Welcome to 2007

What are your article writing & marketing goals this year?

If you haven’t already contemplated them, written them down or even started considering what your article writing goals should be, this is a great time to do just that. (hint hint!)

Before you start telling me about how you’re going to improve the quality of your articles or the volume of articles that you produce, let me challenge you to begin your article writing goal-setting by considering what your END OUTCOME is first. ie: Writing articles and submitting them to EzineArticles.com is a means to an end…and you must decide what that end outcome should be for you and your business.

Here are some tips to help you create your article writing & marketing goals for 2007:

1) Review what you did in 2006 and study what’s working for you and what didn’t work so well. How can you do more of what’s working very well for you and less of what’s not? When you review your stats, do you see any patterns of predictability that would allow you to create a model of scalability from your future investments of effort in article writing?

2) Decide what you want for your end outcome from all of your article writing & marketing activities. How much traffic or exposure do you want to generate for your website(s) this year?

3) Put your goals and thoughts into numeric terms. It’s not enough to dream or wish for non-numeric ideals — Instead, you must become very specific when writing down your goals in numeric terms. How many articles are you going to produce per week or month; what will the word count be; which strategies are you going to test with the various components of the article?, etc..

4) Write your goals down. Deep down inside, you know that just having them in your head is not enough to guarantee that they will happen in the real world…and that you must commit your goals to PRINTED PAPER.

5) Get started and take action. Goals on paper are just that…goals on paper. To achieve your goals, you must act and you must act with a massive amount of action. Goals without action is like a car parked in the garage. Sure, it looks pretty, but it’s not serving anyone just sitting there.

6) Start with your biggest goal and then chunk it down. Example: If your biggest goal is to produce 1,200 articles this year (100 per month, every month), work it out backwards as to how many per week, per day and per hour you’ll need to produce to meet your goals. Are there other ways to meet your goals than to produce them all yourself personally?

7) And lastly, set a deadline for your article writing & marketing goals. When specifically will you know if you’ve reached your goal? How will you know if you are on pace to reach your goals?
2007 is going to be a great year! It’s time to THINK BIG, PLAN BIG and then WORK YOUR PLAN!

What are your 2007 article writing & marketing goals?

Any New Years Resolutions you’d like to share about how you’re going to change your article writing and marketing habits or strategies?

My goal is to take the same article volume production method I have developed for my clients, and apply it to my own business.

Thanks for the nudge.

Comment provided January 4, 2007 at 9:20 AM

My 2007 goal is to write two to three articles per week and to take the ones I’ve already written and submit them to EzineArticles.com.

Comment provided January 4, 2007 at 9:27 AM

Care to share your article volume production method Dina or is it a “Dina trade secret”? :?)

Comment provided January 4, 2007 at 9:41 AM

Allen Taylor writes:

I can identify with Dina. My goal is to distribute my articles to more directory instead of just my favorite one. I’m making a list of my 10 favorite and I’ll submit those 10 on a consistent basis. Of course, EzineArticles is one of those; and now that I own one (www.articles.pn), I have another outlet right at my fingertips.

Comment provided January 4, 2007 at 9:51 AM

David L. Banig writes:

1) I am planing on using e-zine to help promote my expertise in the packaging market.

2) Plan to write at least 3 articles or more per week.

3) To look for others through e-zine to get advise on improving my business.

4) To promote my articles on my web site.

Comment provided January 4, 2007 at 9:55 AM

Kathleen Gage writes:

Excellent article Christopher. Of course, I attribute much of the success I have enjoyed from my article distribution to EzineArticles.com. I mean that sincerely. Yours was one of the first places I found many years ago to distribute my articles and with all the great ideas and tips I read from you, the rest as they say is……

My goals for 2007 are a continuation of 2006. More articles, another book, several eProducts (one is being released next week) and continuing to assist others to grow their busniesses.

As you say Christopher, have systems in place. Systems are essential. I do plan to up the number of articles I distribute in 2007 as I am very clear this is a major contributor to my overall business success.

