Author Support Thoughts

On a daily basis, we respond to about 175-250 author support email queries. Yesterday, I took a 36 hour span of incoming author support queries and responded to them myself so I could get a feel for what our author support team does every day.

I was first amazed that I couldn’t go faster than 18-24 email replies per hour… no matter how focused or fast I typed or copy and pasted templated responses…due to the complexity of the decision making process when researching and responding to various issues.

Currently, there are 3 ways that our members can contact us:

(listed from MOST preferred to LEAST preferred:)

1) Logged in your membership account and using the CONTACT US form (or soon the EzineArticles INBOX) to contact us.

This is the best way because we include information in the emails that tell us many of the key variables about your situation that you may fail to include so that we can help you faster.

2) The public CONTACT US form.

This is usually because the member/author can’t log in or doesn’t want to log in to ask a question. These take longer to respond because they require more research time.

3) The Support @ EzineArticles email address.

Most of these emails come in as a reply to an auto-generated email sent to our members based on various transactions (such as a new article submission acceptance acknowledgement, an updated photo or bio upload acknowledgement, etc). Often times emails that are sent to us via the support @ alias are pushy, asking us to speed along and get something done for the author. Being that these are often the easiest for the member to snap off to us, they are often very careless about the content in their emails. This email type is also used when a private thread spawns between us and the member about a particular problem.

As the new web ticket tracking system becomes implemented, this option to contact us via email will disappear.

Here are some ways to help us support you faster:

• Put the Article ID that you are asking a problem about so that we don’t have to look it up by article title. This saves us 30-300 seconds.
  • Give as much detail in every email as possible.
  • Don’t assume there is only (1) person in author support and that he or she remembers every issue in their head. :)
  • If we flagged an article as a PROBLEM ARTICLE with GENERAL being the reason, then go read our editorial guidelines and see if you can figure out what the problem is before asking us to tell you.
  • If you’re in the BASIC level of membership, know that we will never upgrade your account if you have articles that are in a PROBLEM STATUS. I saw this several times yesterday and was surprised. Work to resolve issues first…then ask for upgrade love.

We’re not a customer intimacy-based model; We are an operationally-efficient model: That means, we don’t become intimate with every word of every article you write…nor do we invest the resources to give lovingly long email replies or personal phone calls. We’re short and to the point so we can get on to the next email reply; but not because we’re mad or upset with you. Yes, of course we love you.

Phil Smith writes:

Wow! I didn’t dream that you have the level of response you have–or that there are such demands on your resources to take care of our needs! Thanks for the service you provide. And don’t bother to respond to this message–just keep up your good work.

Comment provided February 13, 2007 at 9:39 AM

Ed Howes writes:

Hey Chris,

It is always good to learn what goes on at headquarters. Please retain my dividends on my EzineArticles Love Stock. Draw upon them whenever supplies run low and spend them freely. We love you all too!

Comment provided February 13, 2007 at 11:12 AM

You wanted to know what is going on at headquarters today?

Two newbie editors (Amber and Kara) are being trained and it is TACO TUESDAY in the EzineArticles lunch room!

Comment provided February 13, 2007 at 11:26 AM

Oh, my god. Taco Tuesday. That is TOO AWESOME.

Comment provided February 13, 2007 at 12:11 PM

Ed Howes writes:

Viva La Taco Revolucion!

U.S energy policy has driven up corn prices in Mexico due to U.S. diversion of corn crops to ethanol production. Mexican Government is trying price controls. Soon Americans will be able to get rich smuggling corn into Mexico. What a turn of events that would be!

Comment provided February 13, 2007 at 1:17 PM

Allen Taylor writes:

Tacos! My favorite. Yum yum yum

I hope that’s Pace picante sauce. We don’t want any New York stuff around here.

Comment provided February 13, 2007 at 2:13 PM

Interesting Blog Post Chris.

Comment provided February 13, 2007 at 3:21 PM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

Well, at least now I know what day to visit EzineArticles headquarters – I’ll bring the salsa!

I do love those tacos!

Oh – btw – I appreciate all the hard work too. ;)

Comment provided February 13, 2007 at 3:42 PM

For the sake of argument let’s say you have a Taco Party at the Office as a way to salute the employees and show that you care. Everyone is exited because it means free food and saving money on lunch and they consider this a sign or gesture that you care for them. This helps build team work and camaraderie as well.

Now let’s suppose that some one hears of this Taco Party and sneaks into the office break room through the back door and starts stealing content. That is to say the contents for the Taco Party, next they open a little Taco Stand (picture a group of 8-year olds with a Lemonade Stand). Next they sell your contents or condiments I guess they would be called to homeless bums coming down the street. They only make trickle payments; a dime here, a quarter there.

