JF Directory Awards-2006

EzineArticles expert author Jonathan Farrington has an interesting entry on “The JF Directory Awards for 2006.”

According to Jonathan, speed of publication of submitted articles is #1 in importance, followed by visual presentation of the articles and fast author support responsiveness.

Besides naming some of our better competitors, he also identifies several business niche sites that are worth a look especially if you write business management or sales training & management articles.

Lastly, an ‘attaboy’ to Jonathan for including his ezine (Jonathan Farrington’s Newsletter For Dedicated Sales Professionals) in his EzineArticles expert author bio.

Worth noting that the “twenty” recommended sites have now been culled to thirteen and actually, as from tomorrow, twelve!

This was not due entirely to last week’s EzineArticles blog on the subject, but it certainly had some bearing – so my primary objective of participating here i.e. to learn, is being achieved.

Comment provided January 21, 2007 at 4:10 PM

I copied off your list Jonathan from before.

I get so confused by conflicting advise though.

First I post my articles on MY WEBSIE… incl. blogs? If so how many?

and on the second day I post on ezines?

I had someone tell me that I should NOT post the same text on an ezine as I have on my website. Sooo??

Also, if I am looking for a nitch ezine how do I know they are good or not? Or do I even bother with nitch ezines?

I keep hearing different things.

Comment provided January 21, 2007 at 4:16 PM

Another thing,

In past blogs EzineArticles has talked about presentation and the use of white spaces.

There is one ezine on your list Jonathan that no longer allows hard line breaks. I assume they mean that I can’t post my words artistically because when I have posted with them, artistically they write back that I need to correct it. Boy that stinks for poetry.

Am I right about this?

Comment provided January 21, 2007 at 4:25 PM

Yes, I became terribly frustrated with that particular site too and if you look at my new list of recommendations – post “cull” – you will see that they no longer remain. http://jonathanfarringtonsblog.com

I do need to reiterate though, my list is specific to business/sales/leadership/marketing and as I have hinted in the past, there must be an abundance of sites that specialise in your field?

The reality is, none of the so called “niche” sites afford us the overall quality of service we receive here and for that, we remain both grateful and loyal.

Comment provided January 21, 2007 at 4:38 PM

You know I really like Jonathan’s articles. It is a breath of fresh air, a reality check if you will. Well that is all I have to say and why Jonathan is on my reading list of favorite authors. I was wondering when EzineArticles.com would find this treasure in their midsts. – Lance

Comment provided January 21, 2007 at 7:48 PM

Thank you very much – that is indeed an accolade and I am extremely flattered.

Comment provided January 22, 2007 at 2:37 AM

David writes:

I’d like to agree with your comments.
So many authors are just in it for the links instead of building long-term credibility.
Just because a business is online, it doesn’t mean that it shouldn’t apply exactly the same principles as a conventional business. Jonathan is somebody who embraces this ethos.

Comment provided January 22, 2007 at 3:22 AM

Ed Howes writes:

Jonathan has thoughtfully provided a fine service and testimonial. Thank you Jonathan. The shrinking support of submission sites is becoming a common fact of life as I see it. I often begin with enthusiastic support of new submission sites only to be disappointed with their performance. .

More than six months ago I was smitten with one of those on Jonathan’s list. I loved its author orientation and submitted many dozens of articles. I also worked a writing assignment feature to get home page exposure. As long as I did so my view counts were good, mostly due to the home page exposure. The moment I gave up home page exposure, my view counts dropped like a stone. Since they offer no further distribution, I wrote them off already.

The first submission I made to EzineArticles was rejected do to hard line breaks and it was a few weeks before I queried to find out what that meant. I would later read an article about formatting submissions at EzineArticles and solved my problem for all submission sites I used. Plain text works for me but I see how it could cause problems for others such as our beloved Kathy, writing poems. Maybe Jonathan will need to do a quarterly review, things change so quickly, or do not when they should.

If Jonathan was reviewing online author communities, his work would be vastly sim10caplified. :-)

Comment provided January 22, 2007 at 11:41 AM

Ed Howes writes:

simplified. :-)

Comment provided January 22, 2007 at 11:45 AM

First of all, I think I would be very happy if my work was “vastly sim10caplified” – sounds much more fun!!

