That Was Going To Be My First Article

John writes:

i am so upset. I just wrote a great article about [deleted] and right when i was going to add the bio i clicked over the Author guidelines to read the protocol and couldn’t get back to my article to finish it. it was about 1200 words at that point. very well thought out and put together. Why are websites designed to loose pages like that? what a drag. that was going to be my first article.

Sorry to hear that… I see that you’re on AOL and using IE7 for your browser. Websites are not designed to lose pages like this. I was able to duplicate the problem and I’ve opened up a tech trouble ticket internally to find a solution to fix it. This is a problem that we can prevent in the future and we’ll have a small change in our software for this before the week is over.

I’m sharing this story today in the blog to encourage all authors to always save a local backup of your article. We’ll keep investing in new autosave and backup technologies so you shouldn’t have to save a backup of your article, but if you’re going to crank out 1,200 new original words, it would only take a 1-2 seconds to save a copy of it also in a MS Word document or any text editor outside of our EzineArticles membership interface.

Pamela Beers writes:

AARRGGHH!! How frustrating!

I always write an article in Microsoft Word and then edit, copy & paste it to the EzineArticles team. Saves time a loads of frustration.

Comment provided January 31, 2007 at 9:20 AM

David Phillips writes:

Yes, I second that. It is definitely best to write your article in say notepad, save it and then copy and paste to a website such as This is especially true when you have a graphic challenge which bounces your first attempt.

Comment provided January 31, 2007 at 9:26 AM

Bill Haynes writes:

I have a Word folder dedicated to EzineArticles submissions. It guards against the problem encountered by John.

Comment provided January 31, 2007 at 9:34 AM

S Hill writes:

This happened to me a number of times when I first started writing articles.

In a few months you will look back and laugh.

Comment provided January 31, 2007 at 10:08 AM

I agree. I write and edit articles in a text editor and copy them over to EzineArticles. If I make further edits while putting an article onto EzineArticles, I also add those changes back to my local copy. I keep all of my final articles together on my local computer. It makes it easy to submit articles to other sites and to repurpose articles for use on my own Web site.

Comment provided January 31, 2007 at 10:18 AM

Judith writes:

Another tip is to always have a text copy of your article available by request and/or by autoresponder on your site.

Because I offer the ability to ask for a text version, I have folks requesting the text version of my articles all the time through my site. This also allows me to see who is requesting the info and have their contact information!

Plus you always have a backup text copy that you can them format for any article site based on their requirements.

Comment provided January 31, 2007 at 10:28 AM

Hey Judith,

Ahhh, memory lane.

That’s how EzineArticles was from 1999-August 3rd of 2004… where the only way to view the full article was via autoresponder.

Comment provided January 31, 2007 at 10:38 AM

Ramon Greenwood writes:

You can spare yourself a lot of misery by going the write-edit- copy-and-paste route. The file the document.

Comment provided January 31, 2007 at 11:09 AM

Edward Weiss writes:

I feel your pain. I do the same thing as many of the authors above. I write first in Word then cut and paste.

There’s nothing more frustrating than losing your work. But once you go through it once, you probably won’t have it happen again.

Comment provided January 31, 2007 at 11:17 AM

Pamela Beers writes:

Oops! I believe I said in comment #1 that I paste my articles to the EzineArticles team. Hm-m-m could be a new team uniform.

I have visions of all of you wonderful folks at running around with articles pasted all over your bodies.

Good grief…I think I need a vacation! The frozen tundra in upstate New York is getting to me. Not enough sunshine.

Comment provided January 31, 2007 at 11:18 AM

You do need a vacation… someplace sunny and warm perhaps, waves crashing, return to fitness or stretching or reading, etc.

We’re actually more of an ‘electron’ office instead of an ‘atom’ office and don’t print out any articles. In fact, I think we went through 2-3 reems of paper all last year.

If any of our team came in only wearing articles, that would be a very scary.

April on our team did put together a PJ day on the Friday I was in Mexico recently…so I guess I’m not the only one who wants to have fun at work.

Comment provided January 31, 2007 at 11:56 AM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

Save your work, back it up, and post it on your website for security. It’s all required.

Comment provided January 31, 2007 at 12:11 PM

john writes:

Thanks very much you guys. After thinking my blunder over and talking with a very techie friend last nite till 5 in the morning about just these kind of things this whole event is already putting a slight smile on my face, albeit a small one. It’s all about coming up to speed. Of course the word document is the no brainer. In fact i just wrote this little blurb in Word first and copied up to here — haha – no not really – just kidding . Thanks again for the all the advice, well taken.
john take care

Comment provided January 31, 2007 at 1:28 PM

You were not alone John… and thanks for having the courage to post on this thread.

