Traffic Spikes Per Niche

I’ve been reviewing January 2007 reports that outline how much traffic each niche category attracts per month.

While the obvious trend showed up that if you have more articles in a category, it will usually mean more traffic per category… but today, I’m going to share with you some of the traffic trends when specific niche categories achieve a breakout traffic spike in terms of 200-1,000% more traffic-per-article than other articles in the same main category.

Consider this information for entertainment purposes only:

How to understand the above chart:

Example: Articles in the TELESEMINARS category received an average of 200% (2x) more traffic PER article than the average per article traffic for the main category that it’s in (Writing & Speaking).

Consider this data with a confidence of about ~85% accuracy… Sometimes spikes come from sources that are not easily identifiable, while others come from data collection gaffs or new categories that didn’t have enough months or years to produce a statistically accurate/reliable pattern.

But CHRIS! My niche / category is not on the above break-out list?!?

If you didn’t see your niche mentioned in the above list, that’s because it produced a relatively normal traffic pattern per article last month. These things change all the time and this is the first time I’ve started to review this data to see if there are any actionable trends that we should share.

Any questions?

This is priceless info!

I can write about tattos or chocolate and keep it within my niche or anything if I really think about it.

Humm, Thanks!

tic, tic, tic.

Comment provided February 5, 2007 at 2:34 PM

Ed Howes writes:

I think you are onto something here, at least as pertains to EzineArticles and eventually the web itself once EzineArticles is the established benchmark. At what point does a spike become a trend? When the niche outperforms the general category for 3 months? Six months?

Noting monthly spikes over the course of several years will also show cycles and seasonality and probably far more than I can think of now. We need a linked page for EzineArticles Growth and Trends any visitor can access from the home page. Maybe one more person on staff who shares your natural curiosity for you to play against.

I have only had internet experience since late ’99 and I could see from my first experience, the future of the InformationAge would be in the useful organization of otherwise scattered info. Thank you for constantly confirming my initial impression.

Comment provided February 5, 2007 at 3:47 PM

Keith Renninson writes:

Hi Chris,

I agree with Ed who wrote:

“We need a linked page for EzineArticles Growth and Trends any visitor can access from the home page.”

If we are writing on topics that have normal trends, that’s fine, but if there are sub-categories of those topics that have a tendency to spike for whatever reason, it would be good to know that so we could make use of them. I think this could turn out to be a very useful tool in selecting the category for an article in the first place, but also to show how a category changes over time.

We all strive to write the highest quality articles in the first place, but if they are mis-categorized by the author who didn’t know about the trends within that category or sub-category, he could be doing himself and EzineArticles a dis-service by not using the trend information if it was available.

Thanks for this tidbit of analytical data that you are becoming famous (infamous?) for:).

Comment provided February 5, 2007 at 4:35 PM

I have also seen traffic spikes for;

Computers and Technology X2

Women’s Interests X2

News – Weather X10 (During Hurricance Season)

Beauty – Hair Styles X5 to X10 +

Great Topic by the way.

And a few others in my own article inventory.

Comment provided February 5, 2007 at 6:09 PM

Additional thoughts:

While I didn’t drill into every article, I think we’d find that only a few (less than a dozen articles) made up the monster spikes in each category.

Sometimes this happens from a search engine referral, a home page mention on a high-traffic home page, and manytimes because the author of the article has a large email newsletter list of their own that they mail a promotional mention to highlight their article.

It would be wrong to assume that ALL articles in any of the above listed categories that I mentioned would achieve the same X growth, but it can’t hurt to acknowledge the data and do tests of your own… ie: If you already write for these categories, give them a little higher priority, topic-wise, for a brief period of time and see what happens.

Comment provided February 5, 2007 at 6:54 PM

See I totally agree with your premise here, because it makes sense for someone to write articles on Tattoos if they are selling “Business Consulting Services to Major Corporations” but if someone writes on several topics and one of them is indeed Tattoos then putting a few more in that high traffic category, does make sense. The payoffs are good compared to any potential downside (wasting time for instance).

Comment provided February 5, 2007 at 7:35 PM

Edward Weiss writes:

Tattoos. Who would have guessed? Not me. Fascinating.

Comment provided February 5, 2007 at 8:34 PM

I posted a silly article the other day about Tattooed Fish at the Pet Store. 100 hits? WTH? It is rather funny I tell you?

Comment provided February 6, 2007 at 12:00 AM

No… that was

“Tattooed Fish; Cruelty to Animals?”

Darn clever.

I saw that when I checked out the top 10 writers for tattoos.
I don’t know why but I was surprised to see you Lance on that list. I was also surprised at just how many articles you have written just this month. Gads!

Comment provided February 6, 2007 at 1:06 AM

The irony of that is I do not have any tattooes myself, I think my mom would have killed me? I guess I am just too much of a straight arrow sometimes? I have even been accused of being Mormon. I kid you not!