With regard to updating my list of recommended submision sites, you are so right – witness the abbreviated list which has been reduced since my original blog just before Christmas.

I think it is absolutely vital that we authors feel that we are receiving consistent support and a proper return on the investment we are making in terms of our time.

The arrival of Google’s Analytics has made it so much easier to accurately identify which sites are referring visitors and as a consequence, I can make objective decisions when I need to “cull”

Having said that, I know in my heart (which is hardly objective) which sites/communities, I enjoy writing for and being part of and I have the opportunity to show my gratitude via the JF Awards – which I can share with you is somewhat “tongue in cheek” but the sentiments are very genuine.

I will continually review my list, say on a quarterly basis, so do please feel free to share “my experiences”

Comment provided January 22, 2007 at 12:08 PM

It is all kind of funny really. EzineArticles feels like my home because of the blog contact and of course its notoriety. Who doesn’t want to be part of a winning team?

Posting on other ezines feels like I am off on a short holiday ya know? Then I come back home and post my new articles.

EzineArticles is like a cozy spot next to the fire. I can ask for directions, have close contact. I am not just left out here floundering.

Darn cool!

PS.. Ed, what a cutie thing to write. That is all part of what I mean about EzineArticles.

Comment provided January 22, 2007 at 12:53 PM

After asking someone this morning about RSS she told me that the RSS buzz has died down to the point that she is not sure if people are actually using it.

Should I make sure I have it? I know so little about it and this may be a really stupid question, if so, sorry.

Comment provided January 22, 2007 at 1:48 PM

RSS is huge and the traffic it helps create for this site and our authors is in the hundreds of thousands of monthly page views…and will most likely be in the millions of total page views before the year is over.

Make no mistake… RSS and the impact it has on traffic and usability is extremely important.

Every single publisher on Earth who has a website, should have RSS feeds for everything they can plus they should have keyword searchable RSS feeds. Consult your CMS (Content Management System) provider for help.

Comment provided January 22, 2007 at 2:12 PM

Wow! I am glad I asked.

I kept wondering who I could ask. I felt stupid about posting it here but how else does one learn?

RSS here I come!

Comment provided January 22, 2007 at 2:23 PM

David writes:

RSS is going to be even bigger in the future as it’s integrated into the new Windows Operating system (Vista). So website owners can’t afford to miss out on it!

I thought I’d also join the Jonathan’s debate of article directories that are best to regularly post in. The three that I regularly submit to are:

http://www.EzineArticles.com – the biggest and most comprehensive
http://www.iSnare.com – a great distribution service
http://www.BuildYourOwnBusiness.biz – err… well I’d be daft not to ;)

Comment provided January 22, 2007 at 3:10 PM

Egads David!

You didn’t mean to call EzineArticles a ‘directory’ did you?

(meaning to make light here of course)

Comment provided January 22, 2007 at 3:21 PM

Ed Howes writes:

I intended to address some of your previous questions. Thanks for reminding me with your P.S.. I have read it is good to have some exclusive content on one’s own website and I would expect they should be keyword rich.

More and more I am beginning to think we should be promoting EzineArticles all over the web and drive traffic here. I have done some of this in the past, posting essays about EzineArticles on other submission sites. Never had one rejected to my knowledge.

There are abundant niche and writer sites, some I have seen and liked. Folks like Bonnie Jo Davis – Articles That Sell, advertises on this blog page and will surprise me with the occasional gem in my inbox. This is the easy way. Get the seekers to tell you what you might want to check out.

Send me an Email from my website and I will give you the link for Painter’s Keys. This operator can provide you with some great global exposure and he puts out a good twice weekly Ezine too.

Comment provided January 22, 2007 at 3:28 PM

Thanks Ed!

Darn, I wish I had not made the mistake of posting my text for my website on 2 ezines, this one and another, B4 I posted it on my website. Should not have done that at all huh?

I think I better think about rewriting my website text huh?… bummer.

