Guru Sharing Fear

Blog discussion starter question of the day:

What is your biggest fear when writing articles for syndication?…and what would you do differently if you no longer had that fear?

Judith writes:

Not really a “fear” per se. But I’ve lost count of the articles of mine that are published without the resource box using their own tag line with my name/site that are not linked or with the resource box but no active links in place.

I could spend hours every day seeking out articles and e-mailing site owners about this — many of which I’ve found simply do not respond.

As far as what I would do differently — not much. I’m certainly not going to stop writing — that’s my therapy!

Comment provided January 17, 2007 at 12:52 PM

My biggest fear is that my articles will have no effect on my business. Or, even worse than not noticing my articles, what if people read them and hate them?

But, like Judith, I won’t stop because I enjoy it and it is definitely therapy.

Comment provided January 17, 2007 at 1:41 PM

Ed Howes writes:

The only fear came prior to publishing my first essay. Will I be embarrassed by my work ten or twenty years down the road? I was very aware of both the distribution potential and longevity – archiving. Re reading my earliest work has reassured me it stands up to future reading and will continue to do so.

The thing I most want to do differently now is to find an affordable webmaster to upgrade my website, add audio and simple stats so I can see what I have created so far. Later, I want to market with partners on niche marketing websites as I find appropriate partners for each niche. Dividing my time between writing, networking and education seems to be working out well.

Comment provided January 17, 2007 at 2:01 PM

Edward Weiss writes:

My biggest concern (not fear really) is when publishers decide to insert hyperlinks in my articles so they can make money off the clicks. How do you police this?

You can’t. It’s a wild, wild, web out there.

Comment provided January 17, 2007 at 2:44 PM

Ed Howes writes:

You could look at it karmically. Every time I enrich another without knowledge or consent, as in hidden taxes in the price of the goods, I see the balances of economic justice tipping in my favor. :-)

Comment provided January 17, 2007 at 3:37 PM

Louie Latour writes:

My fear is that some of the more radical ideas Chris has will reduce readership and syndication of my work.

Comment provided January 17, 2007 at 6:45 PM

There is Nothing to Fear, but Fear itself.

How about fearing that someone will use your good information that your freely give to do bad things? In other words you give information to the common good and someone takes it and does evil with it?

Comment provided January 17, 2007 at 9:22 PM

Luigi Frascati writes:

I agree with Louie Latour … and I see those two fears of reduced number of views and lesser syndication materializing already.

I said this before and still contend that the sheer number of all new sub-categories is confusing and time-consuming for the publishers and readers alike, and also unfocusing for the editors since my articles, at least, keep on showing up in the wrong sub-categories.

Perhaps offering the authors a choice of three categories per article instead of one might take care of this problem. I believe you mentioned something along these lines some time ago, Chris.

Finally, in answer to your second question I wouldn’t do anything different if I didn’t have these fears, since everything was going marvelously well before.

(**This is not a criticism. This is a … negative compliment**)

Comment provided January 18, 2007 at 1:19 AM

Well I see better use of my articles on more favorable sites. So, I would have to warn people to relate “hits” with success. Because it is the targeted traffic that matters, not just the regular traffic. But if you are merely going for AdSense then maybe you could care less about who comes to your site, only who clicks out so you get paid?

Comment provided January 18, 2007 at 2:12 AM

Tammy writes:

It’s not a fear per se, but much like Judith, I dislike–ok, maybe dread–the prospect of all the time I spend tracking down and dealing with scrapers who’ve “borrowed” my EzineArticles works without attribution. I’ve found myself putting up far fewer articles lately because I don’t have the time to spend doing all the followup with scrapers and I also don’t believe I can just ignore them.

What would I do differently if that problem magically disappeared? Put up many more articles.

Comment provided January 18, 2007 at 3:05 AM

Luigi Frascati writes:

I have no AdSense whatsoever on my site, and I believe that in my case the targeted traffic has decreased as well.

Comment provided January 18, 2007 at 3:13 AM

The Internet is Seasonal, you know that right?

