How To Attract Being Physically Lean

Our team is in relatively pretty good shape physically, but being in front of the computer all day and living in the freezing cold Midwest combined with our crappy fast food supply is a recipe for anything but being physically ‘lean’… so from time to time, I share tips with our team as a way to share what I know while putting some self-evaluation pressure on myself to walk my own talk.

Here is a copy of the email I sent our team today on the 20 quick tips to help you attract a physical state of being lean.

20 Ways To Attract A Physical State Of Being Lean:

1) Focus on daily caloric deficit… meaning, consume less calories than you expend in energy.

2) Know the power of 3,500 = 1 lb of fat rule and that the fastest you should lose weight is 2.5-5 lbs per week. Anything faster than that rate will not stay lost long-term for most people.

3) Eat 5-6 meals a day.

4) Eat breakfast.

5) Stop eating after 7pm at night.

6) Find something fun to do that is physically demanding (run, bike, swim, adult sports leagues, kickboxing, etc.) and can be done for 240-320 minutes a week for exercise.

7) Record everything you eat with a program like Calorie King.

8) Weight train after getting a physical or doctor’s clearance. Cardio is never enough and muscle burns calories faster than fat.

9) Know fat can’t make you fat because the body can’t convert fat into fat. Carbs can make you fat because the body knows how to convert excess carbs into fat… but you still need carbs and the “no-carb diets” are stupid because your brain can only burn glucose and you can only get glucose from carbs. No carbs = your brain shuts down… and we need your brains here at work. :)

10) Increase your lean protein intake.

11) Learn more about periodization so that you train in 2-8 week cycles that is always changing. This will help you avoid the plateau.

12) Find a buddy to train with.

13) Get a trainer to measure your bodyfat. You must know where your baseline is so you can set goals and adjust your fitness/nutrition strategies.

14) Take your “BEFORE” photo now.

15) Right before you fall asleep and right when you wake up, give yourself the treat of a 1-2 minute visualization of the body you want to create/have.

16) Deny yourself the luxury of negative thoughts. Only allow self-talk that supports your goals.

17) Setup your environment to support you. Don’t go out drinking if you know that will pack on a few thousand empty-calories. Remove junk food from your home so you can’t be tempted.

18) Try split-training where you do a morning training session before work and another session late afternoon or right before bed.

19) You will fail along the way and don’t beat yourself up. Restart each day knowing you can create the body you deserve.

20) Being lean and physically in shape with a sense of well-being is the natural order of things. If you want to access a higher level of energy in all areas of your life, you must master your physical self. Trust in yourself. Your body already knows how to be lean. Listen to it.

Ed Howes writes:

Are you talkin’ to me?

The greatest thing about procrastinating is having friends who tell you when it’s time to stop with words of motivation.

Comment provided February 18, 2007 at 2:38 PM

susan scharfman writes:

For those who sit too much (writers) these are wonderful goals, some to which I routinely adhere, others I frequently follow, and to be honest, some others I procrastinate with, or tell myself I don’t have time for. For this reason, I’ve printed them out and am staring at them this very minute. The body is a terrible thing to waste and the only one we’ll get. Thanks, Chris

Comment provided February 18, 2007 at 2:40 PM

Chris,

That was excellent advice but my perception was that it was aimed at overweight people? I also believe that for we over – 50’s, a different set of rules apply.

As an ex-sportsman, I l know all about the value of exercise, but the fact remains that when you reach a certain age it is essential to balance everything you do.

In this house we eat breakfast like Kings; we lunch like Princes and we dine like paupers. But at the core of mental and physical fitness is attitude and possibly more important, self-respect – looking in the mirror in the mornings and being satisfied with what you are seeing.

As a final thought, you make no mention of the quality of food one should eat; exercise alone will not achieve longevity, nor do you discuss supplements: Both of these issues are terribly important and here in France we are lucky to have a choice of quality organic food – plus of course the very best red wine!!

Balance is essential and the simple formula is, in my humble opinion, Diet + Exercise + Attitude = Healthy Life.

My wife is a nutritionist and her guidance has been instrumental in my desire to maintain peak performance levels – Healthy Body = Healthy Mind = Healthy Body!

Whilst I realise that you frown on added links within comments, this one is far to be self-serving!: http://www.lef.org/ This organisation really are the dog’s “whatsits”

Jonathan

Comment provided February 18, 2007 at 3:15 PM

Dencho Denchev writes:

Hi Chris!
This is Dencho.
Excellent article! I am sure it will attract attention of ladies…:)
However I have a simple article on similar theme.
You can use it for yourself. Just drop me an email and I will send it to you.
Best regards,
Dencho

Comment provided February 18, 2007 at 3:20 PM

Jonathan,

It was aimed at our team of 20-40 year old somethings. Some are less lean than they would like to be from what they tell me.