I do post EzineArticles on my blogs and ‘constantly’ encourage other artists to write and post here. I will continue to of course.

Thanks for the other niche sites!

I am alredy connected to Painter’s Keys, they are one of my links. A really good site indeed.

Aloha for the suggestions.

Comment provided January 22, 2007 at 3:46 PM

Edward Weiss writes:

Just finished reading the “list.” I love award or favorites lists and this one is quite good. I’ve submitted to Buzzle and some of the other directories mentioned by John but – I always find myself back here.

Could it be the community Chris has built? Absolutely. It’s good to feel a part of something. Even if it’s in cyberspace. :)

Comment provided January 22, 2007 at 3:54 PM

Ed Howes writes:

I don’t think before and after matter much when we are talking just a few days. Perhaps a few weeks and a search on your title? I don’t think you need to rewrite anything for your site, unless the well has run dry. Just a few pieces you do not publish elsewhere at all. Do I need to tell you I am only guessing here? :’)

Comment provided January 22, 2007 at 4:59 PM

S Downing writes:

I think that goarticles and ideamarketers should really have been included in his list, but this is just my opinion of course.

EzineArticles is the best of course!

Comment provided January 23, 2007 at 7:02 AM

Ed Howes writes:

I believe Chris has endorsed these two directories in the past. I began publishing with them four years ago and still do so on occasion. Marnie Pehrson at Idea Marketers is a marketing genius and if I was willing to spend money for traffic, I would not hesitate to publish more there. My impression is it is an extremely good site for business and marketing especially. I expect when EzineArticles begins providing premium paid services for authors, Ideamarketers will provide a valuable model of possibilities.

Comment provided January 23, 2007 at 10:57 AM

Thanks Ed

Yes I think you are right. My site is still getting good traffic so why freak out?

I need to concentrate on RSS feed it sounds like first and foremost.

Ahh EzineArticles has saved my day again.

Buzzle is my other choice, they are great.

Comment provided January 23, 2007 at 1:10 PM

I was interviewed last night by a New York radio station.

Darn cool!

I just wanted you to know that I plugged EzineArticles and one other at least 3-4 times.

Yay team!

Comment provided January 23, 2007 at 4:05 PM

Ed Howes writes:

Kickbacks for Kathy! A complete EzineArticles wardrobe!

Comment provided January 23, 2007 at 5:37 PM

In pink please.

Comment provided January 23, 2007 at 5:42 PM

Shared by “one other” of course!!

Are you going to illuminate us Kathy? Should I be extending my list? Oh, and well done you!

Ed: You may be interested to learn that as a result of your comments, I was contacted by a site that I feel certain you will be familiar with, asking if I would consider “hosting” a “Business Article Of The Week” section.

Interesting concept! “Monthly/Quarterly Play Offs” with an annual “Oscar”

If only I had the time!

Comment provided January 23, 2007 at 5:49 PM

Ed Howes writes:

I am utterly delighted by this news and assuming you would have homepage exposure for one month? Surely you would not need a whole lot of time to do it, or a priority change. I sure hate to see such an opportunity missed.

Comment provided January 23, 2007 at 6:00 PM

I am all about sharing… which is why I mentioned it. I was just not sure how appropriate it was for me to post it.

I am actually a ‘rule follower” and fret and worry when I break the rules. Maybe that is what sparked me to write so much when the 10 rules were posted for EzineArticles…ha ha!

YAY Jonathan!! About ‚¬“hosting‚¬ a ‚¬“Business Article Of The Week‚¬ section. So darn cool!

I think it is all about stiring up the creative energy sometimes. Next thing you know that buzz you thought you heard is a huge swarm bringing in the honey.

Comment provided January 23, 2007 at 6:01 PM

My computer crashed last year. After it was fixed I didn’t have email for awhile but I had http://www... so I started going to Oprah groups. I LOVE OPRAH! I met Nicole, the gal who interviewed me last night on one of Oprah’s groups. It all just goes to show… be nice to everyone.

Who knows… maybe one ‘right’ person heard me and sometimes that is all it takes… right?