But these small trickle payments Ad up and the cents continue flowing in. You realize the leakage of the condiments and that someone is stealing your contents for your Taco Party, but you are okay with this, because there is still plenty of condiments left for everyone to eat at the table. Of course you are concerned about this and do nothing about it.

Eventually your employees start to notice that the Taco Stand is eating away at their food supply and still you choose to do nothing about it. So, I ask; What if Someone Steals All Your Content for your Taco Party? You Go Hungry.

Comment provided February 13, 2007 at 11:36 PM

Ed Howes writes:

Nah, you switch to peanut butter sandwiches. :-)

Comment provided February 14, 2007 at 12:15 AM

Allen Taylor writes:

I like that, Ed!

You know, the curious thing about my tacos is no matter how much the little munchkins take, I still have plenty for the party and more left to give to the thieves when the party is over. My tacos multiply!

Comment provided February 14, 2007 at 12:20 AM

Ed Howes writes:

Send a few of your self replicating tacos to Mexico and next week you will be a national hero.

Comment provided February 14, 2007 at 12:30 AM

I suppose if we wished to take over Mexico without a shot being fired all we would have to do is calm the masses with Free GMO Flour Tortillas and some cloned meat to help with the contents of the Burritos. After all a man and his family have to eat!

Mexico is a beautiful country indeed, I hope everything there turns back to normal soon, I am sure it will. It is so unfortunate that the price of tortillas is so high now in Mexico causing the revolt there. There needs to be a remedy to keep peace otherwise Mexico, Central America and South America could soon be endorsing Pattato lines as well. which were things seem to be headed.

I am also concerned about the Price of Rice in China. And totally thankful for the Great Support of ; I just love them and I am making this website my Valentine!

Comment provided February 14, 2007 at 3:16 AM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

Your think tank runneth over.

The simple fact is, Tacos (like Mexicans) replicate faster than welfare lines in America. Beans are an incredible source of gas and yet nobody mines them (oops, that e should be a d), yet… We can’t seem to absorb them fast enough to prevent duplication of processing.

As for the price of rice in China, if they would consider switching to fried beans instead of fried rice, they could accomplish two objectives – gas would be in abundant supply, and the price of rice would drop, the price of beans would escalate and the demand (supply and demand) would change the nation.

If all else fails, they can switch to peanut butter sandwiches and the Democratic Georgia Peanut farmers will be making enough money to support the entire planet with their socialized monetary distributions.

And – now that I’ve insulted and slam dunked 3/4’s of the worlds population (the Mexicans, the Chinese, and the Democrats – not to mention that bean eating little fart I raised that writes better than me) I think I’ll take my conservative little dish of salsa and go enjoy the Wednesday Valentine’s Special at EzineArticles where I can hide out under the guize of my pen name and nobody will be he wiser.

Happy Valentine’s Day – everyone spread the love that’s what it’s there for!

Jan *grinning*

PS. Pass the taters and beans please.

Comment provided February 14, 2007 at 6:29 AM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

Oh, wait….

I think I got off the topic.

Now, about that bean eating little fart who writes better than me. I’ve been seriously considering this for a while.

He wants to post his articles under his own name, using his own identity… But that would be under my IP address, which would seriously contradict the ‘rules of TOS’ and toss an incredible monkey wrench into the system of acceptance and identification of writers… He does have his own computer, but it’s on my ISP and frequently we use each other’s computers, depending on what’s happening with the other two munchkins using computers, so I’ve posted articles from his comp, too.

Do I need to open his ‘pen name’ on my account which will contaminate the process later in his life – or confuse the issue entirely and open him up an account and just tell everyone at EzineArticles what is happening so they accept his submissions as a different person?

I’ve noticed sometimes married couples put both names on their articles – is this the reason?

Comment provided February 14, 2007 at 6:39 AM

Your argument contains the false assumption that we are doing nothing to stop the taco condiment leaks.

The IP address info is only used to help us identify those who abuse their membership.

If the little fart (as you called him) wants to write his own articles under his own name, then tell him to create his own membership account and send them in. The fact that he uses your computer or your ISP or your IP address doesn’t really matter.

We only use IP address info to help troubleshoot questionable behavior. If there is nothing questionable happening, we ignore IP address info.

Comment provided February 14, 2007 at 8:09 AM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

Thanks Chris! I’ll tell him.

‘fart’ isn’t his name, but I’ll admit he stinks sometimes (he’s 12 – what can I say).

Comment provided February 14, 2007 at 10:14 AM

This has turned into a very playful and fun thread and I have learned something new today about the EzineArticles system. Thanks for the support and answers to these questions and love the idea of free food so I wrote an article today on Taco Parties for increasing business productivity.

Comment provided February 14, 2007 at 5:31 PM