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

Dina,

Make it a new article, instead of editing the first one. It always amazes me when I look back and see the way an author has grown and how their copywriting changes. I’m sure other people do the same kinds of reviews.

It’s impressive to know that copywriters are still learning to ply their trades.

I admire those who refuse to grow stale and insist on learning something new frequently.

My own work has changed over the years. I don’t even recognize some of my earlier stuff. Although I still consider most of it quite good.

Edward,

I’d never thought of bolding my name in the Author box. It just never occurred to me.

I appreciate the suggestion.

Lance,

I agree we need to think of the reader. It’s often difficult to remember that little key when we’re actually wired up over an issue and that’s the reason we’re writing something… Inspiration, comes from the stranges sources.

Thanks,

Jan

Comment provided March 5, 2007 at 6:53 PM

Great info for us newbies.

Thanks,
Priscilla

Comment provided March 5, 2007 at 7:27 PM

Carla writes:

Dug it!

Comment provided March 5, 2007 at 7:31 PM

Thanks Bonnie Jo and Carla for the Digg love.

Get this: EzineArticles was previously unable to be “DIGG’d” because of unknown reasons (I had guessed that some overzealous members might have tried too aggressively to promote their EzineArticles)… but I had read a week ago that DIGG un-banned a bunch of sites because of their new anti-digg-spam armor was better able to detect true digg-spam vs. the occasional zealous digger.

Also, thanks Bonnie for announcing this blog entry to your Articles That Sell blog/feed. :)

Comment provided March 6, 2007 at 8:31 AM

LanceWinslow writes:

In thinking about this over the weekend, I have considered a “Review Board” free for those authors who need help with their resource boxes. Early on, Chris helped me with mine, because I had made the basic mistakes that those who are new make. It really improved the click-thru rates and success of my program. What if we took some authors here who are clearly kicking but and understand this issue extremely well and have them each volunteer to review 10-20 resource boxes per week free of charge? If we had 50 authors doing this, everyone who asked for help could recieve it. It would be good, especially for people like me who are just warming up, as writers. You know?

Comment provided March 6, 2007 at 6:37 PM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

If you’re just warming up – Lance – what does that make the rest of us? First graders?

Way to go! I like your spirit. I would be willing to help those who would like a hand with their bio/resource boxes. Although, it means I need to go fix mine.

Which would probably be a good idea anyways?

I did help my son out with his earlier today. And he’s posted his first Article on EzineArticles.com I was quite impressed. I got to edit it first, and for a 12 year old that is some article… Yes, I’m just a wee bit prejudice!!!

For those of you who want to look him up (of course, I’m pulling out the Mom photos); he’s Kenton Verhoeff.

Jan Verhoeff
Proud Mom!

Comment provided March 6, 2007 at 8:05 PM

Nice job Kenton!

You must be one of the youngest contributors to EzineArticles.com! :-)

Comment provided March 6, 2007 at 8:13 PM

Thanks, Chris… will have to re-do both of mine…

Dug it, Bonnie….

Jan, Congrats! Rated Kenton’s article, commented on his blog… and my daughter will get the go-ahead later to start her own blog if she still wants to…
Thanks to you comment here and Kenton’s work.

Angela.

Comment provided March 8, 2007 at 8:14 AM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

Angela,

That’s great about your daughter. I just think it’s awesome when children start writing and creating their own work online. They have so much to say, and I just want to encourage them to put their work out there and accomplish something wonderful!

Let me know when her blog is up —

Jan

Comment provided March 8, 2007 at 8:18 AM

Jan, Kenton is adorable! What a face. Really cool that he’s writing. :)

Anyone who publishes children’s work on the web, just be careful with personal information, addresses and such. Not that I have to tell you, but it never hurts to say it again.

Comment provided March 8, 2007 at 6:32 PM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

Thanks Dina! He’s something – always doing something online.

Yeah, I’ve warned him about the addresses, etc. But they are on my website out of necessity.

Unfortunately, even if they’re not on the website, I’ve noticed, if you have a slightly unusual name and utilities in your name you are locatable online.

Comment provided March 12, 2007 at 2:02 PM

Shan Ferguson writes:

You know it has bee awhile since I even looked at mine,I will be submiting an article later I may have to look into those and edit them later.

Comment provided June 2, 2007 at 1:12 PM