Radio info: http://www.artistfirst.com

Comment provided January 23, 2007 at 6:29 PM

Ed/Kathy et.al.

You are very persuasive! I have “kicked” the idea around for a couple of days, brain-stormed it, white-boarded it, even produced a consequential analysis and objectively, it works. The time issue really is critical but I am certain I can coerce some of my generous staff to assist me from time to time.

Subjectively, it also feels right as it produces so many “wins” for an awful lot of people.

I will open preliminary discussions next week and see how far we get. It will need support from several key communities/directories etc but I do believe that endorsement will be forthcoming as they have so much to gain and it will not be a competitive initiative – in fact totally the opposite.

At the end of the day, I would not want to stray very far away from my existing “preferred” list when selecting winners.

Finally, something you should know: It was suggested that as well as selecting the best articles every week/month/quarter/year, I should also select the worst!!

I hope I could never, ever be that unkind or arrogant.

OK, that is the news.

Comment provided January 24, 2007 at 10:43 AM

David Bain writes:

Thought I’d let you know that today’s edition of the SitePro Newsletter gives a six point plan on how to inplement your own RSS feed:

Hope that’s not too off-topic!

Comment provided January 24, 2007 at 11:18 AM

Ed Howes writes:

Yesterday everything sounded so simple. I just imagined an hour or two writing fresh content. If one is into staff rewards, bribery becomes unnecessary. :-)

This weekend a cyber friend and I discussed a hearsay consumer site. A public testimonial directory and archive. And a Complaint department. One who suggestets publishing a worst of list has not thought it through. Who in their right mind would want the job?

Comment provided January 24, 2007 at 11:57 AM

Ed H,

A friend of mine has a customer complaint website.

I think he’s nuts for having it as it invites libel, slander, lawsuits, etc.

He views it as his way of helping people to avoid being ripped off.

This sort of site only works when it’s owned by someone who has nothing to lose as it’s an enemy creator.

Life is short. Make friends, not war… etc.

Comment provided January 24, 2007 at 12:05 PM

An RSS expert author worth tracking is Rok from Slovenia: http://ezinearticles.com/?expert=Rok_Hrastnik

He hasn’t posted any new articles in a while, but he does a very good job at going deep on RSS from a laymans viewpoint… especially if you’re into marketing/metrics and not the tech side of RSS.

Comment provided January 24, 2007 at 12:08 PM

Thank you so much for the RSS links. very cool.

YES… posting the worse.. is a terrible idea and asking for major trouble. I can’t even begin to imagine the problems that would come up by doing that. Ewww!

Comment provided January 24, 2007 at 12:16 PM

Yes, I agree – “hiding to nothing” time and an open invitation for abuse.

The argument put forward by my erstwhile friend, was that by “exposing” sub-standard work, I would in effect be helping to raise standards.

However, my own view, which is in line with your own, is that the argument is flawed in as much as any opinion can only be subjective: What I might consider to be uninteresting or poorly written, someone else might enjoy.

I tend to apply the F.I.P formula to most things in life and reading other authors work is no different i.e.

Was it Fun – did I enjoy reading it?
Was it Interesting – did I learn anything?
Was it Profitable – in terms of the time I have invested in reading it.

If the answer is Yes often enough, I will look out for those authors’ submissions.

I haven’t got as far as Lance yet and created a “favourite author” list but I will as soon as I have a little more time, because I know I can learn a lot.

I think that all Community/Directory chiefs would be shooting themselves in the foot if they ever contemplated becoming “quality police” Quantity will always be “King” not unaturally – let the readers/visitors determine what is good and what is dross.

Comment provided January 24, 2007 at 12:32 PM

Ed Howes writes:

Hey Jonathan,

Since every business requires some quality standards and someone to see they are enforced. From all I have read EzineArticles is very good at this and constantly improving. We now have a very growth oriented mastermind alliance here and as that grows, there will never be any growth stability. Staff becomes more and more driven, more and more help is hired and accelerated growth only stops when someone pulls the proverbial plug. Until that happens there is much good too be done.

Comment provided January 24, 2007 at 1:07 PM