Thanks for all you do Christopher.

Kathleen Gage
The Street Smarts Speaker and Author

Comment provided January 4, 2007 at 10:14 AM

My goal is to increase volume while maintaining the quality our clients expect from us.

happy new year to all!

Comment provided January 4, 2007 at 10:22 AM

Steve Martinez writes:

In 2007 my plan is to write an average of 3 articles a week under sales, sales management and business.

My goal is to finish writing my book on the selling process and how to automate sales.

Ezines has been a great tool for this development. The feedback from the articles lets me know what points are more important and I can use some of the text from the short articles to build the book.

I’m find that devoting at least one hour a day to this project often leads to more time on the keyboard.

The one hour commitment is the key goal that will lead to the accomplishment of writing the book and the articles. The web traffic from this activity has also been profitable.

Thanks for a great service

Comment provided January 4, 2007 at 10:52 AM

I did not resolve the problem of writing original new content and time schedule yet, any help?

Comment provided January 4, 2007 at 10:58 AM

Depends on your needs. I have clients who need 500 articles per week and clients who need only one. What are you trying to achieve? Webpage content? Submission articles only? premium articles to submit to just high-traffic, high PR, related websites?

Comment provided January 4, 2007 at 11:22 AM

CW Teo writes:

I started to submit articles to EzineArticles.com about a month ago with 8 articles thus far.
As suggested by Christoper, I would review the content, title and the relevance of the category posted for my 8 articles submitted. The viewership stats is also another key information to determine the performance of the articles hence, the traffic drawn to one’s site. I too concur with Kathleen that EzineArticles has provided great help in the distribution of published articles.

My goal in 2007 is to consistently submit good content and informative articles!

Wishing all a Great Successful Year ahead!

CW Teo

Comment provided January 4, 2007 at 11:27 AM

Ed Howes writes:

As an internet newbie of just over one year, I am not yet marketing beyond sharing what I learn with others, who occasionally respond. I am the proverbial kid in the candy store. To whom do I wish to speak, about what? Where do I find them? How do I encourage them to respond?

Yet My need is to diversify, tear myself away from the keyboard and monitor for several more hours per day, listen to and play music, consider a few marketing options whaich have my partial attention. I have not taken up this journey for the destination, but for the journey itself and all possible good which might result. For me this year will be setting and achieving small goals.

1.) Balance, reading, writing, listening, dining, resting, daily maintenance.

2.) Treat myself better. Do more of what I love and less of what I “must”. Be undriven, more led.

3.) Write and publish an average of 2 – 3 essays per week, mostly in larger, spaced batches.

4.) Devote equal or greater time to forum participation, focusing on the handful which feel right and responsive. Some are ideal for linking to my pertinent published work, so find new readers.

5.) Expand social networking, locally and globally at approximately double the 06 rate.

6.) Begin marketing and double 06 revenues.

7.) Double my giving.

Waheed: How much time do you wish to invest on a regular basis? Choose a comfortable number of weekly hours for the pursuit. You will not ever be behind schedule when you set goals for time instead of results. You will fall into a reading – writing rythym. After a few weeks, you will have a comfortable production level. If two articles per week, is comfortable, set a goal to write 5 every two weeks. This challenges us to do a little more with the same time and this becomes a natural habit. Constantly adjust the goals as we go. Down when need be, up to compensate. You will find more hours for an activity you love because you own the clock. It does not own you.

Comment provided January 4, 2007 at 12:12 PM

My IM Goals for 2007 are to write out a full business plan and get a grant to fund my IM efforts. Also, as http://www.myblueshoes.com is under redevelopment, my goal is to create an attractive new interface for the site and grow the number of backlinks to it through article writing, directory submissions and link exchange.

My goal is to write at least 12 articles this year.

Comment provided January 4, 2007 at 1:00 PM

Kathleen Gage writes:

The beauty of developing the habit of writing articles on a consistent basis is that you can turn the articles into a book. A simple method I use is to write tips; turn the tips into articles; articles into reports; reports into chapters; chapters into books.