You are right, that I didn’t give enough attention to a nutritional recommendation… but I did address the recording of your diet and when you use a program like Calorie King, it’ll spit out graphs that give you instant feedback on your intake ratios so that the obvious should stare right at you.

My experience is that if you do weight training and 300 minutes or more of cardio per week that your body will direct your eating habits into a more healthy direction… just like some of the smoker buddies who started working out instantly self-realized that it’s very difficult to smoke and exercise with intensity.

Comment provided February 18, 2007 at 3:42 PM

Chris,

As my wife would say – and she is French; “We are on the same length of waves”

Jonathan

Comment provided February 18, 2007 at 3:51 PM

Ed Howes writes:

Jonathan,

Thanks for posting the link. I find each birthday anniversary raises my long standing level of interest in anti aging and age reversal. I bookmarked the site and requested a trial issue of the mag. I would change the sequence of your formula to Attitude + Diet + Exercise = Ou la la!

A must read in my opinion is Deepak Chopra’s “Live Longer, Grow Younger”. Time for me to read it again. Thanks for reminding me everyone.

Comment provided February 18, 2007 at 4:07 PM

Ed

Your revised equation: – you might think it but I could not possibly say it!

Am familiar with Chopra’s work but think I might reframe it to: ” Think Younger, Become Younger”

Age really is a number not a barrier. I know an awful lot of very old thirty and forty year olds!

Jonathan

Comment provided February 18, 2007 at 4:21 PM

heather picken writes:

Kudos for posting these!

Since this is my expertise feel free to ask your fat-burning questions!

Heather Picken

Comment provided February 18, 2007 at 4:58 PM

Edward Weiss writes:

How To Attract Being Thin:

Repeat to self –

Every day in every way, I’m getting thinner and thinner.

Which reminds me, ever see the move “Thinner” by Steven King?

Comment provided February 18, 2007 at 8:31 PM

Ed Howes writes:

Hey!

I was saying that again and again the other day until a gust of wind slammed me into a wall. :-)

Comment provided February 19, 2007 at 12:31 AM

Nickelback said, “We’ll all stay skinny ’cause we just won’t eat”

Hey hey I wanna be a rockstar…

Comment provided February 19, 2007 at 7:05 AM

Susan Scharfman writes:

P.S. My dog Molly reminded me that she is the source of much of my exercise. Contrary to the myths about some bratty small dogs, Molly is sweet, affectionate and insists on being taken out for her runs. She runs like the wind and makes me run with her. She has an atomic clock in her head for food and exercise. If I forget the time, the little tyrant reminds me to move away from the computer. So my advice, especially to us elders, is to have an energetic, not couch potato, dog. Dogs make walking fun and gives us time to stop, sniff out and investigate that mysterious something lurking in the bushes.
Cheers!

Comment provided February 19, 2007 at 10:05 AM

Molly sounds very much like my wife! :)

Comment provided February 19, 2007 at 10:10 AM

Susan Scharfman writes:

Jonathan:

Bet she doesn’t growl at the pizza man!!

Comment provided February 19, 2007 at 10:35 AM

Oh, if we had one she would – she growls at everyone else: however a French growl can almost be attractive but it is an acquired taste.

There are compensations of course, I know we will never get burgled.

Comment provided February 19, 2007 at 10:42 AM

Susan Scharfman writes:

Jonathon: Before we move on to less profound matters, can you or your wife give us some of your favorite table wines? I love dry reds. I heard a French growl once, on a crowded metro. ;)

Comment provided February 19, 2007 at 11:00 AM

Susan:

Yes, of course, I will be happy to make some recommendations and rather than risk being moderated for going “off-topic”, I will e-mail you here in the next couple of days.

It must be time for her run as she is tugging at my trousers – well I am assuming that is what she wants as it is not Saturday night :)

Going back on-topic, I do find that having a pet – sorry wife, who is much younger, does prompt me to stay fit – so you see, there are bonuses.

Are you sure it was a growl on the Metro?

Comment provided February 19, 2007 at 11:13 AM

Susan Scharfman writes:

Jonathan: Mai oui, absolument! A very throaty French growl. I remember because I inadvertently stepped on his foot with my heel and he pretended it didn’t hurt.