BTW, we’ve already solved the problem within your membership interface that caused your article submission failure. I just received word an hour ago that our programmers changed it so that viewing the Editorial Guidelines while submitting an article will open up a new browser session and that’ll prevent the issue that caused your 1200 word loss.

It’s still a good practice to save a local copy though. :)

Comment provided January 31, 2007 at 1:46 PM

Aidan Bindoff writes:

I use the “Save Draft” feature within frequently.

By the way, John, see if you can split your 1200 word articles up. 3 short articles will always get more page hits combined than 1 long article in my experience (unless your article makes it into the “most viewed” category, then length doesn’t matter).

Comment provided January 31, 2007 at 4:59 PM

Boy I hate that too. Now I write all my articles in word and post them later, so if that happens I still have a copy. 1200 words and 1/3 down the third page what a bummer, heck I get upset when I lose a 500 word email. I cannot imagine the travesty of losing such an excellent article, bummer.

Comment provided February 1, 2007 at 12:22 AM

john writes:

Hey Lance. Yes truth be known i was shook by the incident. truth be known i’d say i had to sleep it off like a hangover. Got a new article done though and the right way – With Word , copy paste , and seamlessly submitted . How easy is that !!
Now i wait anxiously to see about acceptance/approval by the gods.

thanks again

Comment provided February 1, 2007 at 2:45 AM

John, since you put so much effort into your articles send me the next couple by email; Lance AT Carwashguys . com

I read a lot and anyone who can compose a well thought out 1200 article must have something to say of importance that I can learn from.

I am sure you can recall most of your 1200 word article or at least the concept is still fresh in your mind. If so at least make an outline so you can write it later when you are not cursing the universe for their untimely Murphy’ism.

Comment provided February 1, 2007 at 3:05 AM

Steve writes:

I have always wondered how and why you write so many articles.

Is it for the backward links or for the traffic that comes via the articles?

I am proud if I manage to write and submit seven articles per week. I am aware that you are retired but your achievements are quite astonishing.

Comment provided February 1, 2007 at 7:13 AM

I hope John doesn’t mind (he seems like a pretty nice guy) that I share his first article:,-The-Risk-Associated-To-Shoeing-Practices&id=438525

The only advice I have is to limit your paragraphs to no more than 7 sentences.

Other than that, glad to see your original article! :)

Comment provided February 1, 2007 at 7:52 AM

One more thing John:

You may want to change this statement:

Copy rights allowed providing nothing is changed.

To something more like this:

Reprint rights allowed provided nothing is changed.

Reason: Some people will think “Copy rights” to mean the same as “I can copy your content and take away your rights of ownership”. The words “REPRINT RIGHTS” spells out your intention in better language.

Comment provided February 1, 2007 at 7:54 AM

Lyle Cochran writes:

Creating articles with an editor off-line is definitely the way to go. There is also another good way to create and store your articles. Try Google Docs and Spreadsheets. It’s free and allows you to share the your docs with others for editing.

Comment provided February 1, 2007 at 9:54 AM

john writes:

Wow ! that was fast . my article got published. This is kinda exciting and fun at the same time. thanks for encouraging ideas and thoughts. looking forward to getting those first 12 articles done now. Will certainly need to brush up more on skills and thank you for the tips Chris K. Lance i’ve got your email , i’ll send a couple other future articles your way. Appreciate your interest. ciao – blasting off into the stratosphere now on cloud nine. LOL

Comment provided February 1, 2007 at 12:54 PM

Looks like you have some talent there John, well I must say it is good to meet you. Keep up the great work. I have written an article to answer your question why I have written a few articles myself.

Comment provided February 1, 2007 at 9:42 PM

john writes:

Lance , i would like to see that article . just don’t have a clue about where to locate it . Can you direct me ?

Comment provided February 1, 2007 at 11:05 PM

John, it is in my Author Article section until it is approved tomorrow.

Comment provided February 1, 2007 at 11:24 PM

john writes:

Hey Lance. just looked at your list of articles. wow. you’re traveling is appears. That sounds like a great life . I’ve entertained the idea of somehow being able to do that as well. You know – perhaps sit at the computer at the end of the evening in a motor home and write or develop websites somehow to generate income to sustain the lifestyle. i have a passion for fly fishing. anyway just a passing thought at the moment . what i’m writing here for is i notice some of the articles posted in EZarticle have a little picture posted in the bio like your do. Can you enlighten me how to do that. I have a little pic of me shoeing i’d like to post like that .
take care
best wishes.