Kathleen Gage

Comment provided January 4, 2007 at 1:19 PM

Dominic writes:

I’ve noticed over the last year that sites that had articles pointing to them did much better. My goal is to submit at least 10 per week and I’m on track.

Comment provided January 4, 2007 at 3:23 PM

Ed Howes,

I’m taking your response to Waheed to mean that you grapple for control with Father Time?

The only reason I would base anything on the clock is it’s a good way to to monitor things as you’re being paid (assuming someone is paying you to write articles – that of course is not the case always).

I set my goals as X amount of articles per month, and then I do it over the course of 4 days. :)

The “secret” is to get someone else to do the submitting for you. It’s too exhausting trying to do both and make the numbers.

I just talked about this in my January ezine. Not that I’m trying to push my ezine, I’m just saying. ;)

If you click my name above, you’ll get to read the issue/article.

Question for Kathleen Gage: do you take the exact content that you publish in web articles and reprint it in book form, and then charge money for it?

Or are you talking about free downloadable reports? I was asked about this recently and I advised that if you’re going to recycle old ideas, retool them for a new audience (meaning, edit edit edit like crazy, and if you reprint a few articles, at least tell your audience it’s a pickup article from your collection).

Thanks all, for the commisseration on article goals.

Comment provided January 4, 2007 at 6:05 PM

Allen Taylor writes:

I agree with getting someone else to do the submitting. I learned that this year. It can be a time consuming process, but a worthy one. The problem is, there is only one of me. Yet, I can duplicate myself to meet my clients’ needs. I just have to force myself to “duplicate” me for my own needs. That seems to be more difficult to do.

As for recycling content, I don’t see the benefit in selling something you’ve already given away for free. You can rewrite an article and give it a “premium” tone and feel, then resell it. But if it’s the same article with no added value then you’re not really providing any extra benefit.

Comment provided January 4, 2007 at 6:21 PM

Kathleen Gage writes:

Dina,

I often rework what I write. It helps that I absolutely love to write. There have been occasions where I have taken a portion of a book and turned a few pages into an article. The book is a paid product and the article is not. However, I do let folks know that the article came out of _____________ book. Fill in the blank with the book title.

I recently did this with my book Law of Achievement. I took a healthy serving of the original writings, turned it into a free eBook that was given as a bonus gift to a Joint Venture Campaign. On all the promotional information and inside the book I never left anything to chance or guesswork and let people know they could buy the full version of the paperback book and that the writings came directly out of the book. I provided a direct link to the Amazon.com page where they could order the book.

I sold several copies of the paperback with this strategy. Those who enjoyed what they read in the eBook were great candidates to buy the full book.

You mentioned you have someone submit your articles. I do too. It is more cost effective for me to pay someone to submit for me rather than me spend the time. I can use that time to do more writing, host a teleconference or do whatever is a revenue generator.

Kathleen Gage
The Street Smarts Speaker and Author

Comment provided January 4, 2007 at 6:22 PM

Ed Howes writes:

Dina, Dina, Dina,

Take my response to Waheed as you choose. Who does not grapple now and again? It was my attempt to answer the question I took to mean, how do I begin generating original content? We understand you professionals simply set a goal and do it because you long ago answered Waheed’s question for yourselves. Never-the-less, I am always delighted to see you posting here. :-)

Comment provided January 4, 2007 at 7:16 PM

My 2007 goal is to write at least 9 articles per month and to take the ones I’ve already written and submit them to EzineArticles.com.

Wishing all a Great Successful Year ahead!

Manohar Chimmani
Author, Filmmaker and Infoprenuer

Comment provided January 5, 2007 at 12:21 AM

joychandra writes:

I am about to start writing articles at least 7 per week. Now, I am new in this line , so i will try to improve very soon.

oinam joychandra

Comment provided January 5, 2007 at 12:41 AM

No one dealt with my point of view yet.
All what is said is applicable and useful for settled known marketers, but for the newbies, who would
read their tips or reprinted work?
All people now read ” if you can’t write,hire someone”, or ” if had never written a word, it is not a problem”, and it is this is why the social bookmarking sites are making that buzz.
What I meant is , writing is not a rare commodity on the internet, and if you do not write about a new angle of the same subject – because no one would re-invent the wheel- and make sure it is documented in subjects like healt, no body would bother searching for or stopping at what you write.

