New York vs. Florida Expert Authors

Our team is working on producing a comprehensive report designed to tell me which states (out of the 50 United States) produce the most authors and which produce the most articles that we are able to accept. Today, I’m going to give you a sneak peak at the data that is ~95% accurate:

One of the most interesting things is that we have nearly identical numbers of expert authors in New York (1,732) and Florida (1,790), yet authors in New York produce 92% MORE articles than their Florida counter part. Authors in Florida submitted 16,967 articles that we accepted vs. authors from New York that submitted 32,670 articles that we accepted. Wow, eh?

Not surprisingly, California expert authors lead in both numbers of authors (3,763) and in number of articles submitted that were accepted (44,950). California represents 15.5% of all expert authors from the USA and 19% all all USA article submissions.

Honorable mention goes to the BIG state of Texas, producing the 4th largest number of expert authors (1,576) and 4th largest number of articles submitted that were accepted (13,664).

Jan Verhoeff writes:

I didn’t see Colorado on the list.

That must mean I’m alone in the wilderness?

Not that I have a problem with that — I just always wondered if there was anyone else out there from the square state?

Comment provided February 15, 2007 at 8:09 AM

Susan Scharfman writes:

Wow! You’re sleuthing is as good as it gets. I wonder whether you know what toothpaste we all use! (I worked for the USG too long).

Did you consider that South Florida, and to a lesser extent West Florida, is home to hundreds of thousands of former New Yorkers? Some are residents of both states, and are called snowbirds. So New Yorkers (wherever they may be) might beat even Californians?? I’m only in Florida because of my significant other. Otherwise I’d be shoveling snow. Plus many of the older folks in Florida are glued to the golf courses. Maybe their leisure takes priority over their writing. In any case, it’s an interesting survey.

Comment provided February 15, 2007 at 9:14 AM

Ohhh you Colorado people! :-)

Colorado ranked #5 with 815 expert authors and 7,965 articles accepted.

Illinois ranked #6 with 804 expert authors and 7,117 articles accepted.

At the bottom is the Virgin Islands with 4 authors and at the bottom for the continental USA is Wyoming, North & South Dakota, each with less than 40 authors represented.

Comment provided February 15, 2007 at 12:31 PM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

Colorado people are all pesky because we have one leg shorter than the other from walking around on the mountains all the time!

Wow!!! I’m impressed!

Anyone else out there from Lamar?

Comment provided February 15, 2007 at 3:14 PM

Not one of these statistics surprises me, it is EXACTLY what I would have suspected after visting all these places and talking to all the folks in these locations. Did you find any anomalies in the data that you found to be out of step with the regional society variations. The FL and NY thing makes sense completely, if you have ever watched the way Floridians and New Yorkers do things.

Comment provided February 15, 2007 at 3:50 PM

Susan Scharfman writes:

I’m dying to ask how Floridians and New Yorkers do things, but I won’t.

Comment provided February 15, 2007 at 5:54 PM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

New Yorkers (the yuppy high energy on the go types) move to the beat of constant motion, tight schedules, and a ‘get it done now’ and work a bit more than they play (it’s cold up there).

Floridians (the upscale on the go types) move to a more laid back beat of constant motion on the ocean, schedules that allow for enjoying sunshine and beaches, and a ‘get it done so we can go play’ attitude. Work isn’t second on the schedule, it just includes beach and sun time.

How do I know this? I have good friends in both places, and they are opposing personalities. Both are competitive and highly accomplished but in very different ways. Nothing wrong with either one of them. It’s a rather interesting dissimilarity to have on the same coast.

Anybody wanna talk about California?

As for Colorado, I have neighbors who have never SEEN a computer and don’t have any interest in putting more than three words in the same sentence at the same time, and they’re not hillbillies (mountain goats maybe?).

Comment provided February 15, 2007 at 6:30 PM

Allen Taylor writes:

Jan, sounds like Colorado is a bit like Pennsylvania.

Of course, I’m originally from Texas.

Comment provided February 16, 2007 at 6:15 AM

Susan Scharfman writes:

Jan: You are so right on. What is really changing the Southeast and South West Florida scene is the beginning of a tsunami of Boomers from the insane pace of New York to less stress and no mess (snow). They’re here to work, but not too hard. They’re here to play but no golf carts for them. Squash and tennis, Yeah!

Comment provided February 16, 2007 at 9:02 AM