Comment provided January 18, 2007 at 6:38 AM

Louie Latour writes:

Worrying about scraper sites is a complete waste of time; it’s really not even worth emailing the people doing it for several reasons:

1. There are at least a 100 things more worthy of your time; if you’re self-employed there are only so many hours in the day.
2. Scraper sites never last. They are much more likely to employ questionable SEO tactics that get them banned anyway!here today gone tomorrow.
3. If you’re going to publish your work online you cannot be emotionally attached to it. If you’re emotionally attached to your writing you should be publishing offline.

At minimum, save your best content for your own site, and use ‚¬“popcorn content‚¬ that you’re not emotionally involved with for syndication online. There are much more important things to worry about than the scrapers!

Comment provided January 18, 2007 at 10:32 AM

Many interesting comments… and some I never even considered previously. :-) This is great feedback!

Unless your topics are controversial, it’s pretty easy to not be ‘hated’ when you write… just give of your expertise without worrying if you’ll receive in return… the Universe Is Perfect.

…and slam a 6-pack of FAITH. :-)

Edward W.,

Yes, that’s one of my beefs as well… and actually, I’d rather smack my anger at the losers who create software to exploit this type of behavior.

In many cases, I don’t think the publisher who engages in this crappy behavior has any idea that he or she is being stupid… they are just incompetent… which means we could make a dent by educating folks what not to do and what a more responsible publisher looks like.

We’re currently giving up $7000-$9000 per month in revenue by NOT accepting paid sponsored keyword links on our site.

Louie L,

Yeah, a real possibility… but keep in mind that we’re here to do things that KEEP our members happy over the long term.

It’s your job to crank out quality new articles and it’s our job to find ways to deliver you more qualified visitors to your website than any other site…so the cycle continues.

I hear you… and you’ll get part of your wish sometime in 2007… sorry, can’t share more until we release the new feature set that we’re developing right now.

Lance is right… the Internet is very seasonal and different topics within our site are very seasonal. Example: the SKIING category is kicking butt right now, but come Summer, well, you get the point.

December was down by a few points in traffic over November and January is up already in traffic over December. This is all pretty normal.

Louie is absolutely correct that scraper sites NEVER last and they also NEVER rise to power over the long term.

In fact, I’ve talked about this before and I think a high percentage of authors are more emotionally attached to their articles than they’d like to admit. :)

Comment provided January 18, 2007 at 7:22 PM

Herman writes:

1. Saturation = less visitors

With so many folks submittting content on similar subjects (not to mention software that alters articles a little then spits them out) the number of visitors to your own decreases.

2. Duplicate Content

AS SEs compete they may start throwing out content that is too similar or not specific enough.

3. Stealing my articles

I’ve experienced this already…the person adds the article to their site without the resource box making it appear THEY wrote it.

Question about posts/articles on blogs..

Should you add your resource box at the end of every post or article on your blog?…I don’t..yet but DO on my main site.

Do you think visitors to your blog may then think it is not necessary to include your resource box if using the article/post on their own site?

Comment provided January 19, 2007 at 10:28 AM

My experience comes from being a published author in non-fiction dreamwork psychology to the tune of 350,000 books sold.

Yes, people have ‘stolen’ from me certain concepts and methods. But then I have ‘stolen’ from others as well.

Here’s how: dreamwork psychology as a field of information is built by thousands of dedicated experts. In reality we all say what has already been discovered but in new ways, and maybe add 5 percent new.

I use the above reminder for me not to get hot under the colar.

-I also find that some people are just evil, they intentionally destroy and steal from others. I accept this as a condition for living in this reality. I am happy mostly with this reality. I am happy mostly with the Web.

-I will fight only battles that I can have a decisive effect in. The rest of the problems I let go because I cannot be effective in solving them to my satisfaction.

-My best strategy as an innovator that I sometimes am is to write my current best information, do something effective with it, and then move on to my next current best.

In fact when I put a web page or an article up on the Web I have only First Use Rights, so if others pick up an artilce and change it without giving me further credit, I content myself that at least I used it first to benifit me.