Comment provided January 5, 2007 at 1:23 AM

Hope Wilbanks writes:

I will be setting different “challenges” for myself each month. For January, my challenge is simply to write an article a day (to submit). So far, I’ve met and exceeded this goal, by writing 2 per day.

I ghostwrite articles, too, so this is just my personal goals. Over the last few months I haven’t had nearly enough time to dedicate to my own work. So that’s my major goal for this year. X-articles, X-pages per day of PERSONAL “stuff.” ;)

Comment provided January 5, 2007 at 6:21 AM

Kathleen Gage writes:

Waheed,

Your points are well taken. All of us started at the beginning, with the first article, the first word on a page. Writing and distributing articles is a process.

Not everything has to be a “new angle”. Often, tried and true information on a topic can do better than the latest and greatest way to do something.

The thing to do is begin writing on something you are familiar with, you have a passion for, and you would enjoy writing on. Begin your own blog. You can easily do that by going to http://www.blogger.com and post your writings in your blog.

Post your blog URL to various directories. Join forum groups where you can get involved in conversations on topics you are again passionate about and know something about.

You can also get involved in discussion where you don’t have a lot of knowledge but you are inquiring about the topic (like you have done with your posting about writing)

Again, we all start at the same place. With the first word on the first page of our first article. From there, it is a matter of repeating the process.

Kathleen Gage
The Street Smarts Speaker and Author

Comment provided January 5, 2007 at 6:36 AM

Ed Howes writes:

Waheed,

Thank you for clarifying. Original content does not mean uncommon information. It means information in your own words. For example: you could write an article which summarizes the information from a chapter in a book you are reading. If you want to write unique articles you can use common knowledge, think of alternative meanings for it or demonstrate it is not always as it appears. If your field was health, there are many errors and misconceptions in the field. You do not need to prove or document your position, even though SOME readers would prefer that. The service you provide the reader is a new way to see possibilities.

Another way to find unique material for articles is to find the cutting edge, brand new reports of information in your field of interest(s) -search and seek. You will find these sources and become one who shares the information from them with a new and wider audience.

I am not an investor. I have subscribed to an excellent financial newsletter which is always packed with information other non investors and investors should know about. I can tell from this Ezine most people do not know many economic facts of life. Now I can share what I am learning and most are not and my articles might be very popular, just because of the way I write them. I hope this information is useful to you.

Comment provided January 5, 2007 at 11:04 AM

excellent post Ed. Agree 100% and also there are different writing styles. Ed and I could sit down right now and write an article about the very same topic and our writing styles are different so they will appeal to a different set of readers.

Someone might read my first paragraph and it not appeal to them while Ed’s first paragraph would have captivated them enough to read all the way through. Same information, different styles.

Comment provided January 5, 2007 at 12:28 PM

Allen Taylor writes:

Yes, and not only different styles, but different writers bring a different set of circumstances and experiences. What communicates well for one writer may very well be a stumbling block for another.

When you achieve your voice you’ll reach your audience.

Comment provided January 5, 2007 at 12:43 PM

Thank you ED! Thank you very much

Comment provided January 5, 2007 at 1:50 PM

My goal is to write 1,111 articles by June 2007 to bring my total to 11,111 because I like the number one a lot. How about you?

Comment provided January 5, 2007 at 11:55 PM

Hope Wilbanks writes:

What a cool goal, Lance! :)

Comment provided January 6, 2007 at 5:40 AM

My goal is to become the number one author on EzineArticles.com and all the other top article directories. I like it when I bring servers down on their knees with a traffic avalanche.

No wishful thinking here. I will be adding 13,000 plus new articles before the end of the 2nd quarter — I’ll be working with a team of over ten writers and 20 submitters.