BTW there’s nothing off point about red wine in moderation. I have high cholesterol and high blood pressure. My doctor said it will help keep my heart healthy (in addition to meds, exercise and diet, of course).

Chris, maybe you could make the grape 3(a)?

Comment provided February 19, 2007 at 2:26 PM

Lance@carwashguys.com writes:

I completely disagree with the article. You brain needs nutrients and food. If you do not put in the necessary calories then your brain will run out of steam and not be able to do complex thought at the level need to write excellent articles in the quantity you wish too.

I therefore believe that although those who work at the EzineArticles Ltd. company may not exercise their brains to the degree the writers must to perform. It might be good idea for them to not become fat rear-ended, but I would hold short on recommending that you cut your food supply that your brain needs to operate.

I therefore think this article should be removed from the data base and this Blog because it is not correct. It belongs on an inter-company memo for those who work at EzineArticles and not the authors who need to feed their brains. Now then if EzineArticles ever have to pony up and turn their minds to full-speed then they will also need the brain food and then you can take the memo and delete it.

This is the way I see it. If I were judging this article for the online data base here. I would reject it as it does not fit my belief system and it would not be allowed to be displayed amongst the others articles here.

Comment provided February 19, 2007 at 5:32 PM

Lance,

I recommended eating 5-6 meals a day (see #3), to eat breakfast (see #4), eating carbs for brain food (see #9), and to eat more protein (#10).

Are you keying off my sarcasm quoting the Nickelback song?

Comment provided February 19, 2007 at 10:01 PM

Indeed eating in smaller pieces is smart. Also it is smart to allow time for your stomach to adjust to different types of food. Such as eating an apple, pear, banana, cantelope, watermellon and then waiting for an hour and a half until you eat something else.

Then perhaps snack on some trail mix.

Then maybe a salad or eat some raw vegitables with an Olive oil with spices dip. Carrots, Bell Peppers, cauliflower, string beans, beats, Broccoli.

Then a tuna sandwich later on with whole wheat bread or a Submarine Sandwhich or a Burritto, Taco.

Then maybe a bowl of soup, with extras thrown in in the final stages of cooking like Onions, Garlic, spices and fresh cut vegitables.

Another dish might be some chunky salsa with lots of diced vegitables.

Next perhaps a can of sardines, some iced tea.

This is a much better way to eat. So, I agree.

Comment provided February 20, 2007 at 12:05 AM

Even though the theme of my article was on ways to attract being leaner, this article seems relevant to the discussion:

20 Ways To Lose Weight by Sheila Dicks

[it’s currently the most popular article in our weight loss section]

Comment provided February 21, 2007 at 8:28 AM

Is this a True or False Test?
#9 – FALSE! “Know fat can’t make you fat because the body can’t convert fat into fat” — Where did you get this information? One gram of fat = 9 calories. Your body stores ANY excess calories as fat, regardless of their source – fat, protein or carbs.

For more tips on staying lean and fit, check the Fitness and Nutrition sections of http://www.drmirkin.com

Comment provided February 22, 2007 at 7:10 PM

Danny Snyder writes:

Where are the French wine articles so we can all read them?

Since this blog entry is essentially like comments on an EzineArticle, why aren’t there more comments on articles? Actually, I don’t think that I’ve ever seen a comment on an article. Am I just reading the wrong categories?

Comment provided February 23, 2007 at 2:35 PM

Danny,

Here are all of the french wine articles:

And I know why the article comments outside of this blog have not caught wildfire: Because there is no email follow up sub-system …YET. :) Watch for it soon as it’s in development right now.

Comment provided February 23, 2007 at 2:44 PM

Danny,

Also, you can find all of the comments for any category by looking at the site map:

Example: Here are all of the comments in the Food & Drinks categories:

Comment provided February 23, 2007 at 2:48 PM

Ed Howes writes:

I was smiling as I read Danny’s post and saying to myself, I hope Chris has answered this, since the comments have been discussed here previously. That discovery led to an experiment which had no success at all. Karma was telling me Let Ezines Articles solve this problem in their own good time. Just when I get to thinking it doesn’t get better than this; it always does. You folks have been amazing me since I submitted my first essay.

This is truly a day of revelations at the EzineArticles Blog. Post my congrats on a separate recent post and then find this most wonderful news. Too much for one day so I will not ask what surprise is coming in reference to future author/publisher interface and publisher membership program. Are you itching to cause me delirium with your response Chris? Here is to the best author community on the internet – EzineArticles Rule!

Comment provided February 23, 2007 at 3:36 PM