Comment provided February 6, 2007 at 1:14 AM

Allen Taylor writes:

My question would be on those categories where there are spikes is there one or a handful of authors who produced more articles than usual or who are new writers submitting articles in that category and submitted quite a few, giving the category a good jump?

Comment provided February 6, 2007 at 2:04 AM

Interesting question. I do remember seeing a boost in the RV and motorcycle categories when they opened up also?

Comment provided February 6, 2007 at 2:58 AM

To answer your question:

We are analyzing the number of page views PER article.

Therefore, if a category had a spike of thousands of more articles, it wouldn’t matter because we’re not looking at total page view volume, but rather traffic per article in a given time period (Jan 2007).

Lance, yeah, it’s true that as we add more categories, there is an initial surge in article submissions for each sub-category… most likely from authors who were holding back waiting to find the right category to put their articles in.

Comment provided February 6, 2007 at 6:13 AM

Steve Hill writes:

I wrote an article called web design with free web hosting which has had a massive amount of views, nearly seven thousand last time I looked. This is a lot more than the 150 I normally have etc.

Comment provided February 6, 2007 at 6:50 AM

Allen Taylor writes:

Wow, Steve. I’d say that’s evidence that you wrote a bang-up article.

Comment provided February 6, 2007 at 8:53 AM

Ayelet writes:

Good info Chris, Thanks!

Would you be willing to consider making this info available on a monthly base? If nothing else it sparks ideas…

Anyways, I am off to brainstorm Anger Management and Book Reviews articles…

Comment provided February 6, 2007 at 12:08 PM

This entire set of comments makes one ask another question;

How do you write the best titles for the best categories?

Comment provided February 7, 2007 at 5:15 AM

Nathalie writes:

Chocolate, tattoos and love I can fully understand but ‘real estate law’ :-( there might be something for me to look into…

Comment provided February 8, 2007 at 9:10 PM

Allen Taylor writes:

Good question, Lance. I would think that you could teach us all that yourself.

Comment provided February 9, 2007 at 8:24 PM

“Tattooes Chocolates and Love; Get a Heart Shaped Tattoo on your Tush”

Great title for an article indeed. Thank you Nathalie

Comment provided February 9, 2007 at 8:30 PM

Well it is quite clear to me that you guys are losing it!

A tattoo on Lance’s tush… humm.

Never to be believed by someone who often starts his comments with “Indeed”.

That is what is so darn deceptive about you Lance with all your ticky titles. Ahhh our mentor and hero of wild prolific articles coupled with all the brilliant ones that I would never in my wildest dreams imagine to write.

Chocolate? Why yes… INDEED!

Since my exotic lap dancing keyword worked so well maybe I could write something like “Exotic Lap Dancer’s Eat Chocolate While Getting Tattooed”

YES! Brilliant INDEED!

Hey! I am painting up a storm! Just checking in. I am doing so great. YAY!

Comment provided February 9, 2007 at 9:13 PM

Allen Taylor writes:

Good one, K.

How about:

“Tattoos, Chocolate and Love: A Real Estate Lawyer’s Memoir of Her Exotic Lap Dancing Nights”

Comment provided February 9, 2007 at 9:26 PM

Ahh yes Allen.

Just twisted enough to get our readers lurking to see what we will come up with next.

Excellent copy indeed.

Comment provided February 9, 2007 at 9:37 PM

Ed Howes writes:

Hot Loving Chocolate Covered Lap Dancers!

The Timex girls – take a licking and keep on ticking.

Comment provided February 9, 2007 at 9:59 PM

We’re in there, I just feel it!

How can we miss?

Now just to figure out the 250 words.

or…should I say yumm because I did in fact just make my World Famous Chocolate Chip Cookies.

Comment provided February 9, 2007 at 10:19 PM

Ed Howes writes:

With nuts?

Comment provided February 9, 2007 at 10:38 PM

Allen Taylor writes:

No Ed, your nuts!

And Kathy if you’re going to rub our faces in it you need to take our mailing addresses.

Comment provided February 10, 2007 at 12:03 AM

Weell… I wrote the recipe in an…

i don’t remember which niche.

Comment provided February 10, 2007 at 12:34 AM

Ed Howes writes:

Do you remember which web site you published it on? Good chance you could then find the category it’s in. :-)

Comment provided February 10, 2007 at 1:14 AM

Ed Howes writes:

Is you saying I is nuts?

Comment provided February 10, 2007 at 1:19 AM

Ed, of course you is nuts! We all are, that’s why this is so fun.

Here it is. Not great keywords but the recipe will make up for that.