I have already achieved a previous target of writing 40 articles daily (It looked impossible then — So, it’s all in the mind). Now, I want to oversee the writing of 200 articles daily and having them submitted to 200 article directories daily.

I have made this decision because of all traffic generation techniques, article marketing gives me the reins — I like being in CHARGE!

Comment provided January 7, 2007 at 8:17 AM

Ed Howes writes:

Chimezirim,

I salute your incredible ambition. I beg of you to document your results as you go and keep us all informed on appropriate blog threads here. I’m subscribing to your Ezine in case you will be reporting there. Thank you for sharing this awesome goal and your achievements.

Ed

Comment provided January 7, 2007 at 11:19 AM

Ed,

No need to wait for my reports latter. Let’s do some calculations. I hope they’ll motivate you…

If you(or anyone else for that matter) successfully posts 200 articles in up to 200 article directories daily;

If you do this for 100 days;

If you average 2 page views per article per directory (I reckon these are conservative figures);

If just 1 out of every 30 page views results in a click through to your site;

If just 1 out of every 20 click-throughs results in a sign up for your newsletter (that’s a conversion rate of just 5% — I currently have 31% plus);

Here’s what you’ll get 30 days thereafter (disregarding all the traffic you generated on the days you were submitting)…

200 articles x 200 directories daily x 2 page views x 100 x 30 days = 240,000,000 page views

How about subscribers (the money, they say, is in the list)? You’ll get…

240000000/30 x 20 = 400,000 subscribers

Lance Winslow got me thinking. I hope I’ve helped you raise your goals.

Chimezirim

Comment provided January 7, 2007 at 11:53 AM

Chimezirim,

As your traffic volume increases, your email newsletter conversion rate will dive below 1%.

Your experiment will be interesting to track and I hope you share your results with us over time…

The challenge I see you’ll be facing is how to crank out articles that have at least one quality nugget per article… IE: the QUALITY thing.

The only part of your plan that would scare me as a writer is the other 199 directories you’re going to be submitting to… but then again, I’m biased. ;-)

Eventually, you’ll end up getting rejected by the legit sites because the non-legit sites will repurpose your content and put them under someone else’s name and then that will get indexed and 9 months later when our editors are reviewing your article submissions… we’ll begin to question who really wrote your articles because we’ll be finding identical content under someone else’s name… and as you may know, we don’t accept content that is non-exclusive to your name.

I also aplaud your ambitious goals and urge caution as you proceed forward because your reputation will be defined by who you associate with (ie: who you submit to).

I’d be curious to hear how you’re going to address the TRUST and credibility factor in the quality of your content over the long-term?‚

Comment provided January 7, 2007 at 12:31 PM

Hope Wilbanks writes:

Christopher,
That’s exactly what I was thinking. How in the world Chimezirim will be able to produce that many *quality* articles.

While I admit that I’d love to submit hundreds of articles in a month’s time, that’s just not possible right now. I write my own content, plus I’m a ghostwriter. That means I write for others who use article marketing, plus I have to incorporate my own article writing/marketing as well into every day.

At any rate, best of luck to you! :) I’d be interested to learn of the results as well.

Comment provided January 7, 2007 at 12:44 PM

Chris,

People have and still do steal articles from great article directories like yours — I’ve seen a few of my articles bastardized.

It doesn’t really take much to find out who’s messing around with your articles. It just isn’t worth my time pursuing them — They can’t be making progress with the way the articles looked on their sites.

Here’s what I do as a protective measure…

I submit all my articles first to EzineArticles (Not trying to patronize you — I know you’re the best). I then submit to other directories after many days or weeks and sometimes, months.

I guess search engines favor sites like yours (sites that have built a reputation for quality). Furthermore, they have a way of knowing when and where an article first showed up (A reasonable guess, I think).

The above factors combined effectively should give me good returns before the tire-kickers step in.

