Article Title Tip- Expand by 40 Percent

More than a year ago, I had clearly identified a pattern that indicated you could attract more traffic per article by putting high value keywords or keyphrases in the first 4 words of your article title instead of junk words (such as conjunctions).

Today, it’s clear to me that isn’t as important as it used to be and what is more important today is expanding the LENGTH of your article title by 40% more than you’re used to (unless you already write very long article titles now).

The evidence that suggests that you should only use the first 3-4 words of your title with keywords or key phrases relating to your article topic is that articles WITHOUT the first 3-4 words being primary keywords – are doing just as well.

It was much more clear cut in 200-2005, but somewhere in the middle of 2006 I began to see that this strategy was no longer as important as it once was.

MAX LENGTH that we allow here at EzineArticles is 100 CHARACTERS for your article title. Try to use more of the allowed length.
Article Title Tip Conclusion: What’s important today (in terms of attracting the maximum traffic level from every article) is expanding the length of your article titles by 30-40% more than you are now.

If you’ve been testing various article title strategies, what’s working for you in the last 3-6 months?

Lisa Sparks writes:

Hey there, Chris.

I’ve found alliterative headlines work very well for me.

Such as: Craving a Creative Kick? Try These 7 Tricks

Also using the words: Knockout and Turbo-Charge have been getting me more views than usual when used in my titles.

Anything suggesting fast results or positive forward movement seems to catch my target audience’s eye.

P.S. – Happy MLK Day!

Comment provided January 15, 2007 at 8:20 AM

Hi there…

I just have one question:

Comment provided January 15, 2007 at 8:22 AM

Louie Latour writes:

I stumbled upon this by accident and have seen the same results with my articles. I tried focusing on Keyword Densities of 4-5% on the suggestion of one Internet marketer, but had no noticeable gains; writing naturally with a longer, descriptive title seemed to be much more effective.

Comment provided January 15, 2007 at 10:22 AM

Edward Weiss writes:

I think it really has to do with how competitive the keywords you want are.

You can pretty much get in the top 10 at Google IF you use keywords that a million others aren’t trying to optimize for. This isn’t just my opinion. I’ve seen it work every time I’ve done it.

In fact, my top article (in terms of actual clicks) is one where I used a term that everyone wasn’t very popular. Plus, the title of this article isn’t very long either.

Comment provided January 15, 2007 at 11:41 AM

Michelle Devon writes:

I have found the same to be true on longer titles – not just on ezine but on every site that I use including articles on my own websites… I haven’t done any stats on it, but clearly articles with longer titles are getting more overall page views.

Comment provided January 15, 2007 at 9:47 PM

Hi Chris

I have found with my own articles and with my students that 3 things really make a difference in titles:

1. I still believe it is important to not waste your first four words

2. The longer the better IF you use your keywords again

3. Have your title end with a key word as well.

For example, one of my students has received 723 views for an article that has only been up for 26 days as of this writing –

“Sex and the Senior: 7 Secrets of Sizzling Senior Sex”

not that the word sex had anything to do with it :)

Catch you soon!

Comment provided January 15, 2007 at 11:27 PM

I totally agree with Lisa on the article titles, They make people look and click too. And I must say I have had excellent success with longer titles, interesting how well that works really. Chris is spot on.

Comment provided January 16, 2007 at 2:41 AM

S Parker writes:

I certainly agree that a longer title is better. A short and poor title can ruin a good article.

Comment provided January 16, 2007 at 6:30 AM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

I’m with Dina.

I wanna know why?

I understand the longer title, increase keywords, and use a key word at front and back of the title. If the keyword just happens to be SEX you’ve got a great catch word there.

But Why a longer title?

Comment provided January 17, 2007 at 12:22 PM

You know shortened titles do help you properly target your reader. That may mean somewhat less over all traffic, but much better click thru rates? Any thoughts on that line of reasoning or logic?

Comment provided January 17, 2007 at 9:26 PM

Dina and Jan,

By making the article title LONGER, you increase your chances of hooking more fish.

It’s like casting a bigger net instead of a small tiny one.

You do find creative ways to mention “sex” quite a few times throughout the year… not that there is anything wrong with that. ;-)

Hmmm interesting idea… and one that would have to be tested.

Technically, a shorter title would be more BROAD in focus rather than more narrow because the additional length of the article title in most cases would eliminate potential readers.

Comment provided January 18, 2007 at 7:34 PM

Yes, but the longer titles have a better potential of reaching your exact target and hopefully your reason for writing it in the first place.

Comment provided January 19, 2007 at 4:41 AM

Some Word Characteristics of Titles:

-longer vs shorter

-loaded words vs subject specific words (sex is not specific to anything except genital warts, and even here we have other types of warts)

-big words vs little words

-expert specific words or personal address words

-two key contrasting concepts or one directional words

-general concept word followed by specific

-originality of words vs general current concern words

-help and hope words vs scary, be wary words

-directly challenging words vs positive and hope caring words

-fad and trend words vs the perrenial concepts words

Which is only to suggest there are a whole number of contrasting characteristics to how people think and evaluate consciously and unconsciously.

As a writer you can evaluate what types of writing skills you now have doing titles and what you can add.

As a marketer you can do research to see which kinds of any of the above types of titles get effective response.

Comment provided January 19, 2007 at 11:48 AM