“Don’t Be Intimidated at Art Openings, Bring Chocolate Chip Cookies and Wear a Big Smile”

Kathy’s Chocolate Chip Cookies

Cream together:
1 cup ‘real’ butter (not margarine!)
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 Tbl. black strap molasses
1 tsp. salt
add and blend two eggs
don’t overdo this part or your cookies will turn out weird.

sift together then fold into sugar mixture:
2 1/2 cups flour, 1 tsp. baking soda

add and mix to above mixture:
1 cup coconut
3/4 cup old fashioned oatmeal
2 full cups chocolate chips

Bake at 325 degrees for about 12 minutes. Use only an old junkie cookie sheet… not one of the new ones, they tend to make these cookies cake. Take the cookies out ‘just a hair BEFORE they are done’. Let them finish up after they come out of the oven.

That’s it! So wear a big smile, introduce yourself and tell them who made the cookies!

Comment provided February 10, 2007 at 2:40 AM

You know we have a recipies article category, right?

hint hint…

Next week our team is adding the following new related categories:

Food & Drink: Desserts
Food & Drink: Low-Calorie
Food & Drink: Main-Course
Food & Drink: Soups
Food & Drink: Salads
Food & Drink: Pasta Dishes
Food & Drink: Crockpot-Recipes
Food & Drink: Restaurant-Reviews

Useless trivia: When I was growing up, my CB (Citizen Band radio) handle was “Cookie Cruncher”.

Comment provided February 10, 2007 at 8:05 AM

Chris the Cookie Cruncher, I love it! From now on, this is Hardly Trivia to me; Sir Cookie Cruncher; Crunch Crunch! HA HA HA. Cookie Cruncher, what a cool handle, so do you drive a 4 X 4? If you can’t stop smile as you go under as we crunch you?

You are still crunching the competition today!

Comment provided February 10, 2007 at 8:13 AM

Allen Taylor writes:

No, Ed, I was who said you is nuts.

Chris, I like “Cookie Cruncher.”

Comment provided February 10, 2007 at 8:24 AM

I also left that handle behind… so it really doesn’t apply today any more.

In fact, I haven’t bought cookies in years… even though I’ll admit to liking a half dozen varieties of them.

Yes, I drive a 4×4:

But I’ve traded the motosat dish for Verizon & Cingular broadband in terms of mobile Internet.

Comment provided February 10, 2007 at 8:26 AM

Ed Howes writes:

From Cookie Cruncher to Article Monster – Sesame Street for Cultural Creatives

Comment provided February 10, 2007 at 9:20 AM

Chris, my recipe was a secondary gift incl. in article about having confidence around a sometimes cliquish art crowd.

Recipes? Humm they can’t be that big a niche ..?? Are they?

Comment provided February 10, 2007 at 12:39 PM

Ayelet writes:

Kathy, I LOVE your art!

Why don’t you have an affiliate program?
(or maybe you d but I couldn’t find it…)

Let me know…

Comment provided February 13, 2007 at 9:43 AM

Ayelet, wow, what an idea. Thank you, I hadn’t thought of that…sheesh.

Comment provided February 13, 2007 at 12:29 PM

Ayelet Yedidia writes:

Well Kathy, I am glad to be of Inspiration! (if you need help with setting it up let me know).

I am adding you to my ‘Good Sites’ and when you have it set up, I would love to spread some images around my site, so keep me posted…

Comment provided February 16, 2007 at 10:10 AM

Thanks you so much for your comment. I checked out your site and added myself to your mailing list. Wonderful site.

I have only just started with my mailing list thru AWeber that has not even totaled 200 as yet. One step at a time I guess.

I am writing articles, networking on My Space and painting like a mad woman to prepare for two shows in April.

I am not ready to put out the expense of adding an affiliate plan as yet. I am a self published artist soo..

I have learned a lot from EZ blogs. Now I see there is one started on RSS which is something I need to learn about and implicate. I know, sheesh! Everyone has a beginning in every thing right?

Comment provided February 16, 2007 at 11:37 AM

Ed Howes writes:

These steep learning curves will help us avoid senility a little further down the road.:-) I am setting a goal to catch up to you. I just know you have a list. I will have to hire help to catch you. So be it!

Comment provided February 16, 2007 at 12:09 PM

Ed Howes writes:

One More Thing,

Please paint your to do lists for us after you have the items checked off. An artist’s journal on canvas. Could be a lot of fun, I think.

Comment provided February 16, 2007 at 12:14 PM

Ed, you are just so darn cutie!

I do have a blog posting the series I am working on called “Artist’s Watch|Ala o Pele”

I have never felt that the process should be kept secret to anything… this is why I appreciate EzineArticles Blogs so much.

Ahh together we will conquer ‘something’ anyway! ha ha

Comment provided February 16, 2007 at 12:59 PM

Ed Howes writes:

Conquer Something Together?

Now I envey your testosterone! :-)

Comment provided February 16, 2007 at 1:31 PM