You definitely know more than I do as far as article marketing is concerned. But all said and done, I’ll like to see what hurts and what doesn’t (unless you can post real life figures that compel me otherwise — I’m not here to make a point. I am here to make money).

As further backup, I have plans of submitting a unique rewrite of each article to the better directories if non-exclusivity issues arise.

And how do I know the new great ones without trying them out?

On maintaining quality…

I’ve discovered that like wine, you get better at writing if you keep at it with time. Furthermore, I look at those articles I consider great from time to time and ask myself, “What’s it you like about these articles?”

I then add what strategies I uncover to my arsenal.

Finally, I do this full time (10 – 16 hours daily from Monday to Monday). And, I’ll be working with a team of over ten writers and 20 submitters. This is where my PAY comes from. So, I make sure I stick only to stuff that works.

Comment provided January 7, 2007 at 1:22 PM

Kathleen Gage writes:

Chimezirim,

I’m curious, in your articles do you use your name or do you write specifically about a product, service or industry with no name attachment to it?

When I write I look for an increase in my name recognition in the market place as an expert on my topic(s). Wondering if you do the same?

Kathleen Gage
The Street Smarts Speaker

Comment provided January 7, 2007 at 3:21 PM

Kathleen,

I do. I do add my name and links to all my articles.

Comment provided January 8, 2007 at 9:00 AM

Allen Taylor writes:

Hope, he did say he is working with 10 writers. If they are quality writers then 200 quality articles per day is not a problem. I manage a team of writers myself and some of them are capable of producing 20 articles per day so Chimezirim’s numbers are not outrageous.

I have the same concern that Chris does. Quality is always preferable over quantity. However, quality and quantity is the absolute ideal. But the third factor, and it’s intangible, is the credibility factor. There seems to be a diseconomies of scale with regard to article marketing. Too much can be a detriment.

The point to writing articles and submitting them to directories is to get other publishers to pick them up, which increases your inbound links and traffic. As a publisher, if I see that a certain writer has produced 200 new articles today, I am not going to scroll through 200 articles to find one that I want to publish. Therefore, Chimezirim will lose some in the shuffle.

Another thing, as Chris mentioned, what is the quality of those other 199 directories? Some directories are nothing more than link farms. Do you really want to be associated with those? I screen my directories profusely. I don’t submit to just anyone. I look at reputation.

One of the criticisms I’ve heard about EzineArticles is its policy on links within an article. Some writers don’t like that. I do. Because of it’s higher standard, I consider it a higher quality directory because it screens the fluff and the garbage so that I, as a publisher, don’t have to. Remember, article directories exist for the publisher as much as for the writer and to do that effectively you have to consider the needs of both audiences. I think EzineArticles does that better than most other directories.

Chimezirim, I think you’d be better off submitting fewer articles to fewer, high quality, directories. Unless your goal is simply to be the one with the most articles so that you can say “I have the most articles.”

I am curious about one thing. Do you have any websites you can point us to as success stories using the strategies that you write about in your newsletter?

Comment provided January 8, 2007 at 9:59 AM

Kathleen Gage writes:

Great post Allen. Wondering if you could outline what your criteria is on the directories. I have someone who submits my articles for me, so to have specific guidelines for her on the type and quality of directory would be incredibly helpful.

One thing I am curious about Chimezirim is if you have posted so many articles, when I did a google search on your name it didn’t come up as much as one would think based on the numbers you stated.

Just curious.

Kathleen Gage
The Street Smarts Speaker

Comment provided January 8, 2007 at 10:09 AM

Allen Taylor writes:

Kathleen, excellent question.

First, I love your website! I signed up for your newsletter. However, you have a broken link from “Kathleen Gage” to “Resources.”