-I may get upset personally when I feel stolen from, but to fight the oppressors takes my valuable life energy. I have the choice to use that energy in building a further positive, instead of wasting time on a negative.

-I use my time to build positives. I write new articles in new ways, rather than fight the stealers unless I have the power to deal a dicisive blow.Sometimes you do in life.

-I have self-confidence that I can keep creating new approaches to the life issues which stay with us forever. Someone steals an old article, I create two new ones.

-I don’t spend my time in life over-defending what I have. I let go of what I have, confident that I can create new to replace the old, and maybe go it even one better.

It’s all fundamental attitude. I just wrote here a new article!

Comment provided January 19, 2007 at 11:29 AM

Judith writes:

Copyright is Copyright. The problem here is that many online users are not informed on this subject and are under the incorrect perception that Copyright does not apply online. Whether you add your resource box to your Blog posts or not doesn’t negate it is your Copyright protected work that is not for others to use as they may without your permission.

If we stop pointing this out to those who steal our work, how will they ever learn? And, yes, I certainly do have other important things to do — however, I consider protecting my Copyrights and Trademarks part of doing business. In this case, complacency breeds ongoing abuse.

I have an article that I wrote to help educate the masses on the topic that is posted here at

I’ve lost count of the sites that post this article on their site and/or Blog as a tool to help educate those who want to use their collateral without permission. Many e-mailing me because it has happened to them already and they felt impotent to do anything about it. You can do something about it — help educate!

As to other comments about being emotionally attached to one’s articles — that I am not. But I do get a bit annoyed when my Copyright is not respected.

HTH! ;-)

Comment provided January 19, 2007 at 11:34 AM

Ed Howes writes:

When one’s point of view produces discomfort, one can often simply exchange it for another which gives pleasure. Both my parents are chronic worriers. I am their backlash.

Strephon gives excellent examples of viewpoint choice above and Judith makes a good point about education. It had not occured to me how many might be violating copyrights in ignorance and this points up a possible business service whichdoes a limited search on one or more of a person’s articles. When a problem is discovered, the service sends a suggestion explaining copy rights. Offenders are tagged for a re inspection in 30 days on a compliance check. Second notice would contain notice of impending legal action, including fines and punishments. Somebody with free time could organize such a service and grow into an on line detective service. But it ain’t me. :-)

Comment provided January 19, 2007 at 6:26 PM

Edward Weiss writes:

Strephon writes:

Huh? That’s all very benevolent but it is stealing and if no one does anything about it, then we are turning a blind eye.

Comment provided January 20, 2007 at 6:22 PM

STEALING OR USING? – Edward, maybe you did not understand my point: Someone taking an article of mine without acknowledging me is not stealing from me.

Stealing, logically, is only stealing if you believe some behavior is stealing, you use that attitude to judge someone else’s behavior as stealing, and you have and use power to punish that person for what you have judged as stealing.

A true story: In Sweden they took in families of refugees from a village in another country. The Swedes don’t believe in stealing from your neighbors, but these people did grow up believing in it if you could get away with it. The Swedes had problems.

If you are going to define the world in your own way you are going to have problems with it and waste a lot of your time and energy on the problems you yourself create. Your choice!

My other point is that as a writer you will be more effective and creative if you trust that you have a living source within you that creates new writings, and all you have to do is listen to it and write.

Thus you don’t need to spend time chasing down people you think are stealing from you. You can use that time to create new things.

Third point: this world is far from perfect. Always allow ten percent of your resources, time, goods, energy, friends as simply waste: stuff you lost. Get a parking ticket? Pay it and move on. Someone steals your tennis racket? Let it go and buy another. Your house burns down? Collect the insurance and buy a brick house.

Forth point: none of us are so innocent and righteous that we are not unconsciously and consciously stealing from others. We are social animals. We take things we need. We don’t always ask permission first.

It’s just so interesting! See for a lot of podcast perspectives like this.

Comment provided January 21, 2007 at 1:14 AM

Strephon Williams, Interesting Commentary for propeling thought.

Comment provided January 21, 2007 at 1:27 AM