Comment provided February 1, 2007 at 11:58 PM

Sometimes when I find a great spot, I feel guilty as the view is so great and the freedom so awesome. But after working 27 years with no days off for usually 17 hours a day, I do deserve it. .

Some of the places I have been in Montana, Canadian Rockies, Idaho, Washington, Alaska, West Virginia, New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, California, Oregon and such is some of the most beautiful places on the planet. And parking on a vista over looking it all, makes the creative juices flow.

Of course as former city dweller, I like the action too in places like LA, San Francisco, Seattle, Denver, Phoenix, Houston, Austin, Dallas, Kansas City, Chicago, Memphis, Birmingham, Nashville, Atlanta, Orlando, Tampa, Miami, Jacksonville, DC, New York, Philly, Boston, Pittsburgh, Louisville, Detroit, Indianapolis, Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Salt Lake, Las Vegas, Portland, Boise, Albuquerque, Green Bay, Milwaukee, well heck I could go on forever.

Been to every city in the US over 10,000 people now. Its all good. Civilization rocks, the rural areas are reality based and the scenic beauty of American is awesome. God Bless America! There is a lot to be said by living life on your own terms and freedom and liberty are definitely the way to go. Boy are there some great Fly Fishing places in MT, WY and ID, you would not believe it, absolutely stunning. No wonder it is so addicting.

For posting your picture, I think you go into your Authors Area and click on ‚¬“Profile Manager‚¬ and then on ‚¬“Edit Author Bio‚¬ and then just follow the easy instructions. In fact I need to upgrade my picture, it makes me look too old and serious. But maybe that is good for the reader, I have not decided yet? Anyway, make sure your picture is in low resolution otherwise it will be too many bytes and it will not accept it. So set the digital camera that way when you take the picture. – Lance

Comment provided February 2, 2007 at 12:24 AM

john writes:

Hey Lance, thanks for that. Wow you’ve been around. I agree with you regarding the Montana areas. I managed to spend three straight weeks flyfishing all over the state, just amazing. Then had to go back with a friend for another two weeks for the same. Great stuff.
ok thanks again.

Comment provided February 2, 2007 at 4:47 AM

Near Big Sky is simply awesome and along Hwy 12 outside of Missouli is killer. Also along the Salmon River there are some great places. Glacier Park is awesome. You know there is a great untapped spot near Casper, WY.

Some very famous people go there, movers and shakers of the World in fact. You never know who you might see in these places, unbelievable. Although I am retired now this might be interesting, maybe you have seen our teams out and around Billings, Helena, Bozeman, Missoula or Butte.

Comment provided February 2, 2007 at 6:09 AM

Here’s the article Lance wrote about why he has written so many articles:

Comment provided February 2, 2007 at 7:51 AM

john writes:

You know i just have to make a comment about this past couple days here have been my first attempt at article submission here. Only place i have ever left any other submissions have been at a couple blogs. I had NO idea what i was going to find here. What i have found seems to be a very very well run program. Responses so far have been quck. And help, i get the feeling the crew at EzineArticles. seems to be right there to my surprise to offer every avenue of help as they see it come up, and without me asking them directly for it , now that was something i was not prepared for and i just have to say so far i’m impressed. Feels like a good family here. Ok , maybe that last statement reflects my newbie status here so i apologize in advance it if i’ve rub anyone in the wrong way. it’s a good day.

Comment provided February 2, 2007 at 10:02 AM

Steve Hill writes:

John you sound like what I do when I am drunk, i.e telling my wife how much I love her!

Keep writing bud but stay off the bud!

Comment provided February 2, 2007 at 3:44 PM

Steve, killing brain cells getting drunk is not very noble and pretty pathetic if you wish to create good content. But in a way maybe you can destroy your brain so you can relate better with 80% of the rest of the human population? So, is this your strategy Steve?

Comment provided February 5, 2007 at 7:39 PM

Steve Hill writes:

Rather harsh, I have a few drinks to reward myself after a week of producing new, quality content for the many webmasters out there!

Comment provided February 6, 2007 at 2:35 AM

You should not promote drinking on the Internet. Rewarding yourself with poison is an interesting concept indeed? Getting drunk is more than rewarding yourself. Sound like a weakness, slackard and such.

Comment provided February 6, 2007 at 2:52 AM

Your view is a bit extremist because drinking in moderation is not poison, nor a weakness. He didn’t say he was going to tie-one-on and get drunk out of his mind.

While some cultures go for a run or head into the gym for some fitness, other cultures head to the pub.

….Ok, let’s keep this thread on topic so I don’t have to close it.

Comment provided February 6, 2007 at 6:24 AM

Steve Hill writes:

Thanks Chris, he is always bullying me!

Comment provided February 6, 2007 at 6:45 AM