I am still working on my criteria, but as a general rule I look at the following as a minimum:

1) The “look and feel.” I think design is important.
2) The amount and types of article categories available
3) Domain name – Does the directory have its own domain name? If not, why not? Some directories exist for the benefit of the owner so they can get free article content to boost their SE saturation and page ranks. I don’t like them as much.
4) Reputation. What other publishers and article writers say? Is the owner’s reputation credible?
5) How many hoops do I have to jump through to get published? It shouldn’t be too hard. There is one directory out there that is a real pain the butt to submit to, meaning every single entry field on their submit form has to meet their specific guidelines and if there is a slight error I have to go back and fix it and it doesn’t tell me every error at the same time; I get one error message, fix the problem then another message, fix the problem. It’s too much hassle.
6) Distribution. Obviously, this one is a strike against EzineArticles, but EzineArticles has other things going for it so it’s not a big ding. But I do like other directories that distribute articles broadly. Sometimes you have to pay for extra distribution but at times that is worth it. I like having the option.
7) Terms of Service. Some directories accept anything and everything. I don’t like them. EzineArticles has strict terms. I like that. It says they have standards and standards are important. I like running with people who have standards and stick to them.
8) Innovation. Are they using somebody else’s template or did they create their own style? IMHO, there are too many Article Dashboard directories out there. AD itself isn’t bad because they meet some of my criteria, but I wouldn’t submit to most of the sites that use their software because they are just a copy of somebody else.
9) Traffic. Is the site well trafficked? If not, my articles aren’t likely to get picked up by publishers. That’s one thing I like about Article Dashboard. I know if I put an article there it will likely get picked up. This is also something EzineArticles has going for it. Any directory that can’t promote itself to search engines well isn’t going to be good at promoting my articles to publishers. Traffic is important.

These are just a few I came up with. There is no particular order of importance. They’re all important.

There are likely other criteria that I could add to this, but this should give you an idea of what I look for in a directory. I am both an author and a publisher so a good directory should be able meet my needs as both.

Comment provided January 8, 2007 at 10:45 AM

I’ll start with Allen’s post…

A lot of folks miss the point in article marketing: You are not only capitalizing on visitors that go directly to such directories, you are also taking advantage of their standing with the SE’s.

It pays me a lot more to submit a new well-optimized article on EzineArticles than on my new site that has a PR of 0. It is my experience that such articles get indexed faster and ranked higher than if I placed them on my site. So about the diseconomies of “too many” articles…

If you do your keyword research very well and write search engine-friendly articles using the long tail principle (That is targeting 100’s and even 1000’s of low volume/low competition related keywords), you’ll hardly saturate a niche or theme without doing a few thousand articles.

Now, if you successfully submit, say, 3,000 great articles covering a total of 1500 related keywords, you’ll easily rank high for those 1500 low volume/low competition keywords.

EzineArticles is the best as far as I am concerned. However, there are others that are doing quite well. I am currently cherry-picking from over 650 article directories and sites that allow you to post your article with a link back.

Having publishers pick up your articles is a reason for submitting to article directories. However, I don’t like to wait for things to happen that’s why I prefer to submit them to as many directories as make sense to me.

And to Kathleen’s concerns…

My criteria for selecting my 200 article directories are simple…

Make sure they don’t repurpose my articles

Make sure they can give me up to 10 page views per article per month

Make sure they are not in bad standing with the search engines

Make sure they are not likely to pack up tomorrow (When an article directory keeps telling me for two weeks that they can’t accept my articles due to a back log, I know something is wrong)

Make sure articles I submit are posted and not kept in an offline database

Check my site log from time to time for referrers and stop submitting to those who do not send me up to 20 visitors monthly.

I have only 184 articles here at EzineArticles at the moment. If you check for Chimezirm on Google you’ll find just about 15500 pages. The results I got from those few submissions have inspired me greatly.

If your concern is whether I will meet my target, just check my name by the end of the first quarter. You folks are really giving me the leverage I need to succeed.

On a final note…

Is there a way of stopping publishers who have cheesy sites from picking up your articles? I like doing what I can, adjusting as I see or DON’T see results. I don’t want to keep wishing great publishers pick up my articles for the truth is…

The best of publishers do not pick articles from directories.

Comment provided January 8, 2007 at 10:57 AM

Everyone has their own specific goals and for the most part each is as valid as the other.

Example, an article directory that increases saturation and link pop is valid if the person built it for that reason.

As far as article submissions, I use very few directories. The reason being I don’t want link popularity from the directory as much as I want link pop from the blogs and websites that use the content after they find it in an article directory.

If they used my article, it’s likely their blog or website is related to my own and the link is much more valuable than the links directories.

Too many people think that article marketing means writing an article and getting it into as many directories as possible. They believe this is what helps them build backlinks.

Webmasters and bloggers don’t use content from every single article directory out there. They go to well-known article directories to find content.

I’ll use EzineArticles.com as an example since this is where we are. People who need content come here to get it. I want my articles here for them to find, not because I get a linkback from EzineArticles.com

However, that being said, since many of my articles are about article marketing and related topics, the links from EzineArticles.com actually is a related link for me.

But if I was writing about auto parts that link wouldn’t be that helpful. However, when an automotive related blog or website uses my article on auto parts they found here in this directory, then I do have a related link that helps me.

My 2 cents worth anyway.

Comment provided January 8, 2007 at 11:06 AM

Chimezirim Chinecherem Odimba wrote “The best of publishers do not pick articles from directories.”

Many good publishers do. I’ve had plenty of articles picked up by high-traffic, high PR websites, that were related to my topics because they found the article in an article directory.

Many articles written for clients have found the same happening. One client we submitted articles for last month has had them picked up by WebProNews.com and others.

When you do enough volume it’s easier to see these results happening, but rest assured there are publishers looking for content in the article directories.

Comment provided January 8, 2007 at 12:02 PM

Allen Taylor writes:

Thanks NameCritic for reenforcing my point.

Chimezirim, I didn’t see it from that perspective, but if that strategy works for you then more power to you. I suppose if you are looking for a quick fix to monetization because you have a hot product to sell right now and you want to snag a quick $10,000-$20,000 this month then that your strategy will probably work for the short term.

But for most of us, I think the long-term strategy is best. If you run a service business as I do and you want people to know you’ll be around next year, two years from now, five and 10 years from now and you want them to trust you, then a long-term and consistent strategy is better for article marketing.

Comment provided January 8, 2007 at 1:01 PM

Right Allen!

This is one of the reasons I love article marketing because you CAN NOT GET RICH QUICK…

It’s much easier to build up your article inventory and build a base of credibility and trust with your readers over the years…

If we were in it for the short-term… ewwww, things would get ugly.

Comment provided January 8, 2007 at 1:04 PM

You know I am pretty certain with a team of 5 writers we could do 200 articles a day without any problem. How would it be done?

Well first, the writers would get one paragraph kick off and a title from me each morning of 40 articles. One paragraph being about 50 words, which I would do on voice.

The night before I would make 200 titles, especially with correct key words and set off the pace. At the bottom of each page would be 3 sentences with ideas to add in. I would do the paragraphs, titles and 3-sentences using Dragon 8.0 and then email the files to each person.

After they did ten, they would email them back to me and I would have an editor read them add in key word content, perhaps re-work some sentences and then post them. Since I know I could personally add 70 articles per day, as I have done this before for weeks on end, I would pick up slack too.

I think or actually I know it could be done. And I also know that I personally could compete with a robot article writer and human editor/poster or a team of 10-20 article writers and most likely prevail. But that is just my level of competitive ability and ego talking. But I proved I could do it.

You know a person who is well versed in 30 Industries and read thousands of books and experienced a life time of endeavors and has a good Voice Recognition system can easily put out 12,000 words a day. I have averaged before 16,800 words a day for weeks at a time using the one-title, one-paragraph, 3-sentences while it is fresh in my mind method, then gone back and finished them all off, with voice. And 3-4 minute read thru edit and post.

Sure it could be done, but talk is cheap, the number to beat is 10,150 and climbing. Perhaps mid February it will be 11,111 and so good luck catching me even with your 12-20 writers. Even cheating, it would be a feat in its self. Oh and I am originally from Missouri, if that means anything to you?

Comment provided January 9, 2007 